Data Mining / Analytic News, Oct 2012
- New Poll: Should Data Scientists / Data Miners be responsible for their predictions? ( comments) - Oct 30, 2012.
The hype around the capabilities of Big Data can lead to a backlash if something does not work. Recently, an Italian judge held 7 scientists responsible for failure to predict an earthquake. When are data scientists responsible? Please vote!
- Top news for Oct 21-27: Data Mining Cartoon; Marketplace for Models; Free Statsoft software to struggling EU - Oct 28, 2012.
Data Mining Cartoon; BigML Marketplace for Predictive Models; Statsoft free software to struggling EU countries
Top jobs: Data Scientist at Kyruus; Postdocs in Data Mining, ML at KAUST, Saudi Arabia
- Top news for Oct 14-20: Data Mining Cartoon; Predicting Obama vs. Romney; Splice SQL Engine for Big Data - Oct 21, 2012.
Data Mining Cartoon: Twitter, Facebook, and Prediction; Predicting Barack Obama vs. Mitt Romney; Splice SQL Engine for Big Data
Top jobs: Senior Data and Market Analyst at Princeton; Data Scientist at Kyruus
- My HBR blog: Big Data Hype and Reality ( comments) - Oct 19, 2012.
My Harvard Business Review blog examines Big Data potential and Big Data Hype and looks at where Big Data is likely to have the most impact.
- Data Mining and Data Collection Industry Public Relation Campaign ( comments) - Oct 17, 2012.
DMA has created the Data-Driven Marketing Institute (DDMI) to engage the entire marketing industry in a coordinated campaign to set the record straight about the how data-driven marketing benefits consumers (and also prevent regulation of the consumer data-mining industry).
- Poll Results: Predicting Barack Obama vs. Mitt Romney ( comments) - Oct 16, 2012.
KDnuggets readers strongly prefer Barack Obama (63%) and 73% think he will win US Presidential election. Outside the US, Romney support is weak, except for a few countries.
- Data Mining Cartoon: Twitter, Facebook, and Prediction ( comments) - Oct 15, 2012.
New data mining cartoon looks at Social Media and whether it can predict elections and consumer tastes.
- Top news, Oct 7-13: 10 Big Data Sites to Watch; NASA Big Data Challenge; SiteCharm - Oct 14, 2012.
10 Big Data Sites to Watch; NASA Launches Big Data Challenge; SiteCharm Real-time Website Analytics
Top jobs: Jr. Researcher, ML/Data Mining/IR at DIPF, Germany; Assoc. Predictive Modeler at Allstate
- Top news for Sep 30 - Oct 6: Machine Learning folk knowledge; Predicting Obama vs Romney; R for Business Analytics - Oct 7, 2012.
Machine Learning folk knowledge from a leading researcher; New Poll: Predicting Obama vs Romney; R for Business Analytics - Read online
Top jobs: Topic Specialist, Senior Analyst, Knowledge Practice/Analytics, at The Boston Consulting Group (BCG)
- New Poll: Predicting Obama vs Romney - Oct 2, 2012.
Who do you prefer in US 2012 Presidential Election and who do you expect to win? Please vote
- Top news, jobs in September: What will replace Big Data and when? Journeys to Data Mining - Oct 1, 2012.
Poll Results: What will replace Big Data and when? Journeys to Data Mining by leading researchers
Top jobs: Data Scientist/Big Data/Hadoop at QuickenLoans; Computational Systems Scientist at Firmenich, New York, NY
- Additions to KDnuggets in September - Oct 1, 2012.
New companies, datasets, education, meetings, publications, software, solutions