- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 29-30: If you can’t code, you can’t be a data scientist; 13 Machine Learning Books - Oct 31, 2014.
The #strataconf debate: If You Can't Code, You Can't Be a Data Scientist; 13 Machine Learning Books recommended by Berkeley machine learning expert; Data Blending for Dummies - free ebook from Alteryx; Data Science 2.0, upcoming book from Vincent Granville.
- Hyundai Capital America: Principal Statistician - Oct 31, 2014.
Managing the design, development, and implementation of statistical services to assess Loan and Credit Portfolio risk status and trends in Commercial and Consumer Loan Portfolio.
- Wikibon Big Data Capital Markets Day – Big Data NYC 2014 - Oct 30, 2014.
One of the biggest events at Big Data NYC 2014 was the insightful presentation by Jeff Kelly from WikiBon. We provide here the key takeaways.
- Big Data Winter ahead – unless we change course, warns Michael Jordan - Oct 30, 2014.
We have to have error bars around all our predictions, says machine learning expert Michael Jordan. Otherwise it's gambling, and too many failed predictions can lead to big disappointment with Big Data - a Big Data Winter.
- MassMutual: Data Engineer - Oct 30, 2014.
An exceptional data engineer to build and maintain big data infrastructure to support the development of a strategic data asset and the execution of data science projects.
- DBS Bank (Singapore): VP, Data Scientist - Oct 30, 2014.
Assess business needs and define analytical strategy, data & technology requirements. Develop models and perform statistical analysis to predict customer behavior across full range of consumer banking products.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 27-28: Twitter Breakout detection in the wild; Marc Andreessen on #BigData and finance - Oct 29, 2014.
Dilbert on inability of designers predict results of A/B tests; Marc Andreessen @pmarc, web pioneer, VC @a16z on #BigData, upending finance; Will Deep Learning take over Machine Learning, make other algorithms obsolete?;.@WillJHenry @data_nerd @KirkDBorne Data Scientists don't wear bowties!
- KDnuggets 14:n28, Top Data Science methodology; Big Data Halloween costume - Oct 29, 2014.
KDnuggets latest stories, including: CRISP-DM, still the top methodology for analytics, data science; Cartoon: Halloween Costume for Big Data; Will Deep Learning take over Machine Learning? DM radio with KDnuggets, Oct 30.
- Analytics Street, Boston Data Analytics Conference, Nov 5-7 - Oct 28, 2014.
Boston Analytics Street includes a workshop, a career fair, 3 Days, 45 Businesses, 16 Panels, 10 talks, 6 Keynotes and lots of learning and networking. Nov 5-7, 2014.
- Cartoon: Halloween Costume for Big Data - Oct 28, 2014.
New KDnuggets cartoon looks at the appropriate Halloween costume for Big Data and its companion, No Privacy.
- UIUC: Postdoc, Radiation detection with big data analytics - Oct 28, 2014.
Postdoctoral RA tp help us start our work combining radiation detector data with big data analytics. The ideal candidate will have superior CS skills but does not need to be a nuclear engineer.
- Higher Up Recruiting: Data Scientists, Data Miners, NLP Experts - Oct 28, 2014.
Higher Up Recruiting is working with a San Diego based company recruiting for both Contract and Direct Hire positions for a Biotech related company in San Diego.
- Big Data & Analytics Innovation Summit, Australia: Day 2 Highlights - Oct 28, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Big Data leaders from Paypal, Huawei and Qantas on day 2 of Big Data & Analytics Innovation Summit 2014 in Sydney, Australia.
- CRISP-DM, still the top methodology for analytics, data mining, or data science projects - Oct 28, 2014.
CRISP-DM remains the most popular methodology for analytics, data mining, and data science projects, with 43% share in latest KDnuggets Poll, but a replacement for unmaintained CRISP-DM is long overdue.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Oct 28 and beyond - Oct 27, 2014.
DM Radio: Predictive Tools Are Pervasive - with Gregory Piatetsky (KDnuggets), Predixion, others; Deep Learning + Apache Spark; Data Mining - Failure to Launch; Demystify your data flows, Data hiding, and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 24-26: Why Deep Learning is likely to make other Machine Learning algorithms obsolete - Oct 27, 2014.
Why Deep Learning is likely to make other Machine Learning algorithms obsolete; Open Source Distributed Analytics Engine with SQL interface; Data Mining Reveals How News Coverage Varies Around the World; 3 Great (and Free) Data Science Books You Can Read Now.
- Will Deep Learning take over Machine Learning, make other algorithms obsolete? - Oct 27, 2014.
Will deep learning will take over machine learning and make other algorithms obsolete, or is it too complex to use on simpler problems? We look at both sides of this discussion.
- H2O World, Open Source Machine Learning Meeting, Nov 18-19, Mountain View - Oct 27, 2014.
H2O World (Nov 18-19, Mountain View) is where the users of the very popular Open Source Machine Learning Engine H2O gather to share their knowledge and know-how to build Smart Applications.
- Simplilearn: Enroll in Analytics and Big Data Training, get free Amazon Fire (until Oct 31) - Oct 27, 2014.
Be technically competent in data analytics processes with Simplilearn Business Analytics, Big Data, SAS, R, and Hadoop training. Enroll by Oct 31 and get a free Amazon Fire.
- WCAI Research: Desktop Software Subscription Analysis - Oct 27, 2014.
A new dataset on when and how customers renew software licenses is now available for research into software purchase behavior. Register for Nov 21 webinar and submit proposals by Dec 8.
- Making Sense of Public Data – Wrangling Jeopardy – Part 2 - Oct 27, 2014.
Wrangling Jeopardy (Part 2) describes the remaining steps of the data transformation process, detailing how we used Trifacta to structure, clean, enrich and distill Jeopardy data for analysis.
- Big Data accelerates medical research? Or not? - Oct 26, 2014.
Take a look at how big data in healthcare brings big opportunities, but along with those opportunities come great risk if statistics aren't carefully applied to those large datasets.
- Top stories for Oct 19-25: Ebola Data Science Lessons; DM Radio, Oct 30 on Predictive Tools with KDnuggets, Predixion - Oct 26, 2014.
Ebola Analytics and Data Science Lessons; DM Radio: Predictive Tools Are Pervasive, with KDnuggets, Predixion, RedPoint, and Appnomic, Oct 30; Big Data for Social Good IBM + Hadoop Challenge; TweetNLP: Twitter Natural Language Processing.
- Zipfian Academy: Become a Data Scientist in 12 Weeks - Oct 25, 2014.
Zipfian Academy trains engineers, scientists, and analysts to become data scientists in an intense full-time program in San Francisco. 93% of graduates find data science roles in 6 months. Applications for Winter cohort due Nov 14.
- Top-Read Big Data Journal Open Access Articles - Oct 25, 2014.
Top-read open access articles include: Why Big Data Won't Cure Us, Predictive Modeling With Big Data: Is Bigger Really Better?, and A Data Scientist's Guide to Start-Ups.
- IEEE ICDM 2014 Outstanding Service Award: Prof. Rao Kotagiri - Oct 25, 2014.
IEEE ICDM 2014 highest recognition for service achievements in Data Mining goes to Prof. Rao Kotagiri from U. of Melbourne, for his work on editorial boards of IEEE TKDE, VLDB, and SADM journals, and major contributions to ICDM, ICDE, SIGMOD, PAKDD, and other conferences.
- IEEE ICDM 2014 Research Contributions Award: Prof. Jian Pei - Oct 25, 2014.
Jian Pei wins a highest recognition for research in Data Mining for his work on the core frontiers of data mining, including pattern mining, classification, clustering, anomaly detection and outlier analysis.
- Modern Analytics: Statistician/SAS Programmer - Oct 24, 2014.
Work closely with clients during the development and implementation of statistical, score-based, and empirical models to provide high-quality statistical modeling support.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 22-23: Baidu revenue jumps after Deep Learning use; Great viz: chess piece survival - Oct 24, 2014.
Great viz: chances of survival of #chess pieces in average game; Baidu, 'Chinese Google', had big revenue jump after it started using Deep Learning; 4 ways to become a Data Scientist w/out a PhD; Machine-Learning expert Michael Jordan on the Delusions of #BigData.
- TweetNLP: Twitter Natural Language Processing - Oct 24, 2014.
A short overview of Natural Language Processing tools and utilities developed by Prof. Noah Smith, CMU and his team to analyze Twitter data.
- Great West Casualty Company: Predictive Modeler - Oct 24, 2014.
Researching, analyzing and developing predictive models to support of our mission - be the premier provider of insurance products and services for truckers.
- Text Mining and Election Analytics in Massachusetts - Oct 24, 2014.
Election season is coming! Take a deeper look at some political dynamics with indico’s political analysis API.
- Supermarket customers segmentation using Self-Organizing Mapping - Oct 23, 2014.
See how a leading European supermarket chain improved customer value and profitability and identified key customer groups by applying business intelligence and analytics techniques like self-organizing maps.
- iCrossing: Supervisor, Insights and Data Science – Web Analytics - Oct 23, 2014.
Build on the skills of the Sr. Digital Marketing Analyst and expand into a leadership role through overseeing a team of analytic professionals for a single client and/or a small number of clients.
- Predictive Analytics World events in 2015 - Oct 23, 2014.
Check 2015 Predictive Analytics World events focused on business, workforce, healthcare, government, and manufacturing - in San Francisco, Chicago, Boston, Washington DC, London, and Berlin.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 20-21: 4 ways to become a Data Scientist w/out a PhD; Ebola and Data Science Lessons - Oct 22, 2014.
4 ways to become a Data Scientist w/out getting a PhD; Ebola Analytics and Data Science Lessons; Apple: Data Analyst; How to Be a Data Scientist: An Interview with Dr. Pete Meyers of Moz.
- Big Data & Analytics Innovation Summit, Australia: Day 1 Highlights - Oct 22, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Big Data leaders from GE Capital, Datawatch and MapR Technologies on day 1 of Big Data & Analytics Innovation Summit 2014 in Sydney, Australia.
- Apple: Software Engineering Manager, Analytics Insights - Oct 22, 2014.
Apple Analytic Insight team is responsible for mitigating fraud, waste and abuse company-wide. This role is to lead a team of software engineers who build tools to support the fraud prevention efforts.
- Piketty Revisited: Improving Economics through Data Science - Oct 22, 2014.
How Data Curation and Data Science Enable More Faithful Economics (In Much Less Time) - a leading database researcher explains.
- KDnuggets 14:n27, Ebola Data Science Lessons; Data Science methodology? Spotlight on Academic Research - Oct 22, 2014.
Ebola Analytics and Data Science Lessons; New Poll: Methodology for Analytics, Data Mining Projects? Can Data Science Save Humanity from Mosquitoes? GraphDB - 3 versions; DM Radio with KDnuggets, Predixion on Oct 30.
- TMA Predictive Analytics Data Mining Training
[Las Vegas, Dec | Orlando, Feb] - Oct 21, 2014.
Successful analytics in the big data era does not start with data and software, but with hands-on, immersive training and goal-driven strategy - get it from The Modeling Agency. Next courses in Las Vegas (Dec) and Orlando (Feb).
- DM Radio: Predictive Tools Are Pervasive, with KDnuggets, Predixion, RedPoint, and Appnomic, Oct 30 - Oct 21, 2014.
Today there are many companies offering predictive analytics tools and solutions. How, where, and when can these new tools be leveraged? Listen to DM Radio with KDnuggets, Predixion, RedPoint, and Appnomic, on Oct 30.
- Salford Comprehensive Data Science Training, Dec 3-5, San Diego or Online - Oct 21, 2014.
Learn the basics tree-structured data mining with CART, and progress to more advanced topics including Linear, Logistic, Nonlinear, Regularized, Lasso, MARS, TreeNet (Stochastic Gradient Boosting) and RandomForests(r), including Latest Refinements and Model Compression.
- TESC 18-month Online MBA in Data Analytics - Oct 21, 2014.
Get an affordable online MBA in Data Analytics from Thomas Edison State College - study both foundational business courses and how to analyze and present the data.
- Ebola Analytics and Data Science Lessons - Oct 20, 2014.
We analyze latest Ebola data, examine the recent slowdown in growth of cases in Liberia, and analyze its likely causes. Many problems with data lend themselves to good data science lessons.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Oct 21 and beyond - Oct 20, 2014.
Big Data Changes everything, Deep Learning + Apache Spark, Data Mining - Failure to Launch, Linear Regression in Python, Demystify your data flows, and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 17-19: Air traffic analyzed to predict Ebola spread; Cool public data for data science - Oct 20, 2014.
Air traffic data analyzed to predict Ebola spread; Some cool public data sources you can use for your next data science project; Data science can't be point and click ! Finding random correlation is too easy; Bayes Rule in an animated gif.
- Apple: Data Analyst - Oct 20, 2014.
The Maps team is looking for self-motivated team players who are fascinated by data, are curious about patterns and anomalies, and want to derive insights from data to improve our products.
- Request: Crowdsourcing Health and Nutrition Tweets - Oct 20, 2014.
Help investigate the relationships between geo-location, age, gender, and nutrition through the medium of Twitter by labeling tweets for this research project.
- Big Data for Social Good IBM + Hadoop Challenge - Oct 20, 2014.
Use city data to develop great applications for social good and earn prizes in IBM's new Big Data for Social Good challenge, starting in November 10. More information on eligibility, terms, and prizes will be available at launch.
- U. Geneva: Postdoc position on Learning over distributed streaming data - Oct 19, 2014.
We are looking for an excellent postdoc to work on the development of new machine learning methods for distributed streaming data generated in the context of the Internet of Things.
- Boston Docker Global Hack Day and Meetup, Oct 30 - Oct 19, 2014.
Docker is an open platform for developers and sysadmins to build, ship, and run distributed applications. Join other Boston-area developers for Docker Global Hack Day #2 at O'Reilly Media in Cambridge, MA.
- Top stories for Oct 12-18: New Poll: Methodology for Analytics, Data Mining Projects? Big Data Is Not Big Context - Oct 19, 2014.
New Poll: Methodology for Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science Projects? Big Data Is Not Big Context; Big Data on the Internet of Things; ADW, free software to measure semantic similarity.
- Stanford, Postdoc: Data-driven Prediction for Subsurface Flow - Oct 17, 2014.
Postdoc Data Scientist position at Stanford Dept of Energy Resources Engineering to develop data-driven prediction modeling for subsurface flow.
- Big Data and Hadoop, Big Data Boot Camp LA - Oct 17, 2014.
Big Data Boot Camp LA provided attendees a comprehensive understanding of Big Data and Hadoop technologies. Sujee Maniyam provided a good technical overview of Hadoop and current trends. We provide key takeaways.
- Adobe: Sr. Machine Learning Engineer (C++ / Big Data) - Oct 17, 2014.
Be part of the development team that produces a complex, high-performance analytics product called Adobe Data Workbench. Have superior problem-solving skills an a knack for developing large-scale, high-performance, complex systems.
- Overcoming Text Analytics Barriers - Oct 17, 2014.
Getting the value from companies text assets can be both time consuming and expensive. Learn how to overcome these barriers with “Overcoming Text Analytics Barriers" whitepaper, and at Text Analytics Summit West in San Francisco, Nov 4-5. KDnuggets discount.
- Interactive Network and Graph Data Repository - Oct 17, 2014.
The network repository currently hosts over 500+ graphs/networks that span 19 collections of graphs from social science, machine learning, scientific computing, and many others.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 15-16: STOP and THINK cartoon; Math Model predicts Ebola to burn out in December - Oct 17, 2014.
STOP and THINK, sometimes the simplest caption is the best; This model tracks Ebola outbreak well so far, predicts Ebola to burn out in December; BAH launches online course "Explore Data Science"; Watch: R wizard Hadley Wickham dplyr tutorial at useR! 2014 conf.
- U Geneva: PhD position on Learning over distributed streaming data - Oct 17, 2014.
Develop innovative machine learning methods for streaming data in the context of the Internet of Things in this PhD position. Position is funded for three years. Applications submitted by November 30th will be given priority.
- Stevens: Tenure-track Asst/Assoc Professor in Business Analytics/Data Science - Oct 17, 2014.
Of particular interest are applicants with backgrounds in data science, statistics, information visualization, machine learning, computer science and related fields. Expected start date Aug 2015.
- DataLadder outperforms IBM and SAS in Record Linkage - Oct 16, 2014.
Data scientists from the Centre for Data Linkage at Curtin U. found that Connecticut-based firm Data Ladder has outperformed several major companies on record linkage.
- Boston Data Festival Celebrates Big Data Community, Nov 3-8 - Oct 16, 2014.
Celebrate the big data community, see many world-class speakers, and participate in insightful events at this year's Boston Data Festival. The event takes place November 3-8.
- Catalytic DS: Biomedical Text Mining Developer - Oct 16, 2014.
Help develop cloud-based text analytics solutions that enable researchers to use biomedical information locked in vast repositories of 'read only' scientific publications.
- Virginia Tech: Faculty in AI/Machine Learning, Software Engineering, Data Analytics - Oct 16, 2014.
Virginia Tech seeks applicants for one tenure-track and two tenured faculty positions in three areas: artificial intelligence/machine learning, software engineering, and data analytics/cyber security.
- LinkedIn Economic Graph Challenge - Oct 16, 2014.
Leverage the LinkedIn Economic Graph for your innovative and ambitious ideas for increasing economic value and gaining insights into economic opportunities using LinkedIn data and support. Proposals due Dec 15.
- TDWI Orlando, Dec 7-12, Premier Education Event for BI, Big Data and Analytics - Oct 16, 2014.
Plan your week with the complete 6-day agenda, including course descriptions, keynotes, exhibit hall times, networking events, and BI certification opportunities.
- Pacific Life: Sr. Data Scientist - Oct 15, 2014.
Analyze big data to gain a better understanding of our customers - how they interact with our company and our products and what they desire moving forward.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 13-14: Data mining classics: Classifying Shakespearean Drama - Oct 15, 2014.
Also - The Open Source Data Science MS Curriculum: UW/Coursera + Harvard ; Statistical Modeling vs Machine Learning - mapping the terms and concepts; Very useful! Python 2.7 Quick Reference Sheet.
- Strata Hadoop World NYC – Watch Live, Oct 16 - Oct 15, 2014.
Strata + Hadoop is a leading conference on Big Data. The Strata + Hadoop NYC is sold out, but you can watch it live starting Oct 16 - see how.
- Lavastorm Wizard and Witches Challenge - Oct 15, 2014.
Make-believe costume company, WigWarts Costumes, is launching a new glow in the dark range of costumes in time for Halloween 2014. Help them combine and analyze data in Lavastorm Wizard and Witches Challenge - entries due Oct 30.
- Arizona State University (ASU): Faculty Positions In Big Data Systems - Oct 14, 2014.
ASU Fulton Schools of Engineering have tenure track/tenured faculty positions; Areas of interest include: high performance and trusted systems for management, analytics, mining, and visualization of massive data sets.
- ArrowStreet Capital: Research Associate - Oct 14, 2014.
Join investment research team, support coding new ideas into signals, testing them, and producing return and risk forecasts to drive trading decisions.
- MS in Analytics from the University of San Francisco - Oct 14, 2014.
The MS in Analytics at U. San Francisco is an intensive one-year program that provides students with the skills necessary to develop techniques and processes for data-driven decision-making.
- Big Data on the Internet of Things - Oct 14, 2014.
ParStream unveils the first analytics platform purpose-built for the speed and scale of the Internet of Things (IoT).
- Book: Data Mining for Managers - Oct 14, 2014.
This book by a leading data mining consultant is meant for both practitioners and end users of data mining solutions, and it focuses more on the data and less on the math.
- Text Analytics West Summit – Use Data Scientists time productively - Oct 14, 2014.
Data scientists time is expensive - it should be used productively to help answer important questions and help business grow. Use their time well at the Text Analytics West Summit, SF, Nov 4-5 - see KDnuggets Offer.
- GraphDB, a powerful graph database, 3 versions and KDnuggets offer - Oct 14, 2014.
GraphDB blends text mining, powerful SPARQL queries, semantic annotation and semantic search into a powerful database that infers new meaning at scale. Free GraphDB Lite and special KDnuggets offer for GraphDB Standard and Enterprise.
- New Poll: Methodology for Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science Projects? - Oct 13, 2014.
KDnuggets revisits the question of methodology, and asks "What main methodology are you using for your analytics, data mining, or data science projects?" Please vote.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Oct 14 and beyond - Oct 13, 2014.
Hadoop means Business, Which Half of Your Graphs are Lying, Deep Learning + Apache Spark, Data Mining - Failure to Launch, Linear Regression in Python, and many more.