Data Mining / Analytic News, Feb 2012
- New Poll: Was Target wrong in using analytics to find pregnant women? - Feb 26, 2012.
New KDnuggets Poll is asking: Was Target wrong in using analytics to identify pregnant women from changes in their buying behavior and market to them proactively?
- Top news for Feb 19-25 - Feb 26, 2012.
Day in the Life of Big Data; SkyTree Fast Machine Learning Server; When Analytics are creepy
Top jobs: Data Mining Scientist at Apple; Market Research Analyst at Nielsen
- Poll Results: Analytics/Data Mining Salary by Region - Feb 25, 2012.
This year poll received twice as many votes as in 2011. US, AU/NZ and West Europe lead in salaries, and we see a significant number of self-employed analytics professionals doing very well.
- Stephen Colbert on Target and Predictive Analytics - Feb 24, 2012.
The Colbert Report looks at Target and how their predictive analytics can identify woman's pregnancy just from the changes in her buying habits. Are those analytics too much?
- Buy Now or Wait for your next Tablet? - Feb 22, 2012.
Decide.com, called "perhaps the biggest consumer weapon" by the New York Times, collects and mines billions of transactions to help you decide whether to buy now or wait. Decide.com has the answer for your next Tablet.
- Help Create The Human Face of Big Data - Feb 21, 2012.
The Human Face of Big Data project is dispatching one hundred leading photographers around the globe to capture how Big Data is enabling us to address humanity's biggest challenges. Suggestions for assignments accepted until Mar 15.
- Top news for Feb 12-18 - Feb 19, 2012.
Gartner Magic Quadrant for BI Platforms; Weave OS data viz; Big Data in Mass
Top jobs: Postdoc Researcher - Data Scientist at NREL; Sr. Database Architect at Knowledge Exchange
- Big Data Gets Star Treatment in Massachusetts - Feb 17, 2012.
How to satisfy the demand for Big Analytics on Big Data? Different approaches showcase the strength of Big Data Industry in Massachusetts.
- KDnuggets Day: Feb 13 is the 15th anniversary of KDnuggets - Feb 13, 2012.
I feel lucky to be able to cover such an exciting, growing field. The buzzwords have changed from Knowledge Discovery to Data Mining to Predictive Analytics to Data Science, but the essence has remained.
- Top news for Feb 5-11 - Feb 12, 2012.
Top influencers in Big Data, Analytics, and Data Mining; New Poll: Analytics/DM Salary; Anonymized data not so anonymous
Top jobs: Data Science Positions for PhDs, Students and a Chief Algo. Officer at Accretive Health, Chicago; Data Scientist at Resonate, Reston, VA.
- New Poll: Analytics/DM Salary? - Feb 7, 2012.
New KDnuggets Poll is asking: if you are in Analytics field, what is your Annual Salary/Income? Please vote
- Who are the top influencers in Big Data, Analytics, Data Mining? - Feb 6, 2012.
KDnuggets was #15 on Forbes List of Top Influencers in Big Data. Who are the others, and who influences Analytics and Data Mining?
- Top news for Jan 29 - Feb 4 - Feb 5, 2012.
KDDCUP 2012; Microsoft plan for Hadoop and big data; The Koblenz Network Datasets
Top jobs: Data Scientist at Twitter; Research Scientist at RSA.
- Top news, jobs in January - Feb 1, 2012.
KDDCUP 2012; 5 Big Data Startups to Watch in 2012;
Top jobs: 10+ outstanding ML researchers at GE Global Research, San Ramon, CA; ML and DM Research Scientists at ATnT Labs, NJ and CA.
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in January - Feb 1, 2012.
New companies, datasets, education, meetings, software, blogs added to KDnuggets Directory