- Deep Learning, Artificial Intuition and the Quest for AGI - Feb 20, 2017.
Deep Learning systems exhibit behavior that appears biological despite not being based on biological material. It so happens that humanity has luckily stumbled upon Artificial Intuition in the form of Deep Learning.
- Why Go Long on Artificial Intelligence? - Feb 17, 2017.
We are now at the right place and time for AI to be the set of technology advancements that can help us solve challenges where answers reside in data. While we have already seen a few AI bull and bear markets since the 50’s, this time it’s different. If I and others are right, the implications are immensely valuable for all.
- KDnuggets™ News 17:n05, Feb 8: Identifying Better Predictors; 5 Career Paths in Big Data, Data Science Explained - Feb 8, 2017.
Identifying Variables That Might Be Better Predictors; 5 Career Paths in Big Data and Data Science, Explained; 5 Free Courses for Getting Started in Artificial Intelligence; 3 practical thoughts on why deep learning performs so well
- Is Deep Learning the Silver Bullet? - Feb 1, 2017.
With nearly every every smart young computer scientist planning to work on deep learning, are there really still artificial intelligence researchers working on other techniques? Is deep learning the AI silver bullet?
- 5 Free Courses for Getting Started in Artificial Intelligence - Feb 1, 2017.
A carefully-curated list of 5 free collections of university course material to help you better understand the various aspects of what artificial intelligence and skills necessary for moving forward in the field.
- Avoiding Another AI Winter - Jan 30, 2017.
This post is a look at the factors -- public fears and a loss of investor appetite -- that could thwart AI progress... if we don’t pay them enough attention.
- Artificial Intelligence and Speech Recognition for Chatbots: A Primer - Jan 26, 2017.
Bot bots bots... Read this overview of how artificial intelligence and natural language processing are contributing to chatbot development, and where it all goes from here.
- Creating Curious Machines: Building Information-seeking Agents - Jan 24, 2017.
Researchers at Maluuba are developing ways to teach artificial agents how to seek information actively, by asking questions. This includes a deep neural agent that learns to accomplish these tasks through efficient information-seeking behaviour, a vital step towards Artificial General Intelligence.
- Chatbots on Steroids: 10 Key Machine Learning Capabilities to Fuel Your Chatbot - Jan 23, 2017.
As chatbots become a common practice, the need for smarter bots arises. Empowering your bot with machine learning capabilities can really differentiate it from the rest. Check out these 10 capabilities to help fuel your chatbot.
- The Data Science Puzzle, Revisited - Jan 20, 2017.
The data science puzzle is re-examined through the relationship between several key concepts in the realm, and incorporates important updates and observations from the past year. The result is a modified explanatory graphic and rationale.
- AI, Data Science, Machine Learning: Main Developments in 2016, Key Trends in 2017 - Jan 10, 2017.
2017 is here. Check out an encore installation in our "Main Developments in 2016 and Key Trends in 2017" series, where experts weigh in with their opinions.
- Machine Learning Meets Humans – Insights from HUML 2016 - Jan 6, 2017.
Report from an important IEEE workshop on Human Use of Machine Learning, covering trust, responsibility, the value of explanation, safety of machine learning, discrimination in human vs. machine decision making, and more.
Pages: 1 2
- The Five Capability Levels of Deep Learning Intelligence - Dec 22, 2016.
Deep learning writer Carlos Perez gives his own classification for deep learning-based AI, which is aimed at practitioners. This classification gives us a sense of where we currently are and where we might be heading.
- Machine Learning & Artificial Intelligence: Main Developments in 2016 and Key Trends in 2017 - Dec 20, 2016.
As 2016 comes to a close and we prepare for a new year, check out the final instalment in our "Main Developments in 2016 and Key Trends in 2017" series, where experts weigh in with their opinions.
- Artificial Intelligence and Life in 2030 - Dec 15, 2016.
Read this engaging overview of a report from the Stanford University 100 year study of Artificial Intelligence, “a long-term investigation of the field of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and its influences on people, their communities, and society.”
- What You Are Too Afraid to Ask About Artificial Intelligence (Part II): Neuroscience - Dec 14, 2016.
As a followup to Part 1, which covered the advancements in machine learning, this post gives considers comprehension of the brain mechanisms. We have an ever-increasing understanding of brain processes, which may help to foster the development of an AGI.
- Global AI Conference, Santa Clara, Jan 19-21 2017 - Dec 13, 2016.
Get up to speed on emerging AI technologies, develop new technical skills, learn best practices at vendor-agnostic Global Artificial Intelligence Conference, Jan 19-21, 2017 in Santa Clara. Use code KDNUGGETS to register and save.
- What You Are Too Afraid to Ask About Artificial Intelligence (Part I): Machine Learning - Dec 7, 2016.
In the first of a 2 part series, this post will briefly discuss major advancements in pure machine learning techniques - while a followup post will similarly treat neuroscience - both with an agnostic lens.
- Top /r/MachineLearning Posts, November: StarCraft II for AI Research; Google AI Experiments Website; Google in Montreal - Dec 5, 2016.
DeepMind and Blizzard to release StarCraft II as an AI research environment; Google AI Experiments Website; Google opens new Montreal-based AI research lab; Lip Reading Sentences in the Wild; Clean implementations of machine learning algorithms
- Top 10 Amazon Books in Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning, 2016 Edition - Nov 30, 2016.
Given the ongoing explosion in interest for all things Data Science, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, etc., we have updated our Amazon top books lists from last year. Here are the 10 most popular titles in the AI & Machine Learning category.
- 13 Forecasts on Artificial Intelligence - Nov 15, 2016.
Once upon a time, Artificial Intelligence (AI) was the future. But today, human wants to see even beyond this future. This article try to explain how everyone is thinking about the future of AI in next five years, based on today’s emerging trends and developments in IoT, robotics, nanotech and machine learning.
Pages: 1 2
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 2-8: 35 #OpenSource tools for Internet of Things; An Introduction to Ensemble Learners - Nov 9, 2016.
21 Must-Know #DataScience Interview Questions with Answers; Big Data Science: Expectation vs. Reality; Big #DataScience: Expectation vs. Reality; The 10 Algorithms #MachineLearning Engineers Need to Know.
- Agilience Top Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning Authorities - Nov 7, 2016.
Agilience developed a new way to find authorities in social media across many fields of interest. In previous post we reviewed the top authorities in Data Mining and Data science; in this post we review top authorities in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning which includes Vineet Vashishta, Kirk D. Borne, KDnuggets, James Kobielus, Kaggle and more.
Pages: 1 2
- Artificial Intelligence Classification Matrix - Nov 3, 2016.
There might be several different ways to think around machine intelligence startups; too narrow of a framework might be counterproductive given the flexibility of the sector and the facility of transitioning from one group to another. Check out this categorization matrix.
- When Will We Bow To Our Machine Overlords? - Oct 25, 2016.
"I, for one, welcome our new computer overlords." Far from being our overlords, machines are our societal companion, our partner that supports our success and supports the functioning of our society. But the support the machine gives us is rudimentary at best.
- KDnuggets™ News 16:n37, Oct 19: Top Data Science Videos; 12 Interesting Big Data Careers; Deep Learning Key Terms - Oct 19, 2016.
Top 10 Data Science Videos on YouTube; Top 12 Interesting Careers to Explore in Big Data; Deep Learning Key Terms, Explained; Artificial Intelligence, Deep Learning, and Neural Networks, Explained; MLDB: The Machine Learning Database
- Artificial Intelligence, Deep Learning, and Neural Networks, Explained - Oct 14, 2016.
This article is meant to explain the concepts of AI, deep learning, and neural networks at a level that can be understood by most non-practitioners, and can also serve as a reference or review for technical folks as well.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 24-30: #DataScientist – sexiest job of the 21st century until …; Activation Function in #NeuralNetworks. - Aug 31, 2016.
Cartoon: #DataScientist - sexiest job of the 21st century until ...; What is the Role of the Activation Function in Neural Networks?; LinkedIn Machine Learning team tutorial on building #Recommender system; Create a #Chatbot for #Telegram in #Python to Summarize Text.
- Is “Artificial Intelligence” Dead? Long Live Deep Learning?!? - Aug 26, 2016.
Has Deep Learning become synonymous with Artificial Intelligence? Read a discussion on the topic fuelled by the opinions of 7 participating experts, and gain some additional insight into the future of research and technology.
Pages: 1 2
- Artificial Intelligence: Useful Technology or the Next Frankenstein? - Aug 15, 2016.
For a refreshingly insightful and honest answer this question, just ask Facebook's founder Mark Zuckerberg.
- O’Reilly AI: Last chance to get Early Price - Aug 15, 2016.
This is your last chance to get early pricing at the O'Reilly AI conference happening in New York September 26-27. Space is limited, so register now!
- Robots Need “Common Sense” AI to Work Out Our Uncertain World - Aug 12, 2016.
At the Machine Intelligence Summit in Berlin last week, Jeremy Wyatt, Professor of Robotics and Artificial Intelligence at University of Birmingham, was asked a few questions about his work in mobile robot task planning and manipulation.
- Common Sense in Artificial Intelligence… by 2026? - Aug 4, 2016.
An insightful opinion piece on the future of common sense in AI. A recommended read by an authority in the field.
- O’Reilly AI: Last chance to get Best Price - Jul 18, 2016.
This week is your last chance to get the Best Price for the O'Reilly Artificial Intelligence Conference happening in New York September 26-27. Register with your KDnuggets discount code now!
- 10 Algorithm Categories for A.I., Big Data, and Data Science - Jul 14, 2016.
With a focus on leveraging algorithms and balancing human and AI capital, here are the top 10 algorithm categories used to implement A.I., Big Data, and Data Science.
- A Survey of Available Corpora for Building Data-driven Dialogue Systems - Jul 12, 2016.
This post is a summary of Serban, et al. "A Survey of Available Corpora for Building Data-Driven Dialogue Systems," which is of increasing relevance given the recent state of conversational AI.
Pages: 1 2
- Glimpses & Impressions: Strata Silicon Valley AI + ML Review – Part Two - Jul 8, 2016.
Read some impressions from onsite visits to 2 companies during Strata Silicon Valley in March: Novumind and Numenta.
- AI for Fun & Profit: Using the new Genie Cognitive Computing Platform for P2P Lending - Jul 8, 2016.
This tutorials uses the recently-released Genie (an acronym for General Evolving Networked Intelligence Engine) platform to learn from P2P (peer-to-peer) loan data. Experts and non-experts alike can leverage Genie to analyze Big Data, recognize objects, events, and patterns, and more.
Pages: 1 2 3
- Glimpses & Impressions: Strata Silicon Valley AI + ML Review – Part One - Jul 7, 2016.
Read some impressions from a visit to Strata Silicon Valley in March. The focus is on integration of data science and machine learning tools, as well as the simplification of related processes.
Pages: 1 2
- Machine Learning Trends and the Future of Artificial Intelligence - Jun 22, 2016.
The confluence of data flywheels, the algorithm economy, and cloud-hosted intelligence means every company can now be a data company, every company can now access algorithmic intelligence, and every app can now be an intelligent app.
- How Much Will A.I. Surprise Us? - Jun 15, 2016.
Why think about what neural networks (and AI in general) can do that we can already do, when he real question that we should be asking is this: What will A.I. be able to do that we can’t even dream of?
- Figuring Out the Algorithms of Intelligence - Jun 15, 2016.
Marvin Minsky, the father of AI, passed away this year. One of his inventions was the confocal microscope, which we used to take this high-resolution picture of a live brain circuit. Something in these cells allows them to automatically identify useful connections and establish useful networks out of information.
- Deep Learning, Pachinko, and James Watt: Efficiency is the Driver of Uncertainty - Jun 8, 2016.
A reasoned discussion of why the next generation of data efficient learning approaches rely on us developing new algorithms that can propagate stochasticity or uncertainty right through the model, and which are mathematically more involved than the standard approaches.
Pages: 1 2
- Let Me Hear Your Voice and I’ll Tell You How You Feel - May 24, 2016.
This post provides an overview of a voice tone analyzer implemented as part of a cohesive emotion detection system, directly from the researcher and architect.
- Are Deep Neural Networks Creative? - May 12, 2016.
Deep neural networks routinely generate images and synthesize text. But does this amount to creativity? Can we reasonably claim that deep learning produces art?
- From Insight-as-a-Service to Insightful Applications - May 5, 2016.
Applications that combine machine learning, AI, and domain knowledge have strong potential for industry and investors.
Pages: 1 2
- Microsoft is Becoming M(ai)crosoft - Apr 25, 2016.
This post is an overview and discussion of Microsoft's increasing investment in, and approach to, artificial intelligence, and how their philosophy differs from their competitors.
- The Data Science Puzzle, Explained - Mar 10, 2016.
The puzzle of data science is examined through the relationship between several key concepts in the data science realm. As we will see, far from being concrete concepts etched in stone, divergent opinions are inevitable; this is but another opinion to consider.
Pages: 1 2
- $5 Million for Helping Humanity through Artificial Intelligence - Feb 26, 2016.
IBM Watson A.I. XPRIZE contest will reward $5 million in prize money to the best applications of AI in solving world’s greatest challenges.
- How IBM Watson is Taking on The World - Feb 18, 2016.
We have made tremendous progress in the field of data analysis and on the other, our technology is getting smart. IBM has taken a solid stride in the direction of Artificial Intelligence by unveiling its supercomputer IBM Watson, learn what it can do, its adopters and what it holds for the future.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 1-7: On Facebook people are separated by only 3.5 degrees; Tribute to Marvin Minsky, co-founder of AI - Feb 8, 2016.
The Most Funded #Tech #Startup In every US state; Tableau, Qlik, Microsoft leaders in Gartner 2016 BI, #Analytics Platforms; Tribute to Marvin Minsky 1927-2016, co-founder of Artificial Intelligence; No more #6degrees! On Facebook people are separated by only 3.5 degrees.
- The Top A.I. Breakthroughs of 2015 - Feb 2, 2016.
Learn about the biggest developments of 2015 in the field of Artificial Intelligence.
Pages: 1 2 3
- Top /r/MachineLearning Posts, January: Google Masters Go, Deep Learning Laughs, OpenAI AMA - Feb 1, 2016.
In January on /r/MachineLearning: Go gets mastered, deep learning laughs, an OpenAI team AMA, convolutional neural nets colorize black and white photos, and the AI community loses a leader.
- Deep Feelings On Deep Learning - Jan 25, 2016.
A thoughtful opinion piece on deep learning and its role in Strong AI. A pragmatic view of deep learning and its comparison to competing learning strategies is presented.
- The Unreasonable Reputation of Neural Networks - Jan 20, 2016.
A discussion of why deep neural networks are captivating imaginations everywhere, specifically their abilities to model many natural functions well and to learn surprisingly useful representations.
- What Is Machine Intelligence Vs. Machine Learning Vs. Deep Learning Vs. Artificial Intelligence (AI)? - Jan 14, 2016.
A discussion of three major approaches to building smart machines - Classic AI, Simple Neural Networks, and Biological Neural Networks - and examples as to how each approach might address the same problem.
- Top /r/MachineLearning Posts, December: The Secret Sauce, OpenAI, Google vs. Facebook - Jan 4, 2016.
December on /r/MachineLearning: Is TensorFlow Google's "secret sauce?", AI leaders unite, an extensive curated list of machine learning resources grows, Google vs. Facebook, and Deep Q Pong.
- The Data Science Conference 2015 Highlights - Nov 18, 2015.
Here are the highlights from The Data Science Conference 2015, Nov 12-13 at University of Chicago. A two-day conference on Data Science, big data, machine learning, artificial intelligence & predictive modeling discussions -"for professionals" by professionals.
- Amazon Top 20 Books in AI & Machine Learning - Nov 2, 2015.
These are the most popular AI & machine learning books on Amazon. Have a look... you may find something of interest here.
- Best Big Data, Data Science, Data Mining, and Machine Learning podcasts - Jun 9, 2015.
We present the top 12 Data Science & Machine Learning related Podcasts by popularity on iTunes. Check out latest episodes to stay up-to-date & become a part of the data conversations!
- KDnuggets Poll: Future of Predictive Analytics: Human or Machine? - Apr 21, 2015.
The robots are taking over many jobs - will they take yours and mine? New KDnuggets Poll is asking if and when automation will reach the level of human data scientists.
- Automatic Statistician is here: Dr. Mo - Mar 21, 2015.
Dr. Mo, Automatic Statistician is here! Using Artificial Intelligence, self-learning algorithm, multimodel technology Dr. Mo achieves Super Accuracy and Speed. Simple use and simple output for non-statisticians.
- Facebook Open Sources deep-learning modules for Torch - Feb 9, 2015.
We review Facebook recently released Torch module for Deep Learning, which helps researchers train large scale convolutional neural networks for image recognition, natural language processing and other AI applications.
- Cartoon: Hello, Singularity - Jan 11, 2015.
New KDnuggets cartoon takes a look at what can happen when Artificial Intelligence (AI) achieves Singularity.
- AI Says Data Scientists Not So Sexy in 2015 - Jan 10, 2015.
In 2015, democratization of data will become the democratization of information, data-hoarding era will be end and artificial intelligence will step into the mainstream.
- Majority thinks Artificial Intelligence will not be a threat to Humanity - Jan 7, 2015.
The plurality of 48% in latest KDnuggets poll say Artificial Intelligence will not be a threat to Humanity, but really interesting and scary questions have been raised - perhaps humanity is a threat to progress?
- Stanford’s AI100: Century-Long Study on Effects of Artificial Intelligence on Human Life - Dec 26, 2014.
Stanford unveils new 100 year study on the impact of artificial intelligence, particularly on democracy, privacy, the military. Surprisingly, perspectives from outside the AI community are absent from the initial panel.
- Eric Siegel vs Stephen Hawking on the risk of artificial intelligence - Dec 19, 2014.
Eric Siegel comments on current controversy whether AI is a threat to human race, says AI is safe. Whether you agree or not, vote in KDnuggets Poll: Is AI a threat?
- New Poll: Will Artificial Intelligence be a threat to Humanity? - Dec 12, 2014.
New KDnuggets Poll is asking - Will Artificial Intelligence be a threat to Humanity? Please vote if you are human.
- Virginia Tech: Faculty in AI/Machine Learning, Software Engineering, Data Analytics - Oct 16, 2014.
Virginia Tech seeks applicants for one tenure-track and two tenured faculty positions in three areas: artificial intelligence/machine learning, software engineering, and data analytics/cyber security.
- Does Deep Learning Have Deep Flaws? - Jun 19, 2014.
A recent study of neural networks found that for every correctly classified image, one can generate an "adversarial", visually indistinguishable image that will be misclassified. This suggests potential deep flaws in all neural networks, including possibly a human brain.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 5-6: xkcd looks at Love and Statistics; Analytics job applicants – avoid these mistakes - May 7, 2014.
xkcd looks at Love and Statistics: Why it is important to label your axes; Analytics job applicants - avoid these common mistakes; Stanford Online Courses: Education + Advanced Skills = Awesome Career; Landmark for AI: computer system solves Algebra word problems.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Mar 17-18: NSA metadata can find medical/financial conditions; Machine Learning in 7 Pictures - Mar 19, 2014.
Stanford students show NSA metadata can find medical, financial conditions; Machine Learning in 7 Pictures ; Social Networks are investing big in Artificial Intelligence; 7 Key Skills of Effective Data Scientists.
- KDnuggets Exclusive: Part 2 of the Interview with Yann LeCun - Feb 20, 2014.
We discuss how far AI is likely to go, how Data Science to Statistics is like Computer Science was to Math, Big Data hype and reality, and advice to beginning Data Scientists.
- Cartoon: Watson and Artificial vs Natural Intelligence - Jan 24, 2014.
New KDnuggets cartoon looks at Watson and compares Artificial and Natural Thinking.