KDnuggets™ News 11:n12, May 11
Features (12) |
Courses (5) |
Webcasts (3) |
Software (3) |
Jobs (14) |
Academic (1) |
Competitions (1) |
Publications (5) |
NewsBriefs (5) |
CFP (19) |
- New Poll: Analytics, Data Mining Tools Used - May 10, 2011.
New KDnuggets Poll is asking: Which data mining/analytic tools you used in the past 12 months for a real project?
- Poll results: Largest dataset analyzed - May 10, 2011.
Globally, 21% of data miners worked with Terabyte or larger datasets, and 30% in the US/Canada. The median was in 10-20 GB range.
- Tom Davenport to Keynote at Predictive Analytics World, New York, Oct 17-21 - May 10, 2011.
Register by May 20 to get Super Early Bird Pricing for Predictive Analytics World, the business event for predictive analytics professionals, managers and commercial practitioners, covering today's commercial deployment of predictive analytics, across industries and across software vendors.
- Heritage Health Prize Demands Exclusivity; Others Call for a Boycott - May 6, 2011.
Heritage Health Prize recent rule change which demands complete exclusive rights to the algorithms used on their data provokes calls for a boycott
- KDD 2011, Aug 21-24, San Diego - Registration open - May 3, 2011.
Register now for KDD-2011, the premier international forum for data mining researchers and practitioners.
- Please Participate in the 5th Annual Data Miner Survey - May 10, 2011.
Rexer Analytics is conducting our 5th annual survey of the analytic behaviors, views and preferences of data mining professionals. All analytic professionals are invited to participate.
- Ex-Yahoo execs create ChoozOn to sift through the daily deal clutter - Apr 29, 2011.
ChoozOn, co-founded by Usama Fayyad, allows individuals to create their own "personal deal networks" in which users pick the brands and stores that they like the best in order to receive tailored offers.
- US Supreme Court Hears Arguments In Rx Data Mining Case - Apr 27, 2011.
The Court appeared split in a case testing state limits on the buying, selling and profiling of a doctor's prescription records without the physician's consent.
- Most viewed items for May 1-7 - May 8, 2011.
Free Public Datasets; Free tools for data cleaning, visualization and analysis;
Top jobs: Sr. QMS Data Analyst at Sonos; Research scientist / engineer in healthcare data analysis at Xerox Research Centre Europe, Grenoble;
- Most viewed news, jobs in April - May 2, 2011.
Poll Results: most popular R GUIs; xkcd bad data mining: only green jelly beans cause acne;
Top jobs: Quantitative Researcher at WeatherBill; Director, Data Analytics, BI at a leading finance firm
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in April - May 1, 2011.
New companies, datasets, education, faq, meetings, publications, software, solutions, and websites
- Most viewed items for Apr 24-30 - May 1, 2011.
Free tools for data cleaning, viz, analysis; Book: Evaluating Learning Algorithms;
Top jobs: Business Analyst, Amazon.com Forecasting Team; Data Mining Analyst, Ads Platform at Microsoft
- Learn What Really Works in Data Mining, June 13 - 17, New York City - May 10, 2011.
Leverage highly valuable insight from within your existing data through an intensive course series with over 20 years of innovation. Discount for KDnuggets subscribers - register by May 16
- New Degree Programs Help Meet the Demand for Analytic Talent - May 3, 2011.
the demand for people with analytics skills and expertise is growing much faster than other occupations. Many colleges are introducing new degree and certificate programs focused on data mining, data analytics and business intelligence.
- Earn online MS in Predictive Analytics from NWU - May 2, 2011.
enter a rapidly growing professional field armed with technical expertise and knowledge required for all aspects of data analysis, including advanced analytics, computer-based data mining, database management, financial analysis, predictive modeling, quantitative reasoning, web analytics and more.
- May 12, Advanced Analytics and Predictive Modeling Forum, Michigan - May 9, 2011.
A day-long seminar exploring both practical and leading-edge applications of quantitative business intelligence (QBI).
- May 9, Marketing for Response Versus Profit, Bentley U Virtual Analytics Symposium - May 3, 2011.
a framework where response and profit are jointly considered, aligned with the goal of optimizing margins; examples of response-focused pitfalls, root causes of response-generated value loss, integrating profit and response, what to do when response and profit conflict, and more.
- Dhiti - a Text Mining API - May 9, 2011.
Dhiti is a Bangalore based start up that provides Text Mining APIs on the cloud, which can work on a document collection and mine out topics and concepts in realtime.
- Microsoft BI Labs and SQL Server Data Mining for the Cloud - May 6, 2011.
Microsoft has recently launched BI Labs, a collection of experimental business intelligence projects and useful applications, including SQL Server Data Mining for the Cloud.
- Gartner Magic Quadrant 2010 for Business Intelligence Platforms - May 5, 2011.
In 2010, business users had greater influence over BI buying, often choosing data discovery vendors as an alternative to traditional BI tools. But megavendors continued to hold the majority of BI market share, despite ongoing customer dissatisfaction, by selling the stack into their installed base.
- Project manager, data mining / product development at Vadis Consulting S.A., Brussels, Belgium - May 10, 2011.
Manage complex data mining and data quality projects. Translate the market needs into solution specification.
- Experienced data miner / manager at Vadis Consulting S.A., Brussels, Belgium - May 10, 2011.
Translating business problem and potential actions into a decision process based on data analyses; Build predictive models and segmentation analyses; Lead the implementation of a solution productize processes using model predictions
- R&D and Software Engineer at Vadis Consulting S.A., Brussels, Belgium - May 10, 2011.
Develop data and graph mining components in C++, and research activities in advanced algorithms and data/information technologies. VADIS is a consulting, BI solution and application software company.
- Sr. MTS Architect at PayPal, San Jose, CA - May 10, 2011.
designing and developing the eBay market place overall security architecture to protect its information assets; developing target architectures and corresponding strategies to move from the current state to the target architecture.
- Senior Predictive Modeler at Elite Analytics, Sacramento, CA, or commute from major hub - May 9, 2011.
top analytical talent for a multi-year project with a large tax agency in California, to integrate predictive analytics into various tax compliance functions, including collection risk management, audit selection, filing enforcement, and fraud detection.
- Senior Software Engineer, Machine Learning / Data Mining at eBay Inc., San Jose, CA - May 6, 2011.
Help the Seller Standards team better understand seller behavior through pattern recognition over hundreds of millions of data records. Learn and help us identify a multitude of behavioral patterns using various data points to drive change on the eBay market.
- Director, Audience Measurement at Cablevision, Bethpage, NY - May 5, 2011.
directing strategic Audience Measurement initiatives and ensuring that large and complex and/or multiple products are implemented on time, within budget and meet customer expectations.
- Technical/Scientific Programmer Procedural C at Salford Systems, San Diego, CA - May 3, 2011.
seeking strong C programmers to refactor and extend our existing codebase. Current code base is largely C, with a some mathematical FORTRAN at its core. Our initial projects include writing APIs for our various machine learning engines and extending the functionality of our products.
- Lead GUI Programmer at Salford Systems, San Diego, CA - May 3, 2011.
recast our existing custom GUI developed in C over the past decade as WPF/.Net.
- Sr. QMS Data Analyst at Sonos, Cambridge, MA or Santa Barbara, CA - May 1, 2011.
Perform data mining, analysis, and reporting of key metrics. Provide reporting to management of observed trends in process and product quality, customer experience, and drill downs of root cause.
- Sr. Data Mining Manager at Microsoft, Bellevue, WA - Apr 29, 2011.
drive multiple efforts including: segmentation, modeling, analyses for business decision-support, quality control, measurement, business interactions, and evangelism of existing and new targeting products.
- Data Mining Analyst - Ads Platform at Microsoft, Bellevue, WA - Apr 28, 2011.
The AI Data Mining team is responsible for the integrity and quality of targeting segments and data, and for providing analytical insights into various targeting products and features.
- Computational Biologist - Mathematical Applications - Analytics - R&D at Dow AgroSciences, Indianapolis, IN - Apr 28, 2011.
development and application of computational biology, mathematical, and statistical algorithms and software to mine biological datasets
- Market Research and Intelligence - Associate at Bayada Nurses, Moorestown, NJ - Apr 27, 2011.
bring market research and intelligence to various strategic marketing and business issues and to influence important business decisions impacting both the company and its services.
- Steve Miller on Data Science - May 7, 2011.
It almost seemed that data science suffered from "not invented here" syndrome. So I determined right there and then to further investigate the differences between BI and DS.
- The Silicon Jungle: - May 5, 2011.
fictionalized account of data mining and machine learning in today's largest internet companies, written for a general audience. The book focuses on data safety, scientific responsibility, and how data can be constructively used as well as misused when not handled carefully.
- Top Names vs Professions on LinkedIn - May 4, 2011.
LinkedIn Blog has an interesting analysis of top names for different professions.
- NGMR Guru Interview with Jeff Jonas of IBM - Apr 30, 2011.
Jeff Jonas talks about Big Data, Text Analytics and Privacy and how analysis can become faster when more data is available.
- Chomp App Search Analytics for March 2011 - Apr 28, 2011.
Chomp App Search Analytics show top search queries, usage trends, and more. Chomp is the search engine for apps which learns the functions and topics of apps, so you can search based on what apps do, not just on their name.
- Deloitte buys Oco Inc., SaaS BI provider - May 10, 2011.
Deloitte has acquired substantially all of the assets of Oco, Inc., a leading provider of enterprise-class software as a service (SaaS) business intelligence (BI) solutions.
- Data Mining Algorithm Identifies Melanoma-Detecting Biomarker - May 4, 2011.
a 17-gene genomic biomarker, identified by Salford Systems data mining algorithm TreeNet(r), enables the Epidermal Genetic Information Retrieval (EGIR) method to detect melanoma accurately.
- Yale SOM, IBM Prepare Students with Analytics Skills - May 4, 2011.
Yale SOM and its Center for Customer Insights in collaboration with IBM is addressing the need for students to build strong analytics skills with a first-of-its-kind "Customer Insight" project-focused class.
- Angoss Software Patent for Interactive Decision Tree Modification - May 2, 2011.
Patent 7,873,651 is for a method and system for interactive decision tree modification and visualization
- New mobile analytics startup Sewichi - Apr 29, 2011.
the start-up will measure, track and analyze mobile data, which is richer than PC data.
CFP - Calls for Papers (see also All CFP)
- MLGC 2011: Machine Learning for Global Challenges, due May 6
- PAW-UK: Predictive Analytics World, due May 12
- DS 2011: Discovery Science, due May 18
- TAW: New Conference: Text Analytics World (speaker proposals), due May 23
- KDD4Service 2011: Data Mining for Service and Maintenance, due May 27
- PAW-GOV: New Conference: Predictive Analytics World for GOVERNMENT (speaker proposals), due May 30
- Industrial ICDM 2011: Short Papers, Industry Papers and Workshop Papers for ICDM 2011, due May 31
- ADKDD 2011: Data Mining and Audience Intelligence for Online Advertising, due Jun 2
- MultiClust 2011: Discovering, Summarizing and Using Multiple Clusterings, due Jun 7
- NEMO 2011: Finding patterns of human behaviors in NEtworks and MObility data, due Jun 7
- PlanSoKD 2011: Planning to Learn and Service-Oriented Knowledge Discovery, due Jun 7
- DMLG 2011: Machine Learning and Data Mining in and around Games, due Jun 7
- ISEW 2011: Intelligent Techniques in Software Engineering, due Jun 7
- RecSys 2011 demos: ACM Conference on Recommender Systems demos, due Jun 10
- MCP 2011: Mining Complex Patterns, due Jun 13
- AMAI-LocalPatterns: Special Issue on Local Pattern Mining in Graph-Structured Data, due Jun 15
- AusDM 2011: AusDM 2011: Australasian Data Mining Conference, due Jun 24
- FDML 2011: 2011 International Symposium on Foundations of Data Mining and Learning , due Jul 1
- DiveRS 2011: Int. ACM RecSys Workshop on Novelty and Diversity in Recommender Systems, due Jul 25
There are no longer end users, every user is the start of something, a node in the creation of information that is no longer highly centered and radial.