- How to Network and Build a Personal Brand in Data Science - May 2, 2016.
SpringBoard shares some ideas on how to network and build a data career, as taken from a new guide they have put together on the topic.
- Attend In-Memory Computing Summit, May 23-24, San Francisco - May 2, 2016.
This conference is the only industry-wide event of its kind, tailored to in-memory computing related technologies and solutions. The IMC Summit brings together in-memory computing visionaries, decision makers, experts and developers for the purpose of education, discussion and networking. Get 20% off with code KDN20.
- Top /r/MachineLearning Posts, April: New Google Machine Learning Videos, Deep Learning Book, TensorFlow Playground - May 2, 2016.
Check out the most popular topics on Reddit's Machine Learning subreddit from April, including TensorFlow, deep learning, tutorials, self-reflection, and free books.
- How to Use Cohort Analysis to Improve Customer Retention - May 2, 2016.
Cohort analysis is a subset of behavioral analytics that takes the user data and breaks them into related groups for analysis. Let’s understand using cohort analysis with an example of daily cohort of app users.
- UnitedHealth Group/OptumLabs: Senior Data Scientist. - May 2, 2016.
Work with Optum business units to identify and deliver results on high-impact projects leveraging big data analytics and machine learning. You will work with both interns and new hires to apply data science skills to important business problems.
- Academic/Research positions in Business Analytics, Data Science, Machine Learning in April - May 2, 2016.
Academic/Research positions Analytics and Data Science in Zurich, Hatfield-UK, Paris, Ningbo-China, Tianjin-China, Melbourne, Buffalo-NY, Birmingham-UK, and Tampere-Finland.
- Etihad Airways (UAE): Consumer Analytics/Marketing Planning Manager - May 1, 2016.
Use customer analytics and insights to inform marketing and guest experience strategy.
- Top stories, Apr 24-30: How to Remove Duplicates in Large Datasets; The “Thinking” Part of “Thinking Like A Data Scientist” - May 1, 2016.
7 Steps to Mastering Machine Learning With Python; When Does Deep Learning Work Better Than SVMs or Random Forests; How to Remove Duplicates in Large Datasets; The "Thinking" Part of "Thinking Like A Data Scientist".
- Cartoon: When Automation Goes Too Far - Apr 30, 2016.
KDnuggets Cartoon looks into the future of Automated Data Science and Marketing - when will automation go too far?
- The Development of Classification as a Learning Machine - Apr 29, 2016.
An explanation of how classification developed as a learning machine, from LDA to the perceptron, on to logistic regression, and through to support vector machines.
- Dealing with Unbalanced Classes, SVMs, Random Forests, and Decision Trees in Python - Apr 29, 2016.
An overview of dealing with unbalanced classes, and implementing SVMs, Random Forests, and Decision Trees in Python.
- The Future of Your Data Strategy: Chief Data Officer Summit, San Francisco, May 26-27 - Apr 29, 2016.
The Chief Data Officer Summit is coming to San Francisco on May 26 & 27 with speakers from Amazon, eBay, The World Bank, Bing, PayPal, US. Dept of Commerce and many more. Get a 10% discount with code KD10.
- World Bank Opens a Treasure Trove of Data - Apr 29, 2016.
The World Bank just launched the beta of their Open Data site at beta.data.worldbank.org, built with React and Node.js by Wiredcraft.
- Survey: Why Companies Still Fail to Get Full Value From Big Data - Apr 29, 2016.
Any company that has decided to put efforts in data has to face bringing these projects from the design and development phase to the production phase at some point. So tell us how you do it. And we’ll tell you what we learned from you.
- Angoss 9.6 Data Science Software Suite - Apr 29, 2016.
Angoss software provides users with comprehensive scorecard building functionality that is fast, reliable, accurate, and business centric.
- University of Cincinnati Analytics Summit, May 20, 2016 - Apr 28, 2016.
The summit will feature 2 leaders in the field as keynote speakers, and 17 companies presenting in the all-day industry tracks focusing on retail and consumer analytics, healthcare analytics, supply chain analytics, finance and insurance analytics and a special "bonus" track.
- Positioning a Machine Learning Company - Apr 28, 2016.
The classic guide for entrepreneurs preparing a pitch is Sequoia’s Business Plan Template. This post aims to be a mere addendum to that in the age of machine learning.
- Data Scientist Survey: What Is An Interesting Result? - Apr 28, 2016.
A survey requesting feedback from data scientists on their opinion of what an interesting result is. The survey is anonymous, has only a single mandatory question, and takes only 5 minutes.
- Webinar: High Performance Hadoop With Python, May 5th - Apr 28, 2016.
On May 5th, Dr. Kristopher Overholt and Dr. Matthew Rocklin of Continuum Analytics will present a webinar on High Performance Hadoop with Python. Reserve your spot today!
- Building effective “Citizens Data Scientist” teams - Apr 28, 2016.
The idea of citizen data scientists is being for more than a year, which suggests businesses to put the people from the business side in the work of exploring and analyzing data. Understand how you and your organisation can be benefitted by this.
- Machine Learning for Artists – Video lectures and notes - Apr 28, 2016.
Art has always been deep for those who appreciate it... but now, more than ever, deep learning is making a real impact on the art world. Check out this graduate course, and its freely-available resources, focusing on this very topic.
- Eugenics – journey to the dark side at the dawn of statistics - Apr 27, 2016.
Today is the 80th anniversary of the death of Karl Pearson, one of the founding father of statistics (correlation coefficient, principal components, the p-value, and much more). He was also deeply involved with eugenics, a jarring reminder that truth often comes bundled with a measure of darkness.
- Three Pitfalls to Avoid When Building Data Science Into Your Business - Apr 27, 2016.
An overview of pitfalls to avoid when building data science into your business, how to avoid them, and what to do instead.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 12-26: The Race For AI: Google, Facebook, Amazon, Apple; Comprehensive Guide to Learning #Python - Apr 27, 2016.
Data Science helps see where your country will stand in WW 3; Recommender Systems: New Comprehensive Textbook; Good read: Deep Learning in Neural Networks - extreme summary; The Race For #AI: Google, Facebook, Amazon, Apple rush to grab #AI startups.
- How to Remove Duplicates in Large Datasets - Apr 27, 2016.
Dealing with huge datasets can be tricky, especially the data cleaning process. One of such processing is de-duplication, find out how you can solve this using the statistical techniques.
- Top Data Science Courses on Udemy - Apr 27, 2016.
An overview of the very best that Udemy has to offer in data science education. Includes courses covering machine learning, Python, Hadoop, visualization, and more.
- KDnuggets™ News 16:n15, Apr 27: Deep Learning vs. SVMs, Random Forests; Python Guide for Data Science - Apr 27, 2016.
When Does Deep Learning Work Better Than SVMs or Random Forests; Comprehensive Guide to Learning Python for Data Science; Top 10 IPython Notebook Tutorials for Data Science and Machine Learning; 5,000 KDnuggets Posts - Examining Our Most Popular Content
- The “Thinking” Part of “Thinking Like A Data Scientist” - Apr 26, 2016.
People have a tendency to blindly trust claims from any source that they deem credible, whether or not it conflicts with their own experiences or common sense. Basic stats - common sense = dangerous conclusions viewed as fact.
- Deep Learning in Neural Networks: An Overview - Apr 26, 2016.
This post summarizes Schmidhuber's now-classic (and still relevant) 35 page summary of 900 deep learning papers, giving an overview of the state of deep learning as of 2014. A great introduction to a great paper!
- 5,000 KDnuggets Posts – Examining Our Most Popular Analytics, Big Data, Data Science stories - Apr 25, 2016.
We mark 5000th KDnuggets Post on Wordpress platform and examine our most popular content - most viewed, most shared, and most viral.
- Microsoft is Becoming M(ai)crosoft - Apr 25, 2016.
This post is an overview and discussion of Microsoft's increasing investment in, and approach to, artificial intelligence, and how their philosophy differs from their competitors.
- Top stories for Apr 18-24: Top 15 Machine Learning Frameworks, Deep Learning vs. SVMs and Random Forests - Apr 25, 2016.
When Does Deep Learning Work Better Than SVMs or Random Forests?; Comprehensive Guide to Learning Python for Data Analysis and Data Science; Top 15 Frameworks for Machine Learning Experts; Top 10 IPython Notebook Tutorials for Data Science and Machine Learning
- Schwab: Director, Institutional Analytics - Apr 25, 2016.
Responsible for leading analytics and reporting projects related to several of Schwab financial product areas, including ETFs, mutual funds, managed accounts, fixed income, and insurance. The Director will lead a team to deliver thoughtful analysis, data-driven insights, actionable business recommendations, and strategic thought partnership.
- How machine learning is making bots more human - Apr 25, 2016.
See how machine learning is making bots more human than ever - read the interview with a 17-year-old Chinese girl named XiaoIce who is actually a artificially intelligent chatbot.
- Turn your company into a data science-driven business in 6 steps - Apr 25, 2016.
Transforming your business with (big) data analytics and data-driven insights is not a one-time event, but a journey. Here are 6 steps to help enterprises become data-science driven business and enjoy benefits along the way.
- Advantages of a Career in Data Science - Apr 23, 2016.
As the rampant growth of data science continues across industries, the opportunities are plenty for both aspiring and expert data scientists. Here is an overview of data science industries, opportunities and work locations.
- Early bird vortex of 4 predictive analytics events, Chicago, Jun 20-23 - Apr 22, 2016.
Chicago is whirling together four great analytics events on June 20-23, but early bird rates will blow away after May 6. Use KDN150 for additional savings.
- KxCon2016, International kdb+ programmer conference, May 19-22, Montauk, NY - Apr 22, 2016.
Kdb+ time-series database provides high performance analytics on very large-scale datasets. Kdb+ users and coders will gather for KxCon2016, 3 days of presentations and hands-on workshops.
- SNOPUD: Data and Analytics Consultant - Apr 22, 2016.
Seeking individual to use quantitative, data management and business intelligence techniques to solve analytical business problems and translate data into actionable insights for the entire organization and external partners.
- When Does Deep Learning Work Better Than SVMs or Random Forests? - Apr 22, 2016.
Some advice on when a deep neural network may or may not outperform Support Vector Machines or Random Forests.
- U. Tianjin: Faculty, Computer Science/Data Science - Apr 22, 2016.
Seeking a professor whose assignment will involve both general bachelor level courses as well as specialized research oriented master level courses. The successful candidate will be expected to mentor students and have proven teaching experience.
- 3 Signs That BI Will Never Be The Same Again - Apr 22, 2016.
Gartner officially deemed 2016 the year of Modern BI and with this new era of BI changes are inevitable. Understand how the traditional BI is reshaping in this data century with Scrollytelling, citizen data scientist and new BI approaches.
- Top 10 IPython Notebook Tutorials for Data Science and Machine Learning - Apr 22, 2016.
A list of 10 useful Github repositories made up of IPython (Jupyter) notebooks, focused on teaching data science and machine learning. Python is the clear target here, but general principles are transferable.
- Analyzing Log Data with Spark & Looker, Webinar May 18 - Apr 22, 2016.
Learn how to set up a modern pipeline that collects, processes, and analyzes high-volume, machine-generated data. We’ll talk about popular collection mechanisms, do a hands-on log-parsing example in Spark, and discuss how to use Looker to get insights from event data.
- ADMA Data Day – The Force Awakens: Sydney (Apr 27), Melbourne (Apr 29) - Apr 21, 2016.
Exciting addition to Data Day: CMO of The Walt Disney Company Australia/New Zealand will speak about re-igniting the iconic Star Wars brand, and how his team used insights to target marketing activities to a broad range of consumers, leading up to the launch of Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
- TMA Predictive Analytics and Data Mining Training – Washington DC, May 16-20, 23-24 - Apr 21, 2016.
Successful analytics in the big data era does not start with data and software, but with hands-on, immersive training and goal-driven strategy - get it from The Modeling Agency in Washington, DC, May 16-20 and May 23-24.
- Black Box Challenge Machine Learning Competition - Apr 21, 2016.
Take part in an unusual machine learning competition — program an agent (in Python) that can play a game with unknown rules.
- Holding Your Hand Like a Small Child Through a Neural Network – Part 2 - Apr 21, 2016.
The second of 2 posts expanding upon a now-classic neural network blog post and demonstration, guiding the reader through the workings of a simple neural network.
- Learn More About Pacific’s MS Analytics Program - Apr 21, 2016.
The MS in Analytics at Pacific develops students’ technical skills though courses such as Data Wrangling, Machine Learning, and Dynamic Visualization. Students gain hands-on experience and industry connections to become game changers across multiple industries.
- Best Data Science, Machine Learning Blogs from Companies and Startups - Apr 21, 2016.
A collection of company data science blogs to follow and read. Top blogs have links to, and excerpts from, recent quality posts of particular interest.
- Altria Group: Data Scientists (Advanced Analytics professionals) - Apr 20, 2016.
You think the secret to the universe is in a dataset somewhere. You are a leader and a story-teller; you know what makes things tick. You thrive on knowing that your insights could change how businesses look at their futures. If that sounds like you, then consider this outstanding career opportunity.
- Altria Group: Statisticians - Apr 20, 2016.
Our Consumer and Marketplace Insight department uses best-in-class, techniques to provide leading market research and supports the development of innovative and cutting edge solutions to uncover actionable consumer insights.
- DuPont: Sr. Software Developer – BioInformatics/Genomics (ABT00001643) - Apr 20, 2016.
Seeking a Senior Software Developer to work within agile software development teams to create and enhance software based on business-driven requirements, working closely with software architects, test engineers and product owners.
- Holding Your Hand Like a Small Child Through a Neural Network – Part 1 - Apr 20, 2016.
The first part of this 2 part series expands upon a now-classic neural network blog post and demonstration, guiding the reader through the foundational building blocks of a simple neural network.
- Metrics Gone Wrong – How Companies Are Optimizing The Wrong Way - Apr 20, 2016.
A critique of the over-abundant and misguided pursuit of metric completeness, and how it can result in incorrect "optimization."
- Comprehensive Guide to Learning Python for Data Analysis and Data Science - Apr 20, 2016.
Want to make a career change to Data Science using python? Well learning anything on your own can be a challenge & a little guidance could be a great help, that is exactly what this article will provide you with.
- KDnuggets™ News 16:n14, Apr 20: Top 15 Frameworks for Machine Learning Experts; How to Grow Your Own Data Scientists - Apr 20, 2016.
Top 15 Frameworks for Machine Learning Experts; How to Grow Your Own Data Scientists; Association Rules and the Apriori Algorithm: A Tutorial; Automated Machine Learning: Changing the Game.
- Does Your Company Need a Data Scientist? - Apr 19, 2016.
Your company needs a data scientist... doesn't it? It very well may not, but you need to know either way. Read on to determine whether or not your company could benefit from the skills of an on-board data scientist.
- Deep Learning for Chatbots, Part 1 – Introduction - Apr 19, 2016.
The first in a series of tutorial posts on using Deep Learning for chatbots, this covers some of the techniques being used to build conversational agents, and goes from the current state of affairs through to what is and is not possible.
- Uplift Modeling Opportunities at PAW Chicago, June 20-23, 2016, and PAW New York - Apr 19, 2016.
At Chicago's Predictive Analytics World for Business conference, June 20-23, 2016, and at New York’s PAW Business conference, uplift modeling will be covered in eight ways: across keynotes, sessions, and an article by PAW founder Eric Siegel. KDnuggets subscribers enjoy $150 off!
- Top 15 Frameworks for Machine Learning Experts - Apr 19, 2016.
Either you are a researcher, start-up or big organization who wants to use machine learning, you will need the right tools to make it happen. Here is a list of the most popular frameworks for machine learning.
- The MBA Data Science Toolkit: 8 resources to go from the spreadsheet to the command line - Apr 18, 2016.
A great guide for the MBA, or any relatively non-technical convert, for getting comfortable with the command line and other technical skills required to excel in data science.
- Microsoft: Senior Software Engineer, Bing - Apr 18, 2016.
What if your job description were simply “Make tomorrow better?” That’s the essence of roles within our Bing Team. Every day, we bring an insatiable curiosity to the table, challenging ourselves to reimagine what is and what can be. We drive machine intelligence. We help shape the future. We empower billions of people around the globe.
- Top stories for Apr 10-17: New Deep Learning Book Finished, Pocket Guide to Data Science - Apr 18, 2016.
New Deep Learning Book Finished; A Pocket Guide to Data Science; 7 Steps to Mastering Machine Learning With Python; From Science to Data Science, a Comprehensive Guide for Transition; Automated Machine Learning: Changing the Game
- Internet of Things: “Connected” Does Not Equal “Smart” - Apr 18, 2016.
"Connected" and "smart" are not synonyms, and bridging the gap takes a lot of upfront work; but with work invested in identifying, understanding and supporting the key decisions, the more productive the data science will be.
- Welcome to the New GraphDB 7 from Ontotext - Apr 18, 2016.
We are proud to introduce our GraphDB 7.0, the newest generation of semantic graph databases - it makes Powerful for Big Data Analytics a lot easier. Learn more at Apr 21 and Apr 28 webinars.
- Using Big Data Analytics To Prevent Crimes The “Minority Report” Way - Apr 18, 2016.
The idea of using artificial intelligence for the crime prevention has been around for more than a decade. In this post, we present four examples, including how using analytics, we can prevent a criminal from re-offending.
- Corios: Data Engineer - Apr 18, 2016.
Seeking a data engineer, responsible for implementing data extraction, transformation, and load for clients in regulated industries such as financial services, insurance, retail, and energy sectors.
- Corios: Data Architect - Apr 18, 2016.
Seeking a data architect, responsible for the design and quality of data solutions such as analytic data marts, to lead the implementation of Corios' data solutions for clients in regulated industries.
- Corios: Junior Analytics Consultant - Apr 18, 2016.
Seeking a candidate for an entry-level analytics consulting role; candidate will prepare and analyze data, interpret results, document findings and recommendations, and participate in client meetings and workshops.
- Big Data Bootcamp, Dallas, May 13-15 - Apr 18, 2016.
This is a fast paced, vendor agnostic, technical overview of the Big Data landscape. No prior knowledge of databases or programming is assumed. Use code KDNUGGETS to save.
- SUNY Buffalo: Postdoctoral Associate in Data Mining and Bioinformatics - Apr 17, 2016.
Developing machine learning and mathematics methodologies to address the computational challenges of analyzing massive genomic data for various biomedical applications.
- DuPont: Research Scientist/ Visualization Specialist – TRIAD - Apr 16, 2016.
Provide leadership and drive delivery of scientific data visualizations, including geospatial, bioinformatics, population, and weather, for DuPont Pioneer research reporting.
- Weekend Reading List: Free eBooks and Other Online Resources - Apr 16, 2016.
Do you have free time for reading this weekend? Here are a few new (or refreshed) selections of varying length for your leisure, along with a pair of papers, one cutting edge, and one classic.
- Introducing @KDnuggetsJobs, Data Science Job Finding Tool - Apr 15, 2016.
KDnuggets is happy to introduce another tool for our readers in the process of looking for jobs: the @KDnuggetsJobs Twitter account, dedicated to sharing our Analytics, Data Science, and Big Data job listings.
- Early bird deadline approaching – Chicago’s vortex of 4 analytics events - Apr 15, 2016.
Chicago is whirling together four analytics events, June 20-23, 2016. Don't let the bird rates fly away - register by May 6 for best rates and getting extra saving with code KDN150.
- 12 Inspiring Women In Data Science, Big Data - Apr 15, 2016.
It’s been well documented that women don’t come close to parity in STEM fields with their counterparts. Could the rise of big data and data science offer women a clearer path to success in technology? Here’s a list of 12 inspiring women who work in big data and data
- Recommender Systems: New Comprehensive Textbook by Charu Aggarwal - Apr 15, 2016.
Covers recommender systems comprehensively, both fundamentals and advanced topics, organized into: Algorithms and evaluation, recommendations in specific domains and contexts, and advanced topics and applications.
- What Developers Actually Need to Know About Machine Learning - Apr 14, 2016.
Some guidance on what, exactly, it is that developers need to know to get up to speed with machine learning.
- Association Rules and the Apriori Algorithm: A Tutorial - Apr 14, 2016.
A great and clearly-presented tutorial on the concepts of association rules and the Apriori algorithm, and their roles in market basket analysis.