Data Mining Software (May 2000)
|Do you use [400 votes total]|
|IBM Iminer (37)
|SAS EM (55)
|SGI Mineset (19)
Other tools mentioned in the other category included
- Alice Isoft (part of Business Objects)
- MATLAB PLS toolbox
- Model 1
- Oracle Darwin
- NeuralWare's Professional II+
- SPSS 10.0 and AnswerTree
Tool Comments, or Where is My Tool?
- SAS Enterprise Miner has a great graphical interface for iterative mining, allowing business analysts to utilize powerful modeling techniques with good default parms, but also giving the PhD expert-types the control for the advanced stuff.
- SAS EM is fast and has a great collection of algorithms - but the user interface needs much polishing.
- Where is AnswerTree and SPSS 10.0? I use these for my data Mining activities. Answertree has CHAID, C&RT, and Quest for pretty visual decision Trees.
- Clementine is relatively easy to use and provides good breadth of capabilities at a reasonable price. Everything about SAS is too expensive. IBM has a lot of capabilities, but it's harder to effectively use.
- Clementine is very good and has tremendous potential. The company was recently purchased by SPSS, giving it increased momentum and exposure.
- Where is Alice from Isoft (http://www.alice-soft.com)? Alice is imbedded in Business Objects thereby totalling more users than any other package.
- DataEngine offers many Data Mining techniques!
- why is GainSmarts not on it? It won the KDD Cup twice and 45 companies are using it in USA, Europe and Asia.
- IBM IM is best, it's collection of function is richest and it's IBM
- Use Search in Microsiris
- finally a poll I will consider participating in, since the sampled population (KDD types) are actually the ones who have some specific knowledge of the area.
- It would be useful if a survey such as this would discriminate types of user, eg data mining technician, market analyst, ...
- Easy to use, good interface but algorithms need to be more sophisticated, e.g. pruning of trees. So need better visualisation of learned models
Data Mining Software (May 30-June 12, 2000)
Copyright © 2002 KDnuggets. Subscribe to KDnuggets News!