- How to think like a data scientist to become one - Mar 23, 2017.
The author went from securities analyst to Head of Data Science at Amazon. He describes what he learned in his journey and gives 4 useful rules based on his experience.
- How to Get a Data Science Job: A Ridiculously Specific Guide - Mar 7, 2017.
Job hunting is challenging and sometimes frustrating task and we all experience it in our career. Here we provide a very specific and practical guide to get your dream job in Data Science world.
- How to get your first job in Data Science? - Feb 6, 2017.
We provide guidelines for the most important questions, including the key data scientist skills and tools, how to get them, how to learn and practice, and where to send your application.
- Kobielus Predictions for Data Science in 2017 - Dec 5, 2016.
IBM Data Evangelist James Kobielus predictions for 2017, including key role of data scientists in survival of their companies. Join industry experts for a live #MakeDataSimple Crowdchat on Thursday December 8 at 1:00pm EST.
- Mind of a Data Scientist – Part 2 - Oct 26, 2016.
First part of this series was about formulation of the business problem and engineering the data points. This is the last part of the series and it tells us about exploratory data analysis and feature engineering.
Pages: 1 2
- Mind of a Data Scientist – Part 1 - Oct 25, 2016.
By now, many people are aware of which technical skills are required for a Data Scientist, but do you know what mindset or thinking is required to be a good data scientist? Let’s read this two parts series by an industry expert.
- How to Become a Data Scientist – Part 3 - Sep 6, 2016.
This is the third and final part of a thorough, in-depth overview of becoming a data scientist, written by a recruiter in the field. This part focuses on the job market.
Pages: 1 2 3
- How to Become a Data Scientist – Part 2 - Aug 30, 2016.
Check out part 2 of this excellent series of articles on becoming a data scientist, written by someone who spends their day recruiting data scientists. This installation focuses on learning.
Pages: 1 2
- How to Become a Data Scientist – Part 1 - Aug 22, 2016.
Check out this excellent (and exhaustive) article on becoming a data scientist, written by someone who spends their day recruiting data scientists. Do yourself a favor and read the whole way through. You won't regret it!
Pages: 1 2 3 4
- 10 Must Have Data Science Skills, Updated - May 23, 2016.
An updated look at the state of the data science landscape, and the skills - both technical and non-technical - that are absolutely required to make it as a data scientist.
Pages: 1 2
- Building effective “Citizens Data Scientist” teams - Apr 28, 2016.
The idea of citizen data scientists is being for more than a year, which suggests businesses to put the people from the business side in the work of exploring and analyzing data. Understand how you and your organisation can be benefitted by this.
Pages: 1 2
- Career Advice to Data Scientists – Go Make More Money - Mar 16, 2016.
Data Scientist should offer the enterprise more than the ability (and cost) of doing analysis, but behave as an executive with expertise in analysis and help lead the enterprise on decisions, investments, and operations.
- How to tell a great analyst from a good analyst - Mar 15, 2016.
Good analyst help businesses to stay in the competition, but great analyst sets the business apart from its competition. Learn more about how to be a great analyst by walking that extra mile.
- Practical Career Advice and Best Practices in Analytics - Mar 10, 2016.
Being an analyst is not only a technical job it also has a peoples side to it. Given that many MBAs, engineers, and even non-quantitative graduates are interested in Analytics careers, we are sharing some advice on best practices for excelling with Analytics in your career.
- KDnuggets™ News 16:n07, Feb 24: Deep Learning For Everyone; 21 Must-Know Data Science Q&A, part 2; Amazon Machine Learning - Feb 24, 2016.
21 Must-Know Data Science Interview Questions and Answers, part 2; Opening Up Deep Learning For Everyone; Getting Started with Data Visualization; Top 10 Data Visualization Projects on Github; Amazon Machine Learning.
- Software development skills for data scientists - Dec 29, 2015.
Data science is not only about building the models and sharing insights, many times they have to collaborate in deploying models and sharing them with software developers, learn which things to keep in mind while doing so.
- The Art of Data Science: The Skills You Need and How to Get Them - Dec 28, 2015.
Learn, how to turn the deluge of data into the gold by algorithms, feature engineering, reasoning out business value and ultimately building a data driven organization.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 3-9: 500 Deep Learning Papers, Graphviz and Python; Facebook App can answer questions on content of photos - Nov 10, 2015.
500 #DeepLearning Papers, Graphviz and Python; Skills You Need To Become a $240K+ Unicorn Data Scientist: n1 is Apache #Spark; Cartoon: It all started with the iPhone answering my Gmail; Overview of Python Visualization Tools
- Data science job market – what it’s like - Oct 2, 2015.
Data scientist interviews can be complex and there is no definite recipe for the success. Understand the complications and processes of an interview and what you should be careful about before accepting the offer.
Pages: 1 2
- Doing Data Science at Twitter - Sep 16, 2015.
Data scientist career exciting, fulfilling and multidimensional career path. Understand through the journey of a data scientist of twitter about data scientists roles, responsibilities and skills required to perform them.
Pages: 1 2 3
- Are you trying to acquire Machine Learning Skills? - Sep 16, 2015.
Embarking on a journey through the lands of machine learning? Here are few important lessons like Feature Engineering, Model tuning, Overfitting, Ensembling etc. which you should keep in mind along the way.
- Salaries by Roles in Data Science and Business Intelligence - Sep 9, 2015.
Data Scientist is the hottest role. What's next? We present national average salaries, job title progression in career, job trends and skills for popular job titles in Data Science & Business Intelligence. Check out the salaries of related roles.
- Paradoxes of Data Science - Aug 21, 2015.
There are many paradoxes, ironies and disconnects in today’s world of data science: pain points, things ignored, shoved under the rug, denied or paid lip.
- Statistics Denial Myth: Repackaging Statistics With Straddling Terms - Jul 16, 2015.
Data science is nothing but the old wine in new bottle versions of the statistics with different fields. Here, we are busting the myth which states data scientist is new and different than traditional statisticians.
- KDnuggets Interview: Amr Awadallah, CTO & Co-founder, Cloudera on the Secret Sauce of Open Source - Jul 2, 2015.
We discuss the critical success factor for open source projects, entrepreneurial lessons, advice, desired qualities in data scientists and more.
- Is Analytics Career Right for You? - Jun 12, 2015.
An analytical way to decide whether you should pursue a career in analytics. We shared some economic ways to getting started and mind-set required for entering into this exciting field.
- Will the Real Data Scientists Please Stand Up? - May 18, 2015.
Job postings for data scientists are everywhere. But what is a data scientist? I present a few archetypes.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 4-11: Why #HowOldRobot went viral and how does it work? 3 Things About #DataScience You Won’t Find In Books - May 12, 2015.
Why #HowOldRobot went viral and how does it work? 3 Things About #DataScience You Won't Find In Books; Cartoon reminds all Data Scientists to remember their Mother; Data Scientist vs Data #Engineer.
- Interview: Michael Li, Data Incubator on Bridging the Data Science Skills Gap between Academia and Industry - Apr 21, 2015.
We discuss the response from hiring companies, recommendations for aspirants, retaining data science talent, advice, and more.
- Interview: Alessandro Gagliardi, Glassdoor on the Indispensable Skills for Data Scientists - Apr 1, 2015.
We discuss Analytics at Glassdoor, important lessons, major factors affecting job satisfaction, challenges of working on Twitter Data, indispensable components of Data Science education.
- Data Science as a profession – time is now - Mar 30, 2015.
Now is the time to begin thinking of Data Science as a profession not a job, as a corporate culture not a corporate agenda, as a strategy not a stratagem, as a core competency not a course, and as a way of doing things not a thing to do.
- 5 Lessons from a Data Science Chat - Mar 19, 2015.
Data science applications, key challenges, appropriate skills and more – key takeaways from a data science Tweet chat.
- Interview: Kaiser Fung, NYU on Why Statistical Reasoning is more important than Number Crunching - Mar 5, 2015.
We discuss why every individual should care about statistics, inspiration behind the book Numbersense, teaching statistics as liberal arts, Junk Charts blog, advice and more.
- Interview: Nicholas Marko, Geisinger on the Skills Needed for Healthcare Analytics - Feb 27, 2015.
We discuss challenges of dealing with healthcare data, trends in healthcare analytics, important skills for data scientists and more.
- Interview: Phani Nagarjuna, Nuevora on Right Data and Business Analytics Roadmap - Feb 10, 2015.
We discuss the journey of Business Analytics, definition of Right Data, competitive differentiation of Nuevora, challenges in the large-scale consumerization of analytics, and more.
- Interview: Sharmila Mulligan, ClearStory Data on Variety & Velocity to be Big Data Priorities - Jan 10, 2015.
We discuss the ClearStory Data’s competitive differentiation, client use case, Big Data trends, advice, desired soft skills in data scientists and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 22-28: Top 10 Data Science Skills, and How to Learn Them; How to tell correlation from causation - Dec 29, 2014.
Top 10 Data Science Skills, and How to Learn Them; Mathematicians claim to figure out how to tell correlation from causation; Review of #MOOC Learning from Data - the class that changed everything; Free Big Data sources every Data Science enthusiast should know.
- Top stories for Dec 14-20: Most Demanded Data Science/Data Mining Skills; Watson Analytics vs. Azure Machine Learning - Dec 21, 2014.
Most Demanded Data Science and Data Mining Skills; IBM Watson Analytics vs. Microsoft Azure Machine Learning; Cartoon: Unexpected Data Science Recommendations; 16 NoSQL, NewSQL Databases To Watch.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 15-16: KDnuggets Cartoon: Unexpected Machine Learning Recommendations - Dec 17, 2014.
KDnuggets Cartoon: Unexpected Machine Learning Recommendations; Review: #DataScience at the Command Line - great book; Most Demanded Data Science and Data Mining Skills; The problem is that many ML researchers are not working on on most impactful areas.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 7-14: Google new CAPTCHA trains #AI; Random Forests, SVM give best results - Dec 15, 2014.
Which one is the bunny? Google new CAPTCHA bot-trap trains #AI; O'Reilly Data Scientist Salary and Tools Survey 2014; Microsoft brings the power of #MachineLearning to Office Online; 10 Data Science Newsletters to Subscribe to.
- Most Demanded Data Science and Data Mining Skills - Dec 15, 2014.
Our analysis of most demanded data scientist skills shows that Data Science is a team effort focused on business analytics, with top 5 platform skills being SQL, Python, R, SAS, and Hadoop.
- 2015 Predictions – What’s Next for Data Scientists? - Dec 12, 2014.
What’s next for data scientists in 2015 - new areas they will focus on - cyber threats to fraud detection - and how the expectations for this profession will change.
- Interview: Daqing Zhao, Macys.com on Building Effective Data Models for Marketing - Dec 11, 2014.
We discuss the challenges in identifying the fair price of ad media, recommendations for building effective models for online marketing, unique challenges of Mobile channel, selection of Big Data tools, and more.
- Australia Analytics Professionals Skills and Salary Report - Dec 10, 2014.
The Institute of Analytics Professionals has published a report showing that in Australia data science recruitment is challenging, salaries are high, social analytics is hot, and there are business challenges that analysts face.
- Data Scientist: Owning Up to the Title - Dec 5, 2014.
Regardless of how Data Science or Data Scientist is defined, if you are going to use the word "scientist" in your title, you are going to be held accountable for it.
- Top stories in November: 9 Must-Have Skills for a Data Scientist; IBM Watson Analytics replacing a data scientist? - Dec 4, 2014.
9 Must-Have Skills You Need to Become a Data Scientist; IBM Watson Analytics - Will it Replace Data Scientists ? Update: Top LinkedIn Groups for Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science; R and Hadoop make Machine Learning Possible for Everyone.
- Top stories for Nov 23-29: Update: Top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science - Nov 30, 2014.
Update: Top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science; 9 Must-Have Skills You Need to Become a Data Scientist; Cartoon: Thanksgiving, Big Data, and Turkey Data Science; Most Popular SlideShare Presentations on Data Science.
- Most Popular Slideshare Presentations on Data Science - Nov 25, 2014.
Top SlideShare data science presentations provide a unique view on topics like data science management, using Python and NumPy in your data science project, and leveraging data science for enterprise big data.
- KDnuggets 14:n31, Update: Top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics; Cartoon: Thanksgiving Data Science - Nov 25, 2014.
Update: Top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science; Cartoon: Thanksgiving and Turkey Data Science; 9 Must-Have Skills You Need to Become a Data Scientist, and more.
- 9 Must-Have Skills You Need to Become a Data Scientist - Nov 22, 2014.
Burtch Works details the top 9 data science skills that potential data scientists must have to be competitive in this growing marketplace from the perspective of a recruiter.
- R and Hadoop make Machine Learning Possible for Everyone - Nov 16, 2014.
R and Hadoop make machine learning approachable enough for inexperienced users to begin analyzing and visualizing interesting data to start down the path in this lucrative field.
- Six Thinking Hats and the Life of a Data Scientist - Aug 8, 2014.
Learn about the different "hats" (mindsets) a data scientist should adopt to reach maximum effectiveness in the variety of situations encountered in this emerging field.
- Why analysts should master public speaking - Jul 27, 2014.
Learn how to advance your career and increase the adoption of your analysis by conveying your message more clearly using public speaking experience.
- Top stories for Jun 22-28 - Jun 29, 2014.
Does Deep Learning Have Deep Flaws? What is Text Analytics? Data Science Skills and Business Problems; CRN 50 Emerging Big Data Vendors.
- Data Science Skills and Business Problems - Jun 27, 2014.
Discover what skills a data scientist benefits from learning and how the concept of a data scientist, and what businesses expect of them, has developed over time.
- Interview: George Corugedo, CTO, RedPoint on Big Data Trends and Important Skills - May 13, 2014.
We discuss the key trends in Big Data industry, important skills for Data Science practioners and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 24-26: Great map of #DataScience skills; Online Courses in Predictive Analytics, ML - Jan 27, 2014.
Great map of #DataScience skills (Biz, ML, #BigData, Coding, Stats) vs Roles ; Online Courses in Predictive Analytics, Machine Learning, Data Science; Top #BigData Trend in 2014: Big Data as a Service; Opinion: Why your company should NOT use Big Data.