- New Poll: Methods/algorithms used in 2011 - Oct 25, 2011.Which methods/algorithms did you use for data mining/analytics in 2011? Please vote on www.kdnuggets.com
- CrossValidated - Q/A site for statistical topics - Oct 25, 2011.Cross Validated is a site where people can ask and answer questions about statistical topics, part of the Stack Exchange network of community driven Q & A sites.
- Predictive Analytics World London - one month to go! - Oct 25, 2011.One month before Predictive Analytics World London (30 Nov - 1 Dec) - meet the top experts and learn from latest case studies. Register now and save! Bigger savings when you bring a colleague.
- Awareness, Opportunity and ROI in text analytics - Oct 21, 2011.This exclusive interview covers such topics as improving customer satisfaction, ROI analysis of text analytics projects, and emerging opportunities in the field.
- Top news for Oct 16-22 - Oct 23, 2011.Judge forbids use of Bayes Theorem; If Data Were a Person; Habits of Highly Effective Data Professionals;
Top jobs: Manager, Predictive Analytics and Optimization at Shopzilla, LA; Database Marketing Analyst at Stroll, Philadelphia;
- Top news for Oct 9-15 - Oct 16, 2011.Judge forbids use of Bayes Theorem. Really?; How Obama's data-crunching prowess may get him re-elected;
Top jobs: Data Mining Scientist at Apple; PhD students in Mobile Sensing/Data Mining at U. of Koblenz, Germany
- Center for Data Mining and Predictive Analytics at DePaul U., Chicago - Oct 25, 2011.Learn about MS in Predictive Analytics, industry partnerships with the Center for Data Mining and Predictive Analytics
- Earn Stanford Graduate Certificate in Data Mining Online - Oct 19, 2011.As data mining professionals, you need to see what others can't and be smart enough to know what you're looking at. Stanford graduate courses give you the tools you need to extract meaning from large datasets, develop predictive models, and understand strategic decision-making applications.
- Beginning Machine Learning and Natural Language Classes, Oct - Nov, Bay area - Oct 14, 2011.Are you interested in beefing up your skills? Consider taking a Machine Learning Class!
- Learn What Really Works in Data Mining: Nov in Dallas | Dec in Los Angeles - Oct 11, 2011.insist on 1000% ROI from your data mining initiatives! Learn how to get it from TMA Predictive Analytics and Data Mining course series.
- Data Mining: Failure to Launch [ Free Webinar, Nov 9 ] - Oct 24, 2011.learn how to get started with data mining and overcome both strategic and tactical limitations that cause data mining projects to fall short of their potential.
- Data mining tools review - update - Oct 23, 2011.An updated Excel table with data mining tools from the paper by R. Mikut, M. Reischl: "Data Mining Tools". Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery, Sep/Oct 2011.
- Vertica Analytic Database Free Community Edition (up to 1 TB) - Oct 20, 2011.the Vertica Community Edition software will be limited to 1 terabyte (wow !) of raw data, a three-node cluster size and Community Support only.
- Oracle R Enterprise - Oct 17, 2011.enables users to run R commands on database-resident data, develop and refine R scripts, and leverage the parallelism and scalability of the database.
- LIONsolver 2.0: modeling and optimization software - Oct 15, 2011.smart software to build models, visualize them, and optimize business and engineering processes, a powerful tool for data mining, modeling, problem solving and decision making.
- Sr. Data Warehouse Engineer at Move, Inc. (Realtor.com), Westlake Village, CA - Oct 20, 2011.responsible for developing and maintaining ETL processes that power our customer-facing Web Analytics and Business Operations Performance Data Warehouse.
- Senior Data Warehouse Engineer at Move, Inc. (Realtor.com), Campbell, CA (Silicon Valley) - Oct 20, 2011.responsible for developing and maintaining ETL processes that power our customer-facing Web Analytics and Business Operations Performance Data Warehouse.
- Database Marketing Analyst at Stroll, Philadelphia, PA - Oct 19, 2011.responsible for delivering effective marketing analyses and business intelligence to the company, and leverage an internal customer database to transform complex data into actionable business strategies
- Manager, Predictive Analytics and Optimization at Shopzilla, Los Angeles, CA - Oct 18, 2011.Are you passionate about online shopping, excited to leverage state-of-the-art methods to turn big data into business value, can manage people and projects, and see an idea through from conception to delivery ?
- Senior Manager, Strategic Analytics at SIRIUS XM Radio, New York, NY - Oct 14, 2011.conducting statistical analyses in support of our marketing and strategic initiatives, combining consultative skills with quantitative abilities.
- (Senior) Director Analytics at Innovation Labs, 24/7 Customer, Bangalore, India - Oct 13, 2011.Deliver Predictive Analytics, Data Mining, Text Mining, Machine Learning driven products and solutions to 24/7 Clients.
- Faculty, Information Systems at U. of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada - Oct 24, 2011.Applicants should have a PhD, (or near completion) in the area of Information Systems with a strong technical background and interest in HCI, information visualization, system analysis, software engineering, machine learning or database.
- Assoc. Professor Position in Information Systems or Operations Research at U. of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada - Oct 24, 2011.Applicants should have completed their PhD in the last 10 years in Industrial Engineering, Operations Research, Computer Science or Information Systems/Software Engineering; must have a very strong established record of research, and demonstrated ability as an excellent instructor.
- PhD students in Mobile Sensing & Data Mining, Semantic Web and HCI at U. of Koblenz, Germany - Oct 12, 2011.The Institute for Web Science and Technologies - WeST - focuses on research in Web retrieval, social Web, semantic Web and interactive Web.
- Don't Get Kicked Competition - Oct 16, 2011.how to avoid purchasing a used car at an auto auction that might have serious issues that will prevent it from being sold to customers.
- Web Search Click Data workshop and competition (on Yandex data) - Oct 12, 2011.Workshop participants will get Yandex click log challenge dataset, and monetary prizes will be awarded to the winners. Of particular interest is the relation between click data and editorial relevance judgments
- KDD Cup 2012 Call for Proposals - Oct 12, 2011.We invite proposals for KDD Cup 2012 competition, the well-known data mining competition held in conjunction with KDD-2012, the premier conference on data mining and knowledge discovery.
- ACM Data Mining Camp 2011 Report - Oct 22, 2011.over 500 people attended to learn about big data, map reduce, predictive models, mobile analytics and crowdsourcing.
- SuperData Summit (Nov 16, San Diego) Celebrates analytics and features Watson - Oct 19, 2011.features IBM's Watson demo, next generation supercomputers, and a look at the future of analytics
- Marketing Analytics - Boston - November 10-11 - KDnuggets discount - Oct 14, 2011.designed for Marketing, Customer Insight, Customer Intelligence, Competitive Intelligence, and Market Research professionals who wan to know how top performers in both B2B and B2C businesses utilize customer and marketing analytics. Special discount to KDnuggets readers!
- If Data Were a Person, Who it would it be like? - Oct 22, 2011.Australian antropologist attempts to describe this hypothetical person: Data loves a good relationship, has a country, is feral, likes to deceive, doesn't last forever, and more.
- Habits of Highly Effective Data Professionals - Oct 19, 2011.What if Steven Covey, author of best-selling "7 habits of Highly Effective People" was a technologist, data professional, or data scientist?
- Cops on the trail of crimes that haven't happened - Oct 17, 2011.The software used by Santa Cruz police dept as looks at WHERE crime might be committed.
- Big Data in the Dirt (and the Cloud) - Oct 16, 2011.Climate Corporation used 60 years of crop yield data, 14 TB of soil data (every 2 sq. miles for the US), to create insurance against climate events like drought, too much rain at the planting or the harvest, or an early freeze.
- Government Aims to Build a 'Data Eye in the Sky' - Oct 14, 2011.social scientists are trying to mine the Web searches, Twitter, Facebook, blogs, phone locations and other digital signals to predict the future.
- Benford's Law indicates growing accounting fraud in the US - Oct 14, 2011.The deviation increased sharply between 1982-1986 before leveling off, then zoomed up again from 1998 to 2002. The deviation dropped off very slightly in 2003-2004 after the enactment of Sarbanes-Oxley accounting reform act in 2002.
- 25 years of Machine Learning Journal - Free access in October - Oct 12, 2011.The Machine Learning journal has been the arena of the scholarly debate for 25 years, reach a vast audience with high-quality content. Celebrate the 25th Anniversary year with us!
- SeatGeek Launches Columbus Event Discovery Engine - Oct 24, 2011.Columbus is an event discovery engine that uses social data to predict events SeatGeek users might like.
- Decision Systems Distributes PolyVista for IBM Cognos TM1 - Oct 24, 2011.PolyVista seamlessly combines OLAP analysis with data mining and visualization
- MDS Lavastorm Business Performance Analytics Suite - Oct 22, 2011.Suite includes Lavastorm Analytic Platform, Resolution Center, Transaction Warehouse, Data Acquisition Module, and BillAnalyzer.
- Oracle Buys Enterprise Search And Data Management Company Endeca - Oct 21, 2011.Endeca's core technology enables companies to correlate and analyze unstructured data and provides enterprise search, including guided search, and auto-categorizing results based on entered keywords.
- Using SAS Analytics, Manheim optimizes dealer relationships - Oct 17, 2011.SAS(r) operations research and forecasting help Manheim increase buyer and seller success.
- GAO: DHS does more data mining than it reports - Oct 16, 2011.How much data mining does the Homeland Security Department do? DHS says a little; the Government Accountability Office says more than a little.
CFP - Calls for Papers
- ADMC-2012: Salford Analytics and Data Mining Conference, due Nov 4
- PAKDD-2012 Tutorials: The 16th Pacific-Asia Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, due Nov 13
- PL-2011: Preference Learning and Ranking, due Dec 31
- RWDM: Real World Data Mining, due Dec 31
- KDD-12W: KDD-2012 Workshop Proposals, due Jan 15
- PAW-Chicago-12: Predictive Analytics World, due Jan 19
- KDD-2012: 18th ACM SIGKDD Conf. on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, due Feb 10
QuoteDesign is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks. But of course, if you dig deeper, it's really how it works.