Company: The Travelers
Location: Hartford, CT
Please Apply Online Here
Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
We have an exciting opportunity available in the Research & Development community within Travelers. Commercial Actuarial Strategic Development, dedicated to advanced analytics and predictive modeling for Business Insurance, is looking for a predictive modeling project lead for Middle Markets.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES will include, but are not limited to:
- Direct the strategy and projects, people or innovation streams.
- Supporting the development of research staff members.
- Direct the construction of a variety of statistical analyses including data mining, predictive modeling and/or actuarial techniques.
- Review analyses and provide direction and insight.
- Work within broad limits and authority on complex assignments requiring specialized knowledge in breadth and/or depth in area of expertise which may be on or more of the following:
- Advanced statistical analyses
- Actuarial and/or research methods
- Broad business knowledge
- In-depth Line of Business knowledge
- Broader awareness of enterprise Analytics & Research community Directly manage staff for large complex projects and/or direct complex statistical, operational or technical problems.
- Direct and/or perform a variety of advanced statistical analyses including data mining and actuarial research techniques.
- Identify & creatively use conventional and non-conventional data sources independently.
- Direct multiple complex research projects simultaneously as well as large and complex initiatives.
- Analyze/interpret data, draw business inferences and clearly articulate findings for target audience.
- Direct the construction and present analyses and recommendations to target audience.
- Lead in-depth efforts in applying, validating and implementing predictive models.
- Proactively stay abreast of industry, developments, changing trends and jurisdictional issues.
- Direct industry analysis and benchmarking studies.
- Adjust strategy as appropriate to anticipate, respond to, and manage trends.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with business partners.
- Direct the development of new approaches to business problems.
- Partner with peers across the company to ensure consistency and alignment where appropriate.
- Advanced degree in statistics, mathematics, economics, finance, actuarial science, computer science or equivalent with typically 9+ years of relevant work experience preferred
- or Bachelor's degree with typically 12+ years of relevant work experience.
- Relevant work experience should be in directing and performing research and/or advanced analytic work (e.g. predictive modeling) in the insurance industry.
- Ability to read/revise/review a statistical software program (e.g. R, SAS, SPSS);
- Ability to create or direct the development of advanced programs from scratch.
- Leading the Business: Problem Solving & Decision Making Change Management Influencing, Leadership, Power Risk Taking, Innovation Results Orientation Business Perspective Understanding & Navigating the Organization (Includes Collaboration)
- Strategic Planning Leading Others: Forging Synergy Communicating Effectively Leveraging Differences Building & Mending Relationships Participative Management Leading Employees
- Employee Development Leading Self: Openness to Influence, Flexibility Self Awareness Seeks Opportunities to Learn Leadership Stature Credibility Business Acumen
- Understanding and knowledge of key business knowledge areas (e.g. product, enterprise, industry, claim process and competitors).
- Ability to leverage business knowledge to set strategies and approaches to execution.
- Critical Thinking: Ability to take action in solving problems while exhibiting judgment and a realistic understanding of issues; ability to use reason; review facts, identify inconsistencies and weigh options; ability to make logical and timely decisions that address the right issues.
- Modeling: Ability to develop or direct the development of advanced models and interpret model results.
- Statistics: Understanding of advanced statistics underlying data models; Ability to apply or direct the application of new statistical procedures to work. Demonstrates excellent ability and knowledge of database principles, data profiling, statistics and insurance-related data modeling and can apply this knowledge in the most complex situations. Develops or directs individuals who develop new approaches, methods or policies in the area. Is recognized as an expert, internally and/or externally.
Please Apply Online