KDnuggets™ News 10:n13, Jun 9
Features (8) |
Courses (1) |
Software (3) |
Jobs (8) |
Academic (2) |
Audio/Video (6) |
Publications (7) |
NewsBriefs (10) |
CFP (9) |
- New Poll: Analytics / Business Processes Integration - Jun 8, 2010.
What effect Analytics / Business Processes Integration has on internal and external analytics staff
- Poll Results: More monster-size data bases analyzed - Jun 8, 2010.
More data miners analyze monster size databases; 32% analyzed databases over 100 GB.
- New Kaggle Competition: World Cup 2010 - Jun 4, 2010.
Can you beat the World Cup predictions from quantitative analysts at Goldman Sachs and other banks?
- 10 Hottest Careers in America - Jun 1, 2010.
Data mining is rated as third hottest career by UCSD study
- Most viewed items for week May 30 - Jun 5 - Jun 7, 2010.
Top News: Google Prediction API; 10 Hottest Careers in America;
Top jobs: Analytics Specialist at Opera Solutions; Senior Machine Learning Engineer at eBay
- Most viewed items for week May 23-29 - May 30, 2010.
Top news: Google Prediction API; New book: PMML in Action
Top jobs: Director of Research, Algorithms and Data Mining at JustAnswer; Data Mining Research Scientist at Technicolor
- Additions to KDnuggets since May 30 - Jun 8, 2010.
New in education, meetings, software, and solutions directories
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory since May 20 - May 30, 2010.
New in companies, datasets, education, meetings, software, solutions directories
- Bayesia FIFA World Cup Predictor - Jun 1, 2010.
Bayesia tool takes your predictions for the matches in your selected group and give you the exact team qualification probabilities
- World Cup prediction from Bayes Forecast - Jun 8, 2010.
in the final England has 52.7% chance of defeating Argentina, according to BayesForecat model. In group C, England has 59% chance of beating US in first round.
- Gephi: The Open Graph Viz Platform - May 28, 2010.
Gephi is an interactive visualization and exploration platform for all kinds of networks and complex systems, dynamic and hierarchical graphs. Open-source and free.
- Director, Analytics (Fraud) at ACI Worldwide, Newton, MA - Jun 8, 2010.
ACI is a global provider of electronic payments solutions for the world's top financial institutions, retailers and payment processors serving more than 800 customers in 88 countries.
- Senior Statistician at Shopzilla, Los Angeles, CA - Jun 3, 2010.
Zillans, as we call ourselves, work within an atmosphere where laughter is encouraged, dress is casual, and nobody takes him or herself too seriously. But we do work hard every single day to make Shopzilla the greatest shopping search engine in the world.
- SAS Analyst at Family Dollar Stores, Charlotte, NC - Jun 2, 2010.
support the strategic and tactical decision-making process, specifically as it relates to leveraging statistical concepts along with general business intelligence to derive effective cross-functional business solutions
- Forecast Analyst at Family Dollar Stores, Charlotte, NC - Jun 2, 2010.
primarily responsible for generating, analyzing, and interpreting sales demand forecasts for variety of functional areas including, Merchandise Financial Planning, Assortment Planning, and Replenishment
- Statistical Analyst at AAA NCNU, Walnut Creek, CA - Jun 1, 2010.
The primary responsibilities will be to extract, transform and standardize data from various sources, turn it into actionable business information and present it to key stakeholders.
- Senior Machine Learning Engineer at eBay, San Jose, CA - Jun 1, 2010.
lead the algorithm design and prototyping for analyzing large-scale eBay data, which include both text data and structured data.
- Analytics Specialist at Opera Solutions, San Diego, CA and Jersey City, NJ - May 31, 2010.
Work with the senior team and learn how to design, develop, and deploy state-of-the-art, data-driven predictive models to solve business problems using the latest and most appropriate technologies in machine learning, statistical modeling and Operations Research
- Junior Analytics Manager at Opera Solutions, San Diego, CA and Jersey City, NJ - May 30, 2010.
help to design, develop and deploy state-of-the-art, data-driven predictive models to solve business problems using the latest and most appropriate technologies in machine learning, statistical modeling and Operations Research.
- BBC More or Less: Radio Show on Statistics - Jun 2, 2010.
This BBC show should be interesting to analytically inclined readers of KDnuggets.
- BBC: What matters is what works - Jun 7, 2010.
new episode of BBC analytics-orientied show More or Less: "What matters is what works", examines whether governments make decisions based on evidence, or instinct.
- Embedded Analytics and Business Rules: The Holy Grail? - Jun 5, 2010.
Listen to this episode of DM Radio to learn how, where, when and why to combine business rules with embedded analytics
- Stanford Machine Learning Course - Jun 7, 2010.
This course (taught by Professor Andrew Ng) provides a broad introduction to machine learning and statistical pattern recognition.
- Forecast Video Tutorial (Data Mining Table Analysis Tool) - Jun 7, 2010.
this video tutorial shows how to use Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services for forecasting
- Video: What is Data Mining? - Jun 5, 2010.
NJIT School of Management professor Stephan P Kudyba describes what data mining is and how it is being used in the business world.
- A survey of data mining and knowledge discovery process models - Jun 8, 2010.
we describe the most used and most cited data mining/KDD methodologies and process models, providing an overview of the evolution and current state of the art in the field
- Finding the gold in data mining - Jun 3, 2010.
Companies trying to predict credit risk based on lifestyle choices are trolling Internet ... the new frontier in data mining is social-media sites.
- 10 Tips for Successful Analytics - Jun 3, 2010.
Tip 1: Identifying the Right Problem; Tip 2: Getting Stakeholders onside
- FSDM 2010 proceedings are available online - Jun 2, 2010.
Proceedings of Workshop on Feature Selection in Data Mining (FSDM 10) to be held at PAKDD 2010, Hyderabad, India, 20 June are available on-line
- Mobile Data: A Gold Mine for Telcos - Jun 1, 2010.
A snapshot of our activities, cell phone data attracts both academics and industry researchers
- "What BI Is Not" Forrester TweetJam Recap And Takeaways - May 31, 2010.
Forrester analysts Boris Evelson, Jim Kobielus, Gene Leganza, Holger Kisker, Noel Yuhanna, and Rob Karel hosted a data management TweetJam on the topic "What BI is Not!" using the hashtag #dmjam.
- New Book: Association Rule Hiding for Data Mining - May 28, 2010.
Association rule hiding is a new technique on data mining, which studies the problem of hiding sensitive association rules from within the data.
- Ingres Vectorwise Speeds up Business Analytics - Jun 8, 2010.
10x-70x performance gains from vector-based processing and on-chip memory, are obtained by a revolutionary DB engine developed by Ingres Vectorwise
- Predixion, With Roots At Microsoft, Raises Funds - Jun 7, 2010.
Predixion Software, a stealth software start-up with Microsoft roots, raised $800,000 as part of a larger funding round
- Monkey Analytics among TechStars Startups - Jun 7, 2010.
Monkey Analytics powers mathematics and data analysis in the cloud by providing on-demand computing resources, analysis tools, and a socially driven marketplace for analysts, algorithms, and data.
- Sam's Club Personalized Analytics - Jun 3, 2010.
Personalized eValues coupons have 20-30 percent response rate, compared to 1-2 percent for regular coupons.
- Data mining is big business for Kroger - Jun 2, 2010.
Kroger uses data mining for insights into customer motivations and the understanding behind what consumers do and buy.
- Kaggle: Statisticians outperform Eurovision betting markets - Jun 2, 2010.
in Kaggle Eurovosion contest, statisticians outperformed the prediction markets, selecting seven of the countries that finished in the top ten, compared with five for the prediction markets.
- IBM Picks Hadoop To Analyze Large Data Volumes - Jun 1, 2010.
IBM unveiled a package of services and analytics called BigInsights based on Apache's open source Hadoop.
- Google releases add-on to block its own analytics - May 31, 2010.
Stung by privacy concerns, Google has released a new add-on designed to block the information captured for Web sites that use its own Analytics service.
- Sybase IQ Adds Text Analytics, Data Mining - May 31, 2010.
New iteration of Sybase IQ brings full text search, query federation and Web-enabled analytics in to a columnar-based architecture.
- The Information Management 50 - May 30, 2010.
Top Vendors Endure a Shaky Year, Look to SaaS and SOA to Buoy Revenues
CFP - Calls for Papers (see also All CFP)
- Future Internet and Society: A Complex Systems Perspective, due Jun 9
- FLAIRS Special Tracks (including Data Mining, Text Mining tracks), due Jun 21
- CIKD2010: Computational Intelligence in Knowledge Discovery , due Jun 26
- Privacy and Security issues in Data Mining and Machine Learning, due Jun 28
- Search and Mining User-generated Contents, due Jun 30
- DDDM 2010: Domain Driven Data Mining, due Jul 23
- PADM 2010: Privacy Aspects of Data Mining, due Jul 23
- Mining The Future Internet , due Jul 25
- Intelligent Data Analysis in bioMedicine And Pharmacology, due Aug 1
"I don't play alone, and I can't perform miracles."
Portugal forward Cristiano Ronaldo, the world's most expensive player, shifting the blame ahead of the game.