Company: Mozilla Corporation
Location: Mountain View, CA
Mozilla is looking for an Analytics Director to head our metrics team. The team currently consists of 6 engineers and 4 analysts who crunch data coming from roughly 25% of the internet, or more than 400M users. We also analyze over 3 million crash reports per day, perform web analytics and multi-variant testing for Mozilla.com sites that are often ranked in the top 10, and do detailed user behavior analysis via test pilot (testpilot.mozillalabs.com). You would head up the group's efforts to produce studies and make recommendations that both guide the development of our products and services and shed light on internet behavior more generally.
More specifically, the Analytics Director interfaces with our different business groups to assess their metrics needs and direct the use of our data sources to answer meaningful questions. As a public benefit organization, our product decisions are guided by what users want and what users do, rather than by a for-profit business model, so developing insights into behavior and always doing what is best for users is absolutely vital.
We are an open organization and strive to share our practices, results, and insights with the larger metrics community. We want to work with the public, whenever possible, to make the internet better. As part of that mission, we are also committed to ensuring user privacy - not only in our Analytics efforts, but also through the promotion of data privacy throughout the web and the empowerment of our users to decide for themselves how they will interact with the sites they visit and the web applications they use.
The position is based at our Mountain View headquarters and reports directly to the VP of Engineering Operations.
Key characteristics of the competitive candidate:
- Ability and drive to conceive and execute a strategic vision for the analytics function within Mozilla and to evangelize analytics throughout the organization
- Ability to collaborate with other executives and business units in an instructive rather than merely consultative capacity, that is, the Director provides insights into what questions should be asked, what questions can be answered by Analytics, and finally what can be done to affect the results in the desired way
- Strong leadership experience, ideally having managed both analysts and engineers
- Business acumen, statistical knowledge, and a quantitative-analytical mindset
- Familiarity with relevant BI tools and techniques: hadoop, hbase, pentaho, and Map Reduce on the engineering side; R, Big Data, and modeling on the analytics side.
Please apply through our careers page: http://goo.gl/l490