Work with other Groupon teams to design experiments, instrument our systems for appropriate data collection, and transport, transform and store the data to build better, more efficient and user friendly Groupon products.
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Are you passionate about large scale data analysis and modeling? Do you wish you had the opportunity to translate your ideas to practical solutions for some of the most interesting and challenging problems in the internet industry? And most importantly, are you excited to part of a fun, fast paced and growing team with lofty ambitions? We are, and you could be too!
We work with other Groupon teams to design experiments, instrument our systems for appropriate data collection, and transport, transform and store the data from that instrumentation that is analyzed to build better, more efficient and user friendly Groupon products. We are looking for Data Engineers to design and build these processes and systems, and to mine the data to help build more intelligent, more personalized products and user interfaces. You will work closely with product analysts and data scientists in the team as well as with business and product teams.
Typical responsibilities include:
We are looking for someone with:
- Architect and build product instrumentation, data transport and data persistence solutions
- Work backward from analytical or experimental requirements to devise data solutions
- Mine data to prototype models for targeting and personalization
- Collaborate with other engineers, data scientists, and product/business people
- A passion for building smarter products
- Proficiency with distributed computing and large-scale data
- Understanding of targeting and personalization
- Experience with data management systems, both relational and NoSQL (e.g., HBase, Cassandra, MongoDB)
- At least a BS, and preferably an MS or PhD in Computer Science or equivalent
- Expert in at least one compiled language (e.g., Java, C++) and one dynamic scripting language (e.g., Ruby, Python, Perl)
- Proficiency with *NIX development environments
- Experience with cloud-based infrastructure
Groupon is an Equal Opportunity Employer