KDnuggetsTM News 03:09, May 12, 2003
(see also KDnuggets Courses page)
- (item1) Poll results: Highest Education Level
- (item2) New Poll: Data mining tools you regularly use?
- (item3) Feds defend data-mining plans before Congress
- (item4) NSF + Science Magazine Visualization Contest: entries due May 31, 2003
- (item5) Funding opportunity at NIH: Models of Infectious Disease Agent Study (MIDAS); DUE DATES 05/19/03 letter of intent, 06/18/03 applications
- (item6) NSF Science of Learning Centers: SUBMISSION DEADLINE 08/05/03
- (item7) Top KDnuggets News Stories in April
(see also KDnuggets Software page)
- (item8) Modeling the Solution Space with Statistical Learning Theory (Free)
- (item9) Online seminar: Data mining in cancer research, May 21 at 11 am CST
- (item10) Unica Free Web Seminar: Accelerate Customer Insight to Boost your Bottom Line, May 29, 11:30 am ET
(see also KDnuggets Publications page)
- (item11) NSF Middleware Initiative: release of software tools -- emerging NSF cyberinfrastructure
- (item12) PROXIMUS software for clustering and discovery in discrete datasets
- (item13) Web Analytics and Business Intelligence at Debenhams, Britain's Favourite Department Store
- (item14) Information Visualization Journal
- (item15) Data Mining Research at University of Reading, UK
(see also KDnuggets Meetings page)
- (item16) SPSS Inc. Announces General Availability of NetGenesis 6.0
- (item17) Automated recommender systems -- are they successful?
- (item18) FDA seeks data-mining tools
- (item19) Qbase selects KXEN to deliver enhanced predictive analytics
- (item20) Analyzing Social Networks or Who Loves Ya, Baby?
- (item21) Intel plans to release Bayesian network software libraries
- (item22) KDD-2003 accepted workshops: Text, Links, Bioinformatics, Multi-relational, Web, Data Cleaning, Fractals, Multimedia, Standards, deadlines in May-June
- (item23) ECML/PKDD workshops, deadline Jun 13
Wal-Mart does tremendous amounts of data mining. Every single item you
buy gets loaded into a data warehouse. They look at buying patterns:
what you buy, when you buy, what time of day you buy.
Chris Gahagan, EMC Corp.'s senior vice president
from Searchstorage column, May 8, 2003.