- Online Master of Science in Data Science - Sep 2, 2014.
Lewis University online MS in Data Science program offers two concentrations: Data Science for Computer Scientists and Data Science for Life Scientists.
- Webcast – Analytically Speaking Featuring Michael J. A. Berry and Gordon S. Linoff - Sep 2, 2014.
Berry and Linoff talk about the current data mining landscape, including new methods, new types of data and the importance of using the right analysis for your problem.
- PAW: Predictive Analytics World London, October - Sep 2, 2014.
See Dr. John Elder in London at the leading Predictive Analytics conference, and get KDnuggets Discount - 15% off full conference passes to Predictive Analytics World London.
- KDD-2014 report, part 2: The Magic Module network and Privacy vs Big Data - Sep 2, 2014.
Here is part 2 of my report on KDD-2014, the biggest and the best Data Science meeting: The Magic Module genes, Privacy vs Big Data, and should we ask for consent of data subjects?
- Ontotext text mining, semantic search, and graph database - Sep 2, 2014.
Ontotext blends text mining, semantic annotation and semantic search with a graph database that infers new meaning at scale, helping organizations find meaning in large volumes of structured and unstructured data.
- Analytical Skills Survey for 2014 - Sep 2, 2014.
Have your voice be heard - participate in the Analytical Skills, Tools and Attitudes Survey 2014, and see the challenges faced by others.
- Age homophily for predicting age of mobile phone customers - Sep 2, 2014.
Homophily (a tendency of people to associate with others like them) is ubiquitous in real world and in social networks. We show the existence of age homophily in a mobile phone communication network and exploit it to predict the age group for all users in the network.
- New Poll: Machine Data Science for Humans or for Machines? - Sep 1, 2014.
Did you do mainly Data Science for Humans (explainable models for a human decision maker), Data Science for Machines (accuracy-oriented black-box models for automated algorithms), or both? Please vote.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Sep 2 and beyond - Sep 1, 2014.
Streaming Analytics, Analytical Lifecycle, Modern Regression Analysis, Hadoop for Machine Learning, NASA Earth Science Data, Strata + Hadoop NYC preview, Ontotext, and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 29-31: Data Analytics vs Predictive Modeling vs …; 100 top machine learning talks - Sep 1, 2014.
Data Analytics vs Predictive Modeling vs Data Mining vs Big Data; 100 most popular machine learning talks at videolectures; Intro to parallel iterative Deep Learning on Hadoop YARN; Jeremy Howard answers why he left Kaggle and what are his plans now.
- Cartoon: Robot Labor Day 2050 - Sep 1, 2014.
Amidst all the discussion about robots and automation taking over human jobs, new KDnuggets cartoon looks at how Labor Day can evolve by 2050.
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in August - Sep 1, 2014.
New analytics, data science, data mining top stories page, meetings, KDD-2015, Certificates and Certification option, Data Analytics BS, software for text analytics and visualization and more.
- ACM Data Science Camp, San Jose, Oct 25 - Aug 31, 2014.
ACM Data Mining Camps, held since 2009, are renamed this year to Data Science Camp to be more inclusive of Big Data & Data Science. Propose or organize sessions and attend this great meeting.
- Top stories for Aug 24-30: 4 main languages for Analytics, Data Mining; Dataiku Data Science Studio - Aug 31, 2014.
Four main languages for Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science; Dataiku Data Science Studio; KDD-2014 - The Biggest, Best, and Booming Data Science Meeting; On the Secret Sauce of Impressive Content Curation.
- KDD-2014 Ice Bucket Challenge - Aug 30, 2014.
KDD-2014 team of Jure Leskovec, Claudia Perlich, Sofus Macskassy, Gregory Piatetsky, and Rayid Ghani responds to the Ice Bucket challenge.
- Scorto Plug and Score Modeler – for easy scorecard development - Aug 30, 2014.
New version of Plug&Score Modeler is an easy-to-use credit scorecard development software designed for credit risk professionals in banks and other financial institutions.
- Symantec: IoT Analytics Engineer – Principal (Data Scientist) - Aug 29, 2014.
A key, hands-on contributor to the development and integration of analytics and machine learning technologies under the Internet of Things (IoT) umbrella.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 27-28: Worst Venn Diagram ever? KDD-2014: Biggest and Best Data Science Meeting - Aug 29, 2014.
Worst Venn Diagram ever?; New Microsoft Azure SQL Database service tiers with reduced pricing; KDD-2014 - The Biggest, Best, and Booming Data Science Meeting; NYTimes on KDD-2014: Looking to the Future of Data Science.
- Resonate: Data Scientist - Aug 29, 2014.
Performing complex data analysis on large datasets to further develop our campaign optimization and targeting algorithms.
- White paper: Making the business case for text analytics - Aug 29, 2014.
Download a free white paper which focuses on the business benefits (and challenges!) of text analytics from the perspectives of 4 experts from slated to speak at the 13th Annual Text Analytics Summit West, Nov 4-5 in San Francisco.
- Microsoft: Principal Data Scientist, Skype - Aug 29, 2014.
Responsible for analyzing call quality for Skype and Lync and driving improvements into the product, to make Skype and Lync have the best audio and video communication experience possible.
- KDD-2014 – The Biggest, Best, and Booming Data Science Meeting - Aug 28, 2014.
KDD-2014 was the largest (with over 2300 people) and the best Data Science meeting, highlighting the huge progress of Data Science made with Big Data, and its even more amazing potential.
- Interview: Debora Donato, StumbleUpon on the Secret Sauce of Impressive Content Curation - Aug 28, 2014.
We discuss the role of data science at StumbleUpon, the shift from search to discovery, metrics for user engagement, the art of collaborative filtering, how native ads improve user experience, major trends, advice and more.
- Kaggle Epilepsy Seizure Prediction Challenge - Aug 28, 2014.
Create a forecasting system for predicting epileptic seizures in this Kaggle challenge to help improve the lives of epilepsy patients and win prizes. Competition ends on November 17.
- PNNL: Post Doctorate RA – Data Sciences and Analytics - Aug 28, 2014.
Do research related to social network analysis, human language technologies, machine learning, infectious disease epidemiology, and data collection and analysis.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 25-26: KDD-2014 organizers (including Gregory) Ice Bucket challenge - Aug 27, 2014.
KDD-2014 organizers, including Gregory, take Ice Bucket challenge; Most important APIs every Data Scientist should know; Best Text Analytics Summit Presentations; Artificial Dataset Generation for Machine Learning.
- Best Text Analytics Summit Presentations - Aug 26, 2014.
Before this year's Text Analytics Summit West, read the previous year's summit's best received presentations and learn about leveraging text analytics for business gain.
- Dataiku Data Science Studio - Aug 26, 2014.
Data Science Studio (DSS) from Dataiku is a complete Data Science software tool for developers and analysts, which significantly shortens the time-consuming load-clean-train-test-deploy cycles of building predictive applications. A community edition and a free trial available.
- Becker College: Founding Director of the Data Science Program - Aug 26, 2014.
Responsibilities include: thought leadership, program development, network development, industry engagement, research, effective classroom teaching, student advising, college service, and professional scholarship.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 22-24: A Day in the Life of a Functional Data Scientist; Keeping up to date - Aug 25, 2014.
A Day in the Life of a Functional Data Scientist; How to keep yourself up to data on Data Science, Data Mining; Automatic Storytelling: How to Build Your Very Own Data Scientist ; Four main languages for Analytics, Data Mining, Data.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Aug 26 and beyond - Aug 25, 2014.
Tableau, Big Companies, Personalized Healthcare, Lavastorm Analytics, Mapping, Data Integration, SiSense, SAS and Cloudera and more.
- Interview: Arpit Gupta, CEO, Actionable Analytics on Enterprise Challenges in Big Data and Cloud - Aug 24, 2014.
We discuss Actionable Analytics start-up, enterprise challenges in Big Data, relationship with cloud computing, metrics vs. insights, Big Data expectations and more.
- Leeds Business Analytics Conference, Sep 18-19, CU Boulder - Aug 24, 2014.
Top names in business analytics come to the Leeds Analytics conference at CU Boulder, creating a unique opportunity to learn practical applications of analytics today and to network with key analytics professionals.
- Apple: Server Software Engineer – Maps Community - Aug 24, 2014.
Help develop the next generation of community services, build the scalable infrastructure that drives crowdsourced improvements to the Apple Maps experience.
- Top stories for Aug 17-23: Four main languages for Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science - Aug 24, 2014.
Four main languages for Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science; Sibyl: Google system for Large Scale Machine Learning; Top Research Leaders in Data Mining; Interview: Pedro Domingos: the Master Algorithm, new type of Deep Learning.
- Flipkart: Data Scientist - Aug 22, 2014.
If you are passionate about Data, looking to impact billion+ people, and have an advanced degree (MS or PhD) in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Statistics, Optimization, NLP or related areas, we would love to talk!
- Pew Research Center: Research Analyst, Internet, Science and Technology - Aug 22, 2014.
Expert in Big Data and non-survey data collection and analysis to support Pew Research on the impact of the internet and other digital technologies on users and society.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 20-21: Deep Learning book and more; Sibyl: Google Large Scale Machine Learning - Aug 22, 2014.
Deep Learning book draft - read and help improve it; Deep Learning - important resources for learning and understanding; Sibyl: Google's system for Large Scale Machine Learning; Excellent Intro to Deep Learning.
- KDD-2014 Awards Winners - Aug 22, 2014.
KDD-2014, the leading and the largest conference in data mining, data science, and knowledge discovery, recognizes the key researchers and contributors through several awards - read about the winners.
- PAW: Don’t Miss Predictive Analytics World for Healthcare - Aug 21, 2014.
PAW Healthcare gathers industry leaders who share case studies and knowledge about predictive analytics making significant impacts in the healthcare industry - KDnuggets readers get a special discount.
- Deep Learning – important resources for learning and understanding - Aug 21, 2014.
New and fundamental resources for learning about Deep Learning - the hottest machine learning method, which is approaching human performance level.
- INFORMS The Business of Big Data 2014: Day 1 Highlights - Aug 21, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Big Data technology practitioners from Teradata, Booz Allen Hamilton, Databricks and ProbabilityManagement.org during INFORMS The Business of Big Data in San Jose.
- company: Sr. Data Analytics Engineer/Scientist – Machine Learning - Aug 21, 2014.
Develop an analytic strategy by creating methodologies, algorithms and prototypes, and showing their value; build statistical models with large datasets to derive meaningful insights that effect actionable decisions.
- Nike: Senior Data Scientist, Integrated Analytics, Global Consumer Knowledge - Aug 21, 2014.
Work across Nike consumer facing businesses to define and implement measurement strategies, instrument and analyze consumer behavior, and inform Nike global strategy.
- Interview: Saikat Mukherjee, ShareThis on Why Marketers can no longer Ignore Social TV? - Aug 20, 2014.
We discuss the role of Analytics at ShareThis, the emergence of Social TV, better user behavior insights through Social TV, major challenges with Social TV analytics, interesting insights, future trends, recommendation and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 18-19: Big Data moves to “Trough of Disillusionment” in Gartner Hype Cycle - Aug 20, 2014.
Big Data moves to "Trough of Disillusionment" in Gartner Hype Cycle; Four main languages for Analytics, Data Mining; Statistics.com Online Courses and Certificate Programs in Data Science; Exploring Hotel Review Data from Trip Advisor with R.
- DataReview interview with me on KDnuggets, Data Mining, and Data Science - Aug 20, 2014.
I have recently given an interview to DataReview, an Ukrainian site, where we talked about KDnuggets origins, history of Data Mining, interesting problems I worked on, and typical problems faced by young data scientists.
- Sibyl: Google’s system for Large Scale Machine Learning - Aug 20, 2014.
A review of 2014 keynote talk about Sibyl, Google system for large scale machine learning. Parallel Boosting algorithm and several design principles are introduced.
- KDnuggets 14:n22, 4 main analytics languages; Top research leaders in Data Mining; Pedro Domingos - Aug 20, 2014.
KDnuggets Analytics, Big Data, Data mining, and Data Science stories, including Features, News, Opinions, Interviews, Webcasts, Courses, Meetings, Jobs, Publications, and Top Tweets.
- Panel Report: A Data Scientist Guide to Startups - Aug 19, 2014.
A detailed report on the KDD-2013 panel with 4 leading data scientists and entrepreneurs - Ron Bekkerman, Oren Etzioni, Usama Fayyad, and Claudia Perlich, discussing the major issues in Big Data and Data Science startups.
- Interview: Pedro Domingos: the Master Algorithm, new type of Deep Learning, great advice for young researchers - Aug 19, 2014.
Top researcher Pedro Domingos on useful maxims for Data Mining, Machine Learning as the Master Algorithm, new type of Deep Learning called sum-product networks, Big Data and startups, and great advice to young researchers.
- Data Analytics Week, Las Vegas, Nov 10-13 – Surprise Keynote Speaker - Aug 19, 2014.
Data Analytics Week, Nov 10-13, 2014 in Las Vegas has confidently departed from the term "big data" because regardless of the size of your data, there is powerful information to unlock. KDnuggets discount.
- ID Analytics: Director, Data Science - Aug 18, 2014.
The Director of Data Science manages a team of data scientists performing complex modeling and algorithmic tasks around large data sets.
- Statistics.com Online Courses and Certificate Programs in Data Science - Aug 18, 2014.
Online courses to accelerate your career or help upgrade the skills of your team members. Learn and get answers from top experts who authored hundreds of books and have real industry.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Aug 19 and beyond - Aug 18, 2014.
Data Mining: Failure To Launch, Smart Metering, Hadoop, Data Science at the Command Line, Personalized Healthcare, Modern Regression Analysis Techniques, and more.
- Four main languages for Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science - Aug 18, 2014.
New KDnuggets Poll shows the growing dominance of four main languages for Analytics, Data Mining, and Data Science: R, SAS, Python, and SQL - used by 91% of data scientists - and decline in popularity of other languages, except for Julia and Scala.
- Interview: John Funge, CTO, Knack on Why Gaming is the Next Big Thing for Hiring - Aug 18, 2014.
We discuss the gamification of hiring, founding story of Knack, applications of Predictive Human Analytics, challenges, Big Data tools and technology used, key qualities sought in data scientists, career advice and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 15-17: Top Research Leaders in Data Mining; Hbase; Job Interview - Aug 18, 2014.
The top 5 Questions a Data Scientist should ask during a job interview; Top Research Leaders in Data Mining, Data Science, and KDD; Least popular jobs for big data practitioners; Graduate Programs in #BigData Analytics and Data Science.
- Starcom: Director, Analytics and Development - Aug 17, 2014.
Provide analytics-based research, insights and direction to aid in the measurement and ultimately development of effective experience planning for our clients.
- Top stories for Aug 10-16: Certificates in Analytics, Data Mining; OpenML: Share, Discover and Do Machine Learning - Aug 17, 2014.
Certificates in Analytics, Data Mining, and Data Science; OpenML: Share, Discover and Do Machine Learning; Top 10 References for applying Big Data and Analytics in Business; Data is not a fad.
- Top Research Leaders in Data Mining, Data Science, and KDD - Aug 16, 2014.
We identify the top researchers in Data Mining, Data Science, and KDD. Jiawei Han, Philip Yu, and Christos Faloutsos remain the leaders, but they are joined by many fast rising young researchers - the leaders of tomorrow.
- Interview: Pedro Domingos, Winner of KDD 2014 Data Mining/Data Science Innovation Award - Aug 15, 2014.
We discuss the differences between Machine Learning, Data Mining, and Statistics; the importance of cost-sensitive classification; social network mining and identifying influencers; mining data streams, and more.
- Interview: Pallas Horwitz, Blue Shell Games on Why Gaming Analytics is Not a Piece of Cake - Aug 15, 2014.
We discuss the challenges of gaming analytics, most desired missing data, current trends, career advice, important soft skills in data science and more.
- Hitachi: Research Scientist - Aug 15, 2014.
Candidates with a Ph.D. or MS degree in machine learning, data mining, statistical modeling, databases or distributed computing, and a passion for taking technology from research to industrial solutions.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 13-14: Boyfriend as a statistically “significant” other - Aug 15, 2014.
xkcd: Boyfriend as a statistically "significant" other; Interesting Social Media Datasets; Sibyl: a System for Large Scale Machine Learning at Google; We don't need such hype: "Big Data scientists get 100 recruiter emails a day".
- Recommendations for Big Data Success for the Long Haul - Aug 15, 2014.
Overcome common big data challenges by identifying the right POC (proof-of-concept) use case for Hadoop and leveraging its success to build executive and stakeholder buy-in.
- IBM Watson’s Next Step: Partnership with Universities - Aug 15, 2014.
Students from ten top tech universities now have access to Watson. For students at New York University interested in Watson, Capstone Project Course would be their first choice.
- Statistical Learning and Data Mining III, Boston, Oct 27-28 - Aug 14, 2014.
Taught by top Stanford professors and leading statisticians Trevor Hastie and Robert Tibshirani, this course presents 10 hot ideas for learning from data, and gives a detailed overview of statistical models for data mining, inference and prediction.
- Interview: Pallas Horwitz, Blue Shell Games on Why Data Science is So Critical for Gaming Studios - Aug 14, 2014.
We discuss the role of data science at Blue Shell Games, the importance of "Lean Data", key metrics for online games, cross-product projects and optimizing meeting the data needs across an organization.
- Experiment: Toward a Thermostatistics for Complex Systems - Aug 14, 2014.
Crowdfunding experiment: a data scientist at Radius.com believes that physics for complex systems and Big Data is just around the corner, and asks you to support his experiment on open-source Complex Thermostatistics.
- Top Analytics and Big Data trends ahead of Strata Hadoop NYC Conference - Aug 14, 2014.
Top trends in Analytics and Big Data named by our readers ahead of Strata + Hadoop NYC conference include Deep Learning, Apache Spark, democratization of analytics, and real-time processing of Big Data.
- Air Liquide: Research Scientist - Aug 14, 2014.
Develop data mining methods and tools that can be used for improving efficiency, reliability, and overall business effectiveness.
- Data is not a fad - Aug 14, 2014.
Learn why Big Data drives the need for companies to adopt data leadership and why Chief Data Officers are likely to join the C-suite in large organizations.
- Data Visualization Summit, Boston, Sep 25-26 - Aug 14, 2014.
Join data visualization experts, visual designers and business executives and learn from 25+ speakers from companies including StubHub, Citi, The Washington Post, USA Today, Boston Globe, Liv Nation, PayPal and more.
- Apple: Sr. Software Engineer, Machine Learning - Aug 13, 2014.
Apply advanced techniques and algorithms to improve an ad network, develop and implement ad algorithms, yield optimization solutions and network data processes, deep understanding of the ad network behavior.
- Chubb: Market Analytics / Predictive Modeling Specialist, Commercial Strategic Marketing - Aug 13, 2014.
Producing meaningful, relevant marketing information and data for Chubb's commercial field and home office stakeholders.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 11-12: The entire global economy in one chart; New heroes of #BigData and Analytics - Aug 13, 2014.
The World Bank sums up the entire global economy in one chart; The new heroes of #BigData and Analytics - Chief Data Officers; Top 10 References for applying Big Data and Analytics in Business; Watch: "Building Recommender Systems" by Netflix Research/Eng Director.
- Interesting Social Media Datasets - Aug 13, 2014.
Learn about some of the many interesting social media datasets available to you, some of which are quite new, and the different features and challenges they offer you for your next big data science project.
- Talent Analytics Projects: “Fishing” vs Solving Business Problems - Aug 13, 2014.
We examine a vague "look for something interesting in the HR data” vs a narrowly focused “business win” effort and show why the second approach is preferable, and what needs to be added to HR data for success.
- KDnuggets 14:n21, Certificates in Analytics, Data Science; Michael Berthold, KNIME; OpenML - Aug 13, 2014.
KDnuggets Analytics, Data mining, and Data Science stories, including Certificates in Analytics, Data Science, online and on-campus; Interview with Michael Berthold, KNIME founder and President; OpenML: Share, Discover and Do Machine Learning, and more.