- Career Advice for Analytics & Data Science Professionals - Feb 13, 2017.
In our experience working with many quantitative professionals over the years, the two main areas that contribute to long-term career growth are networking and continuous learning. Here is specific advice on how to do this and tips for Continuous Learning.
- KDnuggets™ News 17:n05, Feb 8: Identifying Better Predictors; 5 Career Paths in Big Data, Data Science Explained - Feb 8, 2017.
Identifying Variables That Might Be Better Predictors; 5 Career Paths in Big Data and Data Science, Explained; 5 Free Courses for Getting Started in Artificial Intelligence; 3 practical thoughts on why deep learning performs so well
- How to get your first job in Data Science? - Feb 6, 2017.
We provide guidelines for the most important questions, including the key data scientist skills and tools, how to get them, how to learn and practice, and where to send your application.
- Springboard launches data science bootcamp with a job guarantee - Dec 12, 2016.
Springboard Data Science Career Track is the first online data science bootcamp that offers a job guarantee to its graduates. Springboard tracked 50 graduates and saw that all got a job within 6 months, with a median increase of $18,000 in first-year salary.
- 10 Tips to Improve your Data Science Interview - Nov 29, 2016.
Interviewing is a skill. Here are 10 tips and resources to improve your Data Science interviews.
- NEW: 6 Hot Career Prospects in Data Science Industry Today - Nov 18, 2016.
You read that Data Scientist is “The Sexiest Job of The 21st Century”, but there are other jobs profiles and opportunities in Data Science – read about these roles, responsibilities, skills, salary prospects and market demand (also pretty sexy!).
Pages: 1 2
- Data Scientists vs Data Analysts – Part 1 - Nov 11, 2016.
With employers trying to keep up with current data science trends, are data scientists just renamed data analysts? Part 1 of an investigation focuses on the top level numbers and pretty visualisations to highlight key differences.
- Chief Data Officer Toolkit: Leading the Digital Business Transformation – Part 2 - Nov 4, 2016.
Read the second and final part of this overview of the CDO Toolkit, which integrates the disciplines of economics and analytics to help the CDO to ascertain the economic value of the organization’s data and data sources.
Pages: 1 2
- Learn Data Science for Excellence and not just for the Exams - Oct 31, 2016.
Are you currently pursuing your masters in Data Science? Overwhelmed with Buzzwords and Information? Don’t know where and how to start your study? Then start with this article and a starter kit provided, but learn it for excellence and not just for the exams.
Pages: 1 2
- Chief Data Officer Toolkit: Leading the Digital Business Transformation – Part 1 - Oct 24, 2016.
CDOs are the new hot role to rock. Read about the CDO Toolkit, which integrates the disciplines of economics and analytics to help the CDO to ascertain the economic value of the organization’s data and data sources.
Pages: 1 2
- Evolution of the Data Scientist Through the Decade: What’s Changed - Oct 20, 2016.
Evolution is the truth of mankind and it’s inevitable. We all are evolutionizing everyday biologically as well as technologically and so do our roles and responsibilities. Here is the summary of evolution of Data Scientist role and it’s hiring trends in industry throughout the decade.
Pages: 1 2
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 12-18: #DeepLearning Key Terms, Explained; Free Foundations of #DataScience text PDF - Oct 20, 2016.
#DeepLearning Key Terms, Explained; Free Foundations of #DataScience text PDF; Top 12 Interesting Careers to Explore in #BigData; #ICYMI The 10 Algorithms #MachineLearning Engineers Need to Know
- KDnuggets™ News 16:n37, Oct 19: Top Data Science Videos; 12 Interesting Big Data Careers; Deep Learning Key Terms - Oct 19, 2016.
Top 10 Data Science Videos on YouTube; Top 12 Interesting Careers to Explore in Big Data; Deep Learning Key Terms, Explained; Artificial Intelligence, Deep Learning, and Neural Networks, Explained; MLDB: The Machine Learning Database
- KDnuggets™ News 16:n34, Sep 21: The Great Algorithm Tutorial Roundup; 7 Steps to Mastering Apache Spark 2.0 - Sep 21, 2016.
The Great Algorithm Tutorial Roundup; 7 Steps to Mastering Apache Spark 2.0; Machine Learning in a Year: From Total Noob to Effective Practitioner; Learning From Data (Introductory Machine Learning) Caltech MOOC
- How to Become a Data Scientist – Part 3 - Sep 6, 2016.
This is the third and final part of a thorough, in-depth overview of becoming a data scientist, written by a recruiter in the field. This part focuses on the job market.
Pages: 1 2 3
- How to Become a Data Scientist – Part 2 - Aug 30, 2016.
Check out part 2 of this excellent series of articles on becoming a data scientist, written by someone who spends their day recruiting data scientists. This installation focuses on learning.
Pages: 1 2
- How to Become a Data Scientist – Part 1 - Aug 22, 2016.
Check out this excellent (and exhaustive) article on becoming a data scientist, written by someone who spends their day recruiting data scientists. Do yourself a favor and read the whole way through. You won't regret it!
Pages: 1 2 3 4
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 10-16: 5 EBooks to Read Before Getting into a #DataScience or #BigData Career - Aug 17, 2016.
5 EBooks to Read Before Getting into a #DataScience or #BigData Career; Visualizing 1 Billion Points of #Data Webinar; #Cartoon: Make Data Great Again!; The role of the activation function in a #NeuralNetwork
- Does Data Scientist Mean What You Think It Means? - Aug 16, 2016.
Do we have an accurate idea of what "data scientist" actually means? Read this thought-provoking opinion on the topic.
- Stanford Webinar – Supersize Your Career with Big Data Opportunities - Aug 9, 2016.
Sign up for this upcoming webinar which will outline the variety of big data programs offered by Stanford to working professionals and answer common questions.
- Building a Data Science Portfolio: Machine Learning Project Part 3 - Jul 22, 2016.
The final installment of this comprehensive overview on building an end-to-end data science portfolio project focuses on bringing it all together, and concludes the project quite nicely.
Pages: 1 2
- Building a Data Science Portfolio: Machine Learning Project Part 2 - Jul 21, 2016.
The second part of this comprehensive overview on building an end-to-end data science portfolio project concentrates on data exploration and preparation.
Pages: 1 2
- Building a Data Science Portfolio: Machine Learning Project Part 1 - Jul 20, 2016.
Dataquest's founder has put together a fantastic resource on building a data science portfolio. This first of three parts lays the groundwork, with subsequent posts over the following 2 days. Very comprehensive!
Pages: 1 2
- 2016’s Best Places for Data Scientist Jobs - Jul 15, 2016.
Get the info on the Best Places in the U.S. for Data Scientist Jobs with GoodCall's new data-driven report.
- Resume Tips for Early Career Analytics Professionals - May 16, 2016.
Trying to put together your first resume or two after graduation can be tricky. Without a lot of relevant work experience to highlight, sometimes none at all, graduates often wonder how they can adequately impress hiring managers with their analytics capabilities.
- KDnuggets™ News 16:n17, May 11: Machine Learning Algorithms From Scratch; Big Data Leaders on LinkedIn; Data Science Career - May 11, 2016.
Why Implement Machine Learning Algorithms From Scratch? Meet the 11 Big Data, Data Science Leaders on LinkedIn; Free Advice For Building Your Data Science Career; 10 Essential Books for Data Enthusiast.
- Data Scientists – future-proof yourselves - May 10, 2016.
Here are 7 suggestions for Data Scientist to make themselves future-proof and get skills for a successful Data Science career in the future.
- Free Advice For Building Your Data Science Career - May 4, 2016.
Got hired as data scientist, where to go now from here? Understand how you can make the most of your career by following the different paths like managerial, consulting, or as a domain expert.
- How Much do Analytics Salaries Increase when Changing Jobs? - May 4, 2016.
A data-informed analysis of analytics career salaries and their increase when changing jobs.
- How to Network and Build a Personal Brand in Data Science - May 2, 2016.
SpringBoard shares some ideas on how to network and build a data career, as taken from a new guide they have put together on the topic.
- Advantages of a Career in Data Science - Apr 23, 2016.
As the rampant growth of data science continues across industries, the opportunities are plenty for both aspiring and expert data scientists. Here is an overview of data science industries, opportunities and work locations.
- Analytics Hiring Strong, Staying In One Job Is Weak - Mar 21, 2016.
With more companies jumping on the data-driven bandwagon, companies have been creating new roles and new data science and analytics teams. It is right time to make your move and land up in your dream job.
- Career Advice to Data Scientists – Go Make More Money - Mar 16, 2016.
Data Scientist should offer the enterprise more than the ability (and cost) of doing analysis, but behave as an executive with expertise in analysis and help lead the enterprise on decisions, investments, and operations.
- Practical Career Advice and Best Practices in Analytics - Mar 10, 2016.
Being an analyst is not only a technical job it also has a peoples side to it. Given that many MBAs, engineers, and even non-quantitative graduates are interested in Analytics careers, we are sharing some advice on best practices for excelling with Analytics in your career.
- Data Science Highlights of Stack Overflow Survey: Machine Learning Has Highest Job Satisfaction - Feb 23, 2016.
The 2015 Stack Overflow Developer Survey gathered data from more than 26,000 respondents. Full stack developers, mobile developers, front end developers... and even data scientists and machine learning developers participated. Check out these 3 interesting insights.
- Details on First Data Science Job Salary - Jan 29, 2016.
A person new to the Data Science field details their salary and the negotiation process.
Pages: 1 2
- A Look Back on the 1st Three Months of Becoming a Data Scientist - Jan 13, 2016.
A person new to the Data Science field summarizes his surprising findings after a few months on the job.
- Interview: Stefan Groschupf, Datameer on Why Domain Expertise is More Important than Algorithms - Aug 6, 2015.
We discuss large-scale data architectures in 2020, career path, open source involvement, advice, and more.
- Interview: Brian Kursar, Toyota on Big Data & Advanced Analytics – Cornerstones of Innovation - Jul 28, 2015.
We discuss the Big Data architecture at Toyota, executives’ perception of Analytics, Toyota Innovation Fair, advice, trends, and more.
- Interview: Thanigai Vellore, Art.com on Why Big Data vs RDBMS is the Wrong Question - Jul 24, 2015.
We discuss success factors with polyglot architectures, Big Data challenges, recommendations for using Big Data technologies, trends, advice, and more.
- Interview: Ali Vanderveld, Groupon on How Data Science is Changing the Global E-commerce Marketplace - Jul 17, 2015.
We discuss the tools used for data science, competitive landscape, journey from astrophysics to data science, advice, skills sought in data scientists, and more.
- Interview: Joseph Babcock, Netflix on Curiosity and Courage – Key for Success in Data Science - Jun 17, 2015.
We discuss discovery vs. personalization, advice, trends, desired skills in data scientists, and more.
- Is Analytics Career Right for You? - Jun 12, 2015.
An analytical way to decide whether you should pursue a career in analytics. We shared some economic ways to getting started and mind-set required for entering into this exciting field.
- Interview: Ranjan Sinha, eBay on Winner Insights from International Sorting Competitions - Jun 10, 2015.
We discuss advancements in the field of Personalization, lessons from winning sorting competitions, Data Science trends, career advice, and more.
- Interview: Sheridan Hitchens, Auction.com on Data Science Evolution from a Nerdy Hobby to a Strategic Priority - Jun 4, 2015.
We discuss the evolution of Data Science expectations, Data Science as a career, advice, and more.
- Interview: Alison Burnham, Scorebig on Optimal, Real-time Pricing through Analytics - May 8, 2015.
We discuss Analytics at ScoreBig, company’s business model, unexpected insights, challenges in customer value management, advice, and more.
- Interview: Haile Owusu, Mashable on Surviving Imprecision in Digital Media Analytics - May 1, 2015.
We discuss the challenges in tracking social media sharing, advice, important trends, and more.
- Interview: Mario Vinasco, Facebook on Advancing Marketing Analytics through Rigorous Experimentation - Apr 27, 2015.
We discuss marketing analytics at Facebook, multi-channel performance assessment, success factors, lessons from Look Back feature, advice, and more.
Pages: 1 2
- Big Data Bootcamp, Austin: Day 2 Highlights - Apr 23, 2015.
Highlights from the presentations by Big Data and Analytics leaders/consultants on day 2 of Big Data Bootcamp in Austin.
- Interview: Michael Li, Data Incubator on Bridging the Data Science Skills Gap between Academia and Industry - Apr 21, 2015.
We discuss the response from hiring companies, recommendations for aspirants, retaining data science talent, advice, and more.
- Interview: Ksenija Draskovic, Verizon on Conquering Fear and Cherishing Creativity for Success in Data Science - Apr 17, 2015.
We discuss career advice, motivation, key qualities sought in Data Science practitioners, and more.
- Interview: Xia Wang, AstraZeneca on Big Data and the Promise of Effective Healthcare - Apr 10, 2015.
We discuss challenges in analyzing text data, Big Data impact on translational bioinformatics, advice, desired skills in data scientists, and more.
Pages: 1 2
- Interview: Alessandro Gagliardi, Glassdoor on the Fun and Boring Part of Data Scientist Job - Apr 3, 2015.
We discuss interesting trends, motivation, different aspects of data scientist job, advice, and more.
Pages: 1 2
- Interview: Bill Moreau, USOC on the Pursuit of a Career in Sports Analytics - Mar 28, 2015.
We discuss challenges in applying Data Analytics to sports, advice to beginners in the field of Sports Analytics, and more.
- Interview: Vince Darley, King.com on What do you need to become Top Grossing Game - Mar 19, 2015.
We discuss common characteristics of games that achieved top ranking, career advice, trends, desired qualities in data scientists and more.
- Interview: Kenneth Viciana, Equifax on Data Governance – Red Tape or Catalyst? - Mar 14, 2015.
We discuss recommendations for Data Governance policies, advice, Big Data trends, qualities sought in Data Scientists, and more.
- Interview: Josh Hemann, Activision on Why the Tolerance for Ambiguity is Vital - Mar 12, 2015.
We discuss handling bias in data, other data quality concerns, advice, desired qualities, and more.
- Careers in Data Science and Business Analytics – NYU Seminar, Mar 28 - Mar 4, 2015.
In an upcoming one-day seminar by NYU School of Professional Studies, Kaiser Fung will explain how to shape a career in data science and business analytics. Date: March 28, 2015. Registration: Open.
- Interview: David Kasik, Boeing on Data Analysis vs Data Analytics - Feb 23, 2015.
We discuss the impact of increasing amount of data on visualization, difference between Data Analysis and Data Analytics, motivation, trends, desired skills and more.
- Interview: John Schitka, SAP on The Type of Data Scientists We Need - Jan 24, 2015.
We discuss the focus areas of Big Data strategy at SAP, how SAP is leading the competition, the kind of data scientists we need, advice and more.
- Interview: Arno Candel, H2O.ai on the Journey from Physics to Machine Learning - Jan 22, 2015.
We discuss Arno’s career path, transition from Physics to Machine Learning, talent gap in Big Data, advice and more.
- Data Scientist: Owning Up to the Title - Dec 5, 2014.
Regardless of how Data Science or Data Scientist is defined, if you are going to use the word "scientist" in your title, you are going to be held accountable for it.
- KDnuggets Exclusive: Marten Mickos, SVP, HP on the Role of Open Source in Cloud industry - Nov 15, 2014.
In an exclusive interview with KDnuggets, Marten talks about HP’s Open Source strategy, evolution of Open Source production model, learning from the success of Open Source in Web, trends and more.
- Why analysts should master public speaking - Jul 27, 2014.
Learn how to advance your career and increase the adoption of your analysis by conveying your message more clearly using public speaking experience.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 12-13: Guide to Data Science Cheat Sheets; How to analyze Facebook Networks using R - May 14, 2014.
Guide to Data Science Cheat Sheets; Clever hack: How to analyze Facebook Networks using R; Very useful - Introduction to #SQL for Data Scientists; Planning a late career shift to Analytics /Data Science? Be prepared.
- Big Data Leads Top Paying Skills - Apr 29, 2014.
Big Data related skills led the list of top paying technical skills (six-figure salaries) in 2013. Several other useful insights are available in the Dice Tech Survey Report, available for free download.
- Top stories for Mar 30 – Apr 5: Exclusive Interview – LinkedIn Economic Graph - Apr 6, 2014.
Is Data Scientist the right career path - Candid advice; Exclusive: Interview with Sriram Sankar - LinkedIn Economic Graph; Information Management 10 More Big Data Companies; Top stories in March: Machine Learning in 7 Pictures.
- KDnuggets 14:n08, Is Data Scientist the right career path for you? FiveThirtyEight stumbles - Apr 3, 2014.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including candid advice on Data Scientist career, FiveThirtyEight stumbles on climate change, Boston Panel on Next Big Thing in Big Data, and White House/MIT Big Data Privacy Workshop report.
- Top stories in March: Machine Learning in 7 Pictures; How Many Data Scientists? - Apr 2, 2014.
Also - The Dos and Donts of Data Mining; Is Data Scientist the right career path for you - Candid advice.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Mar 28-30: SAS vs R vs Python, ecosystem comparison; Practical Data Science with R - Mar 31, 2014.
SAS vs. R vs. Python - Which should you learn?; New Book: Practical Data Science with R ; Is Data Scientist the right career path for you? Candid advice; Must read books for people interested in Analytics.
- Top stories for Mar 23-29 - Mar 30, 2014.
Data Scientists Salary Poll: US, Canada, Australia lead; Is Data Scientist the right career path for you? New Book: Practical Data Science with R; Test your numbersense.
- Is Data Scientist the right career path for you? Candid advice - Mar 28, 2014.
Candid advice from an industry veteran reveals the true picture behind the much-talked-about Data Scientist "glamour" and helps people have the right expectations for a Data Science career.
- Fractal Analytics Interview Highlights - Mar 27, 2014.
Fractal Analytics CEO on starting the company, competing with the best, managing attrition, attributes he looks for when hiring, 4 different analytics career tracks, strategic bets, and advice for starting data scientists.