KDnuggets™ News 12:n25, Oct 31
Features (7) |
Software (2) |
Courses, Events (1) |
Webcasts (2) |
Meetings (1) |
Jobs (8) |
Academic (4) |
Competitions (5) |
Publications (5) |
NewsBriefs (6) |
CFP (5) |
- New Poll: Should Data Scientists / Data Miners be responsible for their predictions? ( comments) - Oct 30, 2012.
The hype around the capabilities of Big Data can lead to a backlash if something does not work. Recently, an Italian judge held 7 scientists responsible for failure to predict an earthquake. When are data scientists responsible? Please vote!
- My HBR blog: Big Data Hype and Reality ( comments) - Oct 19, 2012.
My Harvard Business Review blog examines Big Data potential and Big Data Hype and looks at where Big Data is likely to have the most impact.
- Five main reasons to attend Predictive Analytics World London, 27-28 Nov - Oct 30, 2012.
Thought-provoking predictive analytics speakers, business thought leaders, priceless networking opportunities, analytics tips and tricks that you implement, and more.
- Notre Dame MS Program in Predictive Analytics - Oct 18, 2012.
Statistics, computing, dealing with large data, and business fundamentals are integrated in the predictive analytics track of the MS in Applied and Computational Mathematics and Statistics - an intensive 10-month program that culminates in a capstone project.
- Daily Show with Nate Silver - Oct 19, 2012.
Leading statistician Nate Silver, founder of 538.com blog, discusses the presidential race and discusses the limits of statistical predictability, and his new book - The Signal and The Noise.
- Top news for Oct 21-27: Data Mining Cartoon; Marketplace for Models; Free Statsoft software to struggling EU - Oct 28, 2012.
Data Mining Cartoon; BigML Marketplace for Predictive Models; Statsoft free software to struggling EU countries
Top jobs: Data Scientist at Kyruus; Postdocs in Data Mining, ML at KAUST, Saudi Arabia
- Top news for Oct 14-20: Data Mining Cartoon; Predicting Obama vs. Romney; Splice SQL Engine for Big Data - Oct 21, 2012.
Data Mining Cartoon: Twitter, Facebook, and Prediction; Predicting Barack Obama vs. Mitt Romney; Splice SQL Engine for Big Data
Top jobs: Senior Data and Market Analyst at Princeton; Data Scientist at Kyruus
- Senior Statistical Analyst at Scotts, Columbus, OH area - Oct 30, 2012.
Support analytics/testing/modeling/promotional and advertising effectiveness efforts; be a resource for statistical applications/research techniques
- Senior Business Data Analyst at Jack in the Box, San Diego, CA - Oct 29, 2012.
Developing highly complex and specialized statistics driven analytical data models to be used within various predictive and forecasting models and analyses.
- Predictive Modeler at GuideOne, West Des Moines, IA - Oct 29, 2012.
Planning and delivering predictive models and statistical analysis to address a variety of business applications to support GuideOne strategic vision.
- Director, Measurement and Evaluation at Babson Global, Babson Park, MA - Oct 17, 2012.
The Director will lead the design, implementation, management, and continuous refinement of the measurement and evaluation system for one of the Colleges major initiatives.
- Data Mining Engineer at Groupon, Palo Alto, CA - Oct 28, 2012.
Work with other Groupon teams to design experiments, instrument our systems for appropriate data collection, and transport, transform and store the data to build better, more efficient and user friendly Groupon products.
- Sales Manager/Director at Megaputer, Bloomington, IN - Oct 22, 2012.
Score personal wins together with a fast growing data analytics company. Lead sales of Megaputer software solutions and services in a high-volume, multi-tasking environment to current and prospective accounts. Proactively identify and qualify sales opportunities, manage and develop customer accounts
- Data Analysis Consultant at Megaputer Intelligence, Bloomington, IN - Oct 22, 2012.
Create data analysis and reporting solutions for Megaputer customers with the help of PolyAnalyst platform: experimental, proof-of-concept, implementation, and production projects. Develop successful long-term relationships with customers.
- Data Scientist at Kyruus, Boston, MA - Oct 20, 2012.
Kyruus, an early stage healthcare analytics company is looking for Data Scientist I (introverted analytics geek) and Data Scientist II (extroverted analytics geek)
- Researchers in Artificial Intelligence and Big Data Mining at Huawei Noah's Ark Lab, Hong Kong - Oct 27, 2012.
Huawei, a telecommunications giant, opens a new research lab in Hong Kong to focus on Artificial Intelligence and Big Data Mining research
- Asst/Assoc Professor in CSE, Data Mining or Cybersecurity at Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA - Oct 27, 2012.
Outstanding candidates in all areas of CS will be considered, with priority given to candidates with a research focus in either Data Mining or Cybersecurity.
- Postdocs in Data Mining, Machine Learning at KAUST, Saudi Arabia - Oct 21, 2012.
Candidates with experience in one or more of the following research areas are invited to apply: machine learning, data mining, databases, information retrieval and recommender systems.
- PhD Studentships at UBournemouth, Bournemouth, UK - Oct 18, 2012.
Two 3 year, fully funded PhD research studentships for a large EU funded INFER project, pervasively adaptive software systems for the development of an open, modular software platform for predictive modelling applicable in different industries.
- Response Modeling for New Product Promotion Targeting - Oct 30, 2012.
The goal of this contest is develop a model to predict customers likelihood to respond to a new product based on their usage of existing product and present a report.
- Facebook Recruiting Competition, Round 2: Mapping the Internet - Oct 29, 2012.
The Task: given a path which was optimal from node A to B. The question is then to make a probalistic prediction, for each of the 5 test graphs, whether the given path is STILL optimal.
- BioNLP Shared Task 2013 - Text Mining for Biology - Oct 29, 2012.
BioNLP-ST 2013 broadens the scope of the text-mining application domains in biology by introducing new issues on cancer genetics and pathway curation. It also builds on the well-known previous datasets to propose more realistic tasks.
- Data Consulting with Kaggle and Greenplum Chorus platform - Oct 26, 2012.
EMC Greenplum Chorus Data Science platform unites worlds of social and Big Data Analytics, Opens Access to 55,000 Kaggle Data Scientists, Released As Open Source License
- Ideation Challenge: Crowd Support for Arms Control - Oct 20, 2012.
Creative ideas to use commonly available devices to help confirm compliance with treaties or international arrangements addressing weapons and nonproliferation.
- ACM Transactions on Management Information Systems CFP - Oct 26, 2012.
Design science and system-oriented papers are especially welcome, including papers on analytics, data mining, text mining, and/or web mining, particularly within the context of a specific domain, system, or organizational or managerial need.
- New Book: Service-Oriented Distributed Knowledge Discovery - Oct 24, 2012.
The book presents techniques and systems to extract useful knowledge from large volumes of data by exploiting distributed data mining models in service-oriented infrastructures.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 22-28: Big Data Tutorial; Beware! Italian judge convicts 7 scientists for failure to predict - Oct 29, 2012.
Big Data Tutorial - techniques, tools; Beware! Italian judge convicts 7 scientists for failure to predict; Is Palantir on the way to becoming a new Google? Kaggle+Greenplum = Companies needing data scientists, meet lots of analysts
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 18-21: Steve Miller Open Source Analytics: MySQL, PostgreSQL, R; Talented analytics geeks to revolutionize healthcare - Oct 22, 2012.
Steve Miller Open Source Analytics: MySQL, PostgreSQL, R, Octave, Python; Data Scientists, talented analytics geeks, to revolutionize healthcare; My HBR blog: Big Data Hype and Reality - where Big Data will have the biggest impact? Big Data versus Business Intelligence: Two Technologies on a Collision Course
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 15-17: Becoming a data scientist with few courses?; Is it a good model or a bad model? - Oct 18, 2012.
Can you become a good data scientist after taking a few courses? How do you tell if it is a good model or a bad model? Data Mining Cartoon: Twitter, Facebook, and Predicting Elections; What is the skill set for the "Sexiest" Data Scientist?
- Forrester Wave: Customer Analytics Solutions, Q4 2012 - Oct 30, 2012.
Leaders include SAS, IBM, Pitney Bowes, and KXEN. KXEN InfiniteInsight receives top score among all vendors for Customer References.
- Study: Big Data Analytics Taking Too Long - Oct 29, 2012.
Companies stall in data preparation phase because traditional methods do not show context of interrelationships between data
- Strata Big Data Winners - Oct 27, 2012.
Gil Press reviews the winners from Strata Conference Startup Showcase
- Strategic Big Data, Actionable Analytics on Gartner Top 10 Tech Trends for 2013 - Oct 27, 2012.
Gartner defines a strategic technology as one with the potential for significant impact on the enterprise. Gartner list of Top 10 strategic technology trends for 2013 includes Mobile Devices Battles, Personal Cloud, Internet of Things, Big Data, and Actionable Analytics.
- Data Mining and Data Collection Industry Public Relation Campaign ( comments) - Oct 17, 2012.
DMA has created the Data-Driven Marketing Institute (DDMI) to engage the entire marketing industry in a coordinated campaign to set the record straight about the how data-driven marketing benefits consumers (and also prevent regulation of the consumer data-mining industry).
- Splice SQL Engine(tm) for Big Data Apps - Oct 17, 2012.
"The NoSQL community threw out the baby with the bath water. They got it right with flexible schemas and distributed, auto-sharded architectures, but it was a mistake to discard SQL", says Monte Zweben. The Splice SQL Engine enables companies to get the cost-effective scalability, flexibility and availability their Big Data
CFP - Calls for Papers
How many superstorms like Sandy are needed to convince some politicians that global warming is real?