Data Mining / Analytic Publications News, Jul 2010
- Bringing Data Mining Into the Mainstream - Jul 31, 2010.
Profitably probing large data sets remains an elite undertaking, costly for companies and difficult for users. To bring modern data-mining into the business mainstream, two things are needed.
- Privacy-Aware Knowledge Discovery: Novel Applications and New Techniques - Jul 28, 2010.
edited by Bonchi & Ferrari. Covering General Techniques, Traces and Streams, Spatio-temporal and Mobility Data, Time Series, Biomedical Data, Web Usage Data, and Social Networks
- Christos Faloutsos KDD Innovation Award Talk - Jul 26, 2010.
Data Mining is compression, and compression is undecidable, therefore ...
- There are no alternatives to data mining - Jul 23, 2010.
we talk to Vladimir Nikulin, the winner of the Basic Track in RSCTC'2010 Discovery Challenge: Mining DNA microarray data for medical diagnosis and treatment
- World Programming System: An Alternative to SAS? - Jul 22, 2010.
WPS is a SAS code interpreter, which is much cheaper. This post looks at some of the issues in using WPS to run SAS code.
- Statistical Analysis and Data Mining journal - Jul 22, 2010.
Large-scale regression-based pattern discovery: The example of screening the WHO global drug safety database, and other papers from latest issue of this journal
- KDnuggets 10:n17, Octopus wins prediction cup; Outstanding dissertations; IPO, acquisitions - Jul 21, 2010.
Latest news on data mining & analytics, including Features (8) | Courses (5) | Webcasts (1) | Software (2) | Jobs (8) | Meetings (2) | AudioVideo (1) | Publications (8) | NewsBriefs (9) | CFP (6)
- What Will Data Science Teach Us? - Jul 20, 2010.
With great data comes great responsibility; so to begin, the data science community must ask: what questions do mass quantities of measured human existence allow us to address that were never previously possible?
- Social Media Analytics: You Still Need Analysts - Jul 20, 2010.
Though many functions can be automated, a social CRM platform must also deliver sophisticated analytics to those human beings - especially your customer service agents - who are the critical links in the customer-engagement cycle.
- Google Researchers Exploring Social Networking - Jul 19, 2010.
Adding to rumors about a Google social network, a Googler posted a huge slide deck of research findings on social networking problems and solutions.
- Global BI Market to reach $12.4B by 2015 - Jul 19, 2010.
The global business intelligence (BI) software market is projected to reach $12.4 billion by the year 2015, driven by the growing need to empower all stakeholders of businesses with right information at the appropriate time.
- ACM Transactions on Knowledge Discovery from Data: CFP and recent contents - Jul 9, 2010.
TKDD is a young but prestigious journal in the field of Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining. We welcome strong submissions of research and survey articles on various themes in the field. The contents of recent articles indicate our scope of interest and quality of submissions.
- Enterprise-Grade Hadoop: Tools for Petabyte Analytics - Jul 9, 2010.
Hadoop is the cornerstone of next-generation technologies known as No SQL. Hadoop, like many No SQL technologies, is still primarily an open-source community and has not yet made the critical transition into a mature enterprise-grade analytics market segment.
- SAS vs WPS: Piracy or Innovation? - Jul 9, 2010.
- teach yourself datamining in 21 days - Jul 8, 2010.
World of Warcraft player learns data mining and shares his insights, including how to cluster paladins or predict toon's class. Sample data in Weka format provided.
- KDnuggets 10:n16, Attend KDD-2010; New courses: Elder, SAS, TMA - Jul 7, 2010.
Latest news on data mining & analytics, including Features (4) | Courses (4) | Webcasts (1) | Software (1) | Jobs (3) | Publications (2) | NewsBriefs (5) | CFP (4)
- They Did Their Homework (800 Years of It) - Jul 5, 2010.
Everyone wants to think they're smarter than the poor souls in developing countries, and smarter than their predecessors. They're wrong. And we can prove it.
- Geek Speak: Avi Bryant, Twitter analytics team - Jul 5, 2010.
Interview with co-founder of Smallthought Systems, recently acquired by Twitter for its analytics and Dabble DB.
- Genetic Finding May Provide a Test for Longevity - Jul 1, 2010.
Scientists studying the genomes of centenarians found a set of genetic variants that predicts extreme longevity with 77 percent accuracy.