Company: Microsoft Bing
Location: Bellevue, WA
The Data Mining team inside the Infrastructure group of Bing is hiring an extremely talented, highly motivated and productive Principal SDE. You will lead the architecture design and development for our Data Platform and Data API. Data is critical to the success of modern online services, and our techniques and systems are the key part of the data foundation of Bing and OSD (Online Service Division). Our data is used heavily by many feature teams for their development and measurement, including search relevance, index, user experience, and ads. One of our main challenges is to effectively and efficiently process very large scale data which changes frequently, make the processed data available fast, discover information quickly, and put it into action. We develop advanced and practical techniques to make this happen. You will play a critical role in solving these problems with your strong leadership, development and analysis skills.
You will be part of a very strong and fun team, conducting development, analysis, and experiments, building very large scale data infrastructure, developing advanced and practical data mining, machine learning, statistics, and measurement techniques for solving the hottest and most challenging problems in the world and generating real impact. Here, you have the right environment and strong support to drive your favorite features to solution. You are empowered to influence millions of end users while impacting the Microsoft Online business. You will have opportunities to work together with world class developers and researchers to stay in the forefront of advancing technologies, such as very large scale data mining, data processing platform, cloud computing, search, ads, and social networks.
Job Responsibilities include:
- Architectural design and development of a very large scale and high quality data platform with easy to use APIs. This covers all kinds of web usage data.
- Make the data platform highly efficient in term of both its execution and the consumption of the data it generates.
- Guide the team on developing the data platform for high stability, fast development, low development cost, and low maintenance cost.
- Set the vision in these areas.
- Understand our data and how it gets used by our users. Use this understanding to drive the data platform design, drive data instrumentation design improvements, and educate users for proper and effective data consumption.
- Work very closely with the COSMOS team to deeply understand cloud computing techniques. Use this understanding to guide data platform design and development. Provide feature requirements to the COSMOS team based on Data Mining development needs.
- Act as an expert in the areas of large scale platform architecture and development.
- Provide technical leadership to other team members.
- Help to build and grow talent in these areas.
- Strong expertise and experience on large scale platform design and development with a track record of shipping multiple releases.
- Extensive software design and development skills/experience (minimum 8 years, preferred: 12 years)
- Expert knowledge in .NET, C#, C++, SQL, and Windows
- Deep understanding of efficient data structures and algorithms
- Excellent analytical skills
- Ability to drive sound architecture, design, and implementation through hands-on development
- Ability to drive technical investigations and prototyping in a fast-paced startup environment
- Database expertise and online service are strong plusses
- Experience with test driven software design/development is a plus.
- Strong theory/algorithm background and very good understanding on how to apply advanced knowledge to solve real problems.
- Superior communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Bachelor degree in computer science is required. Master degree or PhD in related areas is a plus.
- Passionate, self-motivated.
In order to be considered for this position, you must
apply online via our career site.
If you have questions about this position, please contact me at email@example.com. Resumes received via email cannot be considered until you formally apply online.