- Try JMP® free for 30 days - May 4, 2015.
JMP software from SAS gives you dynamic data visualization and analytics on the desktop - speed the learning cycle and make it easier to reach breakthrough discoveries.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 27 – May 3: Attack of the #BigData Startups; Data Science from Scratch: First Principles with Python - May 4, 2015.
DataScience from Scratch: First Principles with Python; Attack of the #BigData Startups - @cbinsights maps the industries; Not accurate, but #fun ! See how old Microsoft thinks you are; US Chief Data Scientist @dpatil on #DataScience #BigData past and future.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – May 5 and beyond - May 4, 2015.
Making Sense of Hadoop, Data Mining - Failure to Launch, Demystify your Data Flows, 5 Lessons from a Decision Management Guru, 3 Ways to Improve Regression, and more.
- Top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science – Discussions up, Engagement down - May 4, 2015.
While discussions are growing, the comments and engagements are falling, especially since 2012. We cluster groups into 4 quadrants by activity level and identify most active and engaged groups. Open groups are twice as active as closed.
- 80 upcoming May – November 2015 Meetings in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science - May 4, 2015.
Coming soon: Big Data Innovation London, Business Analytics Chicago, Smartcon Istanbul, Open Data Science Boston, PAW Chicago, ICML Lille, Sentiment Analysis NYC, and many more.
- Guiding Principles to Build a Demand Forecast - May 4, 2015.
Demand forecasting is key for many industries, including finance, healthcare, and retails, and it is one of the most challenging tasks for predictive analytics. We review challenges and guiding principles of demand forecasting.
- Hillary for America: Data Scientist, Modeling Analyst, and Survey Methodologist - May 4, 2015.
Join Hillary for America and play a pivotal role in developing data-driven strategies for key primary and battleground states for 2016 US Presidential election.
- Strata + Hadoop World 2015, London, May 5-7, Watch Live - May 4, 2015.
As Strata media partner, KDnuggets brings to you this opportunity to watch keynotes from Strata + Hadoop London live, May 5-7. Check the details inside.
- NoSQL matters, great fun and tech nerdity, Dublin, June 4 - May 4, 2015.
NoSQL matters provides a opportunity to network with leading NoSQL experts from all around the world. Also, enter a raffle for a KDnuggets free ticket.
- ACI Worldwide: Data Scientist - May 3, 2015.
Develop predictive models for clients in the finance, retail and telecommunications industries, and takes responsibility for the final outcome/results of the deliverables.
- NYC Data Science Academy 12 weeks Bootcamp, Apply by May 15 - May 3, 2015.
Upcoming NYC Data Science Academy education includes a 12-week bootcamp, classes on Intro to Data Science, and Data Analysis with R and with Python, meetups, and job placement assistance.
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in April - May 3, 2015.
20+ new meetings, including Smartcon (Istabul), Collab. Data Science, Boston Data Festival, SIGMOD 2016, ICDM 2016; Awesome public datasets; DecisionIQ, VisualText and more.
- Top stories for Apr 26 – May 2: The Myth of Model Interpretability; How To Become a Data Scientist and Get Hired - May 3, 2015.
The Myth of Model Interpretability; How To Become a Data Scientist And Get Hired; Top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining; Emmanuel Letouze, Data-Pop Alliance on Big Data for Development and Future Prospects.
- Talking Machine – Deep Learning in Speech Recognition - May 2, 2015.
A summary about an episode on the talking machine about deep neural networks in speech recognition given by George Dahl, who is one of Geoffrey Hinton’s students and just defended his Ph.D last month.
- Interview: Haile Owusu, Mashable on Surviving Imprecision in Digital Media Analytics - May 1, 2015.
We discuss the challenges in tracking social media sharing, advice, important trends, and more.
- Data Mining Process/Workflow Reproducibility and KNIME - May 1, 2015.
What happens with analytics and data mining workflows when different components change? KNIME approach of keeping the old versions as part of the platform guarantees reproducibility.
- WebDataCommons – the Data and Framework for Web-scale Mining - May 1, 2015.
The WebDataCommons project extracts the largest publicly available hyperlink graph, large product-, address-, recipe-, and review corpora, as well as millions of HTML tables from the Common Crawl web corpus and provides the extracted data for public download.
- How Data Science makes Better Products - May 1, 2015.
This video defines adaptive software, shows how data science realizes these applications, and discusses how these new tools are addressing real world challenges across all industries.
- DrivenData Competition: Keeping Boston Fresh - May 1, 2015.
DrivenData civic innovation competition, "Keeping it Fresh," aims to help cities capitalize on their data. The task is to predict Boston restaurant violations from social media.
- How To Become a Data Scientist And Get Hired - May 1, 2015.
A data scientist should be able to choose the right technology, understand the business context and solve a wide range of problems. To hire the the right data scientist, check the tips list in the post.
- Criteo: Senior Data Scientist – Machine Learning - Apr 30, 2015.
Outstanding machine learning research scientists to contribute to Criteo in driving the future of ad targeting, personalization, content extraction, content matching and other prediction problems.
- Download IKANOW’s “Beyond the Kill Chain” eBook - Apr 30, 2015.
A complete security platform, powered by business intelligence, lets CISOs go beyond the kill chain, and manage risks, not just react to intrusions - download free ebook.
- Damballa: Research Scientist - Apr 29, 2015.
Using applied scientific research and leveraging data collected from sensors monitoring millions of hosts, we discover new and innovative ways to stay ahead of cyber crime activity.
- Closer Look: Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery Journal - Apr 29, 2015.
Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery Journal has a new EIC, has high impact factor, and allows researchers to publish open access.
- Interview: Haile Owusu, Mashable on Riding the Wave of Viral Content - Apr 29, 2015.
We discuss Mashable’s milestones, data-driven digital publishing, digital media tracking, viral prediction, and Mashable Velocity.
- Data Scientists Thoughts that Inspire - Apr 29, 2015.
Inspirational thoughts from leading data scientists, including Yann LeCun, Erin Shellman, Daniel Tunkelang, Claudia Perlich, and Jake Porway. What inspires you?
- KDnuggets™ News 15:n13, Apr 29: The Myth of Model Interpretability; Comprehensive Data Mining Textbook - Apr 29, 2015.
The Myth of Model Interpretability; New Comprehensive Data Mining Textbook by Charu Aggarwal; New Hybrid Rare-Event Sampling Technique for Fraud Detection; Deep Learning to Fight Crime.
- Kaggle Competition (Facebook recruiting): Human or Robot? - Apr 28, 2015.
Facebook and Kaggle are launching an Engineering competition for 2015 - leaders will earn an opportunity to interview for a software engineer at Facebook, working on world class Machine Learning problems. In this competition, you'll be chasing down robots for an online auction site.
- Boeing: Advanced Info Technologist in Machine Learning - Apr 28, 2015.
This position is focusing on Machine Learning and Data Mining with a strong background in statistics, probability, mathematics, databases, and strong programming skills. Help build something better for yourself, for our customers and for the world.
- Boeing: Advanced Information Technologist Text Analytics - Apr 28, 2015.
Join growing Boeing central R&D, Analytics and Simulation organization, and apply advanced data analysis and text analysis algorithms to help build something better for yourself, for our customers and for the world.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 21-27: Great discussion: Building Big Data systems in academia, industry; Deep Learning in a Nutshell - Apr 28, 2015.
Great discussion: Building #BigData systems in academia, industry; DeepLearning in a Nutshell - what it is, how it works, why care?; Basics of #DeepLearning to Get You Started; Top LinkedIn Groups for #Analytics, #BigData.
- Text Analytics, Text Mining Courses on Statistics.com - Apr 28, 2015.
Text analytics or text mining is the natural extension and essential part of predictive analytics and Data Science - learn key skills with Statistics.com online courses.
- TMA Predictive Analytics Data Mining Training [Wash. DC, May | Toronto, Aug] - Apr 28, 2015.
Successful analytics in the big data era does not start with data and software, but with hands-on, immersive training and goal-driven strategy - get it from The Modeling Agency in Washington DC (May), Toronto (Aug).
- Growth Intelligence: Developer, Big Data - Apr 28, 2015.
Help collect and process data on millions of companies from many sources, scale back-end data platform, build and improve web application, analyse data, and extract useful insights. Our clients include Google, American Express and Vodafone.
- Growth Intelligence (London): Senior Data Scientist - Apr 28, 2015.
Help us take the messy data we have on millions of companies and push it through a data pipeline into a web based search and recommendation engine. Our clients include Google, American Express and Vodafone.
- On the Shelf: Data Science Books - Apr 28, 2015.
Here are some great books About Data Science, Data Science for Businesses, Data Science in Popular Culture, Data Science How Tos & Manuals, and more - brought to you by UC Berkeley online Master of Information and Data Science.
- How to become a Data Scientist – brief answer - Apr 28, 2015.
The most important steps to become a Data Scientist: learn Python, deep understanding of machine learning, try to be up-to-date. Check more details in the post.
- Webinar: Data Mining: Failure to Launch
[May 5] - Apr 27, 2015.
Learn how to get started with predictive modeling and overcome strategic and tactical limitations that cause data mining projects to fall short of their potential. Next webinar is May 5.
- U. of Bristol: Heilbronn Research Fellowship: Data analysis for cybersecurity - Apr 27, 2015.
Three year Research Fellowships in the area of Internet data analysis for cybersecurity applications, starting (preferrably) Oct 2015 or Jan 2016. Apply by May 31.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Apr 28 and beyond - Apr 27, 2015.
Solving Big Data Challenges, Implementing a Better Search Experience, Data Scientists Compensation, Maximizing ROI, Identifying Customers Across Platforms, The Fast Data Challenge with Michael Stonebraker, and more.
- Interview: Mario Vinasco, Facebook on Advancing Marketing Analytics through Rigorous Experimentation - Apr 27, 2015.
We discuss marketing analytics at Facebook, multi-channel performance assessment, success factors, lessons from Look Back feature, advice, and more.
- The Myth of Model Interpretability - Apr 27, 2015.
Deep networks are widely regarded as black boxes. But are they truly uninterpretable in any way that logistic regression is not?
- Top /r/MachineLearning Posts, Apr 19-25: Neural nets for nipple detection; NHL Goal celebration hack - Apr 27, 2015.
Convolutional neural nets and Android App for nipple detection (NSFW), NHL goal detection, Geoff Hinton recent AI talk, top machine learning podcasts, and matrix multiplication in deep learning.
- Top stories for Apr 19-25: Top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining; 10 R Packages for a Kaggle Champion - Apr 26, 2015.
Top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science - from "Big Bang to Now"; Top 10 R Packages to be a Kaggle Champion; Deep Learning to Fight Crime.
- New Hybrid Rare-Event Sampling Technique for Fraud Detection - Apr 26, 2015.
Proposed hybrid sampling methodology may prove useful when building and validating machine learning models for applications where target event is rare, such as fraud detection.
- Interview: Emmanuel Letouzé, Data-Pop Alliance on Big Data for Development and Future Prospects - Apr 25, 2015.
We discuss the field of Big Data for Development, current projects and future plans for Data-Pop Alliance, public participation opportunities, advice, and more.
- Open drives Boston Open Data Science Conference, May 30-31 - Apr 25, 2015.
Data science is built on transparency, effort, and the exchange of ideas. Join Open Data Science Conference, Boston, May 30-31, 2015.
- XO: Marketing Analyst IV (Data Scientist) - Apr 24, 2015.
Develop game changing analytical, predictive and statistical solutions, develop and deploy models and algorithms to enhance business processes for marketing strategy and operations.
- Data Science Open House Apr 29, Online or In-Person, NYC - Apr 24, 2015.
Data science educator Metis, creators of the Metis Data Science Bootcamp in New York City, are hosting Apr 29 open house, in person in NYC and live online. Attend to meet the instructors, students and alumni.
- Interview: Emmanuel Letouzé, Data-Pop Alliance on Democratizing the Benefits of Big Data - Apr 24, 2015.
We discuss the 3 Cs of Big Data, state of ethics in the field of Big Data, and how to ensure that the benefits of Big Data reach the masses.
- Big Data Bootcamp, Austin: Day 3 Highlights - Apr 24, 2015.
Highlights from the presentations by Big Data and Analytics leaders/consultants on day 3 of Big Data Bootcamp in Austin.
- HappyGrumpy – Free Twitter Sentiment Analysis and Data - Apr 24, 2015.
HappyGrumpy has made available interesting data of Twitter sentiment changes and sentiment distribution around the world, by country, and over time.
- Apple: Data Science Engineer - Apr 24, 2015.
Customer-oriented, passionate and driven Data Science Engineer to lead our test automation and release management; be able to design and drive large projects from inception to production implementation and beyond.
- MapR on Open Data Platform: Why we declined - Apr 24, 2015.
Why MapR declined to participate in the Open Data Platform? Our concerns include redundancy with Apache Software Foundation Governance, misdefined “core”, and lack of participation from Hadoop leaders.
- Big Data Bootcamp, Austin: Day 2 Highlights - Apr 23, 2015.
Highlights from the presentations by Big Data and Analytics leaders/consultants on day 2 of Big Data Bootcamp in Austin.
- Data Mining: New Comprehensive Textbook by Charu Aggarwal - Apr 23, 2015.
This comprehensive data mining textbook explores the different aspects of data mining, from basics to advanced, and their applications, and may be used for both introductory and advanced data mining courses.
- Interview: Emmanuel Letouzé, Data-Pop Alliance on the Role of Big Data in Economic Development - Apr 23, 2015.
We discuss the emerging Big Data ecosystem, its key players, and the severe consequences of inadequate statistical capabilities across many African nations.
- Boeing: Game Software Engineer - Apr 23, 2015.
Help develop C++, OpenGL, and OpenGL Shader code to provide high-end visualization to new and existing simulation applications to support both commercial and defense programs.
- Boeing: Software Engineer Java Big Data Analysis - Apr 23, 2015.
Develop code that helps to process, visualize, and analyze Big Data, including processing raw files, data standardization, integration, writing clean data to a database.
- Boeing: Advanced Information Technologist Data Architect - Apr 23, 2015.
Help design and develop Big Data Databases, create Data Models, define and develop ETL procedures, and manage the overall ETL architecture to support commercial and defense programs.
- Top /r/MachineLearning Posts, Apr 12-18: Andrew Ng AMA, Autoencoders, and Deep Learning Textbooks - Apr 23, 2015.
Andrew Ng's AMA, a probabilistic view of Autoencoders, open source sentiment analysis, deep learning textbooks, and Airbnb's host matching are all discussed this week on /r/MachineLearning.
- Salford Quickstart Data Mining Training in Washington, DC, May 15 - Apr 23, 2015.
Get step-by-step instruction for the most popular data mining techniques, be able to start your own data mining projects, apply your new data mining knowledge to create immediate value.
- Data Lakes for Big Data, Free MOOC from EMC - Apr 23, 2015.
What can Big Data and Data Lakes do for you? Find out in our FREE Data Lakes for Big Data MOOC.
- SEIU 775: Data Scientist (Research and Analytics) - Apr 22, 2015.
Develop and build an ambitious portfolio of predictive modeling projects including learning outcomes, matching algorithms to connect home care aides with their consumers, and personalizing care plans for individual long-term care consumers.
- Big Data Bootcamp, Austin: Day 1 Highlights - Apr 22, 2015.
Highlights from the presentations by Big Data and Analytics leaders/consultants on day 1 of Big Data Bootcamp 2015 in Austin.
- Interview: Emmanuel Letouzé, Data-Pop Alliance on Big Data and Human Rights – A Complex Affair - Apr 22, 2015.
We discuss the founding story of Data-Pop Alliance, the applications and implications of Big Data on Human Rights and the need for penetration of Data Literacy.
- Deep Learning to Fight Crime - Apr 22, 2015.
We look at how using Deep Learning, Spark, and H2O Machine Learning platform can be used to analyze and predict crime in San Francisco and Chicago.
- KDnuggets™ News 15:n12, Apr 22: Predictive Analytics Future? Top LinkedIn Groups; Preventing Overfitting - Apr 22, 2015.
New Poll: Future of Predictive Analytics? Top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining - "Big Bang" to Now; Preventing Overfitting in Neural Networks; Cloud Machine Learning Wars: Amazon vs IBM Watson vs Microsoft Azure.
- UC Analytics Summit 2015, Cincinnati, May 29 - Apr 21, 2015.
UC Summit will feature two analytics leaders: John Elder and Stephen Few, 4 afternoon tracks focusing on descriptive / prescriptive / predictive analytics, building your analytics team, and more.
- KDnuggets Poll: Future of Predictive Analytics: Human or Machine? - Apr 21, 2015.
The robots are taking over many jobs - will they take yours and mine? New KDnuggets Poll is asking if and when automation will reach the level of human data scientists.
- Map of the Complexity Sciences – from von Neumann & Kolmogorov to Hofstadter and Piatetsky-Shapiro (?) - Apr 21, 2015.
A map of the Complexity Sciences traces its intellectual heritage from Isaac Newton and Henri Poincare to John von Neumann, Andrei Kolmogorov, and Duncan Watts, and includes an unexpectedly familiar name.
- Interview: Michael Li, Data Incubator on Bridging the Data Science Skills Gap between Academia and Industry - Apr 21, 2015.
We discuss the response from hiring companies, recommendations for aspirants, retaining data science talent, advice, and more.
- Top 10 R Packages to be a Kaggle Champion - Apr 21, 2015.
Kaggle top ranker Xavier Conort shares insights on the “10 R Packages to Win Kaggle Competitions”.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 14-20: Modern Methods for Sentiment Analysis; Basics of SQL, RDBMS – must have skills - Apr 21, 2015.
Great overview: Modern Methods for Sentiment Analysis #word2vec; Basics of SQL and RDBMS - must have skills for data science; The 7 Most Unusual Applications of Big Data; Extensive, but a little confusing site: Understanding Data Visualization.
- Salford Webinar: Maximizing ROI with State-of-the-art Data Science Techniques, Apr 28 - Apr 21, 2015.
ROI is a key measure for many business decisions. We will show how using state-of-the-art data science techniques, like TreeNet gradient boosting, we can optimize product promotion options and maximize revenue and wider gain.
- The Imminent Future of Predictive Modeling - Apr 21, 2015.
Predictive modeling tools and services are undergoing an inevitable step-change which will free data scientists to focus on applications and insight, and result in more powerful and robust models than ever before. Amongst the key enabling technologies are new hugely scalable cross-validation frameworks, and meta-learning.
- Algorithmia Tested: Human vs Automated Tag Generation - Apr 21, 2015.
Algorithmia, the marketplace for algorithms, can be a platform for hosting APIs to do a plethora of text analytics and information retrieval tasks. Automatic post tagging is done in this case study to demonstrate the effectiveness and ease-of-use of the platform.
- Penn State Online Business Analytics Certificate - Apr 21, 2015.
Penn State World Campus 9-credit online Graduate Certificate in Business Analytics: teaches you Business Strategies, Marketing Analytics, and Prescriptive Analytics. Applications due June 16.
- Macys: VP, Advanced Analytics - Apr 20, 2015.
Responsible for informing business and customer strategy, enabling and optimizing dynamic marketing and site capabilities, and for driving key customer, sales and efficiency KPIs.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Apr 21 and beyond - Apr 20, 2015.
Solving Big Data Challenges, Impact of User-Generated Reviews, Implementing a Better Search Experience, Maximizing ROI using Data Science, Identifying Customers Across Platforms, The Fast Data Challenge with Michael Stonebraker, and more.