The Intent Media platform processes millions of ad events a day. We use this data to drive optimization engines, manage advertiser budgets, create analytics reports, and forecast behavior.
Company: Intent Media
Location: New York, NY
Intent Media (www.intentmedia.com) helps retail sites monetize the +97% of visitors who leave without buying anything. Our platform processes millions of log records a day generated by our super premium-advertising placement across the Internets leading e-commerce brands. We use this data to drive optimization engines, manage advertiser budgets, and create aggregated analytics reports supporting our publishers, advertisers, and internal business processes. This is a significant engineering problem in terms of the amounts of data and the processing involved, but moreover it supports answers to a larger business problem of how e-commerce companies optimize the balance of transaction and media revenues on their sites.
Our company is built on data, and our data scientists have
four primary responsibilities:
As Chief Data Scientist, you will be a member of the leadership team, reporting directly to the CTO.
- Visualizing and reporting to make data accessible to our internal teams, our partners, and our customers
- Forecasting future behavior through modeling. We have large amounts of rich data that we use to predict performance of our partners' sites.
- Measuring and interpreting data to provide deeper insights to our teams. When is a result significant, or when is it simply a random walk?
- Bringing quantitative judgment to business discussions, and providing new ideas for how we turn our data and our capabilities into new opportunities for our business.
You will be responsible for:
- Developing and testing hypotheses across all functional areas at Intent Media
- Researching and applying multidisciplinary techniques, findings and approaches to Intent Media problems
- Designing, implementing and analyzing algorithms which substantially impact multiple Intent Media products
- Leading development of prototypes and guiding solutions into production
- Establishing Intent Media's strategic research roadmap
- Serving as a primary person to consult on complex issues, contributing key ideas
- Growing and leading the research group
- PhD in computer science or related field
- Obsession with data and system improvement, tempered with pragmatic ability to prioritize
- Proven research background, in academic or industrial work, with an emphasis on delivering research that has a critical impact on multiple projects
- Awareness of business objectives and ability to apply this understanding to recommend and implement product development for difficult and complex technical issues
- Comfort working within a modern engineering environment (Linux, system architecture, Java, Python, MySQL, multithreaded programming).
- Ability to script experimental solutions and use off-the-shelf statistical analysis tools
- Ability to quickly prototype experimental solutions and develop robust, maintainable production systems
- Familiarity with Hadoop and related subprojects (MapReduce, Pig, HBase, Mahout, etc.)
- Strong results driven personality, with a high level of enthusiasm, energy and confidence
- Excellent analytical, communication, organizational and presentation skills
- Managerial skills: hire, train and mentor research team
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility and integrity: be able and willing to work hands on, independently or with a small team providing leadership
- Experience working at a growth-stage startup company
Intent Media is a privately held company is based in New York and backed by institutional investments from Redpoint Ventures and Matrix Partners and individual investors including LinkedIn's Reid Hoffman, and Gilt Groupe Inc.'s, Kevin Ryan.
- Industry experience with large scale algorithm challenges in the consumer Internet space
- Experience as a research team lead for teams of at least 3-4 researchers
- Experience building highly scalable and reliable Java applications