- On Point: Political Data Mining - Jul 31, 2012.
The campaigns and 'dark money' groups are spending a whole lot of money to target each of us on our computers. Different voter, different message. Is this a good thing?
- Top KDnuggets tweets, July 26-29: Data Science definition; Dilbert on Big Data; Olympics forecasts - Jul 30, 2012.
My definition of Data Science; Dilbert on #BigData: If we accept Big Data as our savior, we will be saved; Winning time forecast for 100m, London Olympics; 4 Excellent Big Data Case Studies; Authors of "Data Mining In Excel" respond
- Big Predictions About Big Data - Jul 28, 2012.
A look at Pew Research Big Data survey - will we find new and innovative ways to analyze, visualize, and extract value from massive and growing data sets, or will we become overwhelmed by information ?
- Top KDnuggets tweets, July 23-25: New Poll: Analytics/Data Mining Languages? BigData for education - Jul 26, 2012.
New KDnuggets Poll: What Languages you used for analytics/data mining? BigData for education: Lessons learned from MITx online courses; 35 Data sets for Math and Statistics Education; Machine learning for the impatient: algorithms tuning algorithms
- Authors of "Data Mining in Excel" respond - Jul 26, 2012.
The posting of "Data Mining In Excel book draft (free download)" was so popular that drew the response of the book authors
- New book: Mining Heterogeneous Information Networks: Principles and Methodologies - Jul 25, 2012.
The book investigate the principles and methods of mining heterogeneous information networks, by using a semi-structured heterogeneous information network model which leverages the rich semantics of typed nodes and links in a network and uncovers surprisingly rich knowledge from the network. Download available.
- KDnuggets 12:n17, New Poll: Languages for analytics/DM? DM "Nobel Prize"; What does "Data Science" Mean? - Jul 25, 2012.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including Data Mining "Nobel Prize"; Vasant Dhar on what does "Data Science" Mean? Data Mining in Excel book (free download); Dilbert on How Dogbert raised venture capital for his location-based, social-media, cloud start-up
- Reject Inference Methods - Jul 24, 2012.
Developing a solid and sound model/scorecard using a reject inference can substantially increase the size, and quality of a customer base or portfolio. Here we look at the use and development of reject inferences.
- FREE IBM White Paper: The How's and Why's of Survey Research - Jul 23, 2012.
Discover the seven steps to better survey research -- and discover how predictive analytics can take it to the next level. Get the white paper now.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, July 19-22: Coursera online courses in ML, Stats, Data; Community Detection in Networks with R - Jul 23, 2012.
Coursera online courses in Machine Learning, Stats, Data Analysis from top universities; Community Detection in Networks with R; The Myth of De-Identification: three data points can identify 87% in US; What do top Kaggle competitors focus on?
- Mapping Public Opinion: A Tutorial - Jul 22, 2012.
Political/county boundaries are not always the best way to break down analysis. This tutorial shows a better alternative: Isarithmic (Continuous) Maps of Public Opinion, including code in R
- Pew Research on the Future of Big Data - Jul 20, 2012.
The survey responded were split, with 53% agreeing with a relatively positive future where Big Data improves social, political, and economic intelligence. However, 39% were concerned that Big Data could cause more problems than it solves between now and 2020.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, July 16-18: Fantastic tutorial: Social Media Analysis; Top 10 Big data sources, methods - Jul 19, 2012.
Fantastic tutorial: Social Media Analysis with Twitter and Python; Top 10 Big data sources and their DM methods; SAS CEO Jim Goodnight on Analytics, Big Data, competition; NYU Prof. Vasant Dhar: What does Data Science mean?
- Framing the Data Mining Problem - Part 2 - Jul 19, 2012.
Tim Graettinger focuses on three key questions that help to clearly and explicitly define the problem to be solved at the outset of a data mining project.
- Ethics of Big Data: avoid creepiness - Jul 18, 2012.
New book, Ethics of Big Data, by a consultant and a doctor of philosophy, argues that as personal data becomes increasingly public, creators of big data will increasingly face ethical decision points.
- Data Science and Prediction, by Vasant Dhar: What does Data Science mean? - Jul 17, 2012.
The use of the term "Data Science" is becoming increasingly common along with "Big Data." What does Data Science mean? What skills should a "data scientist" possess?
- Vasant Dhar defends his proposal of Facebook as Information Market on CNBC - Jul 17, 2012.
How will Facebook justify its enormous valuation? Prof. Vasant Dhar discusses his idea of Facebook as information market on CNBC with Henry Blodgett.
- Ajay Ohri interviews Alain Chesnais, Chief Scientist Trendspottr, ACM past president - Jul 17, 2012.
Alain Chesnais talks about computer graphics, social media, Big data, Facebook, ACM and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, July 12-15: What Exactly Is GitHub? Data Mining In Excel book - Jul 16, 2012.
What Exactly Is GitHub Anyway? Data Mining In Excel book (free download); Prediction Quality Over Statistical Purity; An algorithm predicts your location by looking at your friends.
- Data Mining In Excel book draft (free download) - Jul 14, 2012.
This book is intended for the business student (and practitioner) of data mining techniques, and all data mining algorithms are provided in an Excel add-in XLMiner.
- UH Data Mining Hypertextbook - Jul 13, 2012.
This book includes chapters on Clustering, Classification, Visualization and Association Rule mining, animations of some of the key algorithms, and is provided free to other instructors thanks to NSF
- Top KDnuggets tweets, July 9-11: The 3 I's Of Big Data, SAS leads Advanced Analytics market - Jul 12, 2012.
The 3 I's Of Big Data; SAS leads Advanced Analytics market with 35.2% share; Predictive coding: a judge approves use of machine learning; SF Bay ACM Data Mining Camp
- KDnuggets 12:n16, Even split on selling FB data; Women in Analytics - Jul 12, 2012.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including Features (9) | Software (2) | Webcasts (2) | Meetings (1) | Jobs (8) | Academic (3) | Competitions (5) | Publications (8) | NewsBriefs (2) | CFP (5)
- Top KDnuggets tweets, July 5-8: Excellent tutorial on outlier detection; Why the days are numbered for Hadoop - Jul 9, 2012.
Excellent tutorial on outlier detection techniques by HPK; Why the days are numbered for Hadoop and what is likely to replace it; The role of Statistics in the Higgs Boson discovery; Big Data Startup Clustrix
- Top KDnuggets tweets, July 2-4: Data Miners Beware of Small Effects; RIP Software; Hello Data - Jul 5, 2012.
Data Miners Beware of Small Effects; RIP Software Companies; Hello Data Companies; Giants meet: Kasparov plays a game against Alan Turing chess program; Cambridge start-up Quant5
- New, Open Access, Data Science Journal - Jul 5, 2012.
EPJ Data Science is a new, Open Access, journal, addressing key challenges including extract meaningful data from complex systems; facilitating new insights; finding new empirical laws describing natural or artificial systems.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jun 28 - Jul 1: Notable Women in Data Science; New Quant Investing - Jul 2, 2012.
Notable Women in Analytics, Data Science; Big Data is the New Quant Investing; Google Playing the Big Data Long Game; Visualizing Obama Twitter Network
- Visualizing Obama Twitter Network: Viral URLs - Jul 1, 2012.
Paragon Science has developed a technology that examines dynamic networks and identifies the entities that show the highest levels of abnormal change. This application finds the most viral URLs in a twitter network.