August 26, 2011 by Sandro Saitta
Do you feel lonely? Do you want more colleagues? Especially ones that understand expressions such as validation error, overfitting and SVM? Then you need to find data miners. Here are a few advices on how to find them:
- Have a look at the list of data mining people on Kmining
- Follow some of them on Twitter
- Get in touch with the VIP in data mining
- On LinkedIn, do a people search using "data mining"
- Search for "data mining" on the "Members" page of AnalyticBridge
- Participate to KDnuggets forums
- Go to data mining conferences and meet data miners (see KDnuggets and Kmining)
Gregory Piatetsky, Editor KDnuggets: I would also suggest searching for people working on "Analytics" and "Data Science" - similar, but currently more fashionable terms for "Data mining".
A great way to take part in technical discussions is via many LinkedIn Groups on Analytics/Data Mining. I can suggest
- Business Analytics
- Advanced Business Analytics, Data Mining and Predictive Modeling
- Next Gen Market Research (NGMR)
- Statistics & Analytics Consultants Group
- KDnuggets Analytics and Data Mining