- EMC Data Science Summit 2012 Videos - May 31, 2012.
including Nate Silver keynote: What We Can Predict About Prediction, Data Visualization at the Point of Influence and many more exciting presentations and panels.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 25-29: - May 30, 2012.
Poll Results: Top Analytics, Data Mining, Big Data software; Where is Data Scientist in BI Family? Facebook Data Mining; The Haves and Have nots of BigData
- KDnuggets 12:n13, Top Analytics, Data Mining, Big Data software; nPario CEO interview - May 30, 2012.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including Features (6) | Software (2) | Courses, Events (4) | Webcasts (1) | Jobs (7) | Academic (2) | Competitions (2) | Meetings (4) | Publications (4) | NewsBriefs (4) | CFP (7)
- White Paper: Analyzing Survey Text: A Brief Overview - May 29, 2012.
Researchers can easily get more insight from their text responses using new tools for text analysis - spending less time on manual coding and reaping increased cost savings. See how you can gain a more detailed understanding of your survey results. Get it now.
- A movie about Paul The Psychic Octopus - Soccer 2010 World Cup Predictor - May 26, 2012.
Was octopus a better predictor than a Bayesian algorithm? New movie about Paul The Psychic Octopus, whose remarkable string of eight correct 'predictions' during the 2010 Soccer World Cup made him a worldwide superstar. Also an example of Data Mining #FAIL.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 21-24: Twitter, Social Network Analysis with R; Most important about Big Data - May 25, 2012.
Fun example: Twitter, Social Network Analysis with R; What is most important about Big Data; Data Science at LinkedIn; Is data mining still a sin against econometrics? and more
- Interview with Bassel Ojjeh, CEO and co-founder of nPario, makers of a Big Data Platform - May 24, 2012.
Bassel Ojjeh, CEO and co-founder of nPario has an impressive career, working on analytics and big data at Microsoft, digiMine, and Yahoo. I talked with him about his latest start-up which provides a big data platform used by clients like Yahoo and EA.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 16-20: Rise of R, decline of SAS, SPSS in academia; Google fights cancer - May 21, 2012.
Rise of R, decline of SAS, SPSS in academia; How common is your birthday? Google fights cancer; What is your #BigData Score? and more.
- Hadoop Education is Vital to Big Data Analysis - May 18, 2012.
Hadoop is a key Big Data technology, but to date very few universities have included it in their undergraduate or graduate curriculums
- KDnuggets 12:n12, Poll: Analytics, Data Mining, Big Data Software Used? - May 17, 2012.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including Features (7) | Courses, Events (1) | Webcasts (1) | Software (1) | Jobs (6) | Academic (1) | Competitions (3) | Meetings (1) | Publications (2) | NewsBriefs (2) | CFP (12)
- Video Series: Big Data and Predictive Analytics - May 16, 2012.
Watch this video series to learn more about Predictive Analytics Drivers & Benefits, Operationalizing Analytics, Predictive Analytics in the Cloud, and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 11-15: DS Hackathon; Genome Platform; Action vs Hackers - May 16, 2012.
Data Science Hackathon in NYC; Yahoo Genome Platform; "Machine Learning in Action" vs "Machine Learning for Hackers"; and more.
- White Paper: 7 Reasons You Need Predictive Analytics - May 14, 2012.
Download this white paper today and discover how you can gain strategic insights about your customers, integrate social data and text analytics, achieve greater relevancy by way of more precisely targeted marketing, and more. Get it now.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 7-10: 2-minute R tutorials; Tawlk: Real-time search of social media - May 11, 2012.
Including 90 two-minute R tutorials, Tawlk: new tool for real-time search of social media, "Analyzing Big Data with Twitter" course at UC Berkeley, and more.
- KDnuggets 12:n11, Largest Dataset Analyzed; Analytics to prevent crime? Google BigQuery - May 10, 2012.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including Features (5) | Courses, Events (3) | Software (3) | Jobs (5) | Academic (2) | Competitions (2) | Publications (7) | NewsBriefs (4) | CFP (9)
- Interview with Judea Pearl, Turing Award Winner, Graphical Probability Pioneer - May 9, 2012.
Pearl's attempt to filter out uncertainty and noisy data has profound implications for many applications, including AI, machine learning, and natural language processing.
- Election prediction using Twitter Data: it does not work - May 8, 2012.
Researcher wants to predict elections with Twitter and instead writes a survey why election prediction using Twitter does not work.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 30 - May 6: - May 7, 2012.
Online classes from Coursera/MIT/Harvard; Data scientists will become new rocket scientists when ...; Very cool: #BigData, R and HANA. Google Big Query now available.
- IBM ad: using analytics to predict and reduce crime - May 6, 2012.
Police analysis of crime data and finding patterns (using IBM software) helped several US cities cut serious crime by up to 30%. In the ad policeman stops attempted robbery before it happens, letting the criminal go away. Is that really a good way to reduce crime?
- NPR: Game Giant Forced to Play Catch Up - May 4, 2012.
Electronic Arts tries to catch up to Zynga lead in social games by using data mining, machine learning, and AI. Can EA "out-Zynga" Zynga?
- Data Science Global Hackathon Report: Incompetence borne of excessive cleverness - May 4, 2012.
Derek Jones reports on Data Science Global Hackathon - what did they do with air-quality training dataset and what did they learn from their mistakes.
- Video: Jake Porway on Data Without Borders - May 4, 2012.
Jake Porway, Data Without Borders founder, explored how to connect data scientists with social organizations at the second Big Data for the Public Good seminar
- Interview with Mike Stonebraker: "One Size does not fit all" - May 3, 2012.
I believe that "one size does not fit all". I.e. in every vertical market I can think of, there is a way to beat legacy relational DBMSs by 1-2 orders of magnitude, says Mike Stonebraker.
- Nuts and Bolts of Data Mining: Correlation & Scatter Plots - May 2, 2012.
We review two intertwined tools in the data mining arsenal: correlation and scatter plots and discuss the good, bad, and ugly things that can happen.
- KDnuggets 12:n10, Million Songs Challenge; From Data Mining to Big Data; Big Data Overheating? - May 2, 2012.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including Features (8) | Courses, Events (1) | Webcasts (2) | Software (5) | Jobs (5) | Competitions (1) | Meetings (3) | Publications (6) | NewsBriefs (7) | CFP (8)
- Gravity Defying ROI for Analytics - May 1, 2012.
Nucleus looked at ROI for analytics and identified four stages, each providing tremendous benefits to the organization with ROI that climbs from 188% in the initial stage to 1,209% in the fully implemented predictive phase.