Data Mining / Analytic News Briefs, May 2010
- Google releases add-on to block its own analytics - May 31, 2010.
Stung by privacy concerns, Google has released a new add-on designed to block the information captured for Web sites that use its own Analytics service.
- Sybase IQ Adds Text Analytics, Data Mining - May 31, 2010.
New iteration of Sybase IQ brings full text search, query federation and Web-enabled analytics in to a columnar-based architecture.
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory since May 20 - May 30, 2010.
Additions to KDnuggets in companies, datasets, education, meetings, software, solutions since May 20
- The Information Management 50 - May 30, 2010.
Top Vendors Endure a Shaky Year, Look to SaaS and SOA to Buoy Revenues
- ID Analytics Gets Identity-Based Fraud Detection Patent - May 26, 2010.
Company Receives Third Patent from U.S. Patent and Trademark Office for New Detection System and Method Using Historical Identity Records
- FICO Patents 8 New Analytic Techniques - May 24, 2010.
The patents, awarded to several members of the FICO Labs team, cover breakthroughs in credit score interpretation, fraud detection, credit line optimization and other analytic technologies.
- Scientists devise algorithm to detect sarcasm - May 24, 2010.
A computer algorithm capable of identifying sarcasm in written text has been developed by Israeli researchers.
- SAP analytics appliance with HP - May 24, 2010.
SAP Business Analytic Engine will use in-memory technology and a calculation algorithm; expect 10x speed-up
- New SPSS boss navigates a sea of data - May 23, 2010.
What does the integration of SPSS into IBM mean for buyers and users of SPSS software?
- Centrifuge / Saffron Visually Interactive Streaming Data Analytics Solution - May 20, 2010.
Centrifuge Systems and Saffron Technology are partnering to deliver a graphical, highly interactive streaming data analytics and Business Intelligence solution for enterprises worldwid
- Twitter Sentiments Similar to Public Opinion Polls - May 15, 2010.
Sentiments expressed in a billion Twitter messages in 2008-2009 were similar to consumer confidence and of presidential job approval numbers in public opinion polls
- IBM's New Analytics Software Interprets Slang and Emoticons - May 14, 2010.
Here's an example of a sentence that would be tough for most software to interpret: "The iPad's great...if you don't care about Wi-Fi. :-p"
- IBM Debuts New Social Media Analytics Tool - May 13, 2010.
IBM is introducing a new social media monitoring tool, which will measure consumer sentiment from data gathered on Twitter, blogs and other web services and networks.
- Researchers study behavior in social networks - May 12, 2010.
interesting observations from Cameron Marlow, manager of the Facebook data science team and D.J. Patil, chief scientist at LinkedIn.
- UT Dallas behavioral data analysis system - May 12, 2010.
the system focuses on identifying potential Internet threats, but it has broad applications
- Jiawei Han Honored by IEEE Computer Society with 2009 W. Wallace McDowell Award - May 8, 2010.
He received the award "for significant contributions to knowledge discovery and data mining."
- Nielsen Acquires Online Video Analytics Company GlanceGuide - May 7, 2010.
Analytics and audience measurement giant Nielsen has acquired video analytics company GlanceGuide
- N.Y. bomb plot highlights limitations of data mining - May 5, 2010.
Like weather forecasting, data mining can predict major storms but not where each raindrop will fall
- Google invests in firm that tries to predict the future - May 5, 2010.
Google has invested in a startup company that claims to be able to predict the future.
- On Facebook, sex sells - May 3, 2010.
Articles in my dataset that include sexual references in their titles, are shared on Facebook far more than the average story.
- IA Ventures: Venture Capital for Big Data - May 3, 2010.
IA Ventures was founded on the belief that managing and extracting value from massive, occasionally unstructured, often real-time data sets is a competitive advantage.