KDnuggets™ News 10:n29, Dec 8
Features (6) |
Courses (1) |
Webcasts (1) |
Software (3) |
Jobs (10) |
Meetings (2) |
AudioVideo (1) |
Publications (7) |
NewsBriefs (4) |
CFP (5) |
- New Poll: How Powerful is Your Analytics Computer? - Dec 7, 2010.
New KDnuggets poll is asking about processors, memory, disk and OS configuration for your main analytics/data mining computer(s).
- Poll Results: Web "Do not track" not likely to have a major effect - Dec 7, 2010.
KDnuggets readers doubt that "Do not track" will have a major impact on web advertising
- Agency Proposes 'Do Not Track' Option for Web Users - Dec 1, 2010.
FTC "do not track" proposal will let consumer choose if they want information about their web browsing to be collected. Industry self-regulation has failed to provide adequate and meaningful protection for consumers, says FTC. Now FTC proposes "privacy by design," where companies are required to build privacy protections into their everyday business practices.
- Predictive Analytics World, March 14-15, San Francisco - Dec 7, 2010.
will cover hot topics, including uplift modeling, social data (several sessions), cross-industry applications, ensemble models, fraud detection, and much, much more.
- Most viewed Nov 28-Dec 4 - Dec 5, 2010.
Tim Berners Lee: Soc. Networks threat to the Web; Book: Data Analysis with Open Source Tools;
Top jobs: Analytics Manager at Opera Solutions, London and Paris; Relevance scientist / Research programmer at Yandex Labs, Palo Alto;
- Most viewed news, jobs in November - Dec 3, 2010.
Google Cleans Up Messy Data with Refine; Forbes on The Data Analytics Boom;
Top jobs: Decision Scientist - Fraud Risk Analytics, Microsoft; Mathematical Modeling, Optimization at ExxonMobil Research
- Business Solution Architect - Advanced Analytics at a successful software company, Boston area - Dec 7, 2010.
join the Analytics business unit of a very successful Boston area software product company. The Analyics business unit has plans to accelerate its rapid revenue growth over the next several years through the creation of industry leading and compelling analytic and optimization solutions
- Principal Scientist at ID Analytics, San Diego, CA - Dec 6, 2010.
participate in developing company's advanced technologies, including statistical score modeling, score model development, score model deployment, large scale database analysis and statistical algorithms.
- Senior Technical Analyst at adMarketplace, New York, NY - Dec 6, 2010.
a talented, highly motivated and dependable individual with outstanding analytical and communication skills to optimize and manage publisher accounts.
- Data Mining Expert - Online Advertising at Resonate Networks, Reston, VA - Dec 3, 2010.
a data driven and rapidly growing online advertising company, is seeking a highly talented, creative and motivated Data Mining expert.
- Analyst, Strategic Analytics/Modeling at Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide, White Plains, NY - Dec 2, 2010.
developing predictive models, designing and executing ad hoc statistical research, and executing model validation and scoring for various CRM initiatives.
- Software Development Engineer in Test II at Microsoft, Redmond, WA - Dec 1, 2010.
Do you want to protect Microsoft customers from fraud and corruption on the internet? Can you think like a spammer/phisher to break protection mechanisms and develop a framework for testing complex algorithms? Do you want to be part of the success of the largest web service at Microsoft? The Windows Live Safety Platform group has a ground-floor opportunity for you!
- Data Quality Analyst at Microsoft, Redmond, WA - Dec 1, 2010.
Are you looking for an opportunity to provide actionable business intelligence enabling the business to make data-driven decisions to positively impact both Microsoft consumers and Windows Live?
- Applied Research Manager at Microsoft, Redmond, WA - Dec 1, 2010.
lead the applied research team responsible for developing technologies to keep Microsoft customers safe from abuse on the Internet.
- Web Analytics Manager at FT.com, New York, NY - Dec 1, 2010.
work at the forefront of our business with stakeholders across all departments (marketing, product development, advertising, finance, editorial, and IT) to plan and understand key product changes and their intended business impact.
- Data Mining Analyst at Waterfront International, Toronto, Canada - Dec 1, 2010.
WIL is a financial consulting firm, specializing in developing computer based statistical trading strategies.
- How Data Analytics and BI Professionals Used Twitter in November - Dec 7, 2010.
Spotfire blog brings news from experts on how BI "hit the road," a data mining founder and lots of buzz around social BI and mobile BI.
- The Predictive Model: Its Reliability and Validity - Dec 7, 2010.
Bruce Ratner reexamines these concepts so that model builders and marketing users of models know whether their predictive models are meritable.
- Recent data analytics & visualization contests - Dec 6, 2010.
Popular topics include direct marketing, geo-location, navigation, and traffic prediction. Given the increasing demand for data scientists, companies will do well to reach to top contestants.
- Opening My Mind to Open Data - Dec 6, 2010.
Open is suddenly cool because of open source; There is an ongoing movement towards open data; in the UK, US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, Norway and even Kenya. Open is suddenly cool because of open source
- Analyzing Literature by Words and Numbers - Dec 4, 2010.
The titles of every British book published in English in and around the 19th century are analyzed for key words and phrases that might offer fresh insight into the minds of the Victorians.
- Tom Breur on How to build predictive models - Dec 2, 2010.
Much has been written on building predictive models, but this summary by Tom Breur is very clear and concise
- Life-Time Value Modeling of Big-ticket Items - Dec 1, 2010.
LTV modeling of big-ticket items puts forth analytic-tactical issues because the sales patterns are "spotty"
CFP - Calls for Papers (see also All CFP)
The vision must be followed by the venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps - we must step up the stairs. (V. Havner) (thanks to @glenux)