KDnuggets™ News 12:n14, Jun 12
Features (8) |
Software (3) |
Webcasts (3) |
Meetings (2) |
Jobs (5) |
Academic (7) |
Competitions (2) |
Publications (9) |
NewsBriefs (7) |
CFP (13) |
- Decline Effect in Business Analytics - failure to replicate? - Jun 4, 2012.
We can improve by learning from failures, but there are very few documented examples of business analytics failures, especially failures to replicate, where a business effect grows smaller or disappears the second time. Such examples are probably common, but people don't like to publish them. Do you know of such examples?
- Kaggle next step: Kaggle Prospect is crowdsourcing the analytic solutions - Jun 7, 2012.
Kaggle Prospect is an open data exploration and problem identification platform that lets organizations with big data solicit proposals from Kaggle community.
- 7 good reasons to attend PAW Chicago, June 25-26 - KDnuggets discount - Jun 6, 2012.
See case studies, Gain inspiration from luminary keynote addresses, Increase your knowledge with in-depth workshops, Boost return on predictive analytics, Network with your peers, and more.
- 2012 ACM SIGKDD Innovation and Service Awards: The Nobel of Data Mining - Nominations due July 1, 2012 - Jun 2, 2012.
SIGKDD Innovation and Service Awards recognize outstanding technical and service contributions to the KDD field: Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science, Knowledge Discovery in Data, and Predictive Analytics. Nominations are due July 1.
- Top news for Jun 3-9: YarcData $100K Big Graph Challenge; SIGKDD Awards; Knight $5M Data Challenge - Jun 10, 2012.
YarcData $100K Big Graph Analytics Challenge; Poll Results: Top Analytics, Data Mining software; Knight $5M Data Challenge
Top jobs: Postdoc in machine learning, bioinformatics at SUNY Buffalo; Interns in Big Data, ML, DM at Telefonica Research, Madrid.
- Top news for May 27 - Jun 2: Top Analytics, Data Mining software; Facebook Data Mining - Jun 3, 2012.
Poll Results: Top Analytics, Data Mining software used; Polygraph Facebook Data Mining; Mass. Big Data Initiative
Top jobs: PhD pos. in ML, data analysis and Vis. at Aalto U; Interns in Big Data, ML, data mining at Telefonica Research, Madrid
- Top news, jobs in May: Poll: Analytics, Data Mining Software Used? No Big Money in Big Data? - Jun 1, 2012.
Poll: Analytics, Data Mining, Big Data Software Used?; Is There Big Money in Big Data?; Online courses on Text Analytics
Top jobs: Researchers at Huawei Noah's Ark Lab, Hong Kong; Chief Algorithm Officer/Data Scientist at Allazo Health
- Additions to KDnuggets in May - Jun 1, 2012.
New consulting companies, datasets, education certificates, meetings, publications, software, analytics solutions for education
- Analytics 2012 Conference Oct 8-9, Las Vegas - Jun 8, 2012.
Join SAS and over 1,000 analytics experts at the Analytics 2012 Conference to learn the latest in analytics. Oct 8-9, Las Vegas.
- See who is coming to Text Analytics Summit, June 12-13, Boston - May 31, 2012.
Join me at the Text Analytics Summit in Boston, June 12-13. Make sure you don't miss out on your chance to join over 150 text analytics experts from AMEX, eBay, NASA, Disney, Fidelity, Dow Jones, JP Morgan, Nielsen, Reuters, Target and other top companies.
- Analytics and Testing Associate at MoveOn.org, Anywhere (virtual office) - Jun 11, 2012.
The Analysis Team works to build analytical capacity across MoveOn's different initiatives, run controlled tests, advise on data and statistics, and help ensure MoveOn projects are driven by a good use of data.
- Analytics Talent at CrowdANALYTIX, Bangalore, India - Jun 8, 2012.
CrowdANALYTIX organizes analytics contests to help organizations unravel business value by performing deep mining and analysis of their business data.
- Data Analyst at CR UK, Islington, London, England - Jun 7, 2012.
Join an analytical team of dedicated and highly skilled professionals, who provide supporter and marketing insights to the stakeholders across Fundraising and Marketing directorate. Closing date: June 17.
- Senior Analytics Consultant at JPMorgan Chase, Columbus, OH - Jun 5, 2012.
Performance Consulting is a highly visible internal consulting team that supports JPMorgan Chase's Operations organization and other strategic lines of business.
- SAS Analyst at Family Dollar Stores, Charlotte, NC - Jun 5, 2012.
Serve as an analytical consultant to various merchandising and supply chain initiatives with a primary role of supporting the strategic and tactical decision-making process.
- Heilbronn Research Fellows (Quantum Information) at U. of Bristol, UK - May 31, 2012.
We seek candidates with skills in the general area of quantum information: however, your own research need not be directly in this area.
- Heilbronn Research Fellows (Statistical Data Mining) at U. of Bristol, UK - May 31, 2012.
Topics of interest include semi-supervised learning, recommender systems, time series and streaming data analysis, and data mining for dynamic graphs and networks: however, your own research need not be directly in these areas.
- Post-doctoral Researcher in data mining at IDSIA, Lugano, Switzerland - Jun 10, 2012.
A 2-year position, for R&D of original data mining methods for classification, regression and clustering, and implementation within an existing BI program
- Lecturer / Sr. Lecturer - Business & Social Analytics at Advanced Analytics Institute, U. of Technology Sydney, Australia - Jun 4, 2012.
The Advanced Analytics Institute (AAI) aims to be a world-leading interdisciplinary facility with a focus on innovative, practice-driven, decision-making research and teaching in the broad-based analytics areas.
- Postdoctoral Associate Position in machine learning and bioinformatics at State U. of New York at Buffalo, New York - Jun 3, 2012.
The focus is on developing machine learning and math methods for analyzing massive genomic data
- Interns in Big Data, machine learning, data mining at Telefonica Research, Madrid, Spain - Jun 2, 2012.
Interns will work in the area of characterizing mobility patterns using cell phone records. Internships lasts 3 months.
- PhD and Postdoc position in Machine Learning at U. of Hildesheim, Germany - Jun 2, 2012.
Join the Information Systems and Machine Learning Lab, a research group focusing on machine learning, especially predictive modelling and probabilistic methods.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jun 7-10: Method for identifying fake reviews; ML-Flex: free machine learning software - Jun 11, 2012.
Identifying fake reviews on Amazon, TripAdvisor; ML-Flex: free machine learning software; Introduction to R for Data Mining; Data mining twitter crime hashtags
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jun 5-6: Data Mining and Exploration in R, YarcData Big Graph Analytics Challenge - Jun 7, 2012.
Data Mining and Exploration in R (slides and code), YarcData Big Graph Analytics Challenge, DM and Vis with the Yelp Academic Dataset
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 30 - Jun 4: Peter Thiel on Luck vs Skill, The Database Revolution - Jun 5, 2012.
Peter Thiel on Luck vs Skill; The Database Revolution: old SQL, NoSQL, Hadoop, and beyond; Crafting Your Research Future: A Guide to Successful MS and PhD Degrees
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 25-29: - May 30, 2012.
Poll Results: Top Analytics, Data Mining, Big Data software; Where is Data Scientist in BI Family? Facebook Data Mining; The Haves and Have nots of BigData
- New Peer-Reviewed Journal on Big Data Launching in Fall 2012 - Jun 11, 2012.
Mary Ann Liebert publishers which focus on medical and biomedical publications announced the launch of Big Data, a peer-reviewed journal that will provide a forum for world-class research exploring the challenges and opportunities of big data and big analytics.
- Big Data = Big Trouble and Noise vs. Signal - Jun 8, 2012.
Nassim Taleb (of the Black Swan fame) argues that more data is more trouble, while Google scientists talk about "Unreasonable Effectiveness of Data.". Who is right?
- New Book: Boosting: Foundations and Algorithms, by Robert E. Schapire and Yoav Freund - Jun 6, 2012.
Boosting is a very useful machine learning method based on the idea of creating a highly accurate predictor by combining many weak and inaccurate "rules of thumb."
- Big Data for Public Good - Jun 5, 2012.
A distinguished panel of experts discuss how Big Data can be used to create Social Capital.
- New Book: Behavior Computing - Jun 4, 2012.
Behavior computing consists of methodologies, techniques and practical tools for examining and interpreting behaviours in science, society, economy, culture, politics, militar, and other worlds. This book includes 6 case studies, new techniques for capturing behavior characteristics in social media, and is the first reference source for this emerging field.
- Asia Looking to Leapfrog in Big Data - Jun 11, 2012.
Asian organizations lag behind the US and Europe in data warehousing, BI, and analytics investments, but that will change.
- Six Tools Put New Twist on Business Intelligence - Jun 8, 2012.
6 BI tools - seen at Gartner recent BI Summit - provide interesting new twists on traditional business intelligence approaches
- Bime launches easy-to-use front-end for Google BigQuery - Jun 7, 2012.
Bime 4.0 browser-based data mining and data visualization tool promises to make diving into enormous databases as pleasant as taking a swim in a cool city pool.
- Angoss Software and Lexalytics Form Partnership - Jun 3, 2012.
The new capabilities are in Angoss Text Analytics for KnowledgeSTUDIO(R) powered by Salience, Lexalytics text and sentiment analysis engine.
- Data hoarding and bias among big challenges in big data and analytics - Jun 3, 2012.
Human tendencies to hoard data and to hold on to preconceived beliefs even when the data screams otherwise are among the big challenges identified at a recent MIT Sloan CIO Symposium. Also, forget about best practices and focus on next practices.
- Massachusetts, MIT and Intel Big Data Initiatives - May 31, 2012.
It includes creation of a Big Data Consortium and; Mass High Performance Computing Center designated a public-private resource for Big Data; A Big Data internship program, Support for Hack/Reduce community "hackspace", and more.
- Sprint and Agnik Team on Advanced Data Mining for Enhanced Vehicle Performance Applications - May 30, 2012.
M2M technology and cutting-edge software help people recognize driving patterns and take better care of vehicles to improve efficiency and safety
CFP - Calls for Papers
- IEEE ICDM 2012: The 12th IEEE International Conference on Data Mining, due Jun 18
- IMMM 2012: The Second Int. Conf. on Advances in Information Mining and Management, due Jun 18
- VisWeek Tutorials: IEEE VisWeek 2012 call for Tutorials, due Jun 22
- VisWeek Workshops: IEEE VisWeek 2012 call for Workshops, due Jun 22
- VisWeek Panels: IEEE VisWeek 2012 call for Panels, due Jun 22
- CIKM-demos: ACM CIKM 2012 call for demos, due Jun 23
- NFMCP 2012: New Frontiers in Mining Complex Patterns, due Jun 29
- IID 2012: Instant Interactive Data Mining, due Jun 29
- PIKM 2012: Fifth Workshop for Ph.D. Students in Information and Knowledge Management, due Jun 29
- BI2012: The 2012 International Workshop on Behavior Informatics, due Jul 25
- SMAM: The Special Workshop on Social Media Analysis and Mining, due Aug 10
- PTDM: Practical Theories of Exploratory Data Mining Workshop, due Aug 10
- DBKDA 2013: Advances in Databases, Knowledge, and Data Applications, due Sep 2
The depth and breadth of the Obama campaign 2012 digital operation - from data mining to online organizing - reaches so far beyond anything politics has ever seen, experts maintain, that it could impact the outcome of a close presidential election. Politico.com, June 12, 2012.