From: Nicole Hicks
Date: 10 Oct 2007
Subject: Boston, MA: Director of Research, Ideation & Prototyping -- 0702365 at The Hartford
Oversee the introduction,
evaluation, and enhancement of advanced developments in Data-related
processes, practices, analytics, and technologies.
Scope covers both Personal and Commercial lines
Communicate and Influence across organization and with external partners
- Serve as a focal point of expertise for the exploration and evaluation of Industrial and/or Academic state-of-the-art Research developments
- Lead the development of prototypes to demonstrate business implications of external state-of-the-art Industrial and/or Academic Research findings.
- Manage the transition of successful Ideation & Prototyping efforts into the appropriate business segments for deployment and productionalization
- Provide direction of advanced statistical techniques for use on strategic projects that provide substantial business benefit, such as class plan/product development of innovative products
- Inform and influence Product development pricing models, use of new variables, competitive intelligence, growth/retention models, and other modeling efforts with Applied Research
- Manages 5-8 highly technical professionals
- Works regularly with Sr Leadership Teams
- Requires a high level of technical competence (actuarial, quantitative, statistical), technological awareness, and sophisticated business acumen to apply and transform advanced data-centric developments into business implications
Develop and set methodology with regard to research goals.
- Champion the adoption of leading-edge Research developments into our product development efforts
- Contribute to strategic direction of new products that aim to meet long term volume and profit goals of the business units
- Interface with business managers to understand the needs of their business and use Ideation and Prototyping of relevant developments to create innovative solutions that provide a competitive edge
- Participate in peer review process with other areas within ARPD Research and Data
- Coordinate with Pricing, Marketing, Finance, and Information Technology areas to implement and monitor new products.
- Evaluate potential consultants for suitability and during any engagements. Provide scope definition to consultants, track progress, and limit exposure to key ideas.
- Identify growth opportunities that create and deliver PL/CL Product Design and/or Price Plans that can drive significant additional premium and revenue
- Drive our Research strategy and objectives to be positioned to take advantage of leading-edge, state-of-the-art developments
- Drive Ideation and Prototyping, and ARPD to a position of enhancing and contributing to the state-of-the-art
- Expert knowledge of external environment including industry, competitor landscape and related financial services community
- Drive the evaluation and adoption of new data mining and modeling approaches that make most effective, innovative and business-sensible use of all data to assist with development of new product.
- Key ongoing tasks include enhancing business' ability to further knowledge of the underlying costs and the competitiveness of risks
- Develop usable metrics
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, EDUCATION etc:
- Minimum education requirements include BS in quantitative field; Master's Degree or higher in Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Actuarial Science, Quantitative Economics or other similar field preferred; ACAS or FCAS a plus.
- 10+ years management/leadership experience with at least 5 years of demonstrated experience leading technical research agendas/staff in a project-based matrixed environment
- Requires a high level of technical competence (actuarial, quantitative, statistical), technical awareness, and sophisticated business acumen to apply and transform advanced data-centric developments into business implications.
- Strong project management, negotiation and influencing skills essential; must be able to successfully drive change and influence behavior.
- Exceptional verbal/written communication skills; Must be able to communicate effectively at senior levels across P&C
- Requires sophisticated business acumen in order to successfully translate complex technical topics into business solutions and strategies; Knowledge of The Hartford's formal and informal structures, business processes, and data sources is essential
- Strong strategic thinking and analytical capability