- Top stories for Mar 2-8: Do’s and Don’t of Data Mining; Wolfram Breakthtough language - Mar 9, 2014.
The Dos and Donts of Data Mining; Wolfram Breakthrough Knowledge-based Programming Language - what it means for Data Science? Introduction to Random Forests for Beginners - free ebook; Exclusive Interview with Quentin Clark, Microsoft Data Platform Group.
- February Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining companies and startups activity - Mar 9, 2014.
February 2014 acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: Cloudant, Klout, Statwing, 300, Palantir, Talent Neuron, BlueKai.
- Future of Consumer Intelligence, May 19-21, KDnuggets Discount - Mar 8, 2014.
FOCI is unique aggregation of diversity across insights, data science, marketing science, social science with technology as a common thread. 20% off with KDnuggets discount.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Mar 5-6: Data Science Backlash begins; Intro to Random Forests for Beginners – free ebook - Mar 7, 2014.
Backlash begins: Data Science is not a science, and not a good job prospect; Intro to Random Forests for Beginners - free ebook; Must read for data scientists: Q - new Data Language; Book: R for Business Analytics.
- U. Bristol: Heilbronn Research Fellowships - Mar 7, 2014.
Work on both your own research and Heilbronn research program, with a focus on applications in data analysis for cybersecurity. Apply by March 28.
- Paxata automates Data Preparation for Big Data Analytics - Mar 7, 2014.
Paxata wants to shorten and automate the data cleaning process, by augmenting data from a huge number of sources and by using machine learning to see statistical similarities between the data imported.
- Top stories in February: 3 Ways to test the accuracy; Exclusive Interview with Yann LeCun; One Page R - Mar 6, 2014.
3 Ways to Test the Accuracy of Your Predictive Models; KDnuggets Exclusive: Interview with Yann LeCun, One Page R: A Survival Guide to Data Science with R; Cartoon: Data Scientist Valentine Day Prediction.
- MS in Data Mining, Analytics, and Knowledge Discovery at University Paris 13 - Mar 6, 2014.
This MSc focuses on data mining, business analytics, and knowledge discovery and is well-suited for students with BA in CS/Math/Stats.
- Introduction to Random Forests for Beginners – free ebook - Mar 6, 2014.
Random Forests is of the most powerful and successful machine learning techniques. This free ebook will help beginners to leverage the power of Random Forests.
- KDnuggets Exclusive: Part 2 of the interview with Quentin Clark, CVP, Microsoft Data Platform Group - Mar 6, 2014.
We discuss Microsoft decision to embrace Hadoop as the standard, collaboration with Hortonworks, and advice to newbies in Data Science.
- KDnuggets Exclusive: Interview with Quentin Clark, CVP, Microsoft Data Platform Group - Mar 6, 2014.
KDnuggets talks with Quentin Clark, Corporate Vice President, Microsoft Data Platform Group. In the interview, we discuss Power BI for Office 365, Big Data trends and Microsoft’s strategic decisions.
- Big Data Innovation Summit, Apr 9-10, Santa Clara - Mar 6, 2014.
Listen to 80+ speakers from top companies including JP Morgan Chase, Pfizer, Netflix, Bing, American Express, Samsung, IBM, and learn how to tackle Big Data challenges.
- Book: R for Business Analytics - Mar 5, 2014.
This book helps you kick-start with analytics including chapters on data visualization, code examples on web analytics and social media analytics, clustering, regression models, text mining, data mining models and forecasting.
- SIGKDD Data Science/Data Mining Doctoral Dissertation Award Nominations - Mar 5, 2014.
This annual award by ACM SIGKDD seeks to recognize outstanding research by doctoral candidates in the field of data mining, data science, and knowledge discovery. Submit nominations by Apr 30.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Mar 3-4: Accenture/MIT data science challenge; Spark graduates, 100x faster than Hadoop - Mar 5, 2014.
Accenture and MIT data science challenge - analyze City of Chicago; Spark graduates from Apache Incubator, 100x faster than Hadoop over in-memory data; Stanford Data Mining, Finance, Statistics Courses Online; Data Mining Cup 2014 - Student Competition starts.
- etcML Promises to Make Text Classification Easy - Mar 5, 2014.
etcML is a new and free tool that allows even novice user use the power of machine learning and text classification.
- KDnuggets 14:n05, Exclusive: Yann LeCun interview; New Salary Poll; Gartner Analytics MQ - Mar 5, 2014.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including Features (10) | News (6) | Software (5) | Webcasts (1) | Courses (6) | Meetings (5) | Jobs (7) | Academic (1) | Publications (5) | Top Tweets (5) | CFP (18) .
- Best Practice Partners: Data Scientist - Mar 4, 2014.
Help fix fundamental problems in the healthcare industry, leverage proprietary health care and claims data to create huge financial and societal benefit.
- March-June Analytics, Big Data and Data Science Meetings - Mar 4, 2014.
Coming soon: PAW San Francisco, GigaOM Structure, Predictive Analytics/Big Data Innovation Summits, Big Data Techcon, INFORMS Boston, SPB 14, SDM 14, PASS Business Analytics, PAKDD 2014, and many more.
- KDnuggets Annual Analytics/Data Science Salary/Income Poll - Mar 4, 2014.
KDnuggets 2013 Analytics/Data Science Salary/Income analysis was a top read story of the year. Please vote - anonymously - in 2014 KDnuggets Analytics & Data Science Salary/Income poll - we promise the results will be interesting!
- Webinar: Building Predictive Apps with BigML API, March 11 - Mar 4, 2014.
BigML interface makes machine learning easy to use, the underlying API provides the same functionality enabling data scientists to quickly implement many machine learning and predictive applications. Learn more on March 11.
- Stanford Data Mining, Finance, and Statistics Courses Online - Mar 4, 2014.
With Stanford world-class online certificates, show advanced knowledge in Mining Massive Data Sets, Financial Risk Analysis, and Quantitative Methods in Finance. Spring quarter enrollment until Mar 26.
- Vendor-Neutral Hands-On Training in Data Mining [ Los Angeles, April | Wash-DC, May ] - Mar 3, 2014.
Successful analytics in the big data era start not with data or software, but with immersive hands-on training and goal-driven strategy. Get this training from The Modeling Agency.
- Data Mining Cup 2014 – Student Competition – Starts - Mar 3, 2014.
The DMC Competition is one of the largest Data Mining contests in the world, focusing on students. Registration starts Mar 3, task details will be published Apr 2.
- ACM SIGKDD Innovation and Service Awards – Call for Nominations - Mar 3, 2014.
ACM SIGKDD Innovation and Service Awards recognize outstanding technical innovations and outstanding professional contributions to the field of Big data, Data Mining, Knowledge Discovery, and Predictive Analytics.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 28 – Mar 2: Using R with Twitter – great tutorial; The Dos and Donts of Data Mining - Mar 3, 2014.
Using R with Twitter - great tutorial in Rstudio; The Dos and Donts of Data Mining; Wolfram Breakthrough Knowledge-based Programming Language; Online Data Science Certificates in Analytics and Programming for Data Science.
- Book: Ask, Measure, Learn – Social Media Analytics for Customer Behavior - Mar 3, 2014.
Ask-Measure-Learn is a rare book intended both for a manager and for a data scientist. It presents a framework that helps you ask the right questions, measure the right data, and then learn from the results.
- PAW: Predictive Analytics World Toronto, May 12-15 - Mar 2, 2014.
The experts from leading companies are headed to Toronto to share with you how they are applying predictive analytics through case studies and in-depth sessions at PAW Toronto. KDnuggets Discount.
- Wolfram Breakthrough Knowledge-based Programming Language – what it means for Data Science? - Mar 2, 2014.
The coming Wolfram Programming language, 30 years in making, will probably be the largest, most comprehensive, and most knowledge-based programming language ever, and can be a significant advance for data science.
- Top stories for Feb 23 – Mar 1: Exclusive Interview with Yann LeCun; Graf.ly; Gartner MQ for Advanced Analytics - Mar 2, 2014.
KDnuggets Exclusive: Interview with Yann LeCun, Deep Learning Expert, Director of Facebook AI Lab; Graf.ly: Making beautiful, interactive graphs; SAS, IBM, RapidMiner, Knime leaders in Gartner MQ for Advanced Analytics Platforms; The Dos and Donts of Data Mining.
- Adobe: Analytics Engineer / Data Scientist - Mar 1, 2014.
Work with our talented team of designers, developers, and community managers to create products that connect and empower the creative world.
- Why Predictive Analytics Marketplaces are not taking off, and how to fix it - Mar 1, 2014.
Three main hurdles holding back Predictive Analytics Marketplaces are a highly fragmented data mining tools market, limited support for customization, and lack of commitment. We examine how to overcome them.
- The Do’s and Don’ts of Data Mining - Mar 1, 2014.
Leading data mining and analytics experts give their favorite do's and don'ts, from "Do plan for data to be messy" to "Do not underestimate the power of a simpler-to-understand solution".
- Online Data Science Certificates: Analytics and Programming for Data Science - Mar 1, 2014.
Statistics.com, a leading provider of online education in statistics and analytics announces two new online certificates for Data Science - "Analytics for Data Science" and "Programming for Data Science".
- Microsoft: Data Scientist - Feb 28, 2014.
Join a fast paced data science team in the Microsoft Cloud + Enterprise organization building machine learning powered intelligent web services.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 26-27: Facebook “Relationship Data Mining”; Non-human math: Wikipedia-size computer proof - Feb 28, 2014.
The gap between data mining and predictive models in Facebook Relationship Data Mining; Non-human math: Computer proof is Wikipedia size; A look at pioneering women in #BigData ; MS in Data Analytics from CUNY: Online and Affordable.
- Vasant Dhar – New Editor-in-Chief of Big Data Journal - Feb 28, 2014.
Vasant Dhar, Professor and Director of the Center for Business Analytics at the Stern School of Business, NYU is new Editor-in-Chief of Big Data Journal.
- NREL: Data Scientist - Feb 28, 2014.
Derive maximum benefit from the diverse data sets generated and scientific data systems in support of renewable energy research and related applications.
- Strata 2014 Santa Clara: Highlights of Day 3 (Feb 13) - Feb 28, 2014.
Strata 2014 was a great conference, and here are key insights from some of the best sessions on day 3: Data Journalism, Analytics over Real-time Streaming Data, Facebook Graph Analysis with One Trillion Edges, Socializing Search by LinkedIn.
- Strata 2014 Santa Clara: Highlights of Day 2 (Feb 12) - Feb 27, 2014.
Strata 2014 was a great conference, and here are key insights from some of the best sessions on day 2: Big Data Vendor Landscape, Machine Learning for Social Change, Secrets of Gertrude Stein, and Facebook Exascale Analytics.
- KDD 2014 Tutorial and Workshop Proposals - Feb 27, 2014.
KDD 2014 is a leading research conference on Knowledge Discovery, Data Mining, and Data Science. Submit Workshop proposals by Mar 7, Tutorial proposals by Mar 15.
- Method3: Experienced Big Data Software Engineer - Feb 27, 2014.
Method3, a leader in human capital, RPO, and technology solutions is seeking an experienced Big Data Software Engineer for a large Big4 client in the Irvine, CA area.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 24-25: Applied R for the Social Scientist, free book; Great overview: Python Tools for Machine Learning - Feb 27, 2014.
Applied R for the Quantitative Social Scientist - a free 100 page ebook! Great overview: Python Tools for Machine Learning; MIT TR 50 Smartest Companies has many #BigData companies; Wolfram releases demo of breakthrough knowledge-based language.
- The Chartis Group: Data Manager - Feb 27, 2014.
Lead the team providing high quality data and analytic support for client engagements and internal research and development initiatives within the firm.
- MS in Data Analytics from CUNY: Online and Affordable - Feb 27, 2014.
Learn about the affordable, fully online, MS in Data Analytics at CUNY SPS that prepares graduates to manage and analyze large amounts of data - March 11 info session.
- KDnuggets Pass to BigData TechCon: Learn HOW TO Master Big Data, Mar 31-Apr 2, Boston - Feb 26, 2014.
Get a free KDnuggets Pass to BigData TechCon, Mar 31-Apr 2, in Boston, the HOW-TO big data event - see details.
- Travelers: Associate, Research and Modeling - Feb 26, 2014.
Travelers, a leading insurance company in North America, has exciting RnD position with opportunity for both technical innovation and business impact, and working closely with key leaders across several business lines.
- 10 Most Influential Analytics Leaders in India - Feb 25, 2014.
Analytics India Magazine’s annual ranking of the 10 Most Influential Analytics Leaders in India, in terms of Impact, Leadership, Entrepreneurship and Analytics evangelism.
- The Data Mining Group releases PMML v4.2 Predictive Modeling Standard - Feb 25, 2014.
The Data Mining Group, a vendor-led consortium of companies and organizations developing standards for statistical and data mining models, announced the general availability of version 4.2 of the Predictive Model Markup Language (PMML).
- IARPA RFI: Emerging Events and Participating Entities - Feb 25, 2014.
IARPA looks for creative ideas on the representation of emerging events and their participants, especially events that involve individual or small groups.
- KNIME a 2014 Leader in Advanced Analytic Platform: Gartner Magic Quadrant - Feb 25, 2014.
KNIME announced that Gartner has placed KNIME among the "Leaders" in its Magic Quadrant for Advanced Analytic Platforms in recognition of KNIME ability to execute and its completeness of vision.
- PASS Business Analytics Conference, San Jose, May 7-9 - Feb 25, 2014.
The best in business analytics learning is back; featuring over 70 sessions during 2 full days on hot topics you can't afford to miss. Special KDnuggets discount.
- SAS, IBM, RapidMiner, Knime leaders in Gartner MQ for Advanced Analytics Platforms - Feb 24, 2014.
Gartner new Magic Quadrant(tm) for Advanced Analytics Platforms names 4 companies as leaders: SAS, IBM, RapidMiner, and Knime. A copy of the report, with evaluations for 15 more companies, is available thanks to RapidMiner.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 21-23: Vincent Granville salary history, career path; Graf.ly: Making beautiful, interactive graphs - Feb 24, 2014.
Data Science Central founder Vincent Granville shares his salary history, career path; Graf.ly: Making beautiful, interactive graphs ; Qualitative Analytics: Why numbers do not tell the complete story? ; Leading US researcher Tom Mitchell deep insights on Machine Learning
- Graf.ly: Making beautiful, interactive graphs - Feb 23, 2014.
Visualize your spreadsheet data in 30 seconds by building beautiful, interactive graphs using three step process by Graf.ly.
- Top stories for Feb 16-22 - Feb 23, 2014.
KDnuggets Exclusive: Interview with Yann LeCun, Deep Learning Expert, Director of Facebook AI Lab; One Page R: A Survival Guide to Data Science with R; Anaconda: Free, enterprise-ready Python for Big data; Why numbers do not tell the complete story.
- Qualitative Analytics: Why numbers do not tell the complete story? - Feb 21, 2014.
Data scientists love numbers, yet not all data is numerical. Qualitative analytics should not be ignored, especially given the unique value it provides.
- Low-cost Data Mining Training (Hands-On), New York City and other locations - Feb 21, 2014.
Low cost hands-on data mining training seminars by Salford Systems. Fee includes 90-day access to the SPM Salford Predictive Modeler as well.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 18-20: The six types of conversations on Twitter; 25 Free eBooks on Artificial Intelligence - Feb 21, 2014.
The six types of conversations on Twitter; 25 Free ebooks on AI: Introductions, Intelligent Agents, Vision; Practical Machine Learning: Innovations in Recommendation - free ebook download; First UK Data Science Summer School to open In August, free 5-week course.
- INFORMS Business Analytics and Operations Research, Boston, Mar 30 – Apr 1 - Feb 21, 2014.
INFORMS is a top analytics conference, with over 100 practical talks providing "how we did it" information from hand-picked industry speakers, and keynote from industry thought leader Tom Davenport. Early rates until Mar 17.