KDnuggets™ News 12:n16, July 12
Features (9) |
Software (2) |
Webcasts (2) |
Meetings (1) |
Jobs (8) |
Academic (3) |
Competitions (5) |
Publications (8) |
NewsBriefs (2) |
CFP (5) |
- Poll Results: Selling your Facebook data ? - Jul 11, 2012.
Half of the voters would not sell their Facebook data at any price. The other half were willing to sell for market rate or a high amount. East Europeans were the most willing to sell, while West Europeans were the most privacy conscious.
- Women in Analytics, Data Science, Data Mining? - Jun 28, 2012.
While most data scientists are men, there is a growing number of women in this field.
- Predictive Analytics World Boston, Sep 30 - Oct 4, 2012 - Jul 11, 2012.
Don't miss case studies from top organizations such as Booz Allen Hamilton, Goldman Sachs, HP, and TripAdvisor, and be a part of the leading event with over 40 sessions, hands-on workshops, and much more.
- Analytics 2012 Conference, Las Vegas, Oct 8-9 - Jul 11, 2012.
A2012 will bring together more than 1,000 analytics practitioners to learn the latest advances and research in the field and cover all the hottest topics. Exclusive discount for KDnuggets Subscribers.
- Stats Can Trip Up Scientific Data Fabricators - Jul 8, 2012.
Research data that are "too good to be true" may soon be routinely revealed using a statistical method developed by a Wharton professor Uri Simonsohn.
- Top news for Jul 1-7 - Jul 8, 2012.
July 19 Webinar: Predictive Analytics on Hadoop; Visualizing Obama Twitter Network; ICDM-2012 competition: Consumer Product Mention Recognition;
Top jobs: Research Analyst: Social Media, Text Mining, Big Data at Sabre; Senior Data Modeling Analyst at CNA Insurance.
- Top news, jobs in June: YarcData 100K Big Graph Challenge; Data Science Cartoon; Women in Analytics - Jul 1, 2012.
YarcData 100K Big Graph Analytics Challenge; Data Science Cartoon; Women in Analytics and Data Science
Top jobs: Data Analyst at CR UK, London; Postdoc in machine learning and bioinformatics at SUNY Buffalo
- Top news for Jun 24-30 - Jul 1, 2012.
Women in Analytics, Data Science, Data Mining?; DePaul MS in PA; Data Science Cartoon;
Top jobs: Director, Analytics at iCrossing, NYC; Assoc. Prof. CSE/Bioinformatics focus at Politecnico di Milano.
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in July - Jul 1, 2012.
New companies, education, meetings, publications, software, solutions, websites
- 11Ants Predictor for Teradata - Jul 5, 2012.
11Ants Predictor for Teradata transforms Teradata into a forward-looking predictive analytics solution in hours.
- US Census Bureau APIs - Jul 3, 2012.
To improve access to data and encourage innovation, the US Census Bureau has begun to provide API access to its data, beginning with the 2010 Census Summary.
- Webinar: Data Mining: Failure to Launch [July 17] - Jul 11, 2012.
Learn how to get started with predictive modeling and overcome strategic and tactical limitations that cause data mining projects to fall short of their potential.
- July 19 Webinar: Predictive Analytics on Hadoop - Jul 6, 2012.
We showcase the technical capabilities of the Universal PMML Plug-in for Datameer, a solution that combines open standards and Hadoop to reduce complexity and accelerate time-to-market for predictive analytics
- Data Scientist at Resonate, Reston, VA - Jul 10, 2012.
A highly talented and motivated Data Scientist to further develop our campaign optimization and targeting algorithms.
- Senior Director, Analytics and Research at The Travelers, Hartford, CT - Jul 9, 2012.
Commercial Actuarial Strategic Development, dedicated to advanced analytics and predictive modeling for Business Insurance, is looking for a predictive modeling project lead for Middle Markets.
- Machine Learning Lab Manager at GE Global Research, Niskayuna, NY - Jul 9, 2012.
Experienced analytics leader with a background in Machine Learning, Statistics, Data Mining, Artificial Intelligence or related areas, with a track record of innovation and leadership.
- Data and Analytics Specialist at Zillow, Seattle, WA - Jul 8, 2012.
Seeking an exceptional data wizard to join our growing business analytics team, responsible for deriving actionable insights from our terabytes of data.
- Senior Data Modeling Analyst at CNA Insurance, Chicago, IL - Jul 6, 2012.
Responsible for developing financial, economical and statistical models for senior management, making business decisions and formulating business strategy.
- Research Analyst: Social Media, Text Mining, Big Data, Semantic Search at Sabre Holdings, Southlake, TX - Jul 5, 2012.
This new cutting-edge analytic job opportunity will be involved with Social Media, Text Mining, Big Data, Semantic Search, Statistics, and Social Networking Analysis for travel distribution.
- Statistical Programmer/Data Analyst at U. of Michigan, Office of University Development, Ann Arbor, MI - Jul 2, 2012.
Provide data mining and trend analysis to support planning and operations of key fundraising programs. Also take part in knowledge & data resource management and analytics outreach.
- Analytical Modeling Staff Scientist - #12001888 at SAS Institute, San Diego, CA - Jul 2, 2012.
Analyze customer data and build high-end analytical models for solving high-value business problems, such as credit card fraud, credit risk, network security, tax fraud detection, and revenue and collections optimization.
- Postdoc Researcher at NICTA, Sydney, Australia - Jul 11, 2012.
Post-doctoral researchers with experience in user modelling and/or personalisation technologies.
- PhD position on Applied Data Mining at U. of Antwerp, Belgium - Jul 6, 2012.
Prepare PhD thesis in the field of Bigraph based social network analysis and contribute to teaching and research in the research group Applied Data Mining.
- Assoc. Professor, Computer Science and Engineering, with Bioinformatics focus at Politecnico di Milano, Italy - Jun 27, 2012.
Polimi is welcoming experts in research fields not covered by the current Faculty, such as multi-feature network-base bioinformatics, bio-data analytics, bioinformatics and computational biology applications.
- New, Open Access, Data Science Journal - Jul 5, 2012.
EPJ Data Science is a new, Open Access, journal, addressing key challenges including extract meaningful data from complex systems; facilitating new insights; finding new empirical laws describing natural or artificial systems.
- Visualizing Obama Twitter Network: Viral URLs - Jul 1, 2012.
Paragon Science has developed a technology that examines dynamic networks and identifies the entities that show the highest levels of abnormal change. This application finds the most viral URLs in a twitter network.
- Big Data: The New Natural Resource, says IBM - Jun 29, 2012.
Yet decision makers know that a huge opportunity is presenting itself, if only they can master the tsunami of data. See Big Infographic on Big Data.
- Google Playing the Big Data Long Game - Jun 28, 2012.
Google's Big Data advantage isn't simply its cloud-based model, though that is a crucial component, as we'll see. But the search giant has another strategic asset, one that gets to the heart of Big Data ...
- Top KDnuggets tweets, July 5-8: Excellent tutorial on outlier detection; Why the days are numbered for Hadoop - Jul 9, 2012.
Excellent tutorial on outlier detection techniques by HPK; Why the days are numbered for Hadoop and what is likely to replace it; The role of Statistics in the Higgs Boson discovery; Big Data Startup Clustrix
- Top KDnuggets tweets, July 2-4: Data Miners Beware of Small Effects; RIP Software; Hello Data - Jul 5, 2012.
Data Miners Beware of Small Effects; RIP Software Companies; Hello Data Companies; Giants meet: Kasparov plays a game against Alan Turing chess program; Cambridge start-up Quant5
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jun 28 - Jul 1: Notable Women in Data Science; New Quant Investing - Jul 2, 2012.
Notable Women in Analytics, Data Science; Big Data is the New Quant Investing; Google Playing the Big Data Long Game; Visualizing Obama Twitter Network
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jun 25-27: Guide to Intelligent Data Analysis; Kim Kardashian as a dynamic input/output system - Jun 28, 2012.
Guide to Intelligent Data Analysis, hands-on; bitly Data Scientist looks at Kim Kardashian as a dynamic input/output system; IBM serves tennis analytics at Wimbledon; Food data as the next target of Big Data Analytics
CFP - Calls for Papers
Who coined the well known, but often misquoted adage "If you torture the data long enough, it will confess."? It was Ronald Coase