Scripps: Director, Data Science
Seeking a Director, Data Science, to lead and direct work associated with advanced analytics in the enterprise analytics team, blending the skills of a business thinker with those of a data analyst: asking questions, turning data into knowledge, forming conclusions, and making recommendations.
E.W. Scripps is a company rich in media history focused on the future. We are one of the nation's largest independent TV station owners, and we are working to stay ahead of the ways in which people use technology to find news and information. Our commitment to the future means that discovery is commonplace, the status quo is challenged, iteration and collaboration are the norm and new ideas are welcome. Join a team of top performers and help shape the future of the most strategic and well positioned media company – E. W. Scripps. This position will be located in Cincinnati, OH.
At Scripps, you’ll:
- Have a complete modern analytics software stack at your disposal.
- Need to spin up some VM’s? Done.
- Want unrestricted RDMS space? No problem.
- Hadoop instance? It’s ready.
- Need an API and dashboard to disseminate your results? That’s easy.
- Enjoy a broad scope of responsibility – with projects and questions from every part of the business and new businesses under consideration.
- Know that your work will have an impact on key strategic decisions – changing and shaping the way we do business. This is why we are so selective in our hiring process.
- Work with top talent both inside and outside of the company – from researchers and professors at top universities to leading experts in emerging technology.
- Grow your talent with constant learning – with substantial investments in on-site and hands-on training and eLearning formats used to fill in the gaps.
- Work on projects that are important and interesting to you – with quarterly Innovation Days throughout the year.
- Expand your horizons by attending and giving talks at conferences and professional networking opportunities with senior analytics professionals.
- Become a leading expert in applied analytics for media.
We are looking for someone who knows how to use the latest data analytics tools, will thrive in our fast-paced innovative environment, will deliver results and has the following experience and credentials.
The Director, Data Science leads and directs work associated with advanced analytics in the enterprise analytics team, blending the skills of a business thinker with those of a data analyst: asking questions, turning data into knowledge, forming conclusions, and making recommendations that enable the company to innovate, differentiate itself from its competitors, work smarter, make better decisions, and enhance profitability. This individual will partner with the analytics team, analytics products and services director, business leaders and end users to be a change agent - teasing out the questions that are important to our business, and then using statistical analysis and data mining techniques to inform the answers and communicate conclusions visually and in writing, along with recommendations and next steps. The Director, Data Science will also participate in the creation of and lead measurement initiatives related to the development of new business processes, tools, and products.
- Influence the course of the business as a trusted advisor to business leaders and users, using data and analytics as a basis for better, more informed decision making
- Creation of analytics and measurement roadmaps with a 12-18 month horizon
- Identify, estimate & prioritize data science projects based on project value and strategic objectives
- Evaluate the big picture and solve business problems in addition to focusing on metrics
- Influence business leaders and the direction of the business by effectively communicating and advocating for the opportunities, benefits, and scenarios that can be realized through the application of advanced analytics
- Communicate study conclusions to cross-functional groups
- Use influence to build the skills of others in the company to perform advanced analytics to the best of their capability
- Recruit, train, develop and motivate advanced analytics talent
- Build skills of the analytics team for current and future projects
- Manages, assesses performance, mentors and balance workloads of individuals assigned to manager
- Maintain an active, positive role as a representative for Scripps in the advanced analytics community
- Direct and execute the mining of large amounts of data and perform data analysis to extract useful business insights for a wide range of topics including product development and performance, market dynamics, consumer and audience knowledge, internal operations, and external research
- Initial study design, acquisition of data, prototyping and production roll out
- Ongoing tracking, monitoring, and periodic follow-up studies
- Create models, simulations, and optimization routines
- Develop of data flows and acquisition strategies to facilitate the capture and sharing of data and analytics within the organization
- Support the design and implement of reporting dashboards that track key business metrics and provide actionable insights
- Provide platform oversight, selection and maintenance leadership for the software and other tools used to develop analyses that identify patterns, influences, correlations, relationships, predictive factors, risk factors, and that provide better situational awareness
- Ensure modern features are available for the creation of models, simulations, and optimization routines
- Support the development of Scripps analytics products and services
- Proactively identify tools, techniques, software and talent needed to support current and future products and services – including data acquisition alternatives, identifying new data sources and evaluation (testing) plans for data
- Provide input into product and service roadmaps
- Be a positive force to cultivate a culture that is passionate about developing analytics as a business competency
- Drive accountability for value recognition and business results
- Create and contribute to a quality work environment that motivates team members to perform at their highest levels and positively affects employee and business partner relationships
- Be a publicly visible presence, including creating communications and leading training sessions, advocating for the benefits of analytics in Scripps and the products and services of the analytics team
Education / work experience:
- Masters or PhD in business analytics or related field, or equivalent experience
- 10+ years of experience in solving analytical problems using quantitative approaches (or equivalent)
- Proven success leading, managing or mentoring a team of analytic professionals
- Demonstrated leadership using statistical analysis and research to drive positive change in a business setting
- Brand, product development, marketing, media or advertising agency experience (preferred)
Tools and Methods:
- R, RapidMiner, MySQL, Oracle, Excel, and other tools for data mining using techniques like scenario modeling, pattern detection, A/B testing, nearest neighbor, cluster analysis, sentiment analysis, decision trees, optimization, simulation, regression analysis, utilization of ensembles, and other types of analysis
- Advanced techniques such as Agent Based Modeling, collaborative filtering, propensity matching, etc.
- Data acquisition using SQL and Python from sources like Oracle, Twitter, Google, LinkedIn, and Facebook, and Google Analytics
- Tableau and Excel for data exploration and presentation
- Tools like @RISK for optimization and simulation
Skills and Abilities:
- Clever and curious with a passion for finding insights in data and using quantitative analysis to answer complex questions
- Experience with mapping business drivers to data mining and analysis approaches.
- Strong analytical and data fluency skills
- Driven self-starter with an appetite for new challenges
- Creative problem solver with a common sense and practical solutions orientation; must be passionate about the role analytics plays in improving business performance
- Proven leadership ability and evidence of positively influencing cross-functional teams
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills demonstrating an ability to “tell a story"
- Ability to work with diverse teams (Sales, Research and Developers) to convert product ideas into requirements for analysis
- Understanding of market research or analytics, and its application to broadcast and/or digital media (preferred)
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit; high energy level, sense of urgency, responsive, confident, thorough, not afraid to make decisions
- Strong work ethic; ability to overcome setbacks and enthusiastically persist until ambitious goals are achieved; must be resourceful, creative and innovative
- Results oriented team player that leads by example, holding him or herself accountable for performance, takes ownership, champions efforts with enthusiasm and conviction
The E.W. Scripps Company (NYSE: SSP) serves audiences and businesses through a growing portfolio of television, radio and digital media brands. Scripps is one of the nation’s largest independent TV station owners, with 33 television stations in 24 markets and a reach of nearly one in five U.S. households. It also owns 34 radio stations in eight markets. Scripps also runs an expanding collection of local and national digital journalism and information businesses, including multi-platform satire and humor brand Cracked, podcast industry leader Midroll Media and over-the-top video news service Newsy. Scripps also produces television shows including “The List” and ”The Now,” runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and serves as the long-time steward of the nation’s largest, most successful and longest-running educational program, the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, “Give light and the people will find their own way.” If you are interested in this position, please apply online at www.scripps.com for requisition #12702.
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.