Data Mining / Analytic Publications News, Sep 2012
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Sep 24-26: Colleges rush to create #BigData/Analytics offerings; Former lawyer wins Kaggle contest with overkill analytics - Sep 27, 2012.
Colleges rush to create #BigData/Analytics offerings; Former lawyer wins Kaggle contest with "overkill analytics"; Where Sentiment Analysis Heads Next: 6 types of sentiment analysis; Sound of #BigData and Million Songs Dataset: video map of the hottest songs
- Pedro Domingos: A few useful things to know about Machine Learning - Sep 27, 2012.
A leading researcher explains the "folk knowledge" to successfully develop machine learning applications. This knowledge is not easily available in texbooks, and lack of this knowledge will impair many machine learning and data mining projects.
- Book: Contrast Data Mining: Concepts, Algorithms, and Applications - Sep 25, 2012.
This book shows many useful and powerful capabilities of contrast mining techniques and algorithms, including tree-based structures, zero-suppressed binary decision diagrams, data cube representations, and clustering algorithms, with applications to biology, image classification, crime analysis, and more.
- KDnuggets 12:n22, Journeys to Data Mining; What will replace Big Data; Yottamine, Precog - Sep 25, 2012.
Journeys to Data Mining of leading Researchers; Poll results: What will replace Big Data and when? and more analytics/data mining news, including Features (6) | Software (5) | Courses, Events (1) | Jobs (8) | Academic (5) | Competitions (1) | Publications (10)
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Sep 20-23: Book: Journeys to Data Mining - Experiences of top researchers; Data as a social science - Sep 24, 2012.
Book: Journeys to Data Mining - Experiences from 15 Renowned Researchers; Data as a social science: Steve Miller reviews "Machine Learning for Hackers"; #BigData education: Analyzing Twitter Data with Hadoop - how to use Apache tools to design; Tasty Data? Food Genius uses #BigData for restaurant recommendations, real-time trends
- BigData Borat speaks with KDnuggets about borshobytes, traditional Kazakhstan data measure - Sep 21, 2012.
I manage to ask BigData Borat how big is his data, and learn when data gets restraining order against compute.
- Excerpt from: The Journey of Knowledge Discovery, by Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro - Sep 20, 2012.
Here is an excerpt from my chapter in the book: Journeys to Data Mining: Experiences from 15 Renowned Researchers, just published by Springer.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Sep 17-19: Top Visualization Tools, from maps to charts to infographics; What executives don't understand about #BigData - Sep 20, 2012.
Top Visualization Tools, from maps to charts to infographics; What Executives Don't Understand About #BigData; Data Science U: Columbia course "Intro to Data Science"; How Disney built a #BigData low-budget platform
- Predicting If Scientists Will Become Stars - Sep 19, 2012.
New formula reveals if young scientists will have brilliant future, or at least a high H-index.
- Catalysis Interview with Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro - Sep 18, 2012.
Matthew Schall of Catalysis interviewed me about the future of data mining, potential benefits, the biggest obstacles, privacy issues, and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Sep 13-16: Tutorials for Learning Visualization in R; AI Program beats two million humans at Fantasy Football - Sep 17, 2012.
Nathan Yau of FlowingData: Tutorials for Learning Visualization in R; This AI Program already beat two million humans at Fantasy Football (Soccer); Soccer embraces #BigData to quantify the game; 42 #BigData experts to follow on Twitter
- The Human Face of Big Data - Rick Smolan photography project - Sep 17, 2012.
A QnA with Rick Smolan, one of the creators of The Human Face of Big Data, a look at what all the information in the world says about us.
- Next generation Hadoop - Interview with John Schroeder, MapR CEO - Sep 17, 2012.
New users need Hadoop to become easier. There are only a few Facebook-sized IT organizations that can have 60 PhDs to run Hadoop infrastructure. MapR CEO talks about the next generation of Hadoop.
- Big Data Humor from BigDataBorat - Sep 14, 2012.
I discovered this hilarious twitter account which satirizes Big Data. Warning: if you don't get the jokes, you need to take online courses in data science!
- KDnuggets 12:n21, What will replace Big Data? Education; Exclusive interview - Scott Nicholson - Sep 14, 2012.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including Features (9) | Software (2) | Courses, Events (4) | Webcasts (3) | Meetings (1) | Jobs (13) | Academic (3) | Competitions (2) | Publications (4) | NewsBriefs (3) | CFP (1)
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Sep 10-12: Best interview questions for ML/data mining; An algorithm finds suspect social-network links - Sep 13, 2012.
Peter Skomoroch of LinkedIn and others share their best interview questions for machine learning/data mining; Math vs Fraud: a Steiner tree algorithm finds suspect social-network connections; New Book: Data Mining for the Masses; Webinar (Sep 27): CCR - a new method for analyzing data with many correlated predictors
- Extracting Business Value from Text Analytics - How-to-guide - Sep 12, 2012.
This free report has lots of practical insight, recommendations and predictions from analytics experts from Disney, American Airlines, Porter Novelli, and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 29 - Sep 9: Some think "data mining" is almost dead; IBM buys Kenexa, Social #BigData company - Sep 10, 2012.
Some think "data mining" is almost dead (but it depends on how they define it); IBM buys Kenexa, Social #BigData company; 11 Ants Analytics shows how to Transform Teradata into a predictive analytics solution; Top news in August
- New Book: Data Mining for the Masses - Sep 10, 2012.
The book is written for non-experts who would like to learn basic data mining principles and techniques. It uses RapidMiner Community Edition and OpenOffice Calc as the software environments