Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro, Ph.D.,
is widely recognized as one of the leaders in the field of data mining and knowledge discovery. He is the founder of KDD - Knowledge Discovery Conferences,
a co-founder and past Chair (2005-2009) of
ACM SIGKDD, (professional association on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining), and
Editor of KDnuggets.com
and KDnuggets News.
He has extensive experience in successfully applying data mining and business analytics to e-commerce, banking, telecom, biomedical, pharma, and other fields. Gregory worked with companies in US, Europe, and Latin America. Gregory also served as an expert witness in several cases and testified in a federal court.
Here are some recent projects in
Biomedical and Pharma, and
expert witness work.
- Developed a system for finding likely unlicensed / fraudulent use for a major software vendor
- Developed predictive models for conversion from trial version to purchase
- Evaluated existing product quality metrics; identified shortcomings and proposed new quality metrics
- Analyzed usage logs to develop user/persona clustering for a major software vendor; was applied to most products and and helped guide product positioning.
- Performed a product stability analysis and identified commands, modules, and environment elements that have increased risk of instability
- Analyzed usage of similar products to determine the effective command "boundary" that separates the products
- Developed test suites and algorithms for an on-line recommendation systems for a mid-size e-tailer
- Analyzed call patterns and found cost-savings and recommendations opportunities for a large telco services company.
- Used data mining for fraud detection in on-line auctions
- Analyzed user command logs, patterns, and crash hotspots for a leading CAD company.
- Analyzed web usage logs for a large web publisher to improve visitor conversion.
- Developed a mini-course on web mining and web log analysis.
- Developed link analysis and customer grouping algorithm for a telephone company.
- Participated as an invited expert in Shell workshop on technology impact in 2025.
- Developed non-payment and attrition models for child support for a state agency.
- Presented a clinic on Data Mining Methods to a major global bank.
- Audited data use in ecommerce company and identifying new business opportunities.
- Developed value-attrition and optimized cross-sell models for a global financial institution.
- Developed attrition models for credit products for a major US bank.
- Analyzed e-tail operations and identifying cross-sell opportunities and shopping cart abandonment.
- Created mortgage default models for a major Latin American bank.
- Analyzed reserve needs for a major car lease financing company.
- Analyzed interest rate sensitivity for a major insurance company.
- Performed retail customer segmentation and Cross-sell modeling for a major European bank.
- Developed customer attrition models for a GTE Wireless (now part of Verizon)
Expert Witness work
- Examined a collection of business intelligence related patents and identified companies that potentially infringe on these patents.
- Served as an expert witness in a case involving search engine advertising
Served as an expert witness and testified in a federal court in a case involving identifying potentially counterfeit items on online auction site.
- Served as an expert witness in a case involving real-time data mining and analytics.
- Served as an expert witness in a case involving patents on data mining and web mining.
Biomedical, Pharma, and Genomic Applications
Contact Dr. Piatetsky-Shapiro by emailing to gregory at kdnuggets.com.
- Analyzed memory drug effectiveness and relationship between pharmakinetics and pharmadynamics
- Analyzed several proteomic (Mass Spec) datasets for biomarkers of a neurological disease; found a number of novel diagnostics.
- Worked with a large pharmaceutical company to develop a model for predicting drug effectiveness.
- Analyzed DNA microarrays and found a new gene marker for a type of brain tumor.
- Developed Data Mining Templates and Case Studies for Microarray Data Mining;
obtained results which were comparable or better than previously reported.
- Analyzed healthcare data for GTE (now part of Verizon)
See also → Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro homepage