Features (6) |
Software (5) |
Courses, Events (1) |
Jobs (8) |
Academic (5) |
Competitions (1) |
Publications (10) |
NewsBriefs (3) |
CFP (7) |
- Poll Results: What will replace Big Data and when? - Sep 24, 2012.
Smart Data and Big Analytics were leading candidates to replace Big Data, and slightly over half the respondents thought that Big Data will go out of fashion by 2014.
- Book: Journeys to Data Mining - Experiences from 15 Renowned Researchers - Sep 20, 2012.
The fifteen contributors to book are among the leading data mining scientists and professionals. They wrote about their journeys, including their motivation, the research milestones, notable successes and failures, advise for young researchers, predictions for the future, and much more.
- Yottamine - First Parallel, Elastic SVM Analytics Platform - Sep 18, 2012.
While SVM is a great method for solving difficult problems, they are cumbersome and slow. Until Yottamine Analytics SVM Suite(r) - the world's first cloud-based, high performance SVM analytics platform.
- PAW: Predictive Analytics World Sep 30 - Oct 4, Boston Who is attending - Sep 21, 2012.
Join us and network with predictive analytics experts and thought leaders who come to PAW to share their latest techniques and insight. PAW's comprehensive agenda provides case studies from fortune 1000 companies and in-depth workshops from top experts.
- Top news for Sep 16-22: Journeys to Data Mining by Leading Researchers; Top Visualization Tools; Pace Data Mining Camp - Sep 23, 2012.
Book: Journeys to Data Mining - Experiences from Top Researchers; Top Visualization Tools, from maps to charts to infographics; PACE Data Mining Boot Camp, San Diego, Oct 16-17
Top jobs: Faculty, IR, NLP, Data Sciences, Viz at U. Texas iSchool; Data Scientist - Big Data - Hadoop at QuickenLoans
- Top news for Sep 9-15: What will replace Big Data? Data Mining for the Masses - Sep 16, 2012.
New Poll: What will replace Big Data?; New Book: Data Mining for the Masses; Challenge: Matching Fingerprints
Top jobs: Data Scientist at Resonate; PhD pos. in ML/Data Mining/IR at TU Darmstadt
- Computational Systems Scientist at Firmenich, New York, NY - Sep 24, 2012.
Develop and implement computational methods for analyzing unique biological data in support of Flavor and Fragrance research. Find the flavor of Big Data !
- Data Scientist - Big Data - Hadoop at QuickenLoans, Detroit, MI - Sep 20, 2012.
Dive into large data sets of structured, semi-structured, and unstructured data to discover hidden knowledge about our business and develop methods to leverage that knowledge within our line of business.
- Data Scientist at iCrossing, Chicago, IL - Sep 20, 2012.
Want to be on the cutting edge of digital marketing technology where there are no rules, make your own rules, break them, and make new ones? Want to be a key player in a small team ? Join iCrossing
- Data Scientist at Accretive Health, San Francisco, CA - Sep 19, 2012.
Quantitative experts to help us fix some fundamental problems in the healthcare industry. You will leverage our proprietary dataset and connections to a large set of hospital systems to quickly create huge financial and societal benefit.
- Bioinformatics Scientist at Accretive Health, San Francisco, CA - Sep 19, 2012.
Leverage our proprietary dataset and connections to a large set of hospital systems to quickly create huge financial and societal benefit. This team is a startup within the company, building the next generation of our business.
- Manager, Insights and Analytics at MediaCom, New York, NY - Sep 18, 2012.
Responsible for all deliverables including weekly reporting, media and creative tests, creative analysis and accurate trafficking of creative, budget forecasting and accuracy. Act as a liaison between the Media and Analytics teams and facilitate open communication with other depts.
- Marketing Database Manager at Bloomberg BNA, Arlington, VA - Sep 14, 2012.
Lead the reporting and analysis of marketing campaigns and channels; establish and provide reports and dashboards of campaign performance; help the marketing team in data mining of in-house data
- Principal Scientist at ID Analytics, San Diego, CA - Sep 14, 2012.
Part of a team developing of ID Analytics advanced technologies in statistical score modeling, score model development and deployment, large scale database analysis and statistical algorithms.
- Senior Research Fellow at REC, Wroclaw, Poland - Sep 24, 2012.
Experienced Research Fellow to work on Computational Intelligence Platform for Evolving and Robust Predictive Systems project (INFER), a collaboration of partners in UK, Germany, and Poland.
- Faculty, Information Systems at U. Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada - Sep 21, 2012.
Faculty positions at all all levels for in the areas of human computer interaction, machine learning, databases, software engineering, as well as strong candidates in other areas.
- Post-Doctoral Fellows at IMT Lucca, Lucca, Italy - Sep 21, 2012.
IMT Institute for Advanced Studies Lucca invites applications for a variety of Post-Doctoral Fellow positions in the fields of modeling and visualization of data (deadline Sep 28), high performance computing and big data (deadline Sep 28), and pattern recognition (deadline Oct 31).
- Faculty in Formal Methods, Big Data, and Robotics at UTexas, Austin, TX - Sep 17, 2012.
Outstanding candidates in all areas of Computer Science, especially in Formal Methods, Big Data, and Robotics and invited to apply to Dept. of Computer Science of the University of Texas at Austin
- Faculty, IR, NLP, Data Sciences, Visualization at U. Texas, Austin, TX - Sep 16, 2012.
The Department of Computer Science of the University of Texas at Austin invites applications for tenure-track positions at all levels. Outstanding candidates in all areas of Computer Science will be considered, particularly in Formal Methods, Big Data, and Robotics.
- BigData Borat speaks with KDnuggets about borshobytes, traditional Kazakhstan data measure - Sep 21, 2012.
I manage to ask BigData Borat how big is his data, and learn when data gets restraining order against compute.
- Excerpt from: The Journey of Knowledge Discovery, by Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro - Sep 20, 2012.
Here is an excerpt from my chapter in the book: Journeys to Data Mining: Experiences from 15 Renowned Researchers, just published by Springer.
- Catalysis Interview with Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro - Sep 18, 2012.
Matthew Schall of Catalysis interviewed me about the future of data mining, potential benefits, the biggest obstacles, privacy issues, and more.
- Predicting If Scientists Will Become Stars - Sep 19, 2012.
New formula reveals if young scientists will have brilliant future, or at least a high H-index.
- The Human Face of Big Data - Rick Smolan photography project - Sep 17, 2012.
A QnA with Rick Smolan, one of the creators of The Human Face of Big Data, a look at what all the information in the world says about us.
- Next generation Hadoop - Interview with John Schroeder, MapR CEO - Sep 16, 2012.
New users need Hadoop to become easier. There are only a few Facebook-sized IT organizations that can have 60 PhDs to run Hadoop infrastructure. MapR CEO talks about the next generation of Hadoop.
- Big Data Humor from BigDataBorat - Sep 14, 2012.
I discovered this hilarious twitter account which satirizes Big Data. Warning: if you don't get the jokes, you need to take online courses in data science!
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Sep 20-23: Book: Journeys to Data Mining - Experiences of top researchers; Data as a social science - Sep 24, 2012.
Book: Journeys to Data Mining - Experiences from 15 Renowned Researchers; Data as a social science: Steve Miller reviews "Machine Learning for Hackers"; #BigData education: Analyzing Twitter Data with Hadoop - how to use Apache tools to design; Tasty Data? Food Genius uses #BigData for restaurant recommendations, real-time trends
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Sep 17-19: Top Visualization Tools, from maps to charts to infographics; What executives don't understand about #BigData - Sep 20, 2012.
Top Visualization Tools, from maps to charts to infographics; What Executives Don't Understand About #BigData; Data Science U: Columbia course "Intro to Data Science"; How Disney built a #BigData low-budget platform
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Sep 13-16: Tutorials for Learning Visualization in R; AI Program beats two million humans at Fantasy Football - Sep 17, 2012.
Nathan Yau of FlowingData: Tutorials for Learning Visualization in R; This AI Program already beat two million humans at Fantasy Football (Soccer); Soccer embraces #BigData to quantify the game; 42 #BigData experts to follow on Twitter
- Information Management Analytics, Visualization, Big Data Vendors to Watch - Sep 20, 2012.
The Information Management magazine list of up and coming vendors that shape the industry in the 21st Century, especially in Analytics, Visualization, and Big Data.
- 1010data Analytical Dataspace: Community Big Data Management, Analysis and Monetization - Sep 18, 2012.
1010data Analytical Dataspace is the first cloud-based community where organizations can analyze, share and monetize Big Data.
- Sleep musicalization - listen to your sleep data - Sep 14, 2012.
Hannu Toivonen's data mining research group in Helsinki has developed a method that automatically composes music out of sleep measurements - listen to it live on the Web.
CFP - Calls for Papers
- SDM13 W/T: SIAM 2013 Data Mining Workshop/Tutorial Proposals , due Sep 30
- ICML-2013 C1: Int. Conference on Machine Learning, Cycle 1, due Oct 1
- EGC 2013: 13th Francophone Int. Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Management, due Oct 5
- SDM'13: SIAM Int. Conference On Data Mining, due Oct 12
- SBP13: Social Computing, Behavioral-Cultural Modeling, and Prediction, due Oct 30
- SIGMOD 2013: SIGMOD, due Nov 13
- WAIM 2013: Web-Age Information Management, due Dec 31
You can pet a sheep but you no cant petabyte. @BigDataBorat