Data Mining / Analytic News Briefs, Oct 2012
- Forrester Wave: Customer Analytics Solutions, Q4 2012 - Oct 30, 2012.
Leaders include SAS, IBM, Pitney Bowes, and KXEN. KXEN InfiniteInsight receives top score among all vendors for Customer References.
- Study: Big Data Analytics Taking Too Long - Oct 29, 2012.
Companies stall in data preparation phase because traditional methods do not show context of interrelationships between data
- Strata Big Data Winners - Oct 27, 2012.
Gil Press reviews the winners from Strata Conference Startup Showcase
- Strategic Big Data, Actionable Analytics on Gartner Top 10 Tech Trends for 2013 - Oct 27, 2012.
Gartner defines a strategic technology as one with the potential for significant impact on the enterprise. Gartner list of Top 10 strategic technology trends for 2013 includes Mobile Devices Battles, Personal Cloud, Internet of Things, Big Data, and Actionable Analytics.
- Data Mining and Data Collection Industry Public Relation Campaign ( comments) - Oct 17, 2012.
DMA has created the Data-Driven Marketing Institute (DDMI) to engage the entire marketing industry in a coordinated campaign to set the record straight about the how data-driven marketing benefits consumers (and also prevent regulation of the consumer data-mining industry).
- Splice SQL Engine(tm) for Big Data Apps - Oct 17, 2012.
"The NoSQL community threw out the baby with the bath water. They got it right with flexible schemas and distributed, auto-sharded architectures, but it was a mistake to discard SQL", says Monte Zweben. The Splice SQL Engine enables companies to get the cost-effective scalability, flexibility and availability their Big Data
- Lavastorm Analytics supports R Programming - Oct 16, 2012.
The new R Analytics Pack brings the full capabilities of the Lavastorm Analytics Engine to R programmers, including the ability for them to bring together disparate data, and profile, inspect, and cleanse the data themselves.
- Boston Big data space hack/reduce seeks resident hackers - Oct 13, 2012.
hack/reduce mission is to help Boston create the talent and the technologies for the big data-driven economy. Hackers get access to a large-scale compute cluster, hands-on workshops, and a physical space in Kendall Square - applications accepted now!
- Telefonica big data arm offers analytical insights into users ( comments) - Oct 13, 2012.
Telefonica, the Spanish mobile phone operator and owner of O2, is launching a new division to sell information about its customers.
- Facebook-Datalogix Partnership to Track Offline Purchases - Oct 9, 2012.
New partnership will measure how often Facebook users see a product advertised on the social site, then complete the purchase in a real-world retail store, by tracking the *anonymized* purchases of more than 100M households.
- NSF Big Data Research Awards - Oct 9, 2012.
New big data research projects sponsored by NSF aim to develop new tools and methods to extract and use knowledge from collections of large data sets to accelerate progress in science and engineering research and innovation.
- Alteryx Consumerizes Big Data Analytics in the Cloud - Oct 8, 2012.
The Alteryx Analytics Gallery is released with over 30 proven analytic applications that are free to use and download. These best practice applications help answer the big questions that drive organizational performance across several industries.
- SAS Model Manager supports SAS, PMML, R models - Oct 8, 2012.
SAS Model Manager provides a central repository for managing and using SAS Enterprise Miner, SAS/STAT, SAS High-Performance Analytics Server, open-source R, and PMML models.
- Location Intelligence - Top 12 Industries - Oct 6, 2012.
Location Intelligence has a vast array of potential applications across many industries and job functions.
- BusinessInsider Most Valuable Private Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining Companies - Oct 5, 2012.
Most valuable private companies in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining space, ranked by revenue, users, market opportunities, growth rates, and the perception of investors and tech gurus.
- Swiss Association for Analytics on LinkedIn - Oct 3, 2012.
The goal of Swiss Association for Analytics is to spread the word about analytics in Switzerland and to show added value of predictive analytics and data mining to Swiss companies.
- WSJ Next Big Thing in Analytics, Big Data - Oct 3, 2012.
Analytics and Big Data companies among WSJ list of top US venture-backed companies.