Location: Detroit, MI
Information Technology ... Data Operations...Deep Thought...Big Data
Data Scientist - Big Data - Hadoop
Quicken Loans is the No. 1 online mortgage lender in America, closing loans in all 50 states, and the fifth largest residential mortgage lender in the nation. We've been named to Fortune Magazine's "100 Best Companies to Work For" list for the past nine years, ranking as high as No. 2.
The Data Scientist at Quicken Loans will delve into the recesses of large data sets of structured, semi-structured, and unstructured data to discover hidden knowledge about our business and develop methods to leverage that knowledge within our line of business. The successful candidate will combine strengths in mathematics and applied statics, computer science, visualization capabilities, and a healthy sense of exploration and knowledge acquisition.
- Work closely with various teams across the company to identify and solve business challenges utilizing large structured, semi-structured, and unstructured data in a distributed processing environment.
- Develop predictive statistical, behavioral or other models via supervised and unsupervised machine learning, statistical analysis, and other predictive modeling techniques.
- Drive the collection of new data and the refinement of existing data sources.
- Analyze and interpret the results of product experiments.
- Collaborate with the engineering and product teams to develop and support our internal data platform to support ongoing analyses.
- M.S. or Ph.D. in a relevant technical field (e.g. applied mathematics, statistics, physics, computer science, operations research), or 3+ years experience in a relevant role.
- Extensive experience solving analytics problems using quantitative approaches.
- A proven passion for generating insights from data.
- Strong knowledge of statistical methods generally, and particularly in the areas of modeling and business analytics.
- Comfort manipulating and analyzing complex, high-volume, high-dimensionality data from varying sources.
- Ability to communicate complex quantitative analysis in a clear, precise, and actionable manner.
- Fluency with at least one scripting language such as Python, Java, or C/C++.
- Familiarity with relational databases and SQL.
- Expert knowledge of an analysis tool such as R, Matlab, SAS, Weka with the ability to transfer that knowledge to different tools.
- Experience working with large data sets, experience working with distributed computing tools a plus (Map/Reduce, Hadoop, Hive, etc.).