KDnuggets™ News 10:n25, Oct 27
Features (7) |
Courses (1) |
Software (3) |
Jobs (8) |
Academic (3) |
Meetings (3) |
AudioVideo (4) |
Publications (4) |
NewsBriefs (15) |
CFP (4) |
- New Poll: Cloud Analytics - Oct 26, 2010.
New KDnuggets Poll is asking: What is Your experience with cloud analytics?
- Poll Results: Where did you apply data mining in 2010? - Oct 22, 2010.
Top 2 industries remained CRM/consumer analytics & Banking, but Health Care moved from 7th to 3rd position, and Fraud Detection moved from 6th to 4th position. Manufacturing and Education saw largest gains.
- Predictive Analytics World London - Workshops, Keynotes, Expert Panel - Oct 26, 2010.
New hands-on workshop announced for PAW's London conference coming up in three weeks, along with expert panel and keynote details.
- World Statistics Day, Oct 20, 2010 (20.10.2010 in Europe) - Oct 20, 2010.
not your "average" holiday. This first ever event was created by United Nations to raise awareness of the many achievements of statistics and statisticians.
- Gartner Identifies the Top 10 Strategic Technologies for 2011 - Oct 21, 2010.
including Next Generation Analytics, Social Analytics, and Cloud Computing. Gartner defines a strategic technology as one with the potential for significant impact on the enterprise in the next three years.
- Most viewed items for Oct 17-23 - Oct 24, 2010.
How Predictive Analytics Can Make Money for Social Networks; Gartner Identifies the Top 10 Strategic Technologies for 2011;
Top jobs: Software Engineer - Data Mining at Siemens Corporate Research, Princeton; Advanced Analytics/Data Mining Consultant at Blacklight Solutions, Austin, TX;
- Most viewed items for Oct 10-16 - Oct 20, 2010.
Harvard and MIT B-Schools on Analytics; Evolutionary Algorithm in Python (EAP) First Public Release;
Top jobs: Data Mining Engineer at Narus Inc (subsidiary of Boeing Inc), Sunnyvale, CA; Risk Management / Risk Analysis at Citi, New York City, NY or Dallas, TX;
- Amazon Web Services Offers Free Cloud Access - Oct 24, 2010.
Starting November 1, new AWS users will be able to take advantage of many services for a year for free, including enough hours to run an Amazon EC2 Linux Instance continuously each month.
- 11Ants Analytics: Data mining tool for the masses at PAW, Washington DC - Oct 18, 2010.
11Ants Model Builder upgrades Microsoft Excel into a powerful data mining and predictive analytics tool that allows anyone who can use Excel to mine their own data and build powerful predictive models. It will unveil its breakthrough data mining and predictive analytics tool at Predictive Analytics World, Washington DC.
- YaDT: Yet another Decision Tree builder - Oct 19, 2010.
YaDT is a new implementation of the C4.5 decision tree induction algorithm designed and implemented in standard C++ from scratch
- VP of Customer Vision at ISO Innovative Analytics, San Francisco, NJ, Boston, Chicago, or remotely from home. - Oct 25, 2010.
ISO Innovative Analytics is an insurance solutions company specializing in applying advanced analytic techniques and data management skills to the challenge of accurately assessing risk in the property and casualty insurance.
- Principal Architect at 24/7 Customer Innovation Labs, Bangalore, India - Oct 21, 2010.
Architect and develop analytical products at 24/7 Customer Innovation Labs
- (Sr.) Analytics Consultant / Analytics Manager at 24/7 Customer Innovation Labs, Bangalore, India - Oct 21, 2010.
Building data mining/text mining driven products and solutions in customer lifecycle management
- Advanced Analytics/Data Mining Consultant at Blacklight Solutions, Austin, TX - Oct 20, 2010.
Fast growing consulting company in Austin looking for a Senior Consultant to join the Advanced Analytics team. Our work includes predictive analytics, fraud detection, and optimization projects for a client base consisting of software companies and Fortune 1000 clients.
- Analytics Director at Int'l Market Research Firm, Cincinnati, OH - Oct 20, 2010.
responsible for managing analytical support within regional office, working closely with Sales VP's to provide support to key clients to acquire and maintain business and to identify key client issues and address them with analytical solutions
- Software Engineer - Data Mining at Siemens Corporate Research, Princeton, NJ, USA - Oct 19, 2010.
developing enterprise applications that handle large amounts of data and use distributed infrastructures for data integration and mining.
- Scientific Engineer at Struq, Soho, London, UK - Oct 16, 2010.
Struq is leading the revolution in Personalised Retargeting - personalising ads to increase the relevance of ads to users and deliver unrivalled performance to advertisers.
- Data Mining Engineer at Narus Inc (subsidiary of Boeing Inc), Sunnyvale, CA - Oct 14, 2010.
work on developing the next-generation of our Cyber Protection system; have experience in formulating problems, knows the advantages of one machine learning algorithm vs. another, and demonstrated experience in solving complex graph problems while using a distributed data processing paradigm including but not limited to map-reduce framework.
- POSTDOC: Statistical genetics for genomic selection at University College, London, UK - Oct 20, 2010.
a challenging mix of statistical method development, implementation in software, experimental design and data analysis to make substantial contributions to ongoing field trials of barley.
- Faculty at UT Austin School of Information, Austin, TX - Oct 19, 2010.
multiple openings for new faculty, and our call seeks the best candidates at all ranks and open to all areas of related specializations, including data mining, analytics, visualization, etc
- Tenure-Track or Tenured Faculty Position Openings at U. of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT - Oct 15, 2010.
crosscutting research including theory, algorithms, large data analysis, data mining, and data bases.
- ACM Data Mining Camp, Nov 13, San Jose - Oct 25, 2010.
SFBay ACM is organizing another Data Mining Camp. The morning training session ($30) will be followed by a free event from 11:30 to 7 pm.
- SUPERMATH Demos Cutting Edge Technologies - Nov 10 - Oct 19, 2010.
SUPERMATH, a new analytics conference slated for November 10 at the Del Mar Marriott, will feature demonstrations of cutting edge technologies and keynotes by national analytics thought leaders
- ICDM 2010 Student Travel Grant, Due Oct 23 - Oct 19, 2010.
All student authors, with accepted papers or not, are encouraged to apply for the ICDM '10 Travel Awards
- Podcast: Mining for Gold - Oct 16, 2010.
Claudia Perlich of Media6Degrees explains how online merchants can learn more about their potential customers by mining the data surrounding social media - without violating strict privacy rules.
- Proof and Consequences - Oct 14, 2010.
A new book explores the deceptive power of numbers. Listen to this interview with Charles Seife, author of Proofiness: The Dark Arts of Mathematical Deception.
- Jeff Jonas Video on How Data Makes Corporations Dumb - Oct 26, 2010.
Information is being created faster than organizations can make sense of it. The gap between the growth of information and understanding is widening ... The future doesn't look like Tom Cruise in The Minority Report at all
- Journalism in the Age of Data - Oct 15, 2010.
a video report on data visualization as a storytelling medium
- Dr Jim Goodnight talks the business of analytics - Oct 20, 2010.
SAS co-founder and CEO discusses the challenges CIOs face in a world where data is everything.
- Twitter mood predicts the stock market - Oct 20, 2010.
this paper finds that collective Twitter mood is strongly correlated to the value of the Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA), and build a model with 87.6% accuracy in predicting the daily up and down changes in the closing values of the DJIA.
- Next Gen Market Research Group Innovation Award, Nominations due Oct 28 - Oct 19, 2010.
Disruptive Innovator Award to Be Presented at IIR's The Market Research Event, November 8-10 in San Diego, CA
- "Operational Intelligence: Boosting Performance with Right-Time Business Insight" - Oct 18, 2010.
Get a free copy! This $399 offer expires Oct 29. The quality of day-to-day tactical decision making can make or break a company in today's fast-paced business climate. What separates leaders from laggards is the ability to generate timely, clean, and relevant business insight to support operational decisions.
- New SAS® and Teradata Analytic Advantage Program Enhancements Increase Business Decision-Making Agility - Oct 25, 2010.
Companies can quick start their analytic development and deployment with new capabilities
- Online Advertising Must Change, Says Former Yahoo Exec - Oct 25, 2010.
The internet makes it easier to target consumers, but the ads served to online users need to become more engaging, according to a pair of former Yahoo executives who spoke at the Predictive Analytics World conference in DC.
- Usama Fayyad to join Adknowledge as a Chief Scientist - Oct 22, 2010.
Since leaving Yahoo, Fayyad was involved in a venture capital fund aimed at start-ups in the Middle East, and founded Open Insights LLC, a Bellevue, WA-based data and business intelligence consultancy.
- SAS to aid Pakistan flood relief agency - Oct 21, 2010.
helps create system for managing disaster response, relief distribution
- New Ad Network Mines Social Data for Better Targeting - Oct 19, 2010.
RadiumOne will analyze online users social interactions to create relationship and interest-based groups that it can use to serve up highly targeted brand advertisements.
- Predixion Software to Run SAS, SPSS Models in the Cloud - Oct 19, 2010.
Predixion and Zementis partner to accelerate widespread adoption, use and reuse of predictive analytics models
- How Predictive Analytics Can Make Money for Social Networks - Oct 18, 2010.
Here are some specific ways how analytics will make social networks money, including Recruiting, Sentiment Analysis, Market Fluctuation, Recommendation Engines, and Location-Based Marketing.
- SAS chief says global software sales up 5 pct - Oct 18, 2010.
SAS CEO Jim Goodnight said that global sales of its data-mining products were up about 5 percent so far this year, led by especially strong demand in the Pacific-Asia region and Latin America.
- New Analytic Capability from LexisNexis PatentOptimizer Uncovers Insights across Patent Portfolios - Oct 17, 2010.
allows customers to rapidly identify detailed aspects of entire patent portfolios to uncover critical data intersections, hidden trends, aggregate parts and elements nomenclature, and ranked language variations, among other criteria.
- Kontagent game-analytics to help small developers take on social game leaders - Oct 16, 2010.
Can Kontagent help David topple Goliath through better analytics?
- Datameer Analytics Solution - Oct 16, 2010.
DAS 1.0 is the first Hadoop-based solution for big data that includes data source integration, storage, an analytics engine and visualization.
- Dataglobal extends classification infrastructure to massive data centers - Oct 15, 2010.
dg suite Next Generation Data Management Platform Scales Windows Server FCI Capabilities to Large Enterprises Delivering Unprecedented Data Insight To Reduce Storage Management Costs
- Analytics Growth Steady Through 2014: Report - Oct 14, 2010.
Recession has cut expectations, but innovation and cloud interest should keep market steady, according to IDC
- Teradata Sets the Global Stage for an Exciting New Era of Insight - Oct 14, 2010.
new online social media platform devoted to The Socialization of Data - designed to serve as an epicenter for a New Era of Insight.
- IBM to buy more analytics companies, rivals worried - Oct 14, 2010.
IBM plans to buy more companies within the middleware and analytics sectors, according to Mike Rhodin, senior vice-president of Software Solutions at IBM.
CFP - Calls for Papers (see also All CFP)
People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily.