Data Mining / Analytic News, Feb 2011
- Poll Results: Analytics / Data Mining Salaries up in 2011 - Feb 28, 2011.
$113,000 is the avg. salary for a US analytics/data mining professional, up about 10% from 2010. Salaries also went up in W. Europe, Asia, and Latin American regions.
- Most viewed items for Feb 20-26 - Feb 28, 2011.
Free Public Datasets; Visualize your data in the Google Data Explorer;
Top jobs: Data Mining Specialist at Apple; Postdoc fellows at IBM Watson Research Center;
- Yahoo Key Scientific Challenges Awards - Applications due March 11 - Feb 26, 2011.
This program lets PhD students gain access to Yahoo!'s world-class scientists, some of the richest and largest data repositories in the world, and have the potential to make a huge impact on the future of the Internet while driving your research forward.
- Most viewed items for Feb 13-19 - Feb 20, 2011.
Free Public Datasets; New Poll: Annual Income/Employer type;
Top jobs: CMU Research Fellowships in Machine Learning and Data Mining at U. of Porto, Portugal, Porto, Portugal; Database Marketing Analyst at IBM, Anywhere, US;
- KDD Cup 2011: Recommending Music in Yahoo! - Feb 18, 2011.
The KDD Cup contest releases over 300 million ratings performed by over 1 million anonymized users. The ratings are given to different types of items-songs, albums, artists, genres-all tied together within a known taxonomy.
- New Poll: Annual Income/Employer type - Feb 13, 2011.
New KDnuggets Poll is asking: What is your annual salary/income range and employer type? Please vote on www.kdnuggets.com
- Most viewed items for Feb 6-12 - Feb 13, 2011.
Free Public Datasets; New site for data-related questions;
Top jobs: Database Marketing Analyst at IBM, Anywhere, US; Data Analysis Consultant at Megaputer Intelligence, Bloomington, IN;
- Poll Results: IBM to win in Jeopardy vs Humans - Feb 11, 2011.
60% of KDnuggets readers expect IBM Watson computer to win, which would be a tremendous milestone for artificial intelligence.
- Most viewed items for Jan 30 - Feb 5 - Feb 6, 2011.
Free Public Datasets; New Poll: Will IBM "Watson" defeat human Jeopardy Champions?;
Top jobs: Postdoc Positions in Data Mining at U. of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia; Research Engineers at Yahoo! Labs within Barcelona Media, Barcelona, Spain;
- New Poll: Will IBM "Watson" defeat human Jeopardy Champions? - Feb 1, 2011.
Who will win: IBM Watson computer or Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter, two former Jeopardy champions? Please vote on www.kdnuggets.com. The match will take place on Feb 14, 2011.
- Additions to KDnuggets in January - Feb 1, 2011.
New in companies, competitions, education, meetings, software, solutions, websites sections