- Interview: Kaiser Fung, NYU on Why Statistical Reasoning is more important than Number Crunching - Mar 5, 2015.
We discuss why every individual should care about statistics, inspiration behind the book Numbersense, teaching statistics as liberal arts, Junk Charts blog, advice and more.
- Criteo: Senior Data Scientist, Machine Learning - Mar 5, 2015.
Outstanding machine learning research scientists to contribute to Criteo in driving the future of ad targeting, personalization, content extraction, content matching and other prediction problems.
- 10 Predictive Analytics Influencers You Need to Know - Mar 5, 2015.
A list of Predictive Analytics Influencers based on Twitter activity around “#PredictiveAnalytics” and “Predictive Analytics”: Gregory Piatetsky, Vineet Vashishta, Aki Kakko and more.
- Online Graduate Certificate in Business Analytics from Penn State - Mar 5, 2015.
This new online Graduate Certificate covers the entire life cycle of data and analytics-supportive decision-making and is built around the framework from the Institute for Operations Research and Management Sciences (INFORMS).
- Hurwitz: Cognitive Computing and Big Data Analytics - Mar 5, 2015.
New book from Judith Hurwitz and associates on Cognitive Computing is a comprehensive guide to the subject, providing both the theoretical and practical guidance technologists need.
- Top /r/Machine Learning Posts, February: Automating Tinder, Jurgen Schmidhuber, and Shazam - Mar 5, 2015.
Automating Tinder with Eigenfaces, the elephant in the room of Machine Learning, the Jürgen Schmidhuber AMA, and Shazam's music recognition algorithm make up the top posts in the last month on /r/MachineLearning.
- Top stories in February: 10 things statistics taught about big data; Gartner Analytics MQ: gainers and losers - Mar 5, 2015.
10 things statistics taught us about big data analysis; Data Science's Most Used, Confused, and Abused Jargon; Gartner Analytics MQ: gainers and losers; My Brief Guide to Big Data and Predictive Analytics for non-experts.
- Careers in Data Science and Business Analytics – NYU Seminar, Mar 28 - Mar 4, 2015.
In an upcoming one-day seminar by NYU School of Professional Studies, Kaiser Fung will explain how to shape a career in data science and business analytics. Date: March 28, 2015. Registration: Open.
- Interview: Kaiser Fung, NYU on Why Ignoring Data Integrity is a Recipe for Disaster - Mar 4, 2015.
We discuss different levels of Data Integrity, logical fallacies in Analytics, measures to boost accountability, role for human intelligence in Analytics and relevance of OCCAM framework.
- Upcoming March – August 2015 Meetings in Analytics, Big Data, Mining, Data Science - Mar 4, 2015.
Coming soon: Big Data Paris, TDWI Solution Summit, GigaOM Structure Data, Chief Data Strategy Forum, PAW San Francisco, Text Analytics World SF, Gartner BI and Analytics Summit, and 80+ more meetings/events.
- Top /r/MachineLearning Posts, Feb 22-28: Jurgen Schmidhuber AMA and Machine Learning Done Wrong - Mar 4, 2015.
The Jürgen Schmidhuber AMA begins taking questions, machine learning done wrong, GPUs for deep learning, Google opens its native MapReduce capabilities, and Google publishes its DeepMind paper this week on /r/MachineLearning
- The Elements of Data Analytic Style – checklist - Mar 4, 2015.
Jeff Leek book "Elements of Data Analytic Style" had a rocket launch, thanks to author course on Coursera. The book includes a useful checklist that can guide beginning data analysts or serve for evaluating data analyses.
- Failing Optimally – Data Science’s Measurement Problem - Mar 4, 2015.
Data science has a measurement problem. Simple metrics may not address complex situations. But complex metrics present myriad problems.
- KDnuggets™ News 15:n07, Mar 4: Analytics/Data Science Salaries; Machine Learning Flaws; Strata Highlights - Mar 4, 2015.
Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science salary survey by region and role; Strata + Hadoop World 2015 San Jose - Highlights; All Machine Learning Models Have Flaws; Interview: Ted Dunning, MapR on The Real Meaning of Real-Time in Big Data, and more.
- Interview: Ted Dunning, MapR on Apache Mahout & Technology Landscape in ML - Mar 3, 2015.
We discuss Apache Mahout, its comparison with Spark and H2O, trends, advice, desired qualities in data scientists and more.
- HomeUnion: Sr. Data Scientist - Mar 3, 2015.
Be fearless: include heuristics into a solution; be skeptic: self-scrutinize, able to pivot quickly; be creative: experiment with modeling techniques, invent and test features.
- Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science professionals well compensated - Mar 3, 2015.
US, Canada, and Australian analytics professionals are paid the most, with US/Canada Industry Data Science Managers earning on average $177K, Industry Data Scientists $126K, Academic Researchers $119K, and Data Analysts $86K.
- Chief Data Officer Summit, San Jose, Apr 28-29, 2015 - Mar 3, 2015.
CDO is vital in bridging the gap between the C-suite and the data team. The Chief Data Officer Summit in San Jose on April 28-29 will bring together top data leaders to discuss the growing responsibilities of the CDO. Special KDnuggets discount.
- All Machine Learning Models Have Flaws - Mar 3, 2015.
This classic post examines what is right and wrong with different models of machine learning, including Bayesian learning, Graphical Models, Convex Loss Optimization, Statistical Learning, and more.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Mar 3 and beyond - Mar 2, 2015.
Data Wrangling and the Art of Big Data Discovery, Hadoop - A Solution for Big Data, Fast Data Meets Open Source, Real-Time Data on Hadoop with Apache Kafka, and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 26 – Mar 1: Bayes Theorem explained with Lego; 10 Cool #BigData Cartoons - Mar 2, 2015.
Cute and Educational: Bayes Theorem explained with Lego; 10 Cool #BigData Cartoons #TGIF; #DataMining Indian Recipes finds spices make negative food pairing more powerful; Key Take-Aways from Gartner 2015 MQ for #BI & Analytics Platforms.
- Interview: Ted Dunning, MapR on The Real Meaning of Real-Time in Big Data - Mar 2, 2015.
We discuss major Big Data developments in 2014, real-time processing, interactive queries, streaming systems, batch systems, MapR partnerships and challenges in scaling recommendation engines.
- Strata + Hadoop World 2015 San Jose – Day 1 Highlights - Mar 2, 2015.
Here are the quick takeaways and valuable insights from selected talks at one of the most reputed conferences in Big Data – Strata + Hadoop World 2015, San Jose.
- Top stories for Feb 22-28: Gartner 2015 MQ for Advanced Analytics: gainers and losers; History of Data Science Infographic - Mar 1, 2015.
Gartner 2015 Magic Quadrant for Advanced Analytics Platforms: who gained and who lost; History of Data Science Infographic in 5 strands; Interview: David Kasik, Boeing on Data Analysis vs Data Analytics.
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in February - Mar 1, 2015.
Big Data Paris, Wharton Conf: Successful Applications of Customer Analytics, analytics consulting firms, Georgetown MS in Analytics, MSc in Data Science in France, and more meetings, companies, education, and solutions.
- IEEE ICDM 2015 Call for Data Mining Contest/Competition Proposals, due Mar 29 - Feb 28, 2015.
We invite proposals for the ICDM 2015 Data Mining Contest, which is an integral part of the IEEE ICDM conference and provides an opportunity for teams of scientists and domain experts to compete in order to develop data mining techniques for real-world applications.
- Brandeis Analytics Symposium, Apr 8: Industry Insights into Data and Intelligence - Feb 27, 2015.
The Apr 8 Brandeis Analytics symposium will focus on promoting a discussion of the growing field of analytics and how organizations can leverage big data to make more strategic decisions.
- Strata + Hadoop World 2015 San Jose – report and highlights - Feb 27, 2015.
Highlights of Strata + Hadoop World San Jose, including Apache Spark vs Storm vs Samza for streaming data, Kafka as a universal message bus, what Netflix puts in front of HDFS, Parquet as a basis for ETL and analytics, DJ Patil, Internet of Things, and more.
- Interview: Nicholas Marko, Geisinger on the Skills Needed for Healthcare Analytics - Feb 27, 2015.
We discuss challenges of dealing with healthcare data, trends in healthcare analytics, important skills for data scientists and more.
- The Internet of People: 4 key principles for analyzing personal data - Feb 27, 2015.
The “Internet of People” raises a host of legal and ethical questions about the ownership and use of our personal data. We all have a stake in joining and navigating this increasingly stormy debate. Here are 4 key principles.
- TU/e: Full Professor in Data Mining - Feb 26, 2015.
You have the opportunity to set up your own research group, complementary to 2 existing groups - one focusing on business process management and process mining, and another focusing on web engineering, data mining, and databases.
- Apple: Data Science Engineer - Feb 26, 2015.
Apple Data Science Engineering is building an environment to enable cutting-edge data analysis over Petabytes of data, supporting Apple Analytic Insight team responsible for mitigating fraud, waste and abuse.
- Interview: Nicholas Marko, Geisinger on Building the Analytics Culture for Healthcare - Feb 26, 2015.
We discuss how to establish credibility of data analytics, recommendations for a data-driven culture, analytics challenges in healthcare and more.
- RE.WORK Deep Learning Summit, San Francisco, January – videos, presentations - Feb 26, 2015.
Interesting videos and presentations from January Deep Learning Summit include a Fireside Chat with Andrew Ng and Derrick Harris, presentations by Richard Socher (Founder, MetaMind), Quoc Le (Research Scientist, Google), Greg Corrado (Sr Research Scientist at Google), and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 23-25: Microsoft is building fast, low-power Deep Learning networks; Lucrative tech careers: Data Scientist, Data Engineer - Feb 26, 2015.
5 lucrative tech careers in 2015: Data Scientist ($150K), Data Engineer ($148K); Which SQL on Hadoop? Gartner Poll Still Says "Whatever" But DBMS Providers Gain; 10 Most-Funded #BigData #Startups; DataRPM 8 runs in #Hadoop, uses #MachineLearning to find insights.
- Cardinal Financial: Production Support Analyst (Marketing) - Feb 26, 2015.
Work closely with management team to drive marketing efforts and overcome marketing obstacles. Monitor and adjust volumes, criteria, and flow to production teams.
- Cardinal Financial: Data Science Analyst - Feb 26, 2015.
Apply your expertise in quantitative business analysis, data mining and visualization to see beyond the numbers, develop a deep understanding of the business, translate data into actionable insights.
- PredictionIO: Machine Learning Engineer (Evangelist) - Feb 26, 2015.
Are you passionate about machine learning and open source? Do you have the ability to engage other developers and data scientists? If yes, read on ...
- Simplilearn Big Data, Analytics Online Certification Courses – 50% off for a limited time - Feb 26, 2015.
Get 50% off Simplilearn Big Data & Analytics Online Certification Courses, including a new course - Big Data and Hadoop Administrator. Get a new iPhone5 with Classroom Enrollment - see details.
- IBM Big Data & Analytics Heroes - Feb 26, 2015.
IBM's Big Data & Analytics Heroes include leaders in the field that propel the industry in order to promote thought leadership and progress in Big Data Analytics.
- Interview: Nicholas Marko, Geisinger on the Groundwork for Big Data Success - Feb 25, 2015.
We discuss Big Data & Analytics at Geisinger Health System, CDO challenges, and impact of Big Data on decision making at executive level.
- HomeUnion: Big Data Technical Project Manager - Feb 25, 2015.
Big Data TPM plays a key role in delivering all Big Data related product releases, and is familiar with Big Data technologies and Agile methodologies.
- Beagli: Finding value in your personal data - Feb 25, 2015.
Personal analytics products can help users extract value from their data. This post describes our development of Beagli, a platform for mining and auctioning personal data.
- Amazon: Research Scientist (Risk Modeling) - Feb 25, 2015.
Do you like to innovate and simplify? Join an innovative team of scientists who use machine learning and statistical techniques to keep Amazon the safest and most trusted place to shop online.
- KDnuggets™ News 15:n06, Feb 25: My brief guide to Big Data; Data Scientist 3 wishes; Active Data Mining Blogs - Feb 25, 2015.
My Brief Guide to Big Data; Cartoon: Data Scientist gets 3 wishes for Valentine Day; Active Data Mining, Data Science blogs; Gartner 2015 Magic Quadrant for Advanced Analytics - gainers and losers.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, January: Good list of Machine Learning Resources, Deep Learning, Graphical Models; Sample solutions with R on Azure ML Marketplace - Feb 24, 2015.
Good list of #MachineLearning Resources, #DeepLearning, Graphical Models; Sample #MachineLearning solutions with R on #Azure ML Marketplace #rstats; New book: Data Driven: Creating a Data Culture, by @dpatil, @hmason; Intro to #Python and #IPython for #DataMining.
- PAW San Francisco: Learn Uplift Modeling - Feb 24, 2015.
The analytical method to optimize for influence is uplift modeling (aka persuasion modeling) and its adoption is rapidly growing. Learn it in two sessions and a full-day training workshop at PAW Business, San Francisco, Mar 29 - Apr 2, 2015. KDnuggets discount.
- Big Data TechCon, the HOW-TO conference, Boston, April 26-28 - Feb 24, 2015.
Plan now to attend Big Data TechCon, April 26-28 in Boston, to learn HOW-TO master and analyze Big Data. Learn Hadoop, Spark, Yarn, HBase, R, and Hive from the smartest, hardest-working faculty. Special discount.
- Top /r/MachineLearning Posts, Feb 15-21: The Elephant in the Room of ML Research - Feb 24, 2015.
Problems with deep learning papers, Coursera linear algebra courses, Reddit comment visualizations, deep learning lectures, and genetic algorithm introductions make up the top posts this week on /r/MachineLearning.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Feb 24 and beyond - Feb 23, 2015.
Winning with Big Data Analytics, a Roadmap for Data-Driven Culture, Data Science for Workforce Optimization, Text Mining and Knowledge Graphs in the Cloud, Performance and Scale Options for R with Hadoop, and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 16-22: History of Data Science across 5 strands; Most Popular Coding Languages of 2015 - Feb 23, 2015.
History of #DataScience across 5 strands; Most Popular Coding Languages of 2015: #Python 31% ...; #BigData reveals how information travels: 8 clusters in Europe; New Face Detection Algorithm to revolutionize search: finding faces no longer unique to humans.
- Gartner 2015 Magic Quadrant for Advanced Analytics Platforms: who gained and who lost - Feb 23, 2015.
SAS, IBM, KNIME, and RapidMiner lead in Gartner 2015 Magic Quadrant for Advanced Analytics Platforms. We analyze who gained and who lost versus last year.
- Interview: David Kasik, Boeing on Data Analysis vs Data Analytics - Feb 23, 2015.
We discuss the impact of increasing amount of data on visualization, difference between Data Analysis and Data Analytics, motivation, trends, desired skills and more.
- Statistical Learning and Data Mining III: 10 Hot Ideas for Learning from Data, Mar 19-20, Palo Alto - Feb 23, 2015.
Taught by top Stanford professors and leading statisticians Trevor Hastie and Robert Tibshirani, this course presents 10 hot ideas for learning from data, and gives a detailed overview of statistical models for data mining, inference and prediction.
- Booking: Data Scientist – Machine Learning - Feb 23, 2015.
Work side by side with Developers, Designers and Product Owners to translate terabytes of data into unforgettable holidays for millions of people around the globe. Generous worldwide relocation package.
- Booking: Data Scientist – General - Feb 23, 2015.
You will be working with stakeholders throughout the company to generate understanding, strategy and suggest actions based on data. Open to worldwide candidates - a generous relocation package available.
- Top stories for Feb 15-21: 10 things statistics taught us about big data analysis; History of Data Science in 5 strands - Feb 22, 2015.
My Brief Guide to Big Data and Predictive Analytics for non-experts; 10 things statistics taught us about big data analysis; History of Data Science Infographic in 5 strands; Automatic Statistician and the Profoundly Desired Automation for Data Science.
- Prismatic Interest Graph [API]: Organize and Recommend Content - Feb 20, 2015.
Prismatic Interest Graph API provides a set of tools for automatically analyzing unstructured text and annotating it with a variety of tags that are useful for organizing and recommending content.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 18-19: New Face Detection Algorithm to revolutionize search; How to transition from Excel to R - Feb 20, 2015.
Practical #DataScience in #Python #MachineLearning - nice intro; New Face Detection Algorithm to revolutionize search; Well written: How to Transition from Excel to R; Microsoft launches #Azure #MachineLearning Platform for #BigData, adds Python.
- Megaputer: Data Analysis Consultant - Feb 20, 2015.
Create data analysis and reporting solutions for Megaputer customers with the help of PolyAnalyst(tm) platform: experimental, proof-of-concept, implementation, and production projects. Develop successful long-term relationships with customers.
- Syracuse University: Interdisciplinary Faculty - Feb 20, 2015.
The school hosts 5 research centers, including a new created Center for Computational and Data Sciences, which advances scholarships on computational data analytics.
- Google BigQuery Public Datasets - Feb 20, 2015.
Google BigQuery is not only a fantastic tool to analyze data, but it also has a repository of public data, including GDELT world events database, NYC Taxi rides, GitHub archive, Reddit top posts, and more.
- UWS (U. of Western Sydney): Manager, eResearch - Feb 19, 2015.
Embed eResearch across the research lifecycle as an essential component of research; enhance, develop, promote and support the eResearch capabilities within UWS. Apply by Mar 4.
- Fun and Top! US States in 2 Words using twitteR - Feb 19, 2015.
Combining twitteR package with text mining techniques and visualization tools can produce interesting outputs. Find out which US state is fun and top, and which is good and crazy, according to Twitter.
- Simplilearn Big Data and Analytics Online Courses - Feb 19, 2015.
Be Big Data Ready - get 30% Off Simplilearn Big Data and Analytics Online Courses with code FEB30A, valid till 28 Feb 2015.
- Collective: Data Scientist - Feb 18, 2015.
Work on our first-of-its-kind sales analytics platform, which combines a proprietary, always-learning network with data-backed, predictive applications.
- HP: Master Data Scientist - Feb 18, 2015.
Apply advanced analytics, data mining and statistical techniques to design and develop enterprise analytic solutions which are focused on specific industry solutions for HP clients.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 16-17: Most Popular Coding Languages of 2015; History of Data Science across 5 strands - Feb 18, 2015.
Most Popular Coding Languages of 2015: #Python 31%, Java 20%, C++ 9.8%; History of #DataScience across 5 strands: CS, #Data, #Visualization, Math, Stats; IBM Verse new messaging software will use #Watson to declutter your inbox; Doctors store 1,600 digital #hearts for #BigData study.
- Watch Keynotes Live: Strata + Hadoop World San Jose, Feb 19-20 - Feb 18, 2015.
Watch live on Feb 19 & 20 ! The Strata + Hadoop World, Feb 17-20, San Jose conference is sold-out again, but if you are not there, here is how you can watch the keynotes live on Feb 19 and Feb 20, 2015.
- Big Data, Privacy, and Security – which side are you on? - Feb 18, 2015.
After all the positive promise, the hype, and predictions about Big Data, 2015 started with a debate about privacy and specifically whether or not companies like Google and Facebook should be allowed to encrypt their users data.
- January 2015 Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining Acquisitions and Startups Activity - Feb 17, 2015.
January acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: Microsoft buys Revolution Analytics, Why dunnhumby is worth billions, GraphLab renames to Dato, raises $18M, MongoDB raised $80M, and more.
- History of Data Science Infographic in 5 strands - Feb 17, 2015.
History of Data Science infographic presents key events in Data Science across 5 strands: Computer Science, Data Technology, Visualization, Mathematics/OR, and Statistics.
- Automatic Statistician and the Profoundly Desired Automation for Data Science - Feb 17, 2015.
The Automatic Statistician project by Univ. of Cambridge and MIT is pushing ahead the frontiers of automation for the selection and evaluation of machine learning models. In general, what does automation mean to Data Science?
- Statistics.com courses on RESTful APIs - Feb 17, 2015.
Applying analytics to big data requires a mechanism to rapidly get and share data and RESTful APIs is the standard way doing it. Learn how to write Python code to ingest data, communicate with, and create RESTful APIs with online courses from Statistics.com.
- Tamr Enterprise Platform for Scalable, End-to-End Data Unification - Feb 17, 2015.
The new Tamr Platform radically simplifies and speeds the availability of unified data for analytics and downstream application, with key new features: catalog, connect, and consume. Tamr also announced solutions for Pharma and Procurement.
- Data Mining finds JASBUG, a Critical Security Vulnerability - Feb 17, 2015.
We explain how the critical Microsoft security vulnerability JASBUG that existed for 15 years was detected with similarity search and regular expression inference.
- TEDx RheinMain Datanauts Competition - Feb 17, 2015.
Send your project idea to TEDx RheinMain “Datanauts” Competition. It should fit to one of the following categories: mobility, environment, culture, common Good.
- Top /r/MachineLearning Posts, Feb 8-14: Automating Tinder, Statistics and Machine Learning - Feb 17, 2015.
Automating Tinder with Eigenfaces, statistics lessons in big data analysis, an upcoming AMA, the basics of PCA, and neural network programming in Python are all topics covered in the last week on Reddit.
- Big Data Innovation Summit, San Jose, Apr 28-29, 2015 - Feb 17, 2015.
The Summit will bring 800+ data practitioners for 7 business and technical focused stages, 70+ sessions, keynotes, workshops, panels and countless networking opportunities. Early Bird until Feb 27.
- Bournemouth University: Professor (Associate) in Data Science and Analytics, Data Science Institute - Feb 16, 2015.
The Faculty of Science and Technology seeks an exceptional candidate for a research intensive position at a Professor or Associate Professor level to further our growth and reputation in Data Science.