Data Mining / Analytic News, Mar 2012
- Top KDnuggets Analytics, Data mining, and Big Data tweets, Mar 29-31 - Mar 31, 2012.
Social network analysis with R, 25% of discovery, neutrinos and SwissRailPass, US Gov panel on Big Data, 10 Analytics Job Trends, and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Mar 26-28 - Mar 28, 2012.
Data mining in one picture, Top 10 in Data Mining, Walmart Big Data Tools, Best explanation of "faster than light neutrinos" and more.
- Data Science Top Online Influencers - Mar 28, 2012.
The current leaders are Alex Popescu (myNOSQL), James Kobielus (Forrester Research), Gregory Piatetsky (KDnuggets), and Jeff Kelly (SiliconANGLE).
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Mar 19-25: 1st course in Data Science, SAP drops SPSS, Google Big Query - Mar 26, 2012.
First (?) course in Data Science, SAP dropping SPSS, Google Big Query, SXSW, Twitter and McDonalds, guessing the vote in presidential elections, and more.
- Top news for Mar 18-24 - Mar 25, 2012.
New Poll: Can Machine Learning on Big Data replace Domain Expertise?; Berkeley Data Science course, resources; Caltech ML course
Top jobs: Data Scientist at Facebook; Director of Analytics at Altius U.
- New Poll: Can Machine Learning on Big Data replace Domain Expertise? - Mar 21, 2012.
The results of recent analytics competitions show that in increasing number of domains machine learning and data mining experts are able to produce better results than domain experts. Can Machine Learning on Big Data eventually replace Domain Expertise? Please vote at www.kdnuggets.com
- Top KDnuggets tweets, March 12-18 - Mar 19, 2012.
Top KDnuggets tweets last week were about R and Hadoop, Judea Pearl, Facebook data scientist, Military intelligence, and more
- Top news for Mar 11-17 - Mar 18, 2012.
Hilary Mason: how to use BigData; TR Social Media Sentiment Analysis
Top jobs: Data Scientist at PayPal, Facebook; Summer Internship at Akamai
- KDnuggets Top Analytics Tweets - Mar 15, 2012.
For aspiring data scientists, Hilary Mason on good uses for Big Data, Paypal: Data Scientist, How data will change 2012 elections, and more.
- Top news for Mar 4-10 - Mar 11, 2012.
Data miners think Target was not wrong; Infochimps Platform for Big Data; Thomson Reuters Sentiment Analysis Service
Top jobs: Post Doc - Social Media/DM at HRL Labs; Analyst/Consultant at Nielsen
- Data miners think Target was not wrong to use analytics to find pregnant women - Mar 7, 2012.
Was Target wrong in using analytics to identify pregnant women from changes in their buying behavior ? Only 17% of data miners think so. Increased accuracy of big data analytics feels "creepy" when a big corporation knows too much about us. If understanding without empathy leads to "creepiness", should we prepare for a creepy future?
- Top news for Feb 26 - Mar 3 - Mar 4, 2012.
New Poll: Was Target wrong in using analytics?; Stephen Colbert on Target Analytics; Analytics/DM Salary
Top jobs: Data Scientist at Inkiru; Data Mining Scientist at Apple.
- Top news, jobs in February - Mar 1, 2012.
Top influencers in Big Data, Analytics, Data Mining; Poll: Analytics/DM Salary; Weave open-source data viz; Gartner MQ for BI
Top jobs: Data Science Positions for PhDs/PHD students from top schools at Accretive Health; Data Mining Scientist at Apple.
- Additions to KDnuggets in February - Mar 1, 2012.
An explosion of business-oriented meetings on Big Data and Analytics. Also new companies, datasets, education, books, software, solutions, and websites.