- KDD-2010 Submissions are open (abstract due Feb 2) - Jan 26, 2010.KDD-2010 is the premier international forum for data mining researchers and practitioners. July 25-28, Washington, DC
- New Poll: Data Miners Salary and Employment - Jan 24, 2010.Please vote on www.kdnuggets.com
- Poll Results: KDD, PAW, ICDM top meetings - Jan 23, 2010.Poll Results: KDD-09, PAW Wash. DC, IEEE ICDM-09 are the most popular data mining meetings among KDnuggets Readers.
- 10 Very Interesting People (VIP) in Data Mining - Jan 14, 2010.By Sandro Saitta. During 2009 I was impressed and influenced by a lot of people in the data mining field. Among them, I have retained 10 data miners which I think made an impressive work
- Most viewed items for week Jan 17-24 - Jan 25, 2010.most viewed news, jobs, positions
- Most viewed items for week Jan 10-16 - Jan 20, 2010.most viewed news, jobs, positions
- Cheminformatic Bioassay Datasets available - Jan 16, 2010.
Courses (see also All Courses)
- Learn How Experts Mine Data in Las Vegas or Washington, DC - Jan 26, 2010.TMA's vendor-neutral and method-agnostic data mining and predictive analytics course series is scheduled for Apr 12-16 in Las Vegas and Jun 7-11 in Washington, DC
- Get results with SAS(r) data mining courses - Jan 26, 2010.Scheduled throughout the country, the SAS Business Knowledge Series hosts a variety of courses appropriate for all levels of data miners.
Software (see also All Software)
- Try the new leader in optimization free for 30 days - Jan 26, 2010.FICO Xpress Optimization Suite 7 helps organizations develop and deploy optimization applications that solve the biggest real-world challenges faster than ever
- Online and Offline become 1 with FinWEB - Customer Online Targeting - Jan 26, 2010.Our solution combines online and offline data to enrich visitor and customer profiles to enhance both web user interactions and customer interaction via traditional channels such as call center, email, sales reps.
- Ribbon Hero - Play Excel FTW - Jan 19, 2010.Ribbon Hero is a concept test for Word, PowerPoint, and Excel 2007 and 2010, designed to help you boost your Office skills and knowledge.
- Fraud and Anomaly Detection Made Simple - Jan 18, 2010.Here is a quick and simple application for fraud and anomaly detection. To replicate this on your own computer, download and install the Oracle Database 11g Release 1 or 2.
- Geotime Visualization with Data, Time and Geography - Jan 14, 2010.Geotime is a cool technology from research and now into products from a company called Oculus. It allows you to combine the three major ingredients of most Business Intelligence data collection and analysis - Data, Time and Geography
Jobs (see also All Jobs)
- CRM Analyst at Overstock, Salt Lake City, Utah - Jan 25, 2010.Develop and maintain statistical models to predict customer behavior and customer value ...
- Statistical Data Analyst at Semcasting, Andover, MA - Jan 22, 2010.seeking applied statistical analysts with strong SAS programming and computer science/machine learning backgrounds with an experience and/or interest in Web 2.0 technologies
- Sr. Software Development Engineer in Test at Bing (Microsoft), Redmond, WA - Jan 22, 2010.The Bing Infrastructure Data Mining team is looking for experienced SDET to contribute to test these unique and challenging problems. Verify that the data pipeline is fully functional, that the metrics produced are reliable, meaningful and accurate, so that the decisions made on them are sound.
- Software Development Engineer in Test II - Bing at Microsoft, Bellevue, WA - Jan 21, 2010.Are you a highly technical, self motivated SDET who is looking for a bigger challenge? Are you tired of working on legacy releases? Do you want to put that theoretical knowledge you learned in college in good use?
- Software Development Engineer, Personalization Platform at Amazon.com, Seattle, WA - Jan 20, 2010.Be part of the team that collects customer behavior data in real-time, and uses this data to recommend the perfect products to millions of customers every day
- Statistian at Humana, Louisville, KY - Jan 20, 2010.The successful candidate will develop insights into drivers of consumer health oriented behaviors, using machine learning, data mining, statistical analysis, pattern recognition, predictive modeling, artificial intelligence and optimization.
- Statistical Analyst at Humana, Louisville, KY - Jan 19, 2010.We're looking for quantitatively trained and experienced analysts who have naturally curious and innovative minds who want to be part of a fun and productive team. If you have a "Roll up your sleeves and get dirty in the data" attitude, this opportunity is for you.
- Senior Analytical Strategist at Humana, Louisville, KY - Jan 19, 2010.We are looking for influential, thought leaders and project managers who can guide cross functional teams by fostering relationships, key ideas and conceptual frameworks to guide the principle strategies
- Statistics Engineer at Efficient Frontier, Sunnyvale, CA - Jan 19, 2010.Efficient Frontier, a leading SEM solution provider, is looking for a statistics engineer to maintain and enhance models and algorithms
- SAS Technology Applications Consultant at Humana, Louisville, KY - Jan 18, 2010.Are you technically savvy? Would you enjoy using your computer skills to assess business needs and help improve business processes?
- Metric and Analytics Consultant (SAS/SQL Required) at Humana, Louisville, KY - Jan 18, 2010.Are you a self-starter and an analytical thinker? Would you enjoy using your specific business knowledge to analyze Provider performance? If so, then read on!
- Clinical Insights Metrician at Humana, Louisville, KY - Jan 18, 2010.Are you an analytical thinker? Would you enjoy using your mathematical knowledge to help analyze and improve current business processes and financial metrics?
- Clinical Program Analytics Lead at Humana, Louisville, KY - Jan 18, 2010.lead the data and analysis function that forms an integral component in the clinical program strategy development. Your team will collect and analyze data on clinical conditions and program performance, and generate insights and actionable information for the design and development of clinical programs for both Medicare and Commercial population
- Director of Business Intelligence at Thindata 1:1, Salt Lake City, Utah - Jan 16, 2010.Thindata 1:1 (thindata.com) is focused on the power of data as it drives 1-1 marketing communications. We believe that the insights gained from business and customer intelligence gives marketing minds the ability to deliver unusual results for our clients.
- Quantitative/Business Analyst at USAA, San Antonio, TX - Jan 15, 2010.Prepares business related analyses and research in one or more of the following areas: planning and forecasting, workload/capacity planning, product performance, campaign performance, process performance, financial impact analysis, and member behavior analysis.
- PostDoc position (2 years) in Machine Learning at Radboud University, Nijmegen, NL - Jan 21, 2010.Use graph-theory to analyze how task-relatedness change when different similarity measures are used. Develop and analyze graph-based transformations for knowledge transfer.
- PhD position in Machine Learning at Radboud University, Nijmegen, NL - Jan 21, 2010.The aim of the GMTaLe project is to develop a framework for analyzing task-relatedness based on an approach that combines graphs and non-parametric machine learning techniques.
Meetings (see also All Meetings)
- Predictive Analytics World, Feb 16-17, San Francisco - KDnuggets Special Offer - Jan 26, 2010.Special KDnuggets Readers Offer - get the expired Early Bird rate for Predictive Analytics San Francisco! Agenda covers hot topics and advanced methods such as social data, uplift modeling (net lift), text mining, massively parallel analytics, in-cloud deployment, and innovative applications that benefit organizations in new and creative ways.
- WSDM Feb 3-6, 2010, New York City: Call for Participation - Jan 24, 2010.WSDM is a young ACM conference intended to be the publication venue for research in the areas of search and data mining
- SBP-2010: Bethesda, Mar 30-31, Registration Open - Attend Free - Jan 22, 2010.Attend SBP10 - 2010 Int. Conf. on Social Computing, Behavioral Modeling, and Prediction, Bethesda, MD, Mar 30-31. Attendance at the conference, tutorials and workshop is free, but registration is required.
- SFBayACM Feb 22: Algorithmic and Statistical Perspectives on Large-Scale Data Analysis - Jan 18, 2010.In recent years,ideas from statistics and scientific computing have begun to interact in increasingly sophisticated and fruitful ways with ideas from computer science and the theory of algorithms to aid in the development of improved worst-case algorithms that are also useful in practice for solving large-scale scientific and Internet data analysis problems
- SFBayACM Jan 25: Analytics at Petabyte Scale - Jan 18, 2010.Speakers from Cloudera and Facebook talk about Hadoop: Distributed Data Processing and Facebook's Petabyte Scale Data Warehouse Using Hive and Hadoop
- Princeton Thesis on Pear Analytics, SEO company - Jan 26, 2010.This blog post is actually a thesis written by a student at Princeton University who's task was to interview a start-up company for an Entrepreneurship class.
- Machine-Learning Bubble in Computational Medicine? - Jan 23, 2010.It isn't clear if there are underlying low-dimensional structures in biological data. Is machine-learning's possible role in biology and medicine overhyped?
- Next Best Models: The Process Agility Equation - Jan 21, 2010.I was speaking with Chordiant the other day about the role of predictive analytics in multi-channel customer conversations, and our particular conversation kept coming back to the killer app called "next best offer."
- SIGEVOlution Volume 4, Issue 2 - Jan 19, 2010.The new issue of SIGEVOlution is now available for you to download from www.sigevolution.org
- Social Network Analysis Igniting Data Warehouse Growth - Jan 15, 2010.Social networks have always been with us, of course, but now they've gained concrete reality in the online fabric of modern life.
- A Peek Into Netflix Queues - Jan 14, 2010.New York Times has very interesting visualization of Netflix rental patterns by neighborhood, in a dozen metropolitan areas
- SAS revenue jumps 2.2% to record $2.31 billion - Jan 25, 2010.Despite poor economic conditions, SAS maintained its unbroken chain of growth and profitability for 34 years since the company was founded.
- Google patents Map/Reduce - Jan 24, 2010.The patent 7,650,331 entitled "System and method for efficient large-scale data processing" and covers the process of mapping work to multiple processors and then reducing the intermediate results from these processors to a final result.
- Data mining helps New York catch tax cheats - Jan 23, 2010.The new approach makes New York a leader in the pursuit of tax cheats. Is a pizza franchise selling more pies than it is reporting? Check how many pizza boxes parent company sent to the local shop. A bar underreporting its sales? Check annual reports from liquor wholesalers.
- Patent: System and method for temporal data mining - Jan 22, 2010.The system ... to identify, using a candidate identification and tracking module, one or more occurrences in the temporal data series of a candidate episode and increment a count for each identified occurrence.
- Fortune: SAS is Best Company to Work for in USA - Jan 21, 2010.SAS, the leader in business analytics, is No.1 on FORTUNE magazine's annual 100 Best Companies to Work For list.
- Microgaming Network Ends Data Mining of Poker Hand History - Jan 21, 2010.The Microgaming Network has decided to stop allowing access to the poker hand data that was available to players on the popular poker site.
- Flurry Raises $7 Million Series B to Accelerate Mobile Analytics Firm's Rapid Growth - Jan 18, 2010.Since launching its service in January 2009, Flurry has quickly emerged as one of the world's largest mobile application analytics and monetization platforms.
- NeuroDimension OptiGen Library 2.0 Released - Jan 17, 2010.The OptiGen Library is an object-oriented programming interface incorporating many powerful optimization techniques into one single package, including single- and multi-objective genetic algorithms, advanced attribute selection algorithms, and other optimization strategies.
- IDC: Future Bright for Business Analytics SaaS Market - Jan 17, 2010.Over the next five years, the business analytics software-as-a service (SaaS) market will grow more than three times as fast as the total business analytics software market with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 22.4 percent through 2013
CFP - Calls for Papers (see also All CFP)
- Evolutionary Computation for Knowledge Discovery, due Jan 31
- 2010 NN GC1 competition, due Jan 31
- DATA MINING CUP 2010, due Feb 1
- KDD-2010, due Feb 2
- PAKDD: Behavior Modeling, Analysis and Mining, due Feb 20
- PAKDD: Intelligence and Security Informatics, due Feb 20
- ILP 2010, due Feb 20
- PAKDD: Data Mining for Healthcare Management, due Feb 20
- ASONAM: Advances in Social Networks Analysis and Mining, due Feb 28
- PAKDD: Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery for e-Governance, due Feb 28
- EVENTS 2010 - Recognising and tracking events on the Web and in real life, due Mar 12
- PAKDD: Emerging Research Trends in Vehicle Health Management , due Mar 12
- PAKDD: Feature Selection in Data Mining, due Mar 19
- Protecting Privacy and Confidentiality in Data, due Mar 30
- Machine Learning Conf. of Belgium and NL, due Apr 2
- ECML PKDD 2010, due Apr 23
- ICDM'10 papers, due Jul 2
- CIDU 2010: NASA Conf. on Intelligent Data Understanding, due May 7
- WISE 2010: Web Information Systems Engineering, due Jun 15
- ICDM'10 papers, due Jul 2
- MLJ spec. issue on Learning from Multi-Label Data, due Sep 30
QuoteI'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.