Company: Intent Media
Location: New York, NY
Intent Media (www.intentmedia.com) helps retail sites monetize the +97% of visitors who leave without buying anything. Our platform processes millions of log records a day generated by our super premium-advertising placement across the Internets leading e-commerce brands. We use this data to drive optimization engines, manage advertiser budgets, and create aggregated analytics reports supporting our publishers, advertisers, and internal business processes. This is a significant engineering problem in terms of the amounts of data and the processing involved, but moreover it supports answers to a larger business problem of how e-commerce companies optimize the balance of transaction and media revenues on their sites.
Our company is built on data, and our data scientists have four primary responsibilities:
- Visualizing and reporting to make data accessible to our internal teams, our partners, and our customers
- Forecasting future behavior through modeling. We have large amounts of rich data that we use to predict performance of our partners' sites.
- Measuring and interpreting data to provide deeper insights to our teams. When is a result significant, or when is it simply a random walk?
- Bringing quantitative judgment to business discussions, and providing new ideas for how we turn our data and our capabilities into new opportunities for our business.
You will be responsible for:
- Developing and testing hypotheses across all functional areas at Intent Media
- Researching and applying multidisciplinary techniques, findings and approaches to Intent Media problems
- Designing, implementing and analyzing algorithms which substantially impact multiple Intent Media products
- Leading development of prototypes and guiding solutions into production
- Establishing Intent Media's strategic research roadmap
- Serving as a primary person to consult on complex issues, contributing key ideas
- Growing and leading the research group
- PhD in computer science or related field
- Obsession with data and system improvement, tempered with pragmatic ability to prioritize
- Proven research background, in academic or industrial work, with an emphasis on delivering research that has a critical impact on multiple projects
- Awareness of business objectives and ability to apply this understanding to recommend and implement product development for difficult and complex technical issues
- Comfort working within a modern engineering environment (Linux, system architecture, Java, Python, MySQL, multithreaded programming).
- Ability to script experimental solutions and use off-the-shelf statistical analysis tools
- Ability to quickly prototype experimental solutions and develop robust, maintainable production systems
- Familiarity with Hadoop and related subprojects (MapReduce, Pig, HBase, Mahout, etc.)
- Strong results driven personality, with a high level of enthusiasm, energy and confidence
- Excellent analytical, communication, organizational and presentation skills
- Managerial skills: hire, train and mentor research team
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility and integrity: be able and willing to work hands on, independently or with a small team providing leadership
- Experience working at a growth-stage startup company
- Industry experience with large scale algorithm challenges in the consumer Internet space
- Experience as a research team lead for teams of at least 3-4 researchers
- Experience building highly scalable and reliable Java applications