Data Mining / Analytic Publications News, Apr 2011
- NGMR Guru Interview with Jeff Jonas of IBM - Apr 30, 2011.
Jeff Jonas talks about Big Data, Text Analytics and Privacy and how analysis can become faster when more data is available.
- Chomp App Search Analytics for March 2011 - Apr 28, 2011.
Chomp App Search Analytics show top search queries, usage trends, and more. Chomp is the search engine for apps which learns the functions and topics of apps, so you can search based on what apps do, not just on their name.
- KDnuggets 11:n11, KDnuggets Facebook page; Who competes more; More competitions; Largest DB? - Apr 27, 2011.
Latest news on data mining & analytics, including Features (8) | Courses (3) | Webcasts (1) | Software (8) | Jobs (10) | Academic (2) | Meetings (1) | AudioVideo (3) | Publications (5) | NewsBriefs (5) | CFP (6)
- Gartner: BI, Analytics Software Spending Jumps 13.4% - Apr 25, 2011.
Global spending on BI, analytics and performance management applications jumped 13.4 percent in 2010 to US$10.5 billion, according to Gardner.
- New Book: Evaluating Learning Algorithms - Apr 25, 2011.
examines various aspects of the evaluation process with an emphasis on classification algorithms; techniques for classifier performance assessment, error estimation and resampling, obtaining statistical significance as well as selecting appropriate domains for evaluation.
- Why is Apple Tracking You? - Apr 22, 2011.
Apple needs your data to build its own location database for use with geo-location apps and for diagnostics (where dropped calls happen etc).
- Hadoop for Business: Interview with Mike Olson, Cloudera CEO - Apr 21, 2011.
hese days, data comes from machines talking to machines. Hadoop knows how to capture and store that data cheaply and reliably, even if you get to petabytes
- US Senators Propose Data Privacy Law - Apr 16, 2011.
Bill would require data collectors to let individual to opt-out of any information collection that is unauthorized by the Act and provide affirmative consent (opt-in) for the collection of sensitive personally identifiable information. Intel, Microsoft, and eBay support the proposed legislation.
- KDnuggets 11:n10, Top R GUIs; LinkedIn Skills; Online MS; More from Data 2.0 - Apr 13, 2011.
Latest news on data mining & analytics, including Features (7) | Software (3) | Jobs (4) | Meetings (1) | AudioVideo (1) | Publications (2) | NewsBriefs (4) | CFP (14)
- xkcd bad data mining: only green jelly beans cause acne - Apr 11, 2011.
Data Mining 101: a great example of what not to do by xkcd creator Randall Munroe
- Revolution Analytics - Apr 8, 2011.
the company boasts around 100 customers, split about 70-30 between the workstation and the server options. It offers proprietary code and support, with with subscription pricing, for its version of open source R software, including parallelized algorithms for multi-core processors.
- 20% off on Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery Books - Apr 6, 2011.
from Chapman & Hall/CRC, including Automated Physical Database Design and Tuning, Mining Software Specifications: Methodologies and Applications, and Data Clustering in C++.
- KDnuggets 11:n09, Crossword; R GUI Poll; Heritage Health Prize starts - Apr 6, 2011.
Latest news on data mining & analytics, including Features (5) | Courses (1) | Software (5) | Jobs (5) | Academic (1) | Meetings (2) | AudioVideo (2) | Publications (3) | NewsBriefs (6) | CFP (6)
- Berry and Linoff: Data Mining Techniques 3rd Edition - Apr 5, 2011.
In the 14 years since the first edition came out, our knowledge has increased by a factor of at least 10 while the page count has only doubled so I estimate the information density has increased by a factor of five
- Steve Miller on Scorecasting - Apr 4, 2011.
The book incisive analyses debunk "the hot hand" for basketball shooters, demonstrates racial bias in the hiring of NFL head coaches and explains the lost century for the Chicago Cubs
- New York Times: When the Data Struts Its Stuff - Apr 3, 2011.
Statistics don't have to be dull - gurus of visual analytics can make them a pleasure to comprehend.