- Exclusive: Scott Nicholson Interview: Data Science, Economics, Weather, LinkedIn, and Healthcare - Aug 28, 2012.
I recently spoke with Scott Nicholson (currently Chief Data Scientist at Accretive Health, formerly at LinkedIn) about his perspective and insights on the industry.
- New KDnuggets Poll: Highest Education Level? - Aug 27, 2012.
New KDnuggets Poll is asking: What is your highest education level? Please vote
- Poll Results: Data types analyzed/mined in the past 12 months - Aug 26, 2012.
Tabular data remains most popular (analyzed by over 70% of data miners), but text, XML, and social network data grow in popularity in 2012.
- Top news for Aug 19-25: BigData Choice: Which database to use? Stanford Big Data Mining Online - Aug 26, 2012.
Interesting Projects in Machine Learning, Data Mining; Stanford Online; BigData Choice: Which database to use?;
Top jobs: Lead Data Scientist / IT Specialist at CFPB (Consumer Financial Protection Bureau); Data Scientist - Analytics at LinkedIn
- Top news for Aug 12-18: Big Data Cartoon; Interesting Open-source ML/Data Mining projects - Aug 19, 2012.
Big Data Cartoon: what do to with 100,000 Warehouses?; Interesting Open-Source Projects in Machine Learning, Data Mining, Data Science;
Top jobs: Algorithms Scientist at Guardian Analytics; Statistical Scientist - Predictive Modeling at Experian RnD Data Lab .
- New Poll: What data types you analyzed/mined in the past 12 months? - Aug 14, 2012.
New KDnuggets Poll is asking: what data types you analyzed/mined ? Please vote and see how things changed in 2012
- Big Data Cartoon: what do to with 100,000 Warehouses? - Aug 14, 2012.
New cartoon from Ted Goff looks at the difficulties of Big Data
- Top news for Aug 5-11: Top languages for analytics/data mining; Titan Big Graph database system - Aug 12, 2012.
Poll results: Top languages for analytics/data mining; Math for Predicting the Olympics Medal Count; Titan, a new open-source Big Graph database system
Top jobs: Data Mining Engineer at Intel; Predictive Modeler at GuideOne
- Top news, Jul 29 - Aug 4: Predicting the London Olympics Medals Top languages for analytics/Data Mining - Aug 6, 2012.
Predicting the London Olympics Medal Count and the Math behind It; Poll results: Top languages for analytics/data mining programming;
Top jobs: Director of Analytics at Stylitics, NYC; Senior Applied Researcher at Bing, Microsoft
- Poll results: Top languages for analytics/data mining programming - Aug 1, 2012.
R is now used by over 50% of data miners. R, Python, and SQL were the most popular programming languages. Python, Lisp/Clojure, and Unix tools showest the highest growth in 2012, while Java and MATLAB slightly declined in popularity.
- Nominations: 2012 IEEE ICDM Research Contributions and Outstanding Service Awards - Aug 1, 2012.
The IEEE ICDM Research Contributions Award is for influential research contributions to the field of data mining. The Outstanding Service Award is for made major service contributions that promoted data mining as a field and ICDM as premier research conference in data mining. Nominations due Aug 24.
- Top news, jobs in July: Data Mining In Excel book; Predictive Analytics on Hadoop - Aug 1, 2012.
Data Mining In Excel book draft (free download); July 19 Webinar: Predictive Analytics on Hadoop; Big Predictions About Big Data
Top jobs: Research Analyst: Social Media, Text Mining, Big Data, Semantic Search at Sabre; Senior Data Modeling Analyst at CNA Insurance.
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in July - Aug 1, 2012.
Yelp academic dataset, UH Data Mining Hypertextbook and Course, GraphChi, PredPol, new meetings, publications, software, blogs.