Data Mining / Analytic News, Jul 2012
- Top news for Jul 22-28: New Poll: Languages used for analytics; Predicting Olympics Medal Count - Jul 29, 2012.
New Poll: Languages used for analytics/DM; Predicting the London Olympics Medal Count and the Math behind It;
Top jobs: Data Mining Research Engineer - Algorithms; Big Data/HPC at Bosch, Palo Alto, CA.
- Predicting the London Olympics Medal Count and the Math behind It - Jul 27, 2012.
Is it possible to predict how many medals each nation will win? Some surprising factors emerge as predictors of the number of medals.
- New Poll: Languages used for analytics / data mining? - Jul 24, 2012.
Sometimes, the high-level visual GUI is not enough and you need to code your great idea (or perform data wrangling) in a lower-level language. New KDnuggets Poll is asking: What programming/statistics languages you used for analytics / data mining?
- Top news for Jul 15-21: Nodeable Twitter Big Data Tool; Data Mining In Excel book (free download) - Jul 22, 2012.
Nodeable Twitter Big Data Tool; Data Mining In Excel book (free download); Vasant Dhar: What does Data Science mean?;
Top jobs: Sr. Analytic Scientist at Verisk Analytics; Big Data Engineering Amazon Web Services.
- Data Mining "Nobel Prize": ACM SIGKDD 2012 Innovation Award to Prof. Vipin Kumar - Jul 17, 2012.
KDD Innovation Award, the highest award for technical excellence in the field of Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD), is awarded to Prof. Vipin Kumar for his technical contributions to foundational research in data mining and its applications to mining scientific and climate data.
- ACM SIGKDD 2012 Service Award to Dr. Ying Li - Jul 17, 2012.
Dr. Ying Li is recognized for her substantial technical contributions to the practice and application of data mining and for her outstanding service to the global KDD community.
- Top news for Jul 8-14: Data Mining In Excel book (free download); Women in Analytics, Data Science - Jul 15, 2012.
Data Mining In Excel book (free download); Women in Analytics and Data Science; Stats to detect scientific fraud;
Top jobs: Sr. Director, Analytics at The Travelers; Data and Analytics Specialist at Zillow
- Poll Results: Selling your Facebook data ? - Jul 11, 2012.
Half of the voters would not sell their Facebook data at any price. The other half were willing to sell for market rate or a high amount. East Europeans were the most willing to sell, while West Europeans were the most privacy conscious.
- Top news for Jul 1-7 - Jul 8, 2012.
July 19 Webinar: Predictive Analytics on Hadoop; Visualizing Obama Twitter Network; ICDM-2012 competition: Consumer Product Mention Recognition;
Top jobs: Research Analyst: Social Media, Text Mining, Big Data at Sabre; Senior Data Modeling Analyst at CNA Insurance.
- Top news, jobs in June: YarcData 100K Big Graph Challenge; Data Science Cartoon; Women in Analytics - Jul 1, 2012.
YarcData 100K Big Graph Analytics Challenge; Data Science Cartoon; Women in Analytics and Data Science
Top jobs: Data Analyst at CR UK, London; Postdoc in machine learning and bioinformatics at SUNY Buffalo
- Top news for Jun 24-30 - Jul 1, 2012.
Women in Analytics, Data Science, Data Mining?; DePaul MS in PA; Data Science Cartoon;
Top jobs: Director, Analytics at iCrossing, NYC; Assoc. Prof. CSE/Bioinformatics focus at Politecnico di Milano.
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in July - Jul 1, 2012.
New companies, education, meetings, publications, software, solutions, websites