Data Mining / Analytic News, Nov 2011
- Top news for Nov 20-26 - Nov 27, 2011.
Analytics and Data Mining Industry Overview; Google BigQuery Big data analytics; New Poll: Where did you use Analytics / Data Mining in 2011?
Top jobs: SW Engineer - Data Mining at Siemens Research, NJ; Marketing Insights Manager at Microsoft, Seattle, Chicago, or New York;
- New Poll: Where did you use Analytics / Data Mining in 2011? - Nov 21, 2011.
In which industries / fields you applied Analytics / Data Mining in 2011? Please vote.
- Analytics and Data Mining Industry Overview - Nov 21, 2011.
my keynote talk at San Diego Superdata summit, a survey of where analytics/data mining has been, the current state of the industry, cloud analytics vs ground analytics job skills, and assessment of some big data trends.
- Top news for Nov 13-19 - Nov 20, 2011.
Poll Results: Top Algorithms for Analytics/Data Mining; Free Web Mining Services for the People;
Top jobs: Data Mining/Research Analyst at Princeton; Phd position in Text Mining for Identifying Radical Innovations at K.U. Leuven, Belgium.
- Top news for Nov 6-12 - Nov 13, 2011.
Poll Results: Top Algorithms for Analytics/Data Mining; New Analytics Startup from Cloudera Founder; WSDM Yandex Challenge
Top jobs: Analytical Modeling Scientist at SAS, San Diego; Ruby on Rails Developer (Analytics) at In-Q-Tel, Arlington.
- Poll Results: Top Algorithms for Analytics/Data Mining - Nov 8, 2011.
Latest KDnuggets Poll shows that Decision Trees, Regression, and Clustering are the top algorithms; Uplift modeling has the highest industry affinity. Only 14% have used Cloud analytics so far.
- IEEE ICDM Research Contributions Award - Nov 7, 2011.
the winner is Prof. Geoff McLachlan (U. of Queensland) for many contributions to the fields of classification, statistical learning, and pattern recognition.
- IEEE ICDM Outstanding Service Award - Nov 7, 2011.
the winner is Dr. Christopher Clifton (Purdue University), recognized for a long history of promoting ICDM and the data mining field in general.
- Top news for Oct 30 - Nov 5 - Nov 6, 2011.
R Cookbook with examples; More Frequently-Asked Questions (and Answers);
Top jobs: Manager, Client Analytics at Edward Jones, St. Louis; Analytics Manager at Opera Solutions, Paris.
- Kaggle gets Venture Funding - Nov 3, 2011.
Kaggle, a platform for data mining competitions, got $11 million from investors including Khosla Ventures, Index Ventures, PayPal co-founder Max Levchin, and Hal Varian, Google's chief economist.
- Top news, jobs in October - Nov 1, 2011.
Judge forbids use of Bayes Theorem. Really?; Beginning ML/NL Classes, Bay area; Data Mining Ontology Foundry;
Top jobs: Data Mining Scientist at Apple; Research Scientist - KR at IBM Research, Dublin.
- Additions to KDnuggets in Oct - Nov 1, 2011.
New companies, datasets, education, meetings, publications, software, solutions, websites