CareerCast, a site for job seekers, listed the top 200 jobs of 2012, ranked by work environment, income, stress level, physical demands and hiring outlook. The best job was Software engineer, but in #2 position was Actuary, who interprets statistics to determine probabilities of accidents, sickness, and death, and loss of property from theft and natural disasters.
Editor: Of course, the jobs listed were ones with most common job descriptions - thus data scientist or astronaut would not be on the list.
Other analytics-related jobs include (lower score is better in this list)
10. Mathematician, applies mathematical theories and formulas to teach or solve problems in a business, educational, or industrial climate. Score: 392, Income: $99,191.
18. Statistician, tabulates, analyzes, and interprets the numeric results of experiments and surveys. Score: 517, Income: $73,205.
32. Market Research Analyst, collects and evaluates data to make recommendations to businesses concerning trends in consumer purchasing. Score: 582, Income: $61,236
Among the worst jobs were
196. Reporter (Newspaper) (negative hiring outlook)
198. Enlisted Military Soldier
To see the full list, visit
Editor: however, I wonder about the selection criteria which puts together
141. Military General As a high-ranking leader in their branch of the armed forces, they command troops through military training operations and into battle. Score: 1252, Income: $196,017
142. Jeweler, Manufactures and repairs rings, bracelets, pins, and necklaces using precious or semi-precious metals and stones. Score: 1253, Income: $35,221