KDnuggets™ News 13:n04, Feb 20
Features (6) | Software (5) | Courses, Events (2) | Jobs (2) | Academic (1) | Publications (3) | Tweets (2) | NewsBriefs (3) | CFP (12) | Quote
- Analytics Education Boom - Trends and Overview - Feb 18, 2013.
We review the state of Data analytics, Data Mining, and Data Science education in the USA and online. The US Education MS Analytics Degree boom started in 2012, but how will it compete with free online education?
- Analytics Education in the Era of Big Data - Feb 19, 2013.
An overview of Analytics, Data Mining, and Data Science education in the era of Big Data - slideshare presentation
- Big Data Journal Inaugural Issue Launched - Feb 14, 2013.
Led by Editor-in-Chief, Edd Dumbill, program chair for the Strata conference, the Journal will address the complicated questions surrounding the powerful and growing field of data discovery. The free access inaugural issue includes premium content from leading experts in the field.
- PASS Business Analytics Conference, Chicago, April 10-12 - Feb 14, 2013.
Passionate about the power of data to transform business? Attend PASS Business Analytics Conference and immerse yourself in the world of data-driven insights with over 60 sessions by top Microsoft and industry experts. Special KDnuggets offer.
- PAW San Francisco 2013 Features Speakers from Leading Companies - Feb 19, 2013.
Predictive Analytics World is returning to San Francisco, April 14-19, 2013. This year's agenda is packed with sessions by industry luminaries from top performing companies. Early bird rate until Feb 22 and special KDnuggets discount!
- Top news for Feb 10-16: Data Scientist Valentine Day Adjustment; New Poll: Analytics/DM Salary? Big Data Journal - Feb 17, 2013.
Data Scientist Valentine's Day Adjustment; New Poll: Analytics/DM Salary?; Big Data Journal Inaugural Issue
Top jobs: Research Staff at NEC Labs; Data Analytics, Optimization at ExxonMobil
- Lavastorm Desktop Public and 2013 Analytic Survey - Feb 19, 2013.
Download your free copy of Lavastorm Desktop Public, free self-service analytics software, and take part in 2013 Analytic Survey to research analytic trends and best practices and you can win the iPad mini.
- Introduction to R for Data Mining - Feb 18, 2013.
This on-demand webinar shows how to become immediately productive in R, and covers point-and-click data mining GUI rattle, command line data mining, and Big data mining with RevoScaleR
- Oracle Data Miner Test-Drive - Feb 15, 2013.
You can try Oracle Data Miner for free via virtual servers on Amazon Cloud, thanks to Vlamis Software Solutions.
- OdinText Named Key Challenger in Text Analytics Space - Feb 13, 2013.
Anderson Analytics' OdinText was named as a key challenger to competitors IBM, SAS, Clarabridge and Attensity last week in both the 'Go to Market Strength' and 'Customer Experience Strength' Quadrants of the 2013 Text Analytics Victory Index Report.
- Data Science Toolkit API - Feb 13, 2013.
- SLDM Statistical Learning and Data Mining III, Palo Alto, Mar 14-15 - Feb 13, 2013.
This two-day course, taught by top Stanford professors and leading statisticians Trevor Hastie and Robert Tibshirani, presents 10 hot ideas for learning from data, and gives a detailed overview of statistical models for data mining, inference and prediction.
- Free, Upcoming online courses: Data Analysis, R, Statistics, Machine Learning, Analytics - Feb 19, 2013.
Upcoming and on-demand free online courses and education in Analytics, Machine Learning, Statistics, R, and Python, from Coursera, edX, Udacity and other sources.
- Data Mining Scientist at Apple, Austin, TX - Feb 16, 2013.
Apple Data Mining Lab is looking for an outstanding data mining scientist to work with business managers to design, develop, and field data mining solutions that have direct and measurable impact to Apple.
- Data Scientist at Intel, Folsom and Santa Clara, CA; Hillsboro, OR; Champaign, IL - Feb 14, 2013.
Pathfinding and developing data analytics product and tools scalable to 100M users; be responsible for design, productization, and analysis as a lead member of our team.
- Postdocs in machine learning and related areas at Aalto University and U. of Helsinki (COIN), Helsinki, Finland - Feb 13, 2013.
Several postdoc positions in machine learning and probabilistic modeling, constraints and optimization, intelligent multimodal information access, and computational molecular biology and medicine at Aalto and U. of Helsinki. Apply by Feb 28, 2013.
- Open Source Business Intelligence: Ready to Play in the Big Leagues - Feb 19, 2013.
Based on a Ventana Research survey, this report identifies key issues, opportunities and risks involved in deploying open source Business Intelligence (BI).
- Aberdeen Report: Data Management for BI: Getting Accurate Decisions from Big Data - Feb 15, 2013.
Aberdeen research into Data Management has uncovered the Best-in-Class practices for delivering fast, reliable information to decision-makers. Get your report - free until Feb 28.
- What Analytic Software are People Discussing? - Feb 15, 2013.
Robert Muenchen compares R, SAS, SPSS, and Stata popularity across internet discussion forums, email, LinkedIn, Quora, and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 15-17: Finding outliers in numerical data - useful methods; Apple: Data Mining Scientist, and more - Feb 18, 2013.
Finding outliers in numerical data - useful methods; Apple: Data Mining Scientist; Basketball nerds rejoice: NBA released stats for every game since 1946; Data Science: Explore. Hypothesize. Test. Repeat.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 11-14: 5 graphical/visualization best practices; Data Science Toolkit API; and more - Feb 15, 2013.
5 graphical/visualization best practices every Data Scientist should know; Data Science Toolkit API, w. data sets and useful open-source tools; Big Data & Analytics startups to bet your career on; What tools do Kaggle competitors use for analytics/data mining tasks and to solve problems
- Gartner: Analytics Moves To The Core - Feb 16, 2013.
A report from GartnerBI EMEA conference highlights the shift from application-oriented to analytics-oriented businesses, with analytics infrastructure at the core of the system. Applications come and go; information is permanent.
- Microsoft, Big Data Pick Oscar Winners - Feb 16, 2013.
Ahead of 85 Academy awards, two studies have already picked the winners, including Argo for Best picture and Daniel-Day Lewis for Best Actor.
- FastCompany Top 10 Most Innovative Big Data Companies - Feb 14, 2013.
The most innovative Big Data companies in the world, according to FastCompany.
CFP - Calls for Papers
- TAW Boston: Text Analytics World, Boston, due Feb 28
- DMC 2013: DATA MINING CUP 2013, prudsys User Days , due Mar 1
- PAW GOV: PAW Government, due Mar 15
- PAW Berlin: Predictive Analytics World - Berlin, due Mar 31
- IEEE ICDM '13-W: The 13th IEEE Int. Conference on Data Mining - workshop proposals, due Apr 2
- PAW Boston: Predictive Analytics World, Boston, due Apr 4
- IEEE BD-W: IEEE Big Data - Workshop Proposals, due Apr 5
- BioVis: Symposium on Biological Data Visualization, due Apr 30
- PAW London: Predictive Analytics World - London, due May 31
- IEEE BD: 2013 IEEE International Conference on Big Data, due Jun 1
- IEEE ICDM '13: The 13th IEEE Int. Conference on Data Mining, due Jun 21
- IEEE ICDM '13-T: The 13th IEEE Int. Conference on Data Mining - Demo and Tutorial proposals, due Aug 3
"If I had only one hour to save the world, I would spend fifty-five minutes defining the problem, and only five minutes finding the solution."
Albert Einstein, thanks to Siddharth Deekshit @s_deekshit