- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 23-29: 30+ R tutorials, 1M Songs challenge, Online ML classes - Apr 30, 2012.
30+ R Tutorials from around the World, Million Songs - predict what people will listen to, Review of online Machine Learning classes and more.
- A Very Short History of Data Science - Apr 27, 2012.
Gil Press is researching the origin and evolution of data science as a discipline and a profession and collects some significant milestones.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 23-24: Finding fake online reviews, Big data Video, de-duplication - Apr 25, 2012.
Machine Learning finds groups of fake online reviews, Big Data and Predictive Analytics Video series, Turn Big Data into Little Data With De-Duplication and more.
- Big Data and Predictive Analytics: Video series - Apr 24, 2012.
Watch this video series led by Fern Halper to learn more about analytics drivers/benefits, the changing user, operationalizing, Big data, and analytics in the cloud.
- Hans Rosling on Time 100 Most Influential People in the World - Apr 22, 2012.
He is an economist who has pionereed amazing GapMinder visualizations that show connections between health and wealth across time. His GapMinder software is freely available.
- Actuary - 2nd best job in the US - Apr 21, 2012.
Actuary is the 2nd most desirable job in the US, ranked by a combination of work environment, income, stress level, physical demands and hiring outlook.
- From Data Mining to Big Data and Beyond - Apr 19, 2012.
I look at the changing trends in analyzing data and the popularity of different terms, such as statistics, data mining, knowledge discovery, data science, and Big Data, and examine the gap between marketing and popular perceptions.
- Social Media: Network Analytics meets Text Mining with KNIME - Apr 19, 2012.
Here is a powerful example of combining the results from the sentiment analysis with the results from the network analysis in order to position each user inside his/her community in terms of influence (leaders vs. followers) and sentiment (positive, neutral, and negative users).
- KDnuggets 12:n09, Target awkward prediction. Again; Largest Dataset Analyzed? Python and Big Data - Apr 19, 2012.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including Target Hears You Said Yes; New Poll: Largest Dataset analyzed; Ranking data scientists and data miners; Can Python swallow an Elephant (Hadoop) ? Also Courses, Events (4), Webcasts (1), Software (6), Jobs (11), Academic (2), Competitions (2), Meetings (4), Publications (2), News Briefs (3), and CFP (7).
- Video Series: Big Data and Predictive Analytics - Apr 17, 2012.
Watch this video series to learn more about Predictive Analytics Drivers & Benefits, Operationalizing Analytics, Predictive Analytics in the Cloud, and more.
- NPR: The New World of Massive Data Mining - Apr 6, 2012.
Tom Gjelten and a panel of experts discuss the opportunities of Massive Data Mining for business, science, medicine, education, and security - and the privacy concerns.
- Text Analytics Insider Podcasts: Part III - Apr 5, 2012.
These podcasts, recorded at the recent Text Analytics Summit West, cover important topics, such as employing the cloud for efficient content analytics, and using text analytics to drive the customer experience.
- KDnuggets 12:n08, Skeptical of ML; Data Mining Top 10; Apr 5 DM Radio; San Diego - Apr 4, 2012.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including Skeptical of Machine Learning overcoming Domain Knowledge , with Features (12) | Courses, Events (4) | Webcasts (1) | Software (4) | Jobs (8) | Academic (4) | Competitions (3) | Meetings (2) | Publications (3) | NewsBriefs (4) | CFP (13)
- Framing the Data Mining Problem, Part 1 - Apr 3, 2012.
In the data mining process, where do data scientists add the most value? Is it in exploring the data, uncovering anomalies and seeing relationships between elements?