- New Poll: Industries / Fields where you applied Analytics / Data Mining in 2010? - Sep 29, 2010.please vote on www.kdnuggets.com
- KDnuggets readers like Google Instant Search - Sep 29, 2010.53% of the respondents think it is better, with 22% disliking it.
- Most viewed items for Sep 19-25 - Sep 26, 2010.Analytics/Data Mining US Job Trends; Traffic Jams Issue Solved;
Top jobs: Machine Learning Software Engineer at Chomp, San Francisco, CA; Research Engineer (Topic Modeling) at Chomp, San Francisco, CA;
- Interview with Tim Rey, Director of Dow Chemical Advanced Analytics - Sep 27, 2010.we talk about Forecasting, the role of Analytics and Dow Chemical, the new SAS Rapid Predictive Modeler, and advice to potential analytics/data mining students.
- Applying Euclidean Distance Clustering to Social Network Data - Sep 28, 2010.Euclidean Distance clustering may be applied to Facebook, MySpace and other social network data. This analysis may reveal 'Geo-Groups' of users according to where their network of friends reside.
- M2010 Data Mining Conference - KDnuggets discount - Sep 29, 2010.Join more than 700 analytics professionals at the 13th annual M2010 Data Mining Conference. M2010 is a leading analytics conference bringing together hundreds of analytics professionals and more than 40 speakers. Get 30% discount for KDnuggets readers
- Predictive Analytics World Washington, DC or London, UK? - Sep 21, 2010.Two choices in Oct./Nov. Two rich conference programs with very little content overlap featuring a wealth of speakers with front-line experience sharing their knowledge. See which one is best for you.
Jobs (see also All Jobs)
- Director, Decision Science at E*TRADE Financial, Jersey City, NJ - Sep 28, 2010.responsible for managing a team in developing and operationalizing analytical strategies for customer acquisition, retention and engagement.
- Senior Data Analyst, Decision Science at E*TRADE Financial, Jersey City, NJ - Sep 28, 2010.developing complex predictive models using cutting edge techniques in statistics, econometrics and/or computer science to forecast product preference, response behavior, and usage pattern of existing and prospective customers as well as creating metrics to track and measure effectiveness of predictive models.
- Sr. Software Dev. Engineer in Test, Ads Platform at Microsoft, Bellevue, WA - Sep 22, 2010.Selecting a few among thousands of matching ads is a difficult problem that requires implementing and testing sophisticated machine learning models on large amount of data sets, coming up with new and innovative ways to measure the relevance and overall quality of ads.
- Data Mining Analyst at Waterfront International, Toronto, Canada - Sep 22, 2010.WIL is a financial consulting firm, specializing in developing computer based statistical trading strategies.
Meetings (see also All Meetings)
- SFBay ACM Data Mining Camp, Nov 13, San Jose, CA - Sep 27, 2010.This camp is focused on Data Mining, Analytics, Cloud Computing, Machine Learning, and the various applications of these technologies.
- Google CEO Eric Schmidt on Colbert Report - Sep 25, 2010.Colbert and Schmidt discussed data mining, why Google pulled out of China, privacy, and how low Google's stock prices will have to go before they throw out the "do no evil" slogan.
- Text Analytics Guru Interview - Sep 22, 2010.Anderson Analytics' Tom H. C. Anderson speaks with Seth Grimes about text mining
- White Paper: Seven Reasons You Need Predictive Analytics Today - Sep 22, 2010.This definitive white paper reveals seven strategic objectives that can be attained to their full potential only by employing predictive analytics, namely Compete, Grow, Enforce, Improve, Satisfy, Learn, and Act.
- Statistical Analysis and Data Mining Journal, Volume 3, Issue 5 - Sep 27, 2010.this contains: A machine-learning approach to detecting unknown bacterial serovars; Discriminative frequent subgraph mining with optimality guarantees; and more
- Social Media Insights from Predictive Analytics - Sep 29, 2010.Words that have a negative weight tend to be found in SM posts with a low number of re-tweets (write, talk, trust, sentiment) while launch and America where commonly found in popular posts.
- Best Future Job #4: Forecaster of Everything - Sep 27, 2010.The demand for statistics wonks will grow by 20% by 2018, according to the US Bureau of Labor.
- The New Business Intelligence of Social Media - Sep 23, 2010.The Tools and Top 5 Measurable Attributes: a quick summary. 1. Volume of Conversation and Share of Voice ...
- Rocket Fuel Calls Out to Nokia and Teams Up with Northgate for $10M Venture Funding. - Sep 29, 2010.a $10M Series B round of venture capital was led by Nokia Growth Partners; Rocket Fuel had 10x growth from Q2 2009 to Q2 2010 and 2x sequentially from Q1 2010 to Q2 2010.
- Internet Time Machine finds new trends before they become popular - Sep 29, 2010.Based on applying advanced economic theory and equations to the Internet search world, the Internet Time Machine acts as a clairvoyant trends, niche, and product identifier.
- Analytics pros hone skills, explore latest trends and techniques at M2010 - Sep 29, 2010.Hot topics include text analytics, rapid predictive modeling, social network analysis
- Hamilton eyes global niche in analytics - Sep 28, 2010.11Ants, a New Zealand start-up, is hoping to carve a worldwide niche in the business analytics industry by helping organisations make sense of data lying about in hundreds of millions of Excel spreadsheets.
- What Comes Next in the Red-Hot Analytics Market? - Sep 28, 2010.The action in the data warehouse/analytic database space has been hot and heavy over the past couple weeks, with new funding, acquisitions and partnerships announced seemingly every day.
- Twitter to Release a Real-time Analytics Solution This Year - Sep 25, 2010.Twitter plans to launch a free analytics dashboard that will help its users - especially businesses - understand how others are interacting with their tweets.
- IBM to open three analytics centres in Europe - Sep 25, 2010.The centres, based in Zurich, Budapest and Vienna - will complement IBM's other seven analytic hubs around the world. Zurich hub will focus on financial services and public-sector analytics.
- HHS to use data analytics to uncover Medicare, Medicaid fraud - Sep 24, 2010.Agency estimated the health program for the elderly issued $24.1 billion in improper payments in 2009. Health and Human Services Department plans to install data analysis tools to root out fraudulent payments
- IBM Hybrid Strategy in Business Intelligence - Sep 23, 2010.IBM acquisition of Netezza highlights how much the fast-growing field of business intelligence is increasingly both a hardware and a software technology.
- IBM acquires Netezza as big data market continues to consolidate - Sep 23, 2010.Netezza provides high-performance analytics in a data warehousing appliance that claims to handle complex analytic queries 10 to 100 times faster than traditional systems.
- Is Predictive Analytics on the Horizon? - Sep 23, 2010.Novant was using data mining and analysis tools from MEDai. The health system has compiled benchmark data for 50 distinct disease states
CFP - Calls for Papers (see also All CFP)
- SDM'11: SIAM Conf. on Data Mining, due Oct 15
- Spec. Issue on Social Computational Systems , due Nov 1
- Biologically Inspired Techniques for Data Mining, due Dec 10
QuoteDo not be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
(thanks to Clate Mask, CEO, Infusionsoft)