Data Mining / Analytic Publications News, Aug 2012
- DJ Patil on Data Jujitsu: The art of turning data into product - Aug 28, 2012.
The art of using multiple data elements in clever ways to solve iterative problems that, when combined, solve a data problem that might otherwise be intractable.
- KDnuggets 12:n20, Data types analyzed; Education level; Strata free pass; Crowdsourcing vs Experts - Aug 28, 2012.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including Data types analyzed/mined; New Poll: Education Level? Strata London and New York - free pass; PAW FAQ; and Crowdsourcing vs Experts
- Practical Text Mining Book Chapter: 7 Practice Areas - free download - Aug 27, 2012.
This chapter organizes text analytics methods as seven complementary practice areas, showing how to select amongst them for your objectives.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 23-26: Stanford: Data Mining and Statistics Courses Online; Hack/reduce, Boston-area, big-data facility - Aug 27, 2012.
Stanford: Data Mining and Statistics Courses Online; Hack/reduce, Boston-area, big-data facility plans to produce 1000 #BigData experts http://; Bigger than #BigData: Facebook processes 2.5 B content items, 2.7B Likes; Hot topic! Streaming Data Mining Tutorial slides from KDD-2012
- KDnuggets Twitter connection map in NodeXL - Aug 27, 2012.
This interesting map shows a directed network, clustered by keywords,, of twitter users whose recent tweets contained kdnuggets.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 20-22: How TripAdvisor succeeded; Must read for new Data Scientists: Getting started with R/Hadoop - Aug 23, 2012.
How TripAdvisor succeeded - powerful network effects, an amazing business model, and ; Must read for new Data Scientists: Getting started with R and Hadoop; Eight Principles of Data Visualization; BigData Machine Learning and Predictive Analytics Cheat Sheet
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 16-19: Cookbook for R: solutions to common tasks and problems; Mining of Massive Datasets Book, free to download - Aug 20, 2012.
Cookbook for R: solutions to common tasks and problems; Mining of Massive Datasets Book, by top Stanford researchers, free download; Costliest Lesson? Guess which company lost $45B in market cap; Character social networks in movies - cool, useful viz
- US Government DNI Data Mining Report - Aug 20, 2012.
This unclassified report of 2011 data mining activities is done by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI) as requested by Congressional Data Mining Reporting Act.
- Mining of Massive Datasets Book - revised, free to download - Aug 16, 2012.
This excellent book by top Stanford researchers covers Data Mining, Map-Reduce, Finding similar items, Mining Data Streams, and much more. It was revised and published, but a version is still free to download
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 13-15: Interesting Open-Source Projects in ML, Data Science; Scalable Machine Learning course at Berkeley - Aug 16, 2012.
Interesting Open-Source Projects in Machine Learning, Data Mining, Data Science; SML: Scalable Machine Learning course at Berkeley, lectures & more ; Interviewing Data Scientists: 5 core skills; Why Data Science is so strong in India
- KDnuggets 12:n19, Big Data Cartoon; What data you analyzed? Interesting ML projects; 5 core skills - Aug 15, 2012.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including New Poll: What data you analyzed; Cartoon: What do you do with 100,000 Warehouses? Interesting ML open-source projects and more.
- IBM White Paper: How to get more Value from your Survey Data - Aug 13, 2012.
Read this white paper to learn four advanced analysis techniques that make survey research more effective. Download now.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 6-12: Using machine learning to find bullying; Columbia new Institute for Data Science - Aug 13, 2012.
BigData for good: Using machine learning to find tweets related to bullying; Columbia U. creating a new Institute for Data Science; Titan, a new Big Graph database system; Prediction vs Actual for 100m in London Olympics.
- Why Data Science is so strong and growing in India - Aug 13, 2012.
Educational values and approaches in India might make Data Science skill sets there more abundant than in the US and help India move beyond the low-cost tech center to a talent center.
- Data Matching - Concepts and Techniques - Aug 11, 2012.
This book details the data matching process step by step, includes an overview of freely available data matching systems and a detailed discussion of practical aspects and limitations.
- Titan, a new open-source Big Graph database system - Aug 8, 2012.
Titan is a highly scalable OLTP graph database system optimized for thousands of users concurrently accessing and updating one huge graph.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 2-5: Little Book of R For Time Series (free); Data Mining the Web Via Crawling - Aug 6, 2012.
Little Book of R For Time Series - free at Github (via Ajay Ohri); Great tips for creating a web crawler for data mining; Best and free resources for learning SAS; Yelp hit with a class action lawsuit for bad data mining algo., false ads
- Big data is our generation civil rights issue, and we don't know it - Aug 3, 2012.
Big data is great at predicting things about people, and that makes it a civil rights issue. What the data is must be linked to how it can be used.
- Practical Time Series Forecasting: A Hands-On Guide - Aug 2, 2012.
Galit Shmueli new book: Practical Time Series Forecasting: A Hands-On Guide is a non-standard forecasting book that has a distinct data mining flavor. It also has a low price and on Kindle.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jul 30 - Aug 1: New Poll: R, Python, SQL are top analytics languages; Twitter political index: Obama leads - Aug 2, 2012.
New Poll: R, Python, SQL are top programming languages for analytics, DataMining; Twindex: Twitter political index launched: Obama leads. Bitly data scientist on Measuring Attention, 4th paradigm; KNIME rated #1 in satisfaction for open source analytics
- KDnuggets 12:n18, Top Analytics/Data Mining Languages; Predicting London Olympics - Aug 2, 2012.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including top programming languages for Analytics and Data Mining; The math behind Predicting London Olympics; Dilbert's boss on Big data; and more