Data Mining / Analytic News, May 2011
- Most viewed items for May 22-28 - May 29, 2011.
Poll Results: analytics/data mining tools used for a real project; IBM launches Hadoop-based analytics software, big data services;
Top jobs: Scientist - Predictive Analytics at ISO Innovative Analytics; Statistical Modeler at The Nielsen Company
- New Poll: Your Education Level - May 24, 2011.
What is your highest education level? Please vote.
- Poll Results: analytics/data mining tools used for a real project - May 23, 2011.
The poll had a record participation (over 1,100 voters). 43% of them used only commercial software, 32% only free software, and 25% both. RapidMiner, R, and Excel were again the most popular tools, with SAS remaining the top commercial tool.
- Most viewed items for May 15-21 - May 22, 2011.
New Poll: Analytics, Data Mining Tools Used; New Startup in Predictive Analytics Market;
Top jobs: Data Analyst at DataQuick, San Diego; PhD, Postdoc position in Machine Learning at U. of Hildesheim.
- KDD Innovation and Service Awards: Nominations due July 1st, 2011 - May 18, 2011.
KDD Innovation and Service Awards recognize outstanding technical and service contributions to the KDD field. Nominations are due July 1.
- Most viewed items for May 8-14 - May 15, 2011.
New Poll: Analytics, Data Mining Tools Used; Heritage Health Prize Demands Exclusivity; Others Call for a Boycott
Top jobs: Project manager, data mining / product development at Vadis Consulting, Belgium; Sr. MTS Architect at PayPal.
- New Poll: Analytics, Data Mining Tools Used - May 10, 2011.
New KDnuggets Poll is asking: Which data mining/analytic tools you used in the past 12 months for a real project?
- Poll results: Largest dataset analyzed - May 10, 2011.
Globally, 21% of data miners worked with Terabyte or larger datasets, and 30% in the US/Canada. The median was in 10-20 GB range.
- Most viewed items for May 1-7 - May 8, 2011.
Free Public Datasets; Free tools for data cleaning, visualization and analysis;
Top jobs: Sr. QMS Data Analyst at Sonos; Research scientist / engineer in healthcare data analysis at Xerox Research Centre Europe, Grenoble;
- Heritage Health Prize Demands Exclusivity; Others Call for a Boycott - May 6, 2011.
Heritage Health Prize recent rule change which demands complete exclusive rights to the algorithms used on their data provokes calls for a boycott
- KDD 2011, Aug 21-24, San Diego - Registration open - May 3, 2011.
Register now for KDD-2011, the premier international forum for data mining researchers and practitioners.
- Most viewed news, jobs in April - May 2, 2011.
Poll Results: most popular R GUIs; xkcd bad data mining: only green jelly beans cause acne;
Top jobs: Quantitative Researcher at WeatherBill; Director, Data Analytics, BI at a leading finance firm
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in April - May 1, 2011.
New companies, datasets, education, faq, meetings, publications, software, solutions, and websites
- Most viewed items for Apr 24-30 - May 1, 2011.
Free tools for data cleaning, viz, analysis; Book: Evaluating Learning Algorithms;
Top jobs: Business Analyst, Amazon.com Forecasting Team; Data Mining Analyst, Ads Platform at Microsoft