- New Poll: Can Machine Learning on Big Data replace Domain Expertise? - Mar 21, 2012.The results of recent analytics competitions show that in increasing number of domains machine learning and data mining experts are able to produce better results than domain experts. Can Machine Learning on Big Data eventually replace Domain Expertise? Please vote at www.kdnuggets.com
- IDC forecasts Big growth for Big Data: market will grow at 40% annual rate. - Mar 9, 2012.IDC worldwide Big Data technology and services forecast says the market is expected to grow from $3.2 billion in 2010 to $16.9 billion in 2015. Storage is expected to grow most, at 61% CAGR.
- Predictive Analytics World Toronto - April 25-26, 2012 - Mar 19, 2012.PAW's Toronto 2012 program is one of the richest and most diverse yet, featuring over 25 sessions so you can witness how predictive analytics is applied by leading companies. Special discount for KDnuggets readers
- SAS Analytics 2012, June 14-15, Cologne, Germany - KDnuggets discount - Mar 20, 2012.Join SAS and hundreds of your peers and analytical experts for two days of learning and networking at Analytics 2012 in the charming city of Cologne, Germany. Special discount for KDnuggets subscribers!
- Spotfire Predictive Analytics Q & A with Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro - Mar 8, 2012.I recently answered several interesting questions from Amanda Brandon about Sherlock Holmes, Data Science, and Predictive Analytics.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, March 12-18 - Mar 19, 2012.Top KDnuggets tweets last week were about R and Hadoop, Judea Pearl, Facebook data scientist, Military intelligence, and more
- Top news for Mar 11-17 - Mar 18, 2012.Hilary Mason: how to use BigData; TR Social Media Sentiment Analysis
Top jobs: Data Scientist at PayPal, Facebook; Summer Internship at Akamai
- KDnuggets Top Analytics Tweets - Mar 15, 2012.For aspiring data scientists, Hilary Mason on good uses for Big Data, Paypal: Data Scientist, How data will change 2012 elections, and more.
- Top news for Mar 4-10 - Mar 11, 2012.Data miners think Target was not wrong; Infochimps Platform for Big Data; Thomson Reuters Sentiment Analysis Service
Top jobs: Post Doc - Social Media/DM at HRL Labs; Analyst/Consultant at Nielsen
- INFORMS plans to establish analytics certification program - Mar 14, 2012.INFORMS plans to start offering a vendor-independent analytics certification within two years. The certification will include a standardized test, and a review of the candidate's resume or work portfolio. The test aims at analytical semi-professionals, and the "T-shaped" and "Pi-shaped" analytical professionals. But where is ACM and SIGKDD?
- Caltech course: Learning from Data, broadcast live Apr-May 2012 - Mar 19, 2012.This real Caltech Introductory Machine Learning course will be broadcast live, and will be freely available. Prerequisites: Basic probability, matrices, and calculus. Live Q&A and online homeworks
- Summer School on Privacy-aware Social Mining, Switzerland, 1-6 July 2012 - Mar 13, 2012.How to discover the patterns and models of social complexity from the digital traces of our life, in a privacy preserving way. The school is for doctoral students, young postdocs and a small number of senior researchers working on DBMS, machine learning, data mining, and related areas.
- Resource-aware Machine Learning - Summer School, Sep 4-7, 2012 - Mar 20, 2012.How to deal with data analysis and limited resources: Computational power, data distribution, energy or memory? Learn more at TU Dortmund Summer school, Sep 4-7. Travel support for excellent students.
- Webinar: Data Mining: Failure to Launch [Apr 10] - Mar 21, 2012.Learn how to get started with predictive modeling and overcome strategic and tactical limitations that cause data mining projects to fall short of their potential.
- Apr 5 Webinar: Marketing Analytics, Modeling and Optimization with LityxIQ - Mar 13, 2012.Learn how your organization can discover valuable insights about customers and optimize marketing and operational budgets using a sophisticated, powerful marketing analytics platform designed for business users.
- Data market players in 2012 - Mar 21, 2012.Who are the players in the data economy market and what are their business models? What areas are they covering and what are the services they provide around the product data?
- Lifebrowser Personal Data Mining: Microsoft Builds a Browser for Your Past - Mar 21, 2012.Prototype software called Lifebrowser uses artificial intelligence to help you revisit important events, photos, and e-mails from your own life.
- KXEN InfiniteInsight(tm) V. 6 add Social Analytics, Self-service analytics for marketing - Mar 9, 2012.New features include Supercommunity Detection and Mega-hub detection. InfiniteInsight(tm) Genius makes predictive analytics available to marketing professionals.
- Director of Analytics at Altius University, San Francisco, CA - Mar 20, 2012.What if your work in analytics could help people achieve their educational goals? Do you want to be part of a transformative team that will change the way education is delivered?
- Data Scientist at Facebook, Menlo Park, CA - Mar 17, 2012.New Grads, Masters and PhDs: Ready to dive in, get to work, and have an immediate impact? We need dynamic people that get excited by big questions and unsolved problems.
- Research Operations Analyst at Experian Simmons, Deerfield Beach, FL - Mar 16, 2012.key member of a new team dedicated to the launch and ongoing operations of a major syndicated consumer research panel deploying both active and passive measurement technologies.
- Manager - Advanced Analytics at Deloitte, National Flexible, Central (Chicago) Preferred - Mar 14, 2012.developing and managing complex analytical modeling exercises, working with senior leaders to identify new and existing analytical needs, and managing analyses using advanced statistics and data mining techniques
- Sr. Manager - Advanced Analytics at Deloitte, National Flexible, Central (Chicago) Preferred - Mar 14, 2012.Structuring and executing strategic projects and analyses; leading projects, interacting with senior leaders, and preparing compelling presentations.
- Sr Data Scientist at PayPal, San Jose, CA - Mar 13, 2012.Join Big Data Platform team, focused on Risk Management. A unique opportunity to be part of a core team of machine learning engineers and scientists.
- Summer 2012 Internship at Akamai Technologies, Cambridge, MA - Mar 13, 2012.Summer 2012 internships with Computational advertising team, for creative students with a solid empirical machine learning/statistics background.
- Data Scientist at PayPal, San Jose, CA, USA - Mar 12, 2012.Strong training/experience in machine learning, data mining, and text analysis. Lead the algorithm design and prototyping for analyzing large-scale PayPal data, including text data.
- Vice President, Strategic Analytics at a media company, New York, NY - Mar 8, 2012.Lead a team of highly qualified individuals in the areas of data mining, statistical modeling, segmentation, and in-market test design and evaluation.
- Sr. Data Analytics Engineer at Allstate, Location: Northbrook, IL - Mar 8, 2012.Analyze Telematics data, evaluate risk by measuring metrics related to the usage of the Telematics device
- Customer Experience - Data Analytics - Sr Consultant at Allstate, Location: Northbrook, IL - Mar 8, 2012.Research and statistical analysis of customer experience, operational data to improve processes and customer experience
- Postdoc in Game Theoretic Privacy-Preserving Data Mining at Loughborough U., UK - Mar 21, 2012.focus on problem where coalition parties want to discover new knowledge when they collaborate to jointly process all their data, while ensuring that each individual dataset is not revealed to the other parties.
- Postdoctoral Research in Computational Linguistics at Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL - Mar 16, 2012.Work with Prof. Shlomo Argamon in the Linguistic Cognition Laboratory, the PI of a federally-funded project to identify and analyze metaphors in multiple languages.
- Two-Year Postdoc in the School of Communication and Information at Rutgers U., New Brunswick, NJ - Mar 13, 2012.The ideal candidate will have a scholarly understanding of communication and social networks, and be comfortable with methods utilized in the analysis of large data sets
- Big Data for Enterprise - Free Report: Technology, Strategy, Adoption, Outlook - Mar 20, 2012.To mark the launch of Big Data for Enterprise conference (June 27-28, San Francisco), Data Driven Business is offering a report full of practical advice, recommendations and predictions from big data experts.
- Avinash Kaushik on Data Democracy, Making Love to Data, and Unknown Unknowns - Mar 18, 2012.Watch this brilliant presentation by Avinash Kaushik at Strata 2012 conference, in his inimitable, thought-provoking, and very quotable style.
- Seth Grimes and Tom H. C. Anderson on Infinite Possibilites Of Text Analytics - Mar 15, 2012.Text Analytics leaders Seth Grimes and Tom H. C. Anderson discuss top text analytics topics, best practices, emerging markets, and enlightening case studies.
- Hilary Mason, Chief Scientist of bit.ly, on how to find good uses for #BigData - Mar 12, 2012.challenges and lessons trying derive meaningful uses from Big data that flows through bit.ly, including philosophy of analyzing time-series data, and some cool engineering tricks.
- Ventana Research Releases Predictive Analytics Benchmark Research and Education - Mar 8, 2012.Research finds growth of predictive analytics provides competitive advantage and increased profitability, but 1/3 of organizations are not satisfied with their deployment.
- 9 more companies putting a cloud spin on big data - Mar 21, 2012.GigaOm reviews cloud-based Big Data offerings from Cetas, DNAnexus, Google, Infochimps, Kognitio, Google, Medio, Metamarkets, Microsoft, and Xignite.
- How To Catch a Criminal With Data - Mar 18, 2012.Police departments across US are using data to solve crimes faster and to prevent them from happening.
- ID Analytics sold to LifeLock - Mar 16, 2012.The deal diversifies the customer base of both companies. ID Analytics sells fraud-detection software mostly to big businesses, while LifeLock focuses primarily on consumers.
- Thomson Reuters Launches Social Media Sentiment Analysis Offering - Mar 10, 2012.Machine Readable News service now delivers analytics on up to 50,000 news sites and four million social media sites to enhance trading strategies.
CFP - Calls for Papers
- DMIN'12: The 2012 International Conference on Data Mining, due Mar 26
- BioDM: Biological Data Mining and its Applications in Healthcare, due Apr 6
- PAW Boston 2012: Predictive Analytics World (Bos), due Apr 13
- ASONAM 2012: Advances in Social Network Analysis and Mining , due Apr 15
- ECML PKDD: The European Conference on Machine Learning and Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases, due Apr 19
- ICDM 2012 Contest : IEEE ICDM 2012, due Apr 29
- RDMbook2: Data Mining Applications with R , due Apr 30
- BigMine-12: Big Data, Streams and Heterogeneous Source Mining, due May 9
- CROWDKDD12: Crowdsourcing and Data Mining, due May 10
- SocialCom: 2012 ASE/IEEE International Conference on Social Computing , due May 11
- ECML PKDD d: ECML PKDD Demonstrations, due May 18
- ECML PKDD n: ECML PKDD Demonstrations, due May 18
- IMMM 2012 : Advances in Information Mining and Management, due Jun 7
QuoteInternet user value to the Internet advertising ecosystem is estimated at $1,200, while the cost of buying a user profile is around $0.005.
The Atlantic, Mar 19, 2012, How Much Is Your Data Worth?