- Facebook F8: One graph to rule them all - Apr 26, 2010.
For better or worse, Facebook Open Graph will enable web-wide social data mining
- Please Participate in 4th Annual Data Mining Survey - Apr 26, 2010.Rexer Analytics is conducting our 4th annual survey of the analytic behaviors, views and preferences of data mining professionals.
- Most viewed items for week Apr 18-24 - Apr 26, 2010.News: Most data miners won't buy an iPad; You've got to touch this! Oracle Data Mining on an iPad;
Top jobs: Data Analyst / Scientist at DailyMe, Miami; Statistician at Chick-fil-A, Atlanta
Software (see also All Software)
- Kaggle Progress and spotting fee - Apr 21, 2010.Kaggle is now offering spotters fees for great ideas for competitions
- The 2010 VAST Challenges (text, medical records, death records, genetic sequences) - Apr 21, 2010.To provide more opportunities for increased participation we again offer an overall Grand Challenge as well as three smaller Mini Challenges.
Jobs (see also All Jobs)
- Director of Analytics and Business Intelligence - Playfish at Electronic Arts, San Francisco, CA - Apr 27, 2010.Playfish is one of the world's largest and fastest growing social games companies with a mission to change how the world plays games.
- Manager, Database Marketing at Cox Communications, Orange County, CA - Apr 26, 2010.responsible for an end-to-end management of OC's direct-response campaigns for all products (Video, Voice and Data) on the acquisition and retention fronts
- Scientist/Sr Scientist, Ad Selection at Turn Inc, Redwood City, CA and other locations - Apr 26, 2010.Turn Inc. is the smart platform for digital advertising. Our mission is to deliver the most effective data-driven advertising in the world
- Manager, Business Analytics at Sears, Hoffman Estates, IL, USA - Apr 23, 2010.oversee the development, enhancement, and implementation of promotional price elasticity models and analytical insights to generate profitable incremental sales and margin impacts through strategic pricing initiatives.
- Statistical Analyst II at AAA Northern California, Nevada and Utah, Walnut Creek, CA - Apr 21, 2010.prepare, research, analyze and coordinate with the Auto/Homeowners Claims departments on all statistical filings; also analyze rate-making and loss reserving system changes and test premium rating systems for accuracy
Meetings (see also All Meetings)
- Bentley University Virtual Analytics Symposium, May 6, 11:30-1:30 ET - Apr 27, 2010.Michael J. A. Berry on The Importance of Measuring the Right Thing.
- ICML 2010 Call for Participation, Haifa, Israel, June 21-25 - Apr 26, 2010.The scientific program features 152 paper and poster presentations, 8 tutorials, 10 workshops, an invited application track, 3 invited speakers, and a guest lecture by Nobel laureate Robert Aumann.
- Pascal2 Machine Learning Bootcamp - Marseille, France - Apr 26, 2010.The LIF-Marseille organises machine learning bootcamp, July 5 - 13 in Marseille, France. Application deadline: May 15.
- The Paradox of Overfitting - Apr 26, 2010.An overfitted model is one that approaches reproducing the training data on which the model is built.
- Avinash Kaushik on Web Analytics 101 - Apr 22, 2010.There seems to be genuine confusion about the simplest, most foundational, parts of web metrics / analytics. So in this short post let's try and see if we can fix this really basic problem.
- Keeping Medical Data Private - Apr 22, 2010.Algorithm protects patients personal information while preserving the data utility in large-scale medical studies
- Tom H.C. Anderson Interview with Dan Ariely - Apr 21, 2010.NGMR Marketing Guru Interview - Dan Ariely and Tom H. C. Anderson discuss Predictably Irrational and market research
- UAI 2010 Approximate Inference Evaluation Competition - Apr 27, 2010.the upcoming evaluation of probabilistic inference algorithms, will be part of the UAI conference in July
- Book: Intro. to Information Retrieval, online - Apr 26, 2010.The book aims to provide a modern approach to information retrieval from a computer science perspective and is based on a courses taught at Stanford and U. of Stuttgart.
- New Book: Search User Interfaces, by Marti Hearst - read online free - Apr 22, 2010.The full text of this book can be read free of charge.
- New book on analytics, plus my blogs - Apr 21, 2010.In my book "Numbers Rule Your World: the hidden influence of probability and statistics on everything you do" I discuss five fundamental statistical concepts through telling stories of how statistics affect many aspects of our lives
- Boeing gives $1.25 million to launch new tech institute - Apr 27, 2010.Vancouver Institute for Visual Analytics brings together industry, SFU, UBC
- Sentiment360: Groundbreaking New Social Media Company - Apr 27, 2010.Sentiment360 combines the latest new media search technologies with teams of highly qualified research analysts to provide both a wide reach of quantitative knowledge along with deep qualitative insights for optimum results.
- System And Method For Supply Chain Data Mining And Analysis - Apr 27, 2010.The method then detects a root cause for the detected combination of factors; performs correlation analysis between the selected factors; and performs trend analysis on the selected factors.
- Clarabridge Announces Enterprise 4.1 Including Innovations in Sentiment Analysis - Apr 26, 2010.New version enhances understanding of the voice of the customer with more robust data visualization, new wizards for rapid project setup and new sentiment intensity capabilities
- Pervasive Software Quarterly Results - Apr 22, 2010.Company Reports 37th Consecutive Profitable Quarter, Record Level of Deferred Revenue
- Networked Insights Gets $5 Million for Social Media Analytics - Apr 22, 2010.Networked Insights, a provider of social media analytics, announced that it has raised $5 million in its first round of funding
- Washington fraud-busters turn to social analytics - Apr 22, 2010.fraud detection agents from Washington's Department of Labor and Industries revealed how social networking business analytics is curbing the rise of compensation cheats
- SAS, JMP mix simulation and analytics to foster innovation - Apr 22, 2010.Satisfy time and budget constraints using discrete event simulation, design of experiments, visualization
- Linguamatics Outperforms Target Of 50% Growth Year-On-Year - Apr 22, 2010.Linguamatics, a leader in enterprise text mining, announced that sales revenue in 2009 exceeded $5million, more than 50% higher than a year ago
CFP - Calls for Papers (see also All CFP)
- SOMA 2010: Social Media Analytics, due May 7
- Industrial Conference on Data Mining ICDM 2010-Berlin, due May 31
- Data Clustering and Bioinformatics, due Jun 1
- Book chapters on Data Visualization Techniques in Marketing Research, due Jun 15
- ECML/PKDD-2012 proposals, due Jun 30
- Computational Learning for Aerospace 2011, due Aug 1
QuoteLast year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish.