KDnuggets™ News 11:n18, Jul 27
Features (6) |
Webcasts (2) |
Software (2) |
Jobs (11) |
Academic (4) |
Competitions (2) |
Meetings (4) |
Publications (3) |
NewsBriefs (10) |
CFP (4) |
- Poll results: Text analytics use grows steadily - Jul 25, 2011.
fewer people did not use text analytics vs 2 years ago, and more respondents (21.5% vs 14%) used them in over half of the projects.
- Obama Builds Data Team That Could Inform Digital Ads, Social - Jul 18, 2011.
Obama for America has been hiring data quants, and recently posted job openings for predictive modeling and data mining analysts, along with state data directors.
- Nine analytics Workshops in NYC this October; PAW News - Jul 26, 2011.
deliver top notch analytical and business expertise across the hottest topics, at PAW and Text Analytics World, Oct 16-21, New York, NY
- Top news for Jul 17-23 - Jul 24, 2011.
Obama Builds Data Team; Microsoft Daytona big-data analytics.
Top jobs: Predictive Modeling/DM Scientists/Analysts at Obama 2012, Chicago; Data Mining Researcher at Motorola.
Most tweeted: Obama Builds Data Team; Data Analysis Contest Using R
- Most viewed items for Jul 10-16 - Jul 17, 2011.
Analytic positions at Obama 2012 Campaign; A Random Algor. Library for DM; New Poll: Text Analytics Use?;
Top jobs: Analytic positions at Obama 2012 Campaign; SW Engineer, Data Analytics/Modeling at Guardian Analytics;
Most tweeted: Analytic positions at Obama 2012 Campaign; Ben Shneiderman on Information Visualization for Knowledge Discovery
- SAS Analytics 2011 Conference, Oct 24-25, Orlando - Jul 23, 2011.
Discount to KDnuggets readers on registration for SAS Analytics 2011 Conference. Listen to experts talk about data mining, forecasting, text analytics, fraud detection, predictive modeling, operations research and more.
- Webinar: Data Mining: Failure to Launch - Jul 26, 2011.
Attend this free webinar on Aug 17 or Sep 27 to learn how to get started with data mining and overcome both strategic and tactical limitations that cause data mining projects to fall short of their potential.
- On-demand webinar: Trace Your Steps through Analytics - Jul 20, 2011.
showcases our Lavastorm Desktop Product and the data traceability features which allow you to create a complete analysis and trace your steps along the way.
- Research Scientists at Thomson Reuters, New York, NY - Jul 26, 2011.
hiring experts in information retrieval, ML, NLP, and data mining. We work closely with business units to turn our voluminous data and content assets into intelligent information.
- Microsoft hiring Data Mining/Statistical Analysis at KDD-2011 - Jul 25, 2011.
Bing and Ad teams will be at KDD and we'd love to talk to you about a career in data mining or statistical analysis.
- Marketing Analyst at Fifth Third Bank, Cincinnati, OH (or anywhere within our Banking Footprint) - Jul 21, 2011.
Develop, design and analyze multifaceted direct marketing programs to drive improved results for lines of business (LOB).
- AVP, Business Analytics at Fortune 500 Insurance Corp, Atlanta, GA - Jul 21, 2011.
lead the Business Analytics team to provide strategic thought leadership, coaching, mentoring, and talent development for the business analytics team to encourage continued progression and high performance
- Sr. Technical Data Analyst at A9.com, Palo Alto, CA - Jul 20, 2011.
Hands-on analysis of large search/catalog data for driving business performance, forecasting, goal-setting, and product troubleshooting, in partnership with teams across Amazon and A9
- Applied Researcher, Microsoft Adcenter at Microsoft, Bellevue, WA - Jul 20, 2011.
retrieve the most relevant information to users, provide a strong ROI for advertisers, and generate maximum value from search traffic - all at the same time, those are the team goals.
- Data Analyst/SW Engineer at GETCO, Algorithmic Trading/Finance Firm, Chicago, IL - Jul 19, 2011.
Top financial firm is looking for a data analyst / software engineer to join its risk management team.
- Director of Analytics Solutions at Predixion Software, TeleCommute - Jul 19, 2011.
Design, model, develop, support enterprise scale predictive analytics software solutions.
- Data Mining Researcher at Motorola, Libertyville, IL - Jul 18, 2011.
advanced research in analytics for Motorola Mobility Applied Research Center; use advanced aspects of data mining, machine learning, and statistical natural language processing, involving large data sets from a variety of domains.
- Analyst at 1010data, New York, NY - Jul 13, 2011.
create large-scale analytical solutions to client driven business problems, including designing high-performance databases and the corresponding operation and workflow processes
- Predictive Modeling and Data Mining Scientists/Analysts at Obama 2012 Presidential Campaign, Chicago, IL - Jul 13, 2011.
analyze the campaign data to guide election strategy and develop quantitative, actionable insights that drive our decision-making. Looking for people at both the senior and junior level to join the campaign Analytics Dept through November 2012.
- Predictive Modeling and Data Mining Postdoctoral Research Fellow at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH, USA - Jul 25, 2011.
Predictive modeling of patients clinical outcomes based on the content of the electronic health record and building stochastic and knowledge based models to predict changes in the patients clinical status and predict prognosis.
- PhD studentship at City U., London, UK - Jul 23, 2011.
working on the analysis of eye movements for detecting visual and neurological disorders. Training in bioinformatics, statistics, computer science or mathematics would be ideal.
- Professor positions, Computer Science, Mathematical Statistics, Machine Learning, Large Scale Data Mining at IMT Institute for Advanced Studies, Lucca, Italy - Jul 22, 2011.
working at the intersection between CS, physics, information theory, and mathematics, who combine a strong theoretical background with an orientation towards research on processing huge amounts of complex data in the analysis of socio economic, technical, or biological.
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Computational Statistics at U. of Guelph, Dept. of Math & Statistics, Guelph, ON, Canada - Jul 15, 2011.
implementation of novel mixture model-based techniques for clustering and classification that are being developed within the group. Join a vibrant research group which specializes in the development of novel clustering and classification methodologies.
- Data Analysis Contest Using R - Jul 18, 2011.
The goal: promote/improve the value of housing data from Nestoria, an online property search engine used by more than 2.5M visitors/month.
- Kaggle: Claim Prediction Challenge - Jul 13, 2011.
predict Bodily Injury Liability Insurance claim payments based on the characteristics of the insured's vehicle.
- 2011 IEEE ICDM Research Contributions and Outstanding Service Awards - Jul 25, 2011.
Nominations due August 15 for the Research Contributions Award (for influential research contributions to the field of data mining) and the Outstanding Service Award.
- KDD-2011 News: Program and Schedule, Hotel - Jul 22, 2011.
The full program and posters are now available online, and hotel rooms are filling fast - register today!
- Predictive Analytics World NYC Highlights - Jul 21, 2011.
Download conference preview guide for an in-depth look at the PAW's all-star speaker line up and array of case studies.
- Salford Systems Training at JSM - Jul 13, 2011.
will focus on advances in tree-based modeling tools, data mining, predictive analytics and modeling automation technology. Combining CART, MARS, TreeNet and RandomForests data mining engines into a single suite allows the analyst to easily check and compare the performance of different data approaches in order to select the best one.
- Ninja Metrics analyzes player behavior to enhance online gaming experience - Jul 26, 2011.
can analyze data to identify key traits among massive multiplayer online gaming communities to let game creators identify players psycho-social motivations and improve user experience.
- SAS big analytics tackles big data, speeds analysis - Jul 26, 2011.
New capabilities simplify big data management and allow businesses to derive insights from all of their data, not just a sample. Companies like Expedia can now use their data in ways that were not previously possible.
- Clario Analytics Launches Clario Core - Jul 24, 2011.
An out-of-the-box, cloud-based marketing analytics solution that puts actionable intelligence within reach of marketers
- Vivisimo Receives U.S. Patent for Clustering System and Method - Jul 23, 2011.
Remix clustering provides emerging themes to the researcher, enabling faster knowledge discovery and exploration.
- First Look - Modern Analytics - Jul 22, 2011.
started in 2001 by building analytical capabilities for a major bank in Europe; later expanded their analytic infrastructure, for which they hold a number of patents, to many other industries.
- IBM rolls out cloud-based Web analytics tool - Jul 20, 2011.
New tool, product of Unica and Coremetrics acquisitions, links analytics from platforms including Web and social media with marketing efforts
- Microsoft Wants To Eliminate Buyer's Remorse - Jul 19, 2011.
scans a large DB of product histories to predict which way the price of a piece of high-tech hardware will vary in the coming months.
- SAS Celebrates 35 Years as an Analytic Innovator - Jul 17, 2011.
The world largest privately-held software company commemorates 35 years of continuous revenue, customer and employee growth
- Big Data and the European Commission: CFP - Jul 15, 2011.
projects that develop and test new technologies to manage and exploit extremely large volumes of data, with real time capabilities are encouraged to apply for funding from European Commission.
- DataSift Secures $6 Million in Funding - Jul 14, 2011.
DataSift reads social data sources, including Twitter, FB, and WP and lets users mine that data in a highly granular way.
CFP - Calls for Papers
anything that gets invented after you’re thirty is against the natural order of things and the beginning of the end of civilisation as we know it until it’s been around for about ten years when it gradually turns out to be alright really.
Douglas Adams, in How to Stop Worrying and Learn to Love the Internet