- IBM: A Better Way to Collect the Data You Need - Oct 31, 2012.
Download this white paper to discover how IBM SPSS Data Collection can help you field surveys to get the answers you need easily and efficiently - providing you with the data you need to solve problems and make better decisions. Download now.
- Strata and Hadoop World NYC 2012 Slides and Video ( comments) - Oct 31, 2012.
A treasure trove of presentations and selected videos from the great Strata 2012 NYC conference, covering Analytics, Big Data, Hadoop, Case Studies, Human Face of Big Data and lots more.
- KDnuggets 12:n25, Responsible for Predictions? Big Data Hype and Reality; Marketplace for Models - Oct 31, 2012.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including are data scientists responsibe for predictions? Features (7) | Software (2) | Courses, Events (1) | Webcasts (2) | Meetings (1) | Jobs (8) | Academic (4) | Competitions (5) | Publications (5) | NewsBriefs (6) | CFP (5)
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 22-28: Big Data Tutorial; Beware! Italian judge convicts 7 scientists for failure to predict - Oct 29, 2012.
Big Data Tutorial - techniques, tools; Beware! Italian judge convicts 7 scientists for failure to predict; Is Palantir on the way to becoming a new Google? Kaggle+Greenplum = Companies needing data scientists, meet lots of analysts
- ACM Transactions on Management Information Systems CFP - Oct 26, 2012.
Design science and system-oriented papers are especially welcome, including papers on analytics, data mining, text mining, and/or web mining, particularly within the context of a specific domain, system, or organizational or managerial need.
- New Book: Service-Oriented Distributed Knowledge Discovery - Oct 24, 2012.
The book presents techniques and systems to extract useful knowledge from large volumes of data by exploiting distributed data mining models in service-oriented infrastructures.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 18-21: Steve Miller Open Source Analytics: MySQL, PostgreSQL, R; Talented analytics geeks to revolutionize healthcare - Oct 22, 2012.
Steve Miller Open Source Analytics: MySQL, PostgreSQL, R, Octave, Python; Data Scientists, talented analytics geeks, to revolutionize healthcare; My HBR blog: Big Data Hype and Reality - where Big Data will have the biggest impact? Big Data versus Business Intelligence: Two Technologies on a Collision Course
- Daily Show with Nate Silver - Oct 19, 2012.
Leading statistician Nate Silver, founder of 538.com blog, discusses the presidential race and discusses the limits of statistical predictability, and his new book - The Signal and The Noise.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 15-17: Becoming a data scientist with few courses?; Is it a good model or a bad model? - Oct 18, 2012.
Can you become a good data scientist after taking a few courses? How do you tell if it is a good model or a bad model? Data Mining Cartoon: Twitter, Facebook, and Predicting Elections; What is the skill set for the "Sexiest" Data Scientist?
- KDnuggets 12:n24, Predicting Obama vs Romney; Data Mining Cartoon: Twitter predictions - Oct 17, 2012.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including Features (7) | Software (3) | Courses, Events (1) | Webcasts (1) | Meetings (1) | Jobs (11) | Academic (4) | Competitions (1) | Publications (11) | NewsBriefs (11) | CFP (5)
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 11-14: Excel 2010 for analytics: larger data size, many functions, ; "What is Data Science ? The Art of Turning Data into Insight - Oct 15, 2012.
Excel 2010 for analytics: larger data size, many functions, power pivot; What is Data Science ? The Art of Turning Data into Insights and Products; NASA, NSF, DOE Launch Big Data Challenge; 2 new books say algorithms can't replace human judgement
- 30 big data project takeaways - Oct 13, 2012.
Technology executives are hopping on the big data bandwagon at a rapid clip as they run Hadoop pilots, eye internal information streams and struggle to find talent.
- Nate Silver: The Signal and The Noise: Why so many predictions fail, but some don't - Oct 12, 2012.
Silver's new book, The Signal and the Noise: Why So Many Predictions Fail - but Some Don't, is about the explosion of data available in the Internet age, and the challenge of sorting through it all and making thoughtful decisions.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 8-10: Great survey - Mathematics at Google; Next-Gen Data Scientists - Oct 11, 2012.
Great survey! Mathematics at Google: Math in PageRank, Gmail, Google Trends; Next-Gen Data Scientists: Google statistician on what makes a good data scientist; Gil Press reviews 10 Big Data Sites that influence the world; 5 ways #BigData is transforming everyday life - from Human Face of Big Data
- 10 Big Data Sites to Watch - Oct 10, 2012.
The websites that are changing the way we understand everything from higher education to climate patterns.
- TechAmerica: Demystifying Big Data Report - Oct 9, 2012.
The report provides the government with a comprehensive roadmap to using Big Data to better serve the American people. While Big Data is transformative, the journey towards becoming Big Data "capable" will be iterative and cyclical, versus revolutionary. Successful initiatives tend to follow three "Patterns of Deployment".
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 4-7: Why data scientists won't be replaced by tools; Alex Pentland on Big Data Biggest Obstacles - Oct 8, 2012.
Why data scientists will not be replaced by tools; Alex Pentland on #BigData Biggest Obstacles: Correlation, Human Understanding, Data; More data beats better algorithms, but better questions beat more data; Study: 40% of mobile ad clicks are useless: 22% are accidental, 18% are fraud
- Big Data Journal: Call for Papers - Oct 5, 2012.
Big Data Journal is new, open access, peer-reviewed, and will provide a valuable focus to the emerging field of big data and data science. Led by Editor-in-Chief Edd Dumbill, Principal Analyst O'Reilly Media, the Journal will launch its inaugural issue in 2013 and is now receiving manuscripts.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 1-3: Unexpected: How people eat eggs predicts personality; AI Game bots pass The Turing Test - Oct 4, 2012.
Unexpected data mining: How people eat eggs predicts their personality type; AI Game bots pass The Turing Test; 5 Key Practices Predictive Analytics Pros are neglecting (but should not); Obama vs Romney predictions; A few useful things about Machine Learning
- Ajay Ohri Book: R for Business Analytics - Read online - Oct 4, 2012.
The forthcoming book "R for Business Analytics" looks at some of the most common tasks performed by business analysts and helps the user navigate the wealth of information in R and its 4000 packages - check the book online
- Graettinger: Make Your Next Data Mining Presentation Twice As Good - Oct 3, 2012.
Improving our presentation skills will make for happier clients and bosses. In this article, Tim Graettinger focuses on five crucial practices that will make your next presentation twice as good as your last.
- KDnuggets 12:n23, Obama vs Romney predictions; A few useful things about Machine Learning - Oct 3, 2012.
Obama vs Romney poll and predictions, Machine Learning folk knowledge, and more analytics/data mining news, including Features (6) | Software (1) | Courses, Events (2) | Webcasts (3) | Jobs (7) | Academic (2) | Competitions (3) | Publications (3) | NewsBriefs (2) | CFP (4)
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Sep 27-30: 8 worst predictive modeling techniques; All credit card PIN numbers in the World analyzed - Oct 1, 2012.
8 worst predictive modeling techniques; All credit card PIN numbers in the World analyzed; A few useful things to know about Machine Learning; Coursera free course: Computing for Data Analysis using R