- KDnuggets Milestone: 200,000 unique visitors - Oct 8, 2015.
KDnuggets passes an important milestone - 200,000 unique visitors. How did we do it?
- 90+ Active Blogs on Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science, Machine Learning - Oct 8, 2015.
Stay on top of your data science skills game! Here's a list of 90+ active blogs on Big Data, Data Science, Data Mining, Machine Learning, and Artificial intelligence.
- Top stories in September: 60+ Free Books on Big Data, Data Science; The one language a Data Scientist must master - Oct 8, 2015.
60+ Free Books on Big Data, Data Science, Data Mining, Machine Learning; The one language a Data Scientist must master; Top 20 Data Science MOOCs; 30 best Harvard Business Review articles on Big Data.
- Data Science Education: Where It Needs To Begin - Oct 8, 2015.
Most data science education centers on graduate degrees, with only 14 US undergraduate analytics degrees in 2014. With the vast amounts of data being generated, should there be more data science education at the undergraduate level?
- The Data Science for Internet of Things – practitioner course - Oct 8, 2015.
The Data Science for IoT is the world first course that helps you to become a Data Scientist for the Internet Of Things. Starts Nov 10 in London, UK or online.
- Online course: Credit Risk Modeling - Oct 7, 2015.
The course covers basic and advanced modeling, including stress testing Probability of Default (PD), Loss Given Default (LGD ) and Exposure At Default (EAD) models.
- Recurrent Neural Networks Tutorial, Introduction - Oct 7, 2015.
Recurrent Neural Networks (RNNs) are popular models that have shown great promise in NLP and many other Machine Learning tasks. Here is a much-needed guide to key RNN models and a few brilliant research papers.
- How big data can help in home health care? - Oct 7, 2015.
Proper home care services can reduce both the chances and the cost of hospitalization and manage illness. Understand what big data promises for the healthcare sector and what are practical hurdles standing between the current solutions.
- KDnuggets™ News 15:n32, Oct 7: Top 5 arXiv Deep Learning Papers, Explained; Best HBR articles on Analytics, Big Data - Oct 7, 2015.
Top 5 arXiv Deep Learning Papers, Explained; 30 best Harvard Business Review articles on Analytics, Big Data; Crushed it! Landing a data science job; Data science job market - what it's like.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Sep 29 – Oct 5: Top 5 arXiv Deep Learning Papers, Explained - Oct 6, 2015.
Crushed it! Useful advice for landing a data science job; Top 5 arXiv Deep Learning Papers, Explained; 30 best HBR articles; Researcher who broke Netflix Prize to find if data is truly anonymized w. grant from Google.
- Predictive Analytics World returns to London on 28-29 October - Oct 6, 2015.
Predictive Analytics World is the leading cross-vendor event for predictive analytics professionals, managers, and practitioners, with concrete examples of deployed predictive analytics and case studies, expertise, and resources for bigger wins and broader capabilities.
- 75+ upcoming October – May Meetings in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science - Oct 6, 2015.
Coming soon: PAW Government, Rich Data Summit, Polyanalyst User Conf, PAW London, Crunch Budapest, IEEE Big Data, Big Data Techcon Chicago, EARL Boston, PAW Berlin, and many more.
- 5 steps to actually learn data science - Oct 6, 2015.
Data science is a broad and varied field, and hence the path to becoming a unicorn is full of darkness. To light up your path and guide you to become one, here are 5 simple steps to be followed.
- Self-Paced E-learning course: Advanced Analytics in a Big Data World - Oct 6, 2015.
The course covers the entire analytics process, from data preprocessing to advanced modeling, including ensemble methods (bagging, boosting, random forests), neural networks, SVMs, Bayesian networks, social networks, monitoring and more.
- OpenText Data Digest Oct 2: Traffic and Public Transit - Oct 6, 2015.
Despite constant congestion, data scientists are always coming up with ways to analyze traffic patterns to ensure you get to your desk by 9 a.m. Whether your transportation is trains or cars, we’ve got you covered, this week.
- Top /r/MachineLearning Posts, September: Implement a neural network from scratch in C++ - Oct 6, 2015.
Neural network in C++ for beginners, Chinese character handwriting recognition beats humans, a handy machine learning algorithm cheat sheet, neural nets versus functional programming, and a neural nets paper repository.
- Easier Data Prep and Analysis for Data Scientists, Oct 20 Webinar - Oct 6, 2015.
Rapid Insight will show tools that make the data preparation and analysis process significantly faster, without losing the flexibility of advanced programming or SQL tools.
- Xerox Research Centre India: Research Scientist/Engineer: Speech and Signal Processing - Oct 5, 2015.
Speech group main goal is to enable Human-Computer-Smartphone interactions to be speech enabled in our day-to-day and professional lives.
- Xerox Research Centre India: Research Scientist/Engineer: Text and Graph Analytics - Oct 5, 2015.
The team is working on challenging research problems with real life relevance pertaining to different business verticals such as Customer Care, Social Media, Healthcare, Transportation and Education.
- Xerox Research Centre India: Research Scientist/Engineer: Process Mining and/or Business Process Management - Oct 5, 2015.
Seeking researchers/engineers with strong technical expertise in the area of Business Process Modeling, Mining, Analysis and Optimization, to participate in exciting research and technology development projects.
- Xerox Research Centre India: Research Scientist/Engineer: Multimedia Analytics - Oct 5, 2015.
Seeking dynamic and talented researchers for (Senior) Research Scientist/Engineer positions, with expertise in Multimedia analytics including video/image processing, speech/audio/text processing, Machine Learning, and Data Mining.
- U. San Francisco: 2 Asst. Professor Positions in Analytics, Data Science - Oct 5, 2015.
The positions will contribute to the MS program in analytics and also support either computer science (both grad and undergrad) or undergraduate Data Science program.
- INFORMS Courses: Essential Practice Skills, Data Exploration and Visualization, November, Baltimore - Oct 5, 2015.
Two INFORMS courses teach Essential Practice Skills for High-Impact Analytics Projects (Nov 18-19) and Data Exploration & Visualization (Nov 10-11). Both courses are given at Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Oct 6 and beyond - Oct 5, 2015.
Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science - Oct 6 and beyond, Preventing a Big Data Letdown, Compensation of Predictive Analytics Professionals, Predictive Workforce Playbook, Fraud Detection, Optimizing the Data Lake, and more.
- Top stories for Sep 27 – Oct 3: Top 5 arXiv Deep Learning Papers, Explained; 30 best HBR articles on Big Data, Data Science - Oct 4, 2015.
Top 5 arXiv Deep Learning Papers, Explained; 30 Can't miss Harvard Business Review articles on Data Science, Big Data and Analytics; Data Lake vs Data Warehouse: Key Differences.
- HeroX Integra Gold Rush Data Science Challenge - Oct 3, 2015.
The Integra Gold Rush Challenge invites people from around the world, from any background to analyze this data and win prizes totaling CAD $1 million.
- Don’t Let Data Silos and Dark Data Clog Your Data Supply Chain - Oct 3, 2015.
With the rise of the big data, it has been cheaper and easier to accumulate the huge amount of data. But make sure you are getting value out of this data, otherwise it could create a bottleneck and get redundant for the business.
- September Academic Positions in Business Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science, Machine Learning - Oct 2, 2015.
Postdoc at Vanderbilt and Uni. Passau, Research Associates at Aalto and Johannes Gutenberg U, Researchers in Singapore, Faculty at USFCA and Syracuse, and more.
- U. of Iowa: Faculty in Business Analytics, Open Rank (Tenure Track) - Oct 2, 2015.
Areas of interest include but are not limited to data science, data mining, text/web/social media analytics, and data visualization.
- OpenText Data Digest Sep 25: US Maps - Oct 2, 2015.
This week’s Data Driven Digest focuses on three maps of the United States that are distinct more because of the behaviors of the people that live in them than the actual lines that separate them.
- Data science job market – what it’s like - Oct 2, 2015.
Data scientist interviews can be complex and there is no definite recipe for the success. Understand the complications and processes of an interview and what you should be careful about before accepting the offer.
- Disney: Experience Insights Analytics Manager - Oct 2, 2015.
Responsible for delivering information to support strategic decisions with data-driven insights on both new and established Guest experience drivers.
- Disney: Sr. Analytics Consultant - Oct 2, 2015.
The primary focus for this position will be to provide analytical support for the Disney Theatrical Group (DTG) which, in partnership with Management Science & Integration team, pushed the boundaries on analytics for Broadway productions.
- Disney: Managing Consultant - Oct 2, 2015.
Leading a team of analytical professionals in delivering client results for a single business unit.
- Disney: Principal, Decision Science - Oct 1, 2015.
Lead the research, design and innovation of decision science concepts and models and drive translation of that effort into actionable plans for implementations.
- Crushed it! Landing a data science job - Oct 1, 2015.
Data scientist interviews depend on the company and the team, it might look like a software developer’s interview, or statistician’s interview. Here we collected some hot tips to pass along if you’re thinking about a move soon.
- Disney: Media Analytics Integration Consultant - Oct 1, 2015.
Support ABC Consumer Analytics through on-going and ad-hoc data analysis of their digital audience and support the larger ABC Ad Sales Initiatives.
- Top 5 arXiv Deep Learning Papers, Explained - Oct 1, 2015.
Top deep learning papers on arXiv are presented, summarized, and explained with the help of a leading researcher in the field.
- Disney: Senior Data Scientist - Oct 1, 2015.
Develop strategies for how to leverage data to improve WDPR capabilities for delivering integrated, one-to-one Guest experiences at any touch point.
- Disney: Decisioning Development Manager II - Oct 1, 2015.
Responsible for the in-house management of Guest decisioning in WDPR real-time personalization tool; engage the business to frame, structure and prioritize business decisioning needs, and meet those needs through the creation, and coding, of content decisioning logic resulting in tailored recommendations.
- NYU Stern Master of Science in Business Analytics - Oct 1, 2015.
The NYU Stern MS in Business Analytics teaches experienced professionals how to understand the role of evidence-based data in decision-making and to leverage data as a valuable and predictive strategic asset. Upcoming application deadline is Nov 15.
- UPS: Data Analyst - Sep 30, 2015.
Responsible for analyzing existing data and analytics approaches, as well as creating/enhancing data and statistical models to support corporate security initiatives.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Sep 22-28: 8 Great Examples of Complex Data Viz; 2015 Data Science Salary Survey - Sep 30, 2015.
8 Great Examples of Complex #DataViz; @OReillyMedia 2015 #DataScience #Salary Survey - use the model to estimate your salary; The Master #Algorithm - new, excellent book by top #MachineLearning researcher Pedro Domingos.
- 30 Can’t miss Harvard Business Review articles on Data Science, Big Data and Analytics - Sep 30, 2015.
Here are 30 Harvard Business Review (HBR) articles on big data, data science and analytics that provide insights about the latest technology and happenings in the world of data.
- KDnuggets™ News 15:n31, Sep 30: Math for Data Science; How to Learn Machine Learning; The Master Algorithm - Sep 30, 2015.
15 Mathematics MOOCs for Data Science; Are you trying to acquire Machine Learning Skills?; Top 10 Quora Machine Learning Writers and Their Best Advice; The Master Algorithm - new book by top ML researcher.
- What Types of Questions Can Data Science Answer - Sep 29, 2015.
Data science has enabled us to solve complex and diverse problems by using machine learning and statistic algorithms. Here we have enumerated the common applications of supervised, unsupervised and reinforcement learning techniques
- Data Lake vs Data Warehouse: Key Differences - Sep 29, 2015.
We hear lot about the data lakes these days, and many are arguing that a data lake is same as a data warehouse. But in reality, they are both optimized for different purposes, and the goal is to use each one for what they were designed to do.
- BABELNET 3.5, Largest Multilingual Dictionary and Semantic Network - Sep 29, 2015.
BabelNet 3.5 covers 272 languages, and offers an improved user interface, new integrated resources of Wikiquote, VerbNet, Microsoft Terminology, GeoNames, WoNeF and ImageNet, and a very large knowledge base with over 380 million semantic relations.
- Dataiku Data Science Studio, now also runs on Apache Spark - Sep 29, 2015.
Dataiku Data Science Studio version 2.1 has many useful features for Data Scientists, including integration with Apache Spark.
- Topological Analysis and Machine Learning: Friends or Enemies? - Sep 29, 2015.
What is the interaction between Topological Data Analysis and Machine Learning ? A case study shows how TDA decomposition of the data space provides useful features for improving Machine Learning results.
- EPA: Text Mining Specialist - Sep 28, 2015.
Conduct research into the development and application of semantic search and text mining approaches to analyze large collections of documents.
- Purdue Pharma: Manager, Marketing Analytics - Sep 28, 2015.
Responsible for supporting the design, development, implementation and ongoing maintenance/ administration of various managed care and commercial analyses.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Sep 29 and beyond - Sep 28, 2015.
Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science - Sep 29 and beyond, The Future of Data Warehousing, Secrets of Successful Analytics Leaders, and more.
- Interview: Michael Brodie – We Can’t Rely on Machines - Sep 28, 2015.
Michael Brodie, a leading database researcher, is convinced that Big Data has more potential than the hype suggests, but also more risks.
- Workforce Data Science: Does Talent Development Increase Performance Over Time? - Sep 28, 2015.
Large organizations spend millions on training, coaching, mentoring, re-training and competency development programs. Business ROI with these predictive projects is very significant, here we are sharing some of our findings as they may challenge some concepts we hold so closely.
- MOOC: “Process Mining: Data science in Action” repeats in Oct 2015 - Sep 28, 2015.
Due to the large success of the first two runs, this 6 week online course is repeated in October. The course provides data science knowledge that can be applied directly to analyze and improve processes in a variety of domains.
- Data Science of Process Mining – Understanding Complex Processes - Sep 28, 2015.
Process Mining is introduced and explained, including Its benefits for Data Science, and key resources for further exploring Process Mining, including videos, articles, and MOOCs.
- Strata NYC Live Streaming info and Expo Hall Plus passes - Sep 28, 2015.
Watch Strata NYC keynotes live streaming on Sep 30 and Oct 1 here; also last moment info on Expo passes.
- Top stories for Sep 20-26: 15 Mathematics MOOCs for Data Science; Support “Talking Machines” – best podcast on Machine Learning - Sep 27, 2015.
15 Mathematics MOOCs for Data Science; Support "Talking Machines" - the best podcast on Machine Learning, Data Science and AI; Spark SQL for Real Time Analytics - Part Two.
- Machine Learning Course. Learn to build solutions, Delft, Netherlands, 16-20 November - Sep 26, 2015.
This course provides you with practical step-by-step methodology to go beyond theory and learn how to create working Machine Learning solutions.
- Data Science Glossary - Sep 26, 2015.
Data architect shares an extensive data science glossary of terms from statistics , Data Science, and Machine Learning, from algorithm to vector space.
- The Master Algorithm – new book by top Machine Learning researcher Pedro Domingos - Sep 25, 2015.
Wonderfully erudite, humorous, and easy to read, the Master Algorithm by top Machine Learning researcher Pedro Domingos takes you on a journey to visit the 5 tribes of Machine Learning experts and helps you understand what the Master Algorithm can be.
- Blast Analytics & Marketing: Technical Business Analyst - Sep 25, 2015.
Work with Marketing Directors and execs to help them define goals, understand levers, and get meaningful insights from their data; provide accurate analysis of clickstream digital analytics and other data.
- Blizzard: Senior Data Scientist - Sep 25, 2015.
Strong technical background in machine learning, data mining, statistics or a related quantitative field and ability to carry out innovative research and development.
- Harness the Power of Your Data, See Anaconda In Action at Strata NYC - Sep 25, 2015.
Team Anaconda will be at the Strata + Hadoop NYC, Sep 29 - Oct 1. See how Anaconda and other open source Python and R technologies can empower your data analytics with our demos, talks, and more.
- SFBayACM Silicon Valley Data Science Camp 2015 - Sep 24, 2015.
This is a great (almost free = $5) opportunity to learn about Data Science and connect with others. SF Bay ACM annual Data Science Camp combines keynote, optional tutorial, and sessions.
- U. of San Francisco: Tenure Track Professor, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, Data Science - Sep 24, 2015.
We seek well-qualified candidates in applied mathematics or statistics, with a focus on the extraction of knowledge from data, including data science, modeling, applied probability, applied statistics, and machine learning.
- Hadoop Maturity Survey: The Tipping Point - Sep 24, 2015.
AtScale first global Hadoop maturity survey finds Hadoop value greatly increases with nodes deployed; its use for ETL is frequently a transition stage to higher-value Data Science applications.
- Polyanalyst User Conference 2015, Oct 21-22, Bloomington, IN - Sep 24, 2015.
Join us for the 2015 PolyAnalyst User Conference, a two-day technical and cross-functional event discussing the significance and possibilities of data and text analytics.
- UC Berkeley: MS in Data Science Online - Sep 24, 2015.
UC Berkeley offers a Master of Information and Data Science online program which lets you to earn a degree without relocating or putting your career on hold.
- MLconf Industry Impact Student Research Award Sponsored by Google - Sep 23, 2015.
The award is for current PhD students or recent graduates whose research is deemed to be useful for solving the problems currently faced in industry. Nominations due Oct 25, 2015.
- O’Reilly Releases 2015 Data Science Salary Survey - Sep 23, 2015.
OReilly survey reveals the tools that successful data scientists and engineers use and how they relate to their salary. Get your copy of the Salary Survey.
- AspenTech: Data Scientist - Sep 23, 2015.
If you want a shot at greatness, as a member of the data science team, you will develop and investigate hypotheses, structure experiments and build mathematical models to understand data patterns and relationships and prescribe actions and options.
- Opentext Data Driven Digest, Sep 18: Money and Finance - Sep 23, 2015.
Pacific Stock Exchange in San Francisco was created 133 years ago this week to serve businesses that struck rich mining for gold during the California Gold Rush. Nowadays, businesses mine for data hoping to strike it rich, using visualizations like the ones below.
- H2O World 50% off for 24 hours only – Open Source Machine Learning - Sep 23, 2015.
Join machine learning industry leaders, H2O customers, and community in a day of H2O training and two days of talks. 50% OFF valid for 24 hours only.
- Dissecting the Big Data Twitter Community through a Big data Lens - Sep 23, 2015.
Tweeter communities have activities: tweets, retweets, replies, and followers. Retweets graph is a good representation of actual connections in the network, their strengths, as well as the propagation of information through the network.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Sep 15-21: Top Machine Learning researcher Pedro Domingos new book: The Master Algorithm - Sep 23, 2015.
Top Machine Learning researcher Pedro Domingos new book: The Master #Algorithm; #Dilbert brilliant take on Character; SentimentBuilder - Free Online Natural #Language Processing Tool.
- 15 Mathematics MOOCs for Data Science - Sep 23, 2015.
The essential mathematics necessary for Data Science can be acquired with these 15 MOOCs, with a strong emphasis on applied algebra & statistics.
- SlideRule: Data Science Course Mentor (online) - Sep 22, 2015.
Be an expert mentor for SlideRule online, self-paced Data Science workshops where participants learn with the help of a curated curriculum and 1-1 mentor guidance.
- Spark SQL for Real Time Analytics – Part Two - Sep 22, 2015.
Apache Spark is the hottest topic in Big Data. Part 2 of this covers basic concepts of Stream Processing for Real Time Analytics and for the next frontier – Internet of Things (IoT).